The Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
veteran said:
That's right, Isaiah 22 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the office of a bishop or pope. It has EVERYTHING to do with this...

Isa 9:6-7
6 For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon His kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
(KJV)

Isa 22:21-25
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house.
24 And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his father's house, the offspring and the issue, all vessels of small quantity, from the vessels of cups, even to all the vessels of flagons.
25 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down, and fall; and the burden that was upon it shall be cut off: for the LORD hath spoken it.
(KJV)

What was that you said now about having already proven the meaning of that Isaiah 22 Scripture? Maybe in your 'dreams' you have done so, but not here. You cannot just go reassigning the meanings there God gives in regard to the throne of David and Christ's Kingdom to come sitting upon the throne of David, on earth IN JERUSALEM, for that's what the Isa.22 Scripture is symbolically referring to, even in connection with the house of Judah. And you think just because the origin of the word 'pope' comes from 'papa' that justifies assigning that there? Nuts.
So, you are saying that Isaiah 22 is not true?? You are saying that Eliakim was not the "father" of Jerusalem as it says in the Holy Bible??

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Selene said:
So, you are saying that Isaiah 22 is not true?? You are saying that Eliakim was not the "father" of Jerusalem as it says in the Holy Bible??
I said what I said, and you are able to read exactly... what I said.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Hi Axehead,

I have been perusing the content of this post and feel we are over looking the scripture.

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Jesus had asked "whom say ye that I am?" and Peter answered correctly by noting that he is the Christ"

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Now Jesus tells him that he is correct and upon the knowledge of who he is, the church will be built. This knowledge will be passed on by Peter first.

On the day of Pentecost Peter worshipping in the Holy Ghost when:

Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Peter then started preaching from the book of Joel:

Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Act 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Act 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Act 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Peter goes on to tell them what has to be done to enter into the kingdom.
Repent, be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Act 2:38) This relates to what Jesus had told Nicodemus when he said "except a man be born of the water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (Joh 3:5)

**There is another post on being born again**

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's right, Isaiah 22 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the office of a bishop or pope. It has EVERYTHING to do with this...
First, Isa 9:6-7 has to do with the birth of Christ, and has NOTHING to do with the hard evidence of succession of earthly rulers found in Isa 22, the evidence you refuse (or cannot) accept. The Pope does not replace Jesus as Head of the earthly Church, that is another Protestant myth.
Isa 22:21-25
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
"shall be a father..." "Call no man father..." for shame, for shame...blah blah blah.
In another thread, some self proclaimed scholar said Eliakim forshadowed Jesus.

Eliakim is called “father” or “papa” of God's people. The word Pope used by Catholics to describe the chief steward of the earthly kingdom simply means papa or father in Italian. This is why Catholics call the leader of the Church "Pope." The Pope is the father of God's people, the chief steward of the earthly kingdom and Christ's representative on earth.
22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
We see that the keys of the kingdom pass from Shebna to Eliakim. Thus, the keys are used not only as a symbol of authority, but also to facilitate succession. The keys of Christ's kingdom have passed from Peter to Linus all the way to our current Pope with an unbroken lineage for almost 2,000 years.

Rev. 1:18; 3:7; 9:1; 20:1 - Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. By using the word "keys," Jesus gives Peter authority on earth over the new Davidic kingdom, and this was not seriously questioned by anyone until the Protestant reformation 1,500 years later after Peter’s investiture.
What was that you said now about having already proven the meaning of that Isaiah 22 Scripture? Maybe in your 'dreams' you have done so, but not here.
Yes, here. An exegesis of the text is found in post 31 of this thread.
You cannot just go reassigning the meanings there God gives in regard to the throne of David and Christ's Kingdom to come sitting upon the throne of David, on earth IN JERUSALEM, for that's what the Isa.22 Scripture is symbolically referring to, even in connection with the house of Judah.
Yes, that is what we are trying to tell you.
And you think just because the origin of the word 'pope' comes from 'papa' that justifies assigning that there? Nuts.
The origin of any term does not justify anything, that is not the point. The Christ gave Peter the keys of the kingdom, and no one else. An office without successors is not an office; this applies to Isa 22 and Paul writes about the office of bishop in 1 Tim 3:1. Does your church even have bishops?

Jer. 33:17

Jeremiah prophesies that David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the earthly House of Israel. Either this is a false prophecy, or David has a successor of representatives throughout history.

Dan. 2:44

Daniel prophesies an earthly kingdom that will never be destroyed. Either this is a false prophecy, or the earthly kingdom requires succession.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
kepha31 said:
First, Isa 9:6-7 has to do with the birth of Christ, and has NOTHING to do with the hard evidence of succession of earthly rulers found in Isa 22, the evidence you refuse (or cannot) accept.
You need re-read Isaiah 22:21-25 again, along with Rev.3:7. It is about our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Root and offspring of David, and Christ is The BRANCH. Eliakim is put as symbolic of Christ Who was still yet to come from that point in Isaiah's days.

Shebna the scribe who was then over the treasury, represents the false nail that tries to be the true nail that was to come. The association is like the Deut.32:31 verse about "their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges." That's why God made the following symbolic association about that scribe Shebna...

Isa 22:15-20
15 Thus saith the Lord GOD of hosts, "Go, get thee unto this treasurer, even unto Shebna, which is over the house, and say,
16 'What hast thou here? and whom hast thou here, that thou hast hewed thee out a sepulchre here, as he that heweth him out a sepulchre on high, and that graveth an habitation for himself in a rock?'

The idea is of Shebna representing a follower of the false "rock", the lower case "rock" of Deut.32:31 instead of following The "Rock", The LORD GOD. The idea of hewing out a tomb ("sepulchre") on high as a habitation in a rock is about a false exalting above God that He is going to shake in the end, and it will fall. That is being given in contrast to the idea of the nail fastened in a sure place, which Shebna tries to pass himself off as. The ultimate symbolic association is directly with Satan who seeks to be The Rock, wanting to be God in His Place, which is what the very first sin was about, Satan coveting God's Throne in the beginning.

Isa.22:17 Behold, the LORD will carry thee away with a mighty captivity, and will surely cover thee.
18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.
19 And I will drive thee from thy station, and from thy state shall he pull thee down.

That above is what God said He will do to those like Shebna, the false scribe linked to the false "rock". It is a llink to the Jeremiah 24 prophecy about the evil basket of figs that God said he would also give to Zedekiah in Jerusalem, and would then deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, and a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse (Jer.24:8-10).

Isa.22:20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call My servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
(KJV)

In what "day"? When will our Heavenly Father fasten the true Nail in a sure place, even forever? At the time of Christ's second coming. That's the "day" ultimately meant here. Eliakim is representative of following the true Rock, and ultimately is a pointer directly to Christ Jesus Who upon God's Government shall ultimately rest per Isaiah 9.

Isa 22:25
25 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down, and fall; and the burden that was upon it shall be cut off: for the LORD hath spoken it.
(KJV)

By the time of Christ's first coming, the literal persons of Shebna and Eliakim were already dead and buried. The person of Eliakim was overseer of the house of Hezekiah, king of Judah, in Isaiah's days. He went to Isaiah covered in sackcloth (humbled himself) to beseech God's help per king Hezekiah's request (Isa.36 & 37).

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Selene said:
That is incorrect. The Holy Bible says that Christ gave the "keys" ONLY to St. Peter. He did not give the keys to anyone else in the New Testament. The Spirit of God is given to many people, but the keys was given only to one person.

Matthew 16:19 I will give YOU the keys to the kingdom of Heaven.

Christ was speaking only to Peter when He said this.
Jesus didn't give the keys to Peter, He gave then to His Church.
Read Matt 16: 16--20 in it's RIGHT context, And you will know that Jesus gave the keys to His Church.

If you read it as the original Greek says it, You will see what Jesus actually said.
Here is the discorse.
V16, Thou art the Christ, The Son of the living God.
V17, Blessed art thou Simon bar Jona for flesh and blood has hath not revealed it unto thee, But My Father which is in heaven.
V18.And upon this rock, [The Rock of revelation that Jesus is the Christ], I will build My Church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
V19.And I will give unto thee, [The Church] The keys of the Kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever you shal bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
V20Then He chaged His DISIPLES.

Not just Peter.

As for, "Thou art Peter",. Peter in Aramaic, Is, "Kepha" A stone.
Peter in Greek is, "Petros".
A stone that is easily moved or shaken.....Didn't Peter prove it???..Absolutely

The "Rock" in Aramaic is, "Shu'a".
The rock in Greek is, "Petra".
A solid foundation.

Two different Aramaic words, Two different meanings,
Two different Greek words, Two different meanigs.

Plus, Jesus DIDN'T say, "And on YOU [PETER, KEPHA, PETROS] I will build My Church".....DID HE???.. No.No..
He said Upon this Rock, "Shu'a, Petra", I will build My Church.

Plus, The Church is built on the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, PLURAL, Eph 2: 20.
Not One Apostle, [SINGULAR] Such as Peter.

There is no way that Jesus built His Church on Peter.
The Bible, Greek and Aramaic, ALL prove that Jesus DIDN'T build His Church on Peter....FACT.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Veteran says:

You need re-read Isaiah 22:21-25 again, along with Rev.3:7. It is about our Lord Jesus Christ.

No, it isn't.

Isa. 22: 19 I will thrust you from your office, and you will be pulled down from your station. 20 In that day I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, (it doesn't say or infer to Jesus, you are wrong) 21 and I will clothe him (Eliakim, not Jesus.) with your robe, and will bind your sash on him, (Eliakim, not Jesus.) and will commit your authority to his hand. And he (Eliakim, not Jesus) shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. 22 And I will place on his shoulder (Eliakim's shoulder, not Jesus'shoulder.) the key of the house of David. He (Eliakim, not Jesus) shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open. 23 And I will fasten him (Eliakim, not Jesus, you are wrong) like a peg in a secure place, and he will become a throne of honor to his father's house. 24 And they will hang on him (Eliakim, not Jesus) the whole weight of his father's house, the offspring and issue, every small vessel, from the cups to all the flagons. 25 In that day, says the LORD of hosts, the peg that was fastened in a sure place will give way; and it will be cut down and fall, (the Temple was reduced to rubble in 70 AD along with the Jewish priesthood) and the burden that was upon it will be cut off, for the LORD has spoken."

Revelation 3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: `The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens.

You are saying Jesus is giving himself the key of David, which makes no sense. Jesus is not talking about himself here.
Rev. 1:18; 3:7; 9:1; 20:1 - Jesus' "keys" undeniably represent authority. By using the word "keys," Jesus gives Peter authority on earth over the new Davidic kingdom, and this was not seriously questioned by anyone until the Protestant reformation 1,500 years later after Peter’s investiture.
He is the Root and offspring of David, and Christ is The BRANCH. Eliakim is put as symbolic of Christ Who was still yet to come from that point in Isaiah's days.
BRANCH is not in Isaiah 22. Moses is symbolic of Christ, but there is nothing in scripture to support the notion that Eliakim forshadows or is symbolic of Jesus.
Shebna the scribe who was then over the treasury, represents the false nail that tries to be the true nail that was to come.
I agree that Shebna could represent Judaism that lost her authority to bind and lose to Peter, but if Eliakim represents Christ, who is the person that Shebna represents? If Jesus never mixes his metaphors, why do you?
The association is like the Deut.32:31 verse about "their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges." That's why God made the following symbolic association about that scribe Shebna...

Isa 22:15-20
15 Thus saith the Lord GOD of hosts, "Go, get thee unto this treasurer, even unto Shebna, which is over the house, and say,
16 'What hast thou here? and whom hast thou here, that thou hast hewed thee out a sepulchre here, as he that heweth him out a sepulchre on high, and that graveth an habitation for himself in a rock?'
The idea is of Shebna representing a follower of the false "rock", the lower case "rock" of Deut.32:31 instead of following The "Rock", The LORD GOD. The idea of hewing out a tomb ("sepulchre") on high as a habitation in a rock is about a false exalting above God that He is going to shake in the end, and it will fall. That is being given in contrast to the idea of the nail fastened in a sure place, which Shebna tries to pass himself off as. The ultimate symbolic association is directly with Satan who seeks to be The Rock, wanting to be God in His Place, which is what the very first sin was about, Satan coveting God's Throne in the beginning.

Isa.22:17 Behold, the LORD will carry thee away with a mighty captivity, and will surely cover thee.
18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.
19 And I will drive thee from thy station, and from thy state shall he pull thee down.

That above is what God said He will do to those like Shebna, the false scribe linked to the false "rock". It is a llink to the Jeremiah 24 prophecy about the evil basket of figs that God said he would also give to Zedekiah in Jerusalem, and would then deliver them to be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth for their hurt, and a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse (Jer.24:8-10).

Isa.22:20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call My servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
(KJV)
In what "day"? When will our Heavenly Father fasten the true Nail in a sure place, even forever? At the time of Christ's second coming. That's the "day" ultimately meant here. Eliakim is representative of following the true Rock, and ultimately is a pointer directly to Christ Jesus Who upon God's Government shall ultimately rest per Isaiah 9.

There is no association whatsoever with Deut. 32:31. "their rock" refers to false gods, "...a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them." Deut.32: 28 You are saying God associates pagans with the House Of Judah. God was fed up with Shebna over his ego worship, making a monument in a high place to be buried in, carved out of the rock where they buried dignitaries. That is what a sepulchure is for. The "their rock" in Deut. 32:31 is not a sepulchure.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
kepha31 said:
Isa. 22: 19 I will thrust you from your office, and you will be pulled down from your station. 20 In that day I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, (it doesn't say or infer to Jesus, you are wrong) 21 and I will clothe him (Eliakim, not Jesus.) with your robe, and will bind your sash on him, (Eliakim, not Jesus.) and will commit your authority to his hand. And he (Eliakim, not Jesus) shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. 22 And I will place on his shoulder (Eliakim's shoulder, not Jesus'shoulder.) the key of the house of David. He (Eliakim, not Jesus) shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none s?
The way we know the last reference about the nail fastened in a sure place is about Christ in final, is because that's when the fake nail that Shebna represents will be REMOVED, even forever. As of today, those which Shebna represents (the false scribe), they are still in power in Jerusalem. Christ's return is the "day" that final Scripture section is actually pointing to. Those are 'burden' Isaiah chapters, and they contain many prophecies for the end of this world.

Furthermore, that is The Father speaking about The Son in that respect of the True Nail fastened in a sure place in final, for Christ Jesus ONLY is given authority of the 'key of David' that no man may open or shut, and He gives it to whom He chooses, not who men choose (as per Rev.3:7).

kepha31 said:
There is no association whatsoever with Deut. 32:31. "their rock" refers to false gods, "...a nation void of counsel, neither is there any understanding in them." Deut.32: 28 You are saying God associates pagans with the House Of Judah. God was fed up with Shebna over his ego worship, making a monument in a high place to be buried in, carved out of the rock where they buried dignitaries. That is what a sepulchure is for. The "their rock" in Deut. 32:31 is not a sepulchure.
You can deny what the Isaiah 22:16 verse is about, but it won't matter. There's quite a few links to the false scribes of the Kenites that crept in among Judah at Jerusalem. That's who the scribe Shebna represents there, as also Edomites that blended in with Judah after the nation of Edom was destroyed, for king Herod was an Edomite, as also were some high priests around the era of Christ's first coming (per Jewish historian Josephus). And that's why God said this to the false scribe Shebna specifically...

Isa 22:15-16
15 Thus saith the Lord GOD of hosts, Go, get thee unto this treasurer, even unto Shebna, which is over the house, and say,
16 "What hast thou here? and whom hast thou here, that thou hast hewed thee out a sepulchre here, as he that heweth him out a sepulchre on high, and that graveth an habitation for himself in a rock?"
(KJV)

Not only does God ask what have we here, but He asks WHOM have we here, i.e. WHO is this Shebna? In the underlined part, God is comparing the nest that Shebna has made for himself as nothing more than a sepulchre, a tomb for the dead, which points to who Shebna was following? The false 'rock', for God is our Rock...

Deut 32:36-37
36 For the LORD shall judge His people, and repent Himself for His servants, when He seeth that their power is gone, and there is none shut up, or left.
37 And He shall say, "Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted,"
(KJV)

1 Sam 2:2
2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside Thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
(KJV)

2 Sam 22:2-3
2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
3 The God of my rock; in Him will I trust: He is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; Thou savest me from violence.
(KJV)

Since God gave that false 'rock' vs. Him as The True Rock type symbolic association early on in His Word, you were supposed to be aware of it, and of those who follow the false 'rock' Satan, for that is about Satan coveting God's Throne in the beginning, and working through his servants to usurp and spoil God's people.