The joy of living on a busy street

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just gotta say privileged I am to live on a busy city street. What a complete joy!

Between the late night Asian rice rocket cars that do 0-60 in about 2 hours but sound like their breaking the sound speed barrier, to the oily dirt that blankets all of my interior with a black soot (which is impossible to dust off without a good solvent). To the heroine addicts that are always having wild parties on the sidewalk out front at 2am.

Anybody else live as privileged as I do? Just curious and would love to hear about it :watching and waiting:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I live near drug addicts too, there's a lot of vehicle theft here also. I try to give to the people here in need (Acts 20:35). I'm very grateful for what I have but I hope to leave the city soon.
It can be difficult. My neighbor has had two cars stolen, he got them both returned by the police. He has had multiple windows broken out too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just gotta say privileged I am to live on a busy city street. What a complete joy!

Between the late night Asian rice rocket cars that do 0-60 in about 2 hours but sound like their breaking the sound speed barrier, to the oily dirt that blankets all of my interior with a black soot (which is impossible to dust off without a good solvent). To the heroine addicts that are always having wild parties on the sidewalk out front at 2am.

Anybody else live as privileged as I do? Just curious and would love to hear about it :watching and waiting:
Our first house was on a busy main road. No trees in sight. There was a chip shop opposite and a primary school a bit further along and we could hear the children when they were out playing in the yard. It was also a bus route with three double decker buses each way every hour - so six altogether - one every ten minutes, and the pots used to rattle. We didn't have double glazed windows either.

As I was sitting quietly this morning I was enjoying the silence. Where I live now is still on a busy road but we are 40feet back from it with 20 steps up to our front door and we have double glazing, so we only really hear abnormal traffic, like huge lorries and the occasional loud motorbike.

I feel privileged to live here and believe God was instrumental bringing us to this place surrounded by trees and birds. I like silence and I wondered if anybody else does. Sometimes I put the radio on - classical music mainly.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our first house was on a busy main road. There was a chip shop opposite and a primary school a bit further along and we could hear the children when they were out playing in the yard. It was also a bus route with three double decker buses each way every hour - so six altogether - one every ten minutes, and the pots used to rattle. We didn't have double glazed windows either.

As i was sitting quietly this morning I was enjoying the silence. Where I live now is still on a busy road but we are 40feet back from it with 20 steps up to our front door and we have double glazing, so we only really hear abnormal traffic, like huge lorries and the occasional loud motorbike.

I like silence and I wondered if anybody else does. Sometimes I put the radio on - classical music mainly.
Sounds like a good move. I doubt I'm going to be able to get on disability so I will soon begin looking for an employer that will work with my disability although at the hearing the expert said no one would work with me at my level of disability and days missed.

• Sad
Reactions: Debp

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a good move. I doubt I'm going to be able to get on disability so I will soon begin looking for an employer that will work with my disability although at the hearing the expert said no one would work with me at my level of disability and days missed.
Don't give up hope. Keep believing God's promises. Keep praying.
Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

• Love
Reactions: Debp and dev553344

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I live on a quiet little street. But I'm only a half block from the main boulevard.

Once in awhile there might be a car break in...in the underground garage.

But recently our apartment building manager told us all to check our mail each day. Apparently someone has been breaking into the mail boxes for the past two months... maybe more.

I had wondered why I didn't get my Target bill for two months.

Being a Federal crime, those mail thieves will get a long sentence....if ever caught.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to live in a noisy first ring suburb.
We lived just south of the hospital with sirens and helicopters going at all hours.
Six blocks away from the most notorious intersection on the north side.

In the Summer I could hear gunfire at the intersection at night.
When I worked over there, I would see shell casings on the sidewalk and smell
marijuana smoke in the air outside when I arrived at work at 8 AM.

That's where I lived when all the George Floyd stuff happened. Saw our city burn.
We had rented that home for 32 years when the landlord needed us out so that he
could house his family after the Covid crisis. Bummer. That was a hard move.

I worked a long ways to the southwest. So we found a place to the west of there.
It was so unbelievably quiet. There was a small regional airport between us and the international airport.
So, we had no noisy jet traffic overhead, which was constant in the city.

We were in that place for a year and then moved even further to the southwest.
Which put us in closer proximity to where we usually did our shopping.
Unfortunately, we're near a hospital again with all the associated noise.
But I really like this three level townhouse with an attached garage.
And a nice community with walking/biking trails everywhere.

/

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I live on a quiet little street. But I'm only a half block from the main boulevard.

Once in awhile there might be a car break in...in the underground garage.

But recently our apartment building manager told us all to check our mail each day. Apparently someone has been breaking into the mail boxes for the past two months... maybe more.

Being a Federal crime, those mail thieves will get a long sentence....if ever caught.
We have mail thieves also. I have to get my mail daily or I run the risk of getting it stolen. The thief comes by every couple days it seems, as the neighbors don't always get theirs daily and I see it laying on the street some days.

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently someone has been breaking into the mail boxes for the past two months... maybe more.

We have mail thieves also. I have to get my mail daily or I run the risk of getting it stolen. The thief comes by every couple days it seems, as the neighbors don't always get theirs daily and I see it laying on the street some days.
Sometimes my roommates' friends get packages shipped to our address since our street is a little tucked away while packages would be stolen from addresses on larger streets. I doubt the police will catch the thieves, they probably have more pressing problems. Do you know if any of your neighbors have security cameras? I hope they're submitting the footage to the police if they do.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our letter box is in our front door so the mail come directly into our home. Most people have that sort of letter box but a few in more remote areas may have their letter delivered to a box further away from their property. 1706558979398.png

Reactions: Lambano and Debp

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My father was a schoolteacher and he would often get phone calls late at night from some of his students asking him if he lived on such and such a road, and when he said that he did, the student told him, "You better get the house off of the road because a truck will crash into it.

And yes, it was a busy road between the main town and the seaside village.

• Haha

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes my roommates' friends get packages shipped to our address since our street is a little tucked away while packages would be stolen from addresses on larger streets. I doubt the police will catch the thieves, they probably have more pressing problems. Do you know if any of your neighbors have security cameras? I hope they're submitting the footage to the police if they do.
I should have asked the manager if she reported it to police. She did mention she asked the mailman if he needed a new lock on the boxes.

The thief wouldn't break into individual boxes. He opened the entire door like the mailman would.

And our lobby and some other areas have security cameras.

Reactions: Chains Broken