The Jews Testify to The Deity of Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

John 5:16-18:

“Therefore, the Jews began persecuting Jesus because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus responded to them, “My Father is still working, and I am working also.” This is why the Jews began trying all the more to kill Him: Not only was He breaking the Sabbath, but He was even calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God”

“ho pater mou heōs arti ergazetai kagō ergazomai”, Jesus says to the Jews, “My Father”, and not “our Father”, or “your Father”, literally, “He keeps on working till now”, even on the Sabbath Day. This enraged the Jews, because to them, Jesus was not only guilty of violating the Sabbath Day Commands of the Old Testament, but also says that He was not alone in doing so, but, God the Father was also actively Working (ergazetai, the present tense) with Him. Not only so, but the Jews also understand Jesus by saying “ho Pater Mou”, that He was here claiming a special, unique relationship with the Father, as “patera idion”, “one’s own Father”, exclusively.

And in saying what He does, Jesus is here “making Himself equal with God the Father”, and thereby Himself God.

It is very clear here, exactly what the Jews are saying, “ison heauton poiōn tōi theōi”, literally, “making Himself God the Father’s equal”. The Greek here is, “isos (ison)”, where the Unitarian Greek scholar, Dr Thayer says in his lexicon, “to claim for one's self the nature, rank, authority, which belong to God”. The Jews here understand Jesus’ language as being blasphemy, as they considered Him to be a mere human, Who is claiming for Himself equality with God the Father, and thereby making Himself, God. They would know of what Isaiah says, “To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal? says the Holy One” (40:25), and 46:5, “To whom will you compare me, and consider my equal, and compare me, as if we were the same?”

Jesus goes on to say in verse 19, “Then Jesus replied, “I assure you: The Son is not able to do anything on His own, but only what He sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son also does these things in the same way” (all the verbs here in the Greek, and in the present, continuance tense). And, in 14:10, “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, performing His works”. Jesus here clearly says, that what He is doing, is exactly what the Father is doing, because the Father Who “dwells (menōn, present, continuance tense)” in Him, is “performing (poiei, present, continuance tense) His works”.

Note, Jesus does not try to correct the response of the Jews, He does not say to them, that He was saying no such thing, or, did not mean to be understood in they way that they were thinking. Jesus did not respond to these Jews by denying that He is equal to God the Father, which is very clear testimony from Jesus Himself, that He is coequal with God the Father. In fact, in verse 23, Jesus actually confirms what the Jews say on His “equality” with the Father.

“that all should Honour the Son just as they Honour the Father. He who does not Honour the Son does not Honour the Father who sent Him”

“Honour” is the Greek “timáō”, “honour, reverence, esteem, value, prize”. Also, “to exalt, glorify”. In Isaiah 42:8, it says, “I am Yahweh, that is My Name; I will not give My Glory to another or My Praise to idols”. The Hebrew word here “kâbôd” translated as “Glory”, is also used for, “honour, reverence, glory”.

If, as some teach, that Jesus Christ is a created being, and not equal to the Father, and therefore not God. If this were true, Jesus could never have referred to the Father as “My OWN Father”, which makes Him “equal with the Father”. Jesus would have most certainly rebuked and corrected the Jews, for making Him into God, when He is no more than a “representative” of the Father while He was on earth. Neither, as a created being, by the Father, can Jesus have said, that everyone should “Honour” (esteem, exalt, glorify”, Him, in the “same way” (kathōs, “according as, just as, even as”) as they Honour the Father. And, those who don’t “Honour” Jesus, do not “Honour” the Father, Who sent Him.

NO mere created being, regardless of how “exalted” they are in their position as representing God, has ever spoken as Jesus has done. It would rightly be considered as the highest blasphemy.

For those who still point to one of their favourite verses, John 14:28, that Jesus Christ Himself says, “the Father is greater than I”, and, therefore shows that He is not God. These other passages in John’s Gospel, and elsewhere clearly shows, that Jesus is speaking in John 14:28, as The Messiah, The Mediator, between God and man, post Incarnation, when He took upon Himself the “very nature of humans”, while remaining in the “very nature of God”, as Philippians 2:5-8 is clear. John says in his Gospel, 1:1, “and the Word was God”, not “god, or god-like, or divine”, but “God”, in exactly the same way that the Father is “God”, in the same verse. In verse 14, John says, that “the Word (God) became flesh, and lived among us”, which means, the God-Man. Paul says the same in 1 Timothy 3:16, in the Original, and not the corrupted reading, that, “Theos ephanerōthē en sarki”, that is, “God was revealed in the flesh”. God cannot cease to be God, so, in “becoming flesh”, He remained “God”, as is clear from “huparchōn” (Philippians 2:6, literally, “He was and is”, the present as the imperfect), eternally in the “very nature of God”. This “Mystery” is seen in Hebrews 2:9, “But we see Him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus”, on the “subordination” of Jesus Christ “for a little while”, while on earth. “lower than the angels”, which this verse goes on to explain, “because of the suffering of death”, which the heavenly hosts do not experience. Jesus Himself speaks of this temporary “subordination”, to the Father, in John 17:5, “Now, Father, Glorify Me with your own self (para seautōi, along with yourself) with the Glory which I had (hēi eichon, which I have always had) with You before the world existed (pro tou ton kosmon einai, before the existence of the Creation)”.

Those who still argue that Jesus Christ is not coequal with the Father, and therefore Himself Almighty God, The Great I AM. Are fighting against the very clear Teachings of the Holy Bible, and rejectors of Biblical Truth!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 5:16-18:

“Therefore, the Jews began persecuting Jesus because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus responded to them, “My Father is still working, and I am working also.” This is why the Jews began trying all the more to kill Him: Not only was He breaking the Sabbath, but He was even calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God”

“ho pater mou heōs arti ergazetai kagō ergazomai”, Jesus says to the Jews, “My Father”, and not “our Father”, or “your Father”, literally, “He keeps on working till now”, even on the Sabbath Day. This enraged the Jews, because to them, Jesus was not only guilty of violating the Sabbath Day Commands of the Old Testament, but also says that He was not alone in doing so, but, God the Father was also actively Working (ergazetai, the present tense) with Him. Not only so, but the Jews also understand Jesus by saying “ho Pater Mou”, that He was here claiming a special, unique relationship with the Father, as “patera idion”, “one’s own Father”, exclusively.

And in saying what He does, Jesus is here “making Himself equal with God the Father”, and thereby Himself God.

It is very clear here, exactly what the Jews are saying, “ison heauton poiōn tōi theōi”, literally, “making Himself God the Father’s equal”. The Greek here is, “isos (ison)”, where the Unitarian Greek scholar, Dr Thayer says in his lexicon, “to claim for one's self the nature, rank, authority, which belong to God”. The Jews here understand Jesus’ language as being blasphemy, as they considered Him to be a mere human, Who is claiming for Himself equality with God the Father, and thereby making Himself, God. They would know of what Isaiah says, “To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal? says the Holy One” (40:25), and 46:5, “To whom will you compare me, and consider my equal, and compare me, as if we were the same?”

Jesus goes on to say in verse 19, “Then Jesus replied, “I assure you: The Son is not able to do anything on His own, but only what He sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son also does these things in the same way” (all the verbs here in the Greek, and in the present, continuance tense). And, in 14:10, “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, performing His works”. Jesus here clearly says, that what He is doing, is exactly what the Father is doing, because the Father Who “dwells (menōn, present, continuance tense)” in Him, is “performing (poiei, present, continuance tense) His works”.

Note, Jesus does not try to correct the response of the Jews, He does not say to them, that He was saying no such thing, or, did not mean to be understood in they way that they were thinking. Jesus did not respond to these Jews by denying that He is equal to God the Father, which is very clear testimony from Jesus Himself, that He is coequal with God the Father. In fact, in verse 23, Jesus actually confirms what the Jews say on His “equality” with the Father.

“that all should Honour the Son just as they Honour the Father. He who does not Honour the Son does not Honour the Father who sent Him”

“Honour” is the Greek “timáō”, “honour, reverence, esteem, value, prize”. Also, “to exalt, glorify”. In Isaiah 42:8, it says, “I am Yahweh, that is My Name; I will not give My Glory to another or My Praise to idols”. The Hebrew word here “kâbôd” translated as “Glory”, is also used for, “honour, reverence, glory”.

If, as some teach, that Jesus Christ is a created being, and not equal to the Father, and therefore not God. If this were true, Jesus could never have referred to the Father as “My OWN Father”, which makes Him “equal with the Father”. Jesus would have most certainly rebuked and corrected the Jews, for making Him into God, when He is no more than a “representative” of the Father while He was on earth. Neither, as a created being, by the Father, can Jesus have said, that everyone should “Honour” (esteem, exalt, glorify”, Him, in the “same way” (kathōs, “according as, just as, even as”) as they Honour the Father. And, those who don’t “Honour” Jesus, do not “Honour” the Father, Who sent Him.

NO mere created being, regardless of how “exalted” they are in their position as representing God, has ever spoken as Jesus has done. It would rightly be considered as the highest blasphemy.

For those who still point to one of their favourite verses, John 14:28, that Jesus Christ Himself says, “the Father is greater than I”, and, therefore shows that He is not God. These other passages in John’s Gospel, and elsewhere clearly shows, that Jesus is speaking in John 14:28, as The Messiah, The Mediator, between God and man, post Incarnation, when He took upon Himself the “very nature of humans”, while remaining in the “very nature of God”, as Philippians 2:5-8 is clear. John says in his Gospel, 1:1, “and the Word was God”, not “god, or god-like, or divine”, but “God”, in exactly the same way that the Father is “God”, in the same verse. In verse 14, John says, that “the Word (God) became flesh, and lived among us”, which means, the God-Man. Paul says the same in 1 Timothy 3:16, in the Original, and not the corrupted reading, that, “Theos ephanerōthē en sarki”, that is, “God was revealed in the flesh”. God cannot cease to be God, so, in “becoming flesh”, He remained “God”, as is clear from “huparchōn” (Philippians 2:6, literally, “He was and is”, the present as the imperfect), eternally in the “very nature of God”. This “Mystery” is seen in Hebrews 2:9, “But we see Him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus”, on the “subordination” of Jesus Christ “for a little while”, while on earth. “lower than the angels”, which this verse goes on to explain, “because of the suffering of death”, which the heavenly hosts do not experience. Jesus Himself speaks of this temporary “subordination”, to the Father, in John 17:5, “Now, Father, Glorify Me with your own self (para seautōi, along with yourself) with the Glory which I had (hēi eichon, which I have always had) with You before the world existed (pro tou ton kosmon einai, before the existence of the Creation)”.

Those who still argue that Jesus Christ is not coequal with the Father, and therefore Himself Almighty God, The Great I AM. Are fighting against the very clear Teachings of the Holy Bible, and rejectors of Biblical Truth!

The Jews killed Christ!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If it were clear, you would not have to say it is. Jesus died. This is clear and how we know he is NOT equal to the eternal God who raised him from the dead. Jesus explicitly stated that he has a God (John 20:17), and Jesus’ God is the only true God (John 17:3). It is noteworthy that Jesus did not teach the trinity. Why would a Jesus follower teach what Jesus did not?

Jesus did not teach us to pray to the trinity but to a single, unitarian God (who we relate to as father), who is not on Earth, as Jesus was, but in heaven. Profound.

If Jesus were God incarnate who merely took on the form of a man and only appeared to die, it has no theological significance at all, for God is all powerful and can do anything. 1 Timothy 2:5 (NLT) There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. Interestingly, the emphasis here is the distinction between 2 beings - God, in his singular, unitarian nature (not 3-in-1) and the man who is leveraged for the purpose of reconciliation - to God. According to this verse, if Jesus were God, we would have no means to reconcile ourselves to God. The theological importance of Jesus NOT being God cannot be over-stated!

Acts 17:31 emphasizes that God selected this man. If Jesus were any kind or part of God, such an absurd verse meaning ‘God selected a man, who is himself in the form of a man’ would never be written because it serves no purpose and violates 2 Cor 1:13 (VOICE) We are not writing to you in anything resembling codes or riddles.

Colossians 3:12 points out that we too are chosen by God. John 1:12 says that we too are sons and daughters of God. So, while Jesus was the only son of God, as all firstborns are, he is no longer the only son of God. This is the theological inheritance the Bible speaks of. Jesus is one of ‘us’ (teaching us to pray to God as a brother to our father), not one of ‘them’ (pray to me or to F, S & HS).

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it were clear, you would not have to say it is. Jesus died. This is clear and how we know he is NOT equal to the eternal God who raised him from the dead. Jesus explicitly stated that he has a God (John 20:17), and Jesus’ God is the only true God (John 17:3). It is noteworthy that Jesus did not teach the trinity. Why would a Jesus follower teach what Jesus did not?

Jesus did not teach us to pray to the trinity but to a single, unitarian God (who we relate to as father), who is not on Earth, as Jesus was, but in heaven. Profound.

If Jesus were God incarnate who merely took on the form of a man and only appeared to die, it has no theological significance at all, for God is all powerful and can do anything. 1 Timothy 2:5 (NLT) There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. Interestingly, the emphasis here is the distinction between 2 beings - God, in his singular, unitarian nature (not 3-in-1) and the man who is leveraged for the purpose of reconciliation - to God. According to this verse, if Jesus were God, we would have no means to reconcile ourselves to God. The theological importance of Jesus NOT being God cannot be over-stated!

Acts 17:31 emphasizes that God selected this man. If Jesus were any kind or part of God, such an absurd verse meaning ‘God selected a man, who is himself in the form of a man’ would never be written because it serves no purpose and violates 2 Cor 1:13 (VOICE) We are not writing to you in anything resembling codes or riddles.

Colossians 3:12 points out that we too are chosen by God. John 1:12 says that we too are sons and daughters of God. So, while Jesus was the only son of God, as all firstborns are, he is no longer the only son of God. This is the theological inheritance the Bible speaks of. Jesus is one of ‘us’ (teaching us to pray to God as a brother to our father), not one of ‘them’ (pray to me or to F, S & HS).
And an excellent last statement in bold...keep this one for your writings you may be currently working on.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going back to the most importance fact of the Bible, that Jesus died for that is the only way the Lamb <of God> could take away the sins of the world.

The penalty of sin is death – real death, fully dead, truly and completely dead – and God could not pay this price for us since he never dies, is eternal and unchanging. Fulfilling this role via substitutionary punishment is why the Messiah was prophesied. Acts 17:31 explicitly states that God raised Jesus from the dead. This side steps the confusing subterfuge trinitarians like to leverage AS IF “the Father” is anyone other than the only true God of Scripture. Any passage that has the word God ought to be read for emphasis “God, in his unitarian nature,” especially in sentences that have both God and Jesus in it.

The juxtaposition of God separate from Jesus is clear to see throughout the NT. By contrast, when the Father and God are in a single verse, they are always united. There is no verse like 1 COR 11:3 that says God is the head of the Father.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are on fire mate.

Thank you! I might be getting confused between the 2 threads ByGraceThroughFaith started today. In the other one, he has implied that equality exists if there is one area where 2 beings are equal RATHER THAN properly conclude inequality exists if there is inequality in any category.

I have not addressed the OP, which is my all-time favorite and funniest means of supporting the false doctrine.

If one uses the standard that the Jews are right, you also have to conclude that they were right to crucify Jesus as committing blasphemy, that he was not the Son of God and therefore sinned by saying so - also making him unequal to God who cannot sin. And if you say they are right in the former case but not the latter case, to paraphrase Ricky Ricardo in talking to Lucy, You got some 'splainin to do. :p

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you! I might be getting confused between the 2 threads ByGraceThroughFaith started today. In the other one, he has implied that equality exists if there is one area where 2 beings are equal RATHER THAN properly conclude inequality exists if there is inequality in any category.

I have not addressed the OP, which is my all-time favorite and funniest means of supporting the false doctrine.

If one uses the standard that the Jews are right, you also have to conclude that they were right to crucify Jesus as committing blasphemy, that he was not the Son of God and therefore sinned by saying so - also making him unequal to God who cannot sin. And if you say they are right in the former case but not the latter case, to paraphrase Ricky Ricardo in talking to Lucy, You got some 'splainin to do. :p

you continue to shows your foolishness by your replies!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you continue to shows your foolishness by your replies!
I am a fool for Christ, the man who saved the world through his humble obedience to his God, the only true God. His accomplishment should not be diminished by supposing a man who died was a god fooling us as he only appeared to die.

Consider the question of what is Biblically more important:
A. 1 Timothy 1:17 (NLT) All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He (singular) is the eternal King, the unseen one (singular) who never dies; he (singular) alone (singular) is God. Amen. (emphasis added)
B. Divide glory, even among God’s servants (explicitly stated to include Jesus @ Acts 3:13)?

I realize you must appeal to duality and contradict yourself at every turn but it is great fun.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a fool for Christ, the man who saved the world through his humble obedience to his God, the only true God. His accomplishment should not be diminished by supposing a man who died was a god fooling us as he only appeared to die.

Consider the question of what is Biblically more important:
A. 1 Timothy 1:17 (NLT) All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He (singular) is the eternal King, the unseen one (singular) who never dies; he (singular) alone (singular) is God. Amen. (emphasis added)
B. Divide glory, even among God’s servants (explicitly stated to include Jesus @ Acts 3:13)?

I realize you must appeal to duality and contradict yourself at every turn but it is great fun.
And you know there is no one mention in your presented scripture, 1 Tim 1:17 of the Son of God, as in many other scripture. And this is done by design, because the subject not about the Son of God, it all about the Father of the Son. who is...the unseen one who never died....he alone is God, YHWH, the only one we worship in heart, mind and spirit and body, with Christ his Son.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wrong, the entire human race did!

sin yes?

but as a nation the Israel or the Jews consented to His death!

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

they rejected their own salvation!

nothing is more perfidious!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And you know there is no one mention in your presented scripture, 1 Tim 1:17 of the Son of God, as in many other scripture. And this is done by design, because the subject not about the Son of God, it all about the Father of the Son. who is...the unseen one who never died....he alone is God, YHWH, the only one we worship in heart, mind and spirit and body, with Christ his Son.

Jesus Christ The Only Wise God

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
sin yes?

but as a nation the Israel or the Jews consented to His death!

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

they rejected their own salvation!

nothing is more perfidious!

Are you saying that what the Jews did not Jesus, which is a HIGH CRIME, is not part of the Will of God?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am liking the term 'Christ' less and less as it is becoming like a last name.

A more precise statement (beyond the awesome Dynamic Duo) is, "Yahwah, who is the Creator God and Father of us all, and his Anointed, Selected, Resurrected, man Servant through whom Reconcilliation may be achieved, named Yeshua."

People have forgotten that god, lord, Christ and Son of God are titles. Another massive contradiction is the notion that we, who are Yahweh's chosen children, is somehow at a different level than the firstborn of all creation, the Son of God. Just exactly how are sons and daughters of X and son of X different?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

whose we??

surely not the holy saints

Athanasius Creed!
(From the early church)
Whoever desires to be saved must above all hold to the catholic faith.

Anyone who does not keep it whole and entire will doubtless perish eternally.

Now this is the catholic faith:

That we worship one God in trinity and the trinity in unity, neither blending their persons nor dividing their essence. For the person of the Father is a distinct person, the person of the Son is another,
and that of the Holy Spirit still another.
But the divinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is one, their glory equal, their majesty coeternal.

What quality the Father has, the Son has, and the Holy Spirit has. The Father is uncreated, the Son is uncreated, the Holy Spirit is uncreated.

The Father is immeasurable, the Son is immeasurable, the Holy Spirit is immeasurable.

The Father is eternal, the Son is eternal,
the Holy Spirit is eternal.

And yet there are not three eternal beings; there is but one eternal being.
So too there are not three uncreated or immeasurable beings, there is but one uncreated and immeasurable being.

Similarly, the Father is almighty, the Son is almighty, the Holy Spirit is almighty. Yet there are not three almighty beings;
there is but one almighty being.

Thus the Father is God,
the Son is God,
the Holy Spirit is God.
Yet there are not three gods;
there is but one God.

Thus the Father is Lord,
the Son is Lord,
the Holy Spirit is Lord.
Yet there are not three lords;
there is but one Lord.
etc.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that what the Jews did not Jesus, which is a HIGH CRIME, is not part of the Will of God?

maybe but they are still guilty and have the spiritual mark of Cain for killing their brother and have wandered the earth like Cain

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only God existed before the world began!

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 1:9
Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Jesus is divine!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

In Hebrews 1:10-12, God the Father says to Jesus Christ:

And:“You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands. They will perish, but You remain; And they will all grow old like a garment; Like a cloak You will fold them up, And they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will not fail.”

These words are from Psalm 102:24-27, where it is used for Almighty God:

I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations. Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

God the Father says that Jesus Christ is The Creator God!

Genesis 1:1 says GOD CREATED, which must mean JESUS CHRIST!

Reactions: theefaith