The Gift Of Suffering For Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
July 12, 2010 The Gift of Suffering for Christ“
I want to talk to you about an unusual gift,” said the Chinese father to his beautiful, black-haired daughter. She smiled with anticipation. She loved it when her wise father shared special lessons about God. He loved Christ, and everyone who knew him was touched with his kindness and compassion.

He opened a worn Bible and began, “This gift is found in Philippians 1:29. It says, ‘For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him.’ Something that is given to us is a ‘gift.’ The two gifts in the verse are belief and suffering. Suffering that results from our belief in God is a precious gift, the value of which will be fully realized only in heaven.”

The daughter smiled. “Thank you, Papa,” she said as she reached up to hug him. “I understand.”

The young girl grew up to be the wife of Pastor Li Dexian, who has been arrested over ten times and nearly beaten to death for his faith. She carries on the work with him, persevering because she learned at a young age that godly suffering is a gift. Pastor Li and his wife have won countless souls to Christ in Communist China, and they continue to work under a constant threat of arrest.

The gifts of belief and suffering are a packaged deal. Not only are they impossible to separate, each gift also strengthens the other. If we have been given the gift of belief in Christ, we will follow Christ. Following Christ means taking risks, going against popular trends, being misunderstood, and even enduring physical and emotional pain. Belief often leads to suffering. As we experience the same kinds of suffering that Jesus lived, we come to know him in a richer and deeper way. The cycle begins again because suffering strengthens our belief. Don’t expect to be able to filter suffering out of your life without reducing your belief in Christ.

http://www.persecuti...for-christ.html

Endzone

May 7, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
True, but not a popular subject. I wonder how much we will suffer when the economy tightens up even more. I'm reminded of that verse that says "And all who live Godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." If, we aren't suffering persecution for righteousness sake, it kind of makes you wonder why we have it so easy.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True, but not a popular subject. I wonder how much we will suffer when the economy tightens up even more. I'm reminded of that verse that says "And all who live Godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." If, we aren't suffering persecution for righteousness sake, it kind of makes you wonder why we have it so easy.

No, it's not a popular subject. But I've read stories of Christians who are suffering for Christ who say it is an honor, a joy and a privilege. I believe this is the attitude we all need to have. I have been posting news stories on how Christians even in the U.S. are being arrested for praying and sharing the gospel publicly and how this is becoming more commonplace. I'm posting these stories because I have great love and concern for other Christians; and also because I have noticed that in most forums I have been in or Christian groups, that stories like these aren't included or considered. And I believe that we need to be praying for Christians who are undergoing persecution, wherever they may be in the world.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I haven't had to suffer for Christ. Not at by the hands of men anyway. I don't know if it's that I don't put myself in the situations. However, all situations I've been lead to have ended peacefully. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe suffering doesn't always mean persecution.

Grat

Feb 18, 2008
Sydney, Australia
God is good. God is merciful.
My wife shared with me an incident that happened while she was attending Bible College. One day the morning worship took off and ended with a number of life changing things, one of which was a prophecy that one of their number would be martyred. Initially it caused some consternation, especially among the Christians from “softer” western environments.
In the end, however, all were blessed because the outcome was an understanding that God will always provide the grace for what He calls us to do. He will not call us to things we cannot do in Him.
We are indeed given a gift to suffer like Him. But the gift is from our loving father.
Just remember that JC Himself endured the Cross not out of duty or some religious need to suffer, but for the joy that was set before Him.
Grat