The Fear Of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Once upon a time, not so long ago and not so far away the notion of the Fear of God was widely held to be a wise attitude.

Today it is either ignored or mocked or held in contempt even by solid Christians.

Whatever happened to the fear of God?

Is there no sense of respect, no notion that Our Father may apply the rod to those whom He loves?

Is God only a marshmellow with a painted smiley face?

Is salvation a license to sin?

Is God only concerned that at the end of the day a good time was had by all?

Or is God righteous, not slack toward us as men count slackness?

Does the fear of God promote righteousness and wisdom or is it hate propaganda?

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Once upon a time, not so long ago and not so far away the notion of the Fear of God was widely held to be a wise attitude.

Today it is either ignored or mocked or held in contempt even by solid Christians.

Whatever happened to the fear of God?

Is there no sense of respect, no notion that Our Father may apply the rod to those whom He loves?

Is God only a marshmellow with a painted smiley face?

Is salvation a license to sin?

Is God only concerned that at the end of the day a good time was had by all?

Or is God righteous, not slack toward us as men count slackness?

Does the fear of God promote righteousness and wisdom or is it hate propaganda?
There is much more fear produced with the grill of a highway patrol car in a Christian's rear view mirror than anything written in the bible concerning the fear of God. Grace has become a license to sin with impunity. It has caused a stupefying level of blindness that rivals that of any unbelieving pagan. Only those who are born from above can see the Holy Spirit in their rear view mirror when they're rolling down the freeway. They aren't worried about Johnny law giving them a ticket. They aren't worried about transgressing God's laws anymore because they aren't about to take any chances on doing something that would fill them with revulsion.

Today we wear our sins on our shirt sleeves like badges of honor. We wave them like flags or banners triumphantly proclaiming our pride in sharing them with whomever we can because unlike the rest of the world who is destined to hell for their sinful ways, we now have the ability to waltz into heaven "just as we are".

We know that there's nothing we can do to earn our salvation so trying is just an excuse for failure. God doesn't want us to go through life worrying about whether we're going to beat the heat. He wants us to enjoy our lives. When "all things work together for the good of those love and serve the lord" then the very idea of wrong is exactly equal to the idea of what is right in terms of cosmic usefulness; both are equal to everything else.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the fear of God is meant to mean awe and reverence. the idea where God wants you to be scared of Him is a worldly view. God does not fear anything so why would God tell you to fear something. it is our own lack of relationship with God that shows us how much we know Him. when we come to the realization of who God actually is then we will realize how absurd our thinking was.

God bless

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
the fear of God is meant to mean awe and reverence. the idea where God wants you to be scared of Him is a worldly view. God does not fear anything so why would God tell you to fear something. it is our own lack of relationship with God that shows us how much we know Him. when we come to the realization of who God actually is then we will realize how absurd our thinking was.

God bless
We can pretend that we're not awe struck by the mercy and justice of Almighty God, but what He has done should strike fear in anyone who is able to see the gravity of what sin produces in their lives. We aren't supposed to fear sin either, but when we sin, we don't see the awe or grandeur of God, nor do we see the gravity of what sin is doing to ourselves or others. This is what a relationship with God produces. Prior to that no one has any inkling of fear, awe, reverence, etc. The concept of fear has taken on a lot of baggage over the years; people talk about it like it's a bad thing. The children of Israel were requested to draw near to God at Mt. Sinai to be proven by God, and they were so terrified they just simply pleaded with Moses to act as their mediator and to let God know that whatever God wanted from them they'd do without question. That's the attitude one takes in the presence of an Almighty God thundering his loving voice upon those he's chosen to be His people. This isn't a command to fear God, this is simply indicative of the natural response of anyone who has any sense of self preservation left in them. Those who have abandoned the futile task of self preservation are another story.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you say

We can pretend that we're not awe struck by the mercy and justice of Almighty God, but what He has done should strike fear in anyone who is able to see the gravity of what sin produces in their lives. We aren't supposed to fear sin either, but when we sin, we don't see the awe or grandeur of God, nor do we see the gravity of what sin is doing to ourselves or others. This is what a relationship with God produces. Prior to that no one has any inkling of fear, awe, reverence, etc. The concept of fear has taken on a lot of baggage over the years; people talk about it like it's a bad thing.
people say fear can be a good thing like fearing to displease God. but you are looking at it all wrong. fear no matter what kind of fear it is bad. fear is not of God. once you know who God is why would you ever fear Him? the problem is that you do not understand who God is. there is so much more to God then you know. God is love and love casts out all fear. so if you are fearing God then you do not love God with all your heart.

you say
The children of Israel were requested to draw near to God at Mt. Sinai to be proven by God, and they were so terrified they just simply pleaded with Moses to act as their mediator and to let God know that whatever God wanted from them they'd do without question. That's the attitude one takes in the presence of an Almighty God thundering his loving voice upon those he's chosen to be His people. This isn't a command to fear God, this is simply indicative of the natural response of anyone who has any sense of self preservation left in them. Those who have abandoned the futile task of self preservation are another story.
because of what Jesus did for us on the cross we can now have a relationship with God that makes all those people of the old testament jealous. we have a better covenant than they did. i would never wish to ever live like those people in the old testament. i don't fear God but i rejoice in Him and for Him. i enjoy talking to God every day and enjoy it when He talks back. how many of you hear and talk to God every day and He answers you back? you make God talking to people sound like God will lay down His wrath upon you if you are not careful. do you understand that God wants relationship with us? God wants to share all the mysteries of heaven with us. but are you willing to take the time with God and listen? are you going to take time to seek the answers of life from God?

God bless

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok... So is this a grace vs works conversation? Cause it sure sounds like the beginning of one.

I don't bother one way or the other with works of the flesh. I don't try to do them or not do them. I do measure whether they are expedient, whether they edify God or not, and monitor whether I am letting them control my spiritual (as well as natural) life.

I am much more focused on my spiritual life: being a giver, learning and following truth, and praising God.

The funny thing is I do it with joy and really don't have much time or desire for much else. I am still a sinner and without grace, I still have much that could be charged against me. Doesn't matter how much as one fault is enough.

I am not a giver because I am scared that God won't love me (God loveth a cheerful giver). I don't go to Church because I believe I won't get faith (faith cometh by hearing). I don't love and forgive my brothers because I believe God won't love/forive me.

I do it because I like doing it. I do it because Jesus did it first and I (being bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh) am like him.

If you want me to stop sinning (smoking, drinking, lusting after stuff and wonen and stop eating shrimp), you are going to be disappointed and for the record... I don't even do some of those things.

But if you want me to stop I will. Then you can glory in my flesh and I will be justified in the eyes of men!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
you say

We can pretend that we're not awe struck by the mercy and justice of Almighty God, but what He has done should strike fear in anyone who is able to see the gravity of what sin produces in their lives. We aren't supposed to fear sin either, but when we sin, we don't see the awe or grandeur of God, nor do we see the gravity of what sin is doing to ourselves or others. This is what a relationship with God produces. Prior to that no one has any inkling of fear, awe, reverence, etc. The concept of fear has taken on a lot of baggage over the years; people talk about it like it's a bad thing.
people say fear can be a good thing like fearing to displease God. but you are looking at it all wrong.

Not if I'm considering the probability of sin in my life. Whoever considers sin as a possibility is in danger of losing their eternal soul to damnation at that very moment. I can't tell you how many times a so-called born again bible believing Christian has asked me if he were to go out and commit adultery, would he go to hell? The answer is plain; he will not go to hell for he is already in hell. He has taken a sacred union between he, his wife and God Himself, and destroyed and desecrated it. He has played a mind game where he tells himself that he can't help it; his flesh is too weak, and he can always repent later as if feeling bad about it is what repentance is really all about. It is nothing less than justification for sin, and fear and trembling and self loathing are all that awaits him. Fear and shame are blessings from God when rationalizations give way to sin.
fear no matter what kind of fear it is bad. fear is not of God.
I can be an unsaved unbelieving pagan and grant that wholeheartedly. How many people who have never known Christ can say the exact same thing? Countless numbers of Christians and non believers can attest to those exact same beliefs; it's a wide road that leads one to feel relaxed and comfortable with one's own sin.

once you know who God is why would you ever fear Him?
How can you fear what you never knew? The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Yet, it is only a beginning. Fear doesn't necessarily produce more fear. When it is God it produces wisdom. When it is not of God, it produces folly; a mind that tells us that sin isn't as bad as we might think it is.

the problem is that you do not understand who God is.
I understand God only insofar as I am know of Him. We each have our own path to walk with our Maker. It isn't for me to walk your path. You may think and understand, and that is fine for you. I'm not looking for an intellectual relationship with God. I'm not looking for any mediators between me and God; my intellect included.

there is so much more to God then you know.
Exactly my point.

God is love and love casts out all fear. so if you are fearing God then you do not love God with all your heart.

Thanks for pointing out my violation of the first commandment. Shall I remain in the dock and face an exhaustive list of my sins against God now? If it so pleases my Accuser before God to proceed; by my guest.

you say
The children of Israel were requested to draw near to God at Mt. Sinai to be proven by God, and they were so terrified they just simply pleaded with Moses to act as their mediator and to let God know that whatever God wanted from them they'd do without question. That's the attitude one takes in the presence of an Almighty God thundering his loving voice upon those he's chosen to be His people. This isn't a command to fear God, this is simply indicative of the natural response of anyone who has any sense of self preservation left in them. Those who have abandoned the futile task of self preservation are another story.

because of what Jesus did for us on the cross we can now have a relationship with God that makes all those people of the old testament jealous.

I don't think that's what God is looking for as motivation for a relationship with Him. Sounds like that ol' Pharisee thanking God for not being some sad excuse for a sinner.

we have a better covenant than they did.
I'm not sure that comparing a deal you have with someone who blew it is the best way to compare things.

i would never wish to ever live like those people in the old testament.
You mean with the Presence of God dwelling with them continually?

i don't fear God but i rejoice in Him and for Him. i enjoy talking to God every day and enjoy it when He talks back. how many of you hear and talk to God every day and He answers you back?
The only people I hear talking back are my next door neighbor's snotty spoiled kids.

you make God talking to people sound like God will lay down His wrath upon you if you are not careful.
Oh, pardon me, I wasn't aware that carelessness was a virtue; something God is likely to just ignore now that his Son has paid the price with His life.

do you understand that God wants relationship with us?
The way you make it sound, he just wants a relationship with you.

God wants to share all the mysteries of heaven with us.
And we're so grateful to Him for allowing you to let us know he has these secret mysteries. What would we do without you as our mediator?

but are you willing to take the time with God and listen? are you going to take time to seek the answers of life from God?
Why should I? I've already got you telling me everything I need to know , don't I? or, perhaps God has some secrets that are only for you to know?