The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Berserk, I got goosebumps. Today, after quite a few months of God's leading to visit a different church, I did this morning with my 18 month old daughter. My church does not believe in tongues as a prayer language, but I pray in them at home in private. I go back and forth a lot like you did in your testimony, because I was born in a Baptist church and we didnt have these manifestations of the spirit. Well, I didn't hear tongues today, but they mentioned how important it was they pray for their pastors in tongues. And so I got to talk with them afterwards about it. I tell you one thing. I consider my church as an on fire church, but at Forgiven Church, these believers just seemed excited on fire, like it was their Birthday. And the sermon was about how the veil was torn and now we can be like Moses, whose face radiated with the righteousness of God, ALL THE TIME (in so many words). :) 2 Corinthians.

I had fought the idea of visiting, because I've gone to my church 7 years and don't know why I have had these feelings. I want to teach my daughter right though, and tongues isn't really something I can explain or understand, dreams neither that come true...but it is true. I get that fear it is gibberish, but like when I hear like a sermon I heard in this church I visited today, the Holy Spirit bubbled up inside of me.

And whats more, my daughter didnt cry in the childcare at all. Laughed/smiled the whole time. I am glad I visited. I just want to believe without a shadow of the doubt. And maybe it is because my church doesnt believe in tongues as a prayer language, so I have those dual messages/feelings.

But I know one thing. I went to my church after, and told my friend I visited, and found out her and her husband had really talked about visiting another church for awhile now, not knowing why like me. They have two kids still with them. My church is very special. But perhaps the ministries have changed to where I feel called elsewhere...and, it would be nice to be around other believers who believe in these manifestations of the spirit.
It sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Perhaps God has a new path planned for you.

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Perhaps God has a new path planned for you.

Well, I do pray the relationships with my current church family are still involved, because they mean the world to me. They are my only family here in Indiana besides my hubby and baby girl. But I do want to follow God's leading. This church is right before my church service, I just miss the worship songs at mine, so I am going to continue visiting unless God calls me to stop. I want to be careful the path I take, because I have my daughter with me. But I trust God in faith He is doing a work in my life and my husband and daughter.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl
D

Dave L

Dear Berserk, I got goosebumps. Today, after quite a few months of God's leading to visit a different church, I did this morning with my 18 month old daughter. My church does not believe in tongues as a prayer language, but I pray in them at home in private. I go back and forth a lot like you did in your testimony, because I was born in a Baptist church and we didnt have these manifestations of the spirit. Well, I didn't hear tongues today, but they mentioned how important it was they pray for their pastors in tongues. And so I got to talk with them afterwards about it. I tell you one thing. I consider my church as an on fire church, but at Forgiven Church, these believers just seemed excited on fire, like it was their Birthday. And the sermon was about how the veil was torn and now we can be like Moses, whose face radiated with the righteousness of God, ALL THE TIME (in so many words). :) 2 Corinthians.

I had fought the idea of visiting, because I've gone to my church 7 years and don't know why I have had these feelings. I want to teach my daughter right though, and tongues isn't really something I can explain or understand, dreams neither that come true...but it is true. I get that fear it is gibberish, but like when I hear like a sermon I heard in this church I visited today, the Holy Spirit bubbled up inside of me.

And whats more, my daughter didnt cry in the childcare at all. Laughed/smiled the whole time. I am glad I visited. I just want to believe without a shadow of the doubt. And maybe it is because my church doesnt believe in tongues as a prayer language, so I have those dual messages/feelings.

But I know one thing. I went to my church after, and told my friend I visited, and found out her and her husband had really talked about visiting another church for awhile now, not knowing why like me. They have two kids still with them. My church is very special. But perhaps the ministries have changed to where I feel called elsewhere...and, it would be nice to be around other believers who believe in these manifestations of the spirit.
Study the roots of Pentecostalism and the seedy characters who invented it and then decide.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Study the roots of Pentecostalism and the seedy characters who invented it and then decide.

I just study God's Word. People mislead, but God's Word never misleads. People didn't lead me to tongues as a prayer language. Like I said, I was raised in a non charismatic church. Thank you for your concern! I completely understand where you are coming from.

D

Dave L

I just study God's Word. People mislead, but God's Word never misleads. People didn't lead me to tongues as a prayer language. Like I said, I was raised in a non charismatic church. Thank you for your concern! I completely understand where you are coming from.
Just saying, I would not leave my kid with any of the creators of Pentecostalism, nor trust them with my wallet if it had more than 50 bucks in it. The same goes for the examples parading about on YouTube today.

D

Dave L

I don't know what to believe because God hasn't definitively shown me. Like some other things with God, the jury is still out:)
If you study scripture independently asking yourself questions, and then find your answers, there's a good chance you will see today's gifts are nothing like the originals.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saying, I would not leave my kid with any of the creators of Pentecostalism, nor trust them with my wallet if it had more than 50 bucks in it. The same goes for the examples parading about on YouTube today.

Speaking of youtube, what do you think of this sermon.

D

Dave L

Speaking of youtube, what do you think of this sermon.

Thanks for the link. My first impression is it's a one sided sales job for the long expired gifts. Presented without balance against alternative views. Like CNN on steroids. My one thought concerning you is whether you think those in your "mainline " church are saved? And live Holy lives? If so, it is a safe haven for raising your kids without the stigma hanging over their heads as they grow up, that they are part of a weirdo sect. You need to think of them. Some of what the speaker mentioned about healing reminds me of my cult experience where over 100 precious people died needlessly.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the link. My first impression is it's a one sided sales job for the long expired gifts. Presented without balance against alternative views. Like CNN on steroids. My one thought concerning you is whether you think those in your "mainline " church are saved? And live Holy lives? If so, it is a safe haven for raising your kids without the stigma hanging over their heads as they grow up, that they are part of a weirdo sect. You need to think of them. Some of what the speaker mentioned about healing reminds me of my cult experience where over 100 precious people died needlessly.

No church in Christ Jesus is a weirdo sect. And believing in the gifts of the Holy Spirit from the past and from now does not make someone weird either. A safe haven for my daughter would be one that teaches her the Word of God and I will be the one to decide the best one for my child with the leading of God.

And I understand what you mean about not presenting alternative views. Most churches do not speak about the gifts of the spirit. They present their interpretation. I know what the alternate views are of no tongues as a prayer language. This view is refreshing to me. A pastor's job is to present the Truth to anyone willing to hear it.

There are good churches who believe different ways. But I disagree this beautiful message is part of what you would call a "weirdo sect." I was just curious what you thought and what those who do believe in tongues think.

Reactions: Pearl
D

Dave L

No church in Christ Jesus is a weirdo sect. And believing in the gifts of the Holy Spirit from the past and from now does not make someone weird either. A safe haven for my daughter would be one that teaches her the Word of God and I will be the one to decide the best one for my child with the leading of God.

And I understand what you mean about not presenting alternative views. Most churches do not speak about the gifts of the spirit. They present their interpretation. I know what the alternate views are of no tongues as a prayer language. This view is refreshing to me. A pastor's job is to present the Truth to anyone willing to hear it.

There are good churches who believe different ways. But I disagree this beautiful message is part of what you would call a "weirdo sect." I was just curious what you thought and what those who do believe in tongues think.
Just sayin' People perceive things differently and sometimes you don't know you are in a cult until too late.

Reactions: Mayflower

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

We can usefully remember how the Scriptures which as so rich and Spirit inspired are now complete; whereas they were not yet complete when the sign gifts were seen at the very beginning of the church age after Pentecost.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As far as if I think those in my mainline church are saved...if you mean the one I go too. I honestly cannot say. That is between them and God. But I know in the last couple months a wave of youth have entered in. Mire then half the church now are youth between 16 and 23. And it is amazing they are here. But no, I do not believe all of them are there to study God's Word.

Reactions: amadeus and Dave L

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As far as if I think those in my mainline church are saved...if you mean the one I go too. I honestly cannot say. That is between them and God. But I know in the last couple months a wave of youth have entered in. Mire then half the church now are youth between 16 and 23. And it is amazing they are here. But no, I do not believe all of them are there to study God's Word.
A sobering observation: it's good to be far more interested in what God says in His Word rather than in feelings and experiences.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I believe as the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, I cant believe that ALL the spiritual gifts are not for today. And the gifts of tongues/prophecy/etc are not taught in my current church. I just haven't decided how important this is. It seems it is very important.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I believe as the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever, I cant believe that ALL the spiritual gifts are not for today. And the gifts of tongues/prophecy/etc are not taught in my current church. I just haven't decided how important this is. It seems it is very important.
Who the Lord Jesus is, is gloriously the same; the process of revelation in Scripture - not complete when the sign gifts were seen in Acts - is indeed now complete, so it does not need to be added to supposedly.

D

Dave L

Scripture replaced them. The gifts were fragments of God's word in the early New Covenant era. When the Apostles and writers of the New Covenant took the fragments and put them all together, the complete revelation of God appeared. Scripture out performs every gift if you dedicate your time to studying it and letting it be your guide.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture replaced them. The gifts were fragments of God's word in the early New Covenant era. When the Apostles and writers of the New Covenant took the fragments and put them all together, the complete revelation of God appeared. Scripture out performs every gift if you dedicate your time to studying it and letting it be your guide.

But just because a piece of the puzzle helps make the entire puzzle,it doesnt mean that the piece becomes unneeded. Every spiritual gift is part of this complete revelation from what I understand of God's Word. I will always seek out God and let Him be my guide in every area.

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

But just because a piece of the puzzle helps make the entire puzzle,it doesnt mean that the piece becomes unneeded. Every spiritual gift is part of this complete revelation from what I understand of God's Word. I will always seek out God and let Him be my guide in every area.
Paul says the complete replaced the incomplete. And if you spend your time in scripture, the obsolete gifts pale in comparison to it.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who the Lord Jesus is, is gloriously the same; the process of revelation in Scripture - not complete when the sign gifts were seen in Acts - is indeed now complete, so it does not need to be added to supposedly.

I dont believe the spiritual gifts today add anything at all to God's Word. If it did, I wouldn't listen. Tongues encourages and edify believers.