The legalization of murder by abortion

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality Forum' started by Alan McDougall, Jul 25, 2016.

1. OzSpen

OzSpen Well-Known Member

Christian
    Australia
    kiwimac,

I think you should go to medical science to determine when human life begins. Here are some .....
    Medical Aspects

In 1970, in the midst of the United States’ abortion debate (it was legalised in 1973), the editors of the journal California Medicine (the official journal of the California Medical Association), noticed “the curious avoidance of the scientific fact, which everyone really knows, that human life begins at conception and is continuous whether intra- or extra-uterine until death” (in Davis 1985, p. 137).

The U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee, in 1981, held hearings on when life begins. The following are samples of evidence submitted by the medical profession (in Shettles with Rorvik 1983, pp. 113-114):

Dr Jerome LeJeune, professor of genetics at the University of Descartes in Paris:

When does life begin? . . . Life has a very long history, but each individual has a very neat beginning, the moment of its conception . . . To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion. The human nature of the human being, conception to old age, is not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.​

Dr Watson A. Bowes, Jr, of the University of Colorado Medical School: “The beginning of a single human life is from a biological point of view a simple and straightforward matter — the beginning is conception.”

Dr Alfred Bongiovanni of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, after noting that standard medical texts have long taught that human life begins at conception, added: "I am no more prepared to say that these early stages represent an incomplete human being than I would be to say that the child prior to the dramatic effects of puberty . . . is not a human being".

Dr Micheline Matthews-Roth, research associate of Harvard University Medical School: “It is scientifically correct to say that an individual human life begins at conception.”

The medical breakthrough came in the 1960s when Francis Crick and James Watson discovered the genetic code (DNA).

"The genotype — the inherited characteristics of a unique human being — is established in the conception process and will remain in force for the entire life of that individual. No other event in biological life is so decisive as this one . . . The genotype that is conferred at conception does not merely start life, it defines life" (in Shettles with Rorvik 1983, pp. 36-37).

Biologically, human life begins when the sperm merges with the ovum to form the zygote, containing the full set of 46 chromosomes necessary to create new human life. “The haploid sex cells (ova or spermatozoa) are parts of potential human life. The zygote is human life” (Shettles with Rorvik 1983, p. 40, emphasis in original). The First International Conference on Abortion in Washington D.C., 1967, declared: “We can find no point in time between the union of sperm and egg and the birth of an infant at which point we can say that this in not a human life” (in Stott 1984, p. 286).

The above information is taken from my article, Abortion and Life: A Christian Perspective.

Oz

Works consulted:

Davis, J. J. 1985, Evangelical Ethics: Issues Facing the Church Today, Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company, Phillipsburg, New Jersey.

Shettles, L. B. with D. Rorvik 1983 , Rites of Life: The Scientific Evidence for Life Before Birth, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, MI.

Stott, J. 1984, Issues Facing Christians Today, Marshalls, Basingstoke, Hants.

2. Sword

Sword Active Member

I dont really care what men made up in the tulmud.

Jer 1:5
    Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

You are a soul before your even born.

3. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    No, the verse quoted refers solely to Jeremiah. No one else.

4. OzSpen

OzSpen Well-Known Member

Christian
    Australia
    However, you were the one referring to the Talmud. Who composed the Talmud? Was it breathed out by God?

Oz

5. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    I am not arguing that the foetus is not alive nor human simply that until it is born it does not have the same rights as the person carrying it and that their needs are more important.

6. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    You do recall WHO we got the OT from?

7. Sword

Sword Active Member

Yes God

8. OzSpen

OzSpen Well-Known Member

Christian
    Australia
    kiwimac,

That is not what you have argued in a previous post. At #17 you argued:
    • 'A foetus is not a child';
    • Abortion is not murder as it is not 'the unlawful taking of a human life';
    • 'Abortion is not unlawful thus not murder';
    I've provided you with medical evidence that a foetus is a living human being (a child) in the womb.

In your country and mine, who determines whether killing the unborn child is murder? Human governments do. Therefore, the killing of an unborn child that is now not a murderous offense, is a human invention.

Your argument that 'abortion is not unlawful thus not murder' rests on an untenable position, as untenable as saying that homosexual marriage is marriage.

From a Christian perspective, is the killing of the unborn foetus murder? The following information is taken from my article, Abortion and Life: A Christian Perspective.

In 97 countries (39% of the world population) abortions are illegal ('Women's Issues', 2004). The American Journal of Public Health had an article in 2013 that stated, 'According to the most recent research ... roughly 39% of the world’s population lives in countries with highly restrictive laws governing abortion' (Finer & Fine 2013). So, whether abortion is murder or not is being determined by governments around the world.

Foetus is fully human: Biblical arguments
    1. Unborn babies are called “children,” the same word used of infants and young children (Luke 1:41, 44; 2:12, 16; Exodus 21:22), and sometimes even of adults (1 Kings 3:17).
    2. The unborn are created by God (Psalm 139:13) just as God created Adam and Eve in his image (Genesis 1:27).
    3. The life of the unborn is protected by the same punishment for injury or death (Ex. 21:22) as that of an adult (Gen. 9:6).
    4. Christ was human (the God-man) from the point he was conceived in Mary’s womb (Matt. 1:20-21; Luke 1:26-27).
    5. The image of God includes “male and female” (Gen. 1:27), but it is a scientific fact that maleness or femaleness (sex) is determined at the moment of conception.
    6. Unborn children possess personal characteristics such as sin (Ps. 51:5) and joy that are distinctive of human beings.
    7. Personal pronouns are used to describe unborn children (Jeremiah 1:5 LXX; Matt. 1:20-21) just as any other human being.
    8. The unborn are said to be known intimately and personally by God as he would know any other person (Ps. 139:15-16; Jer. 1:5).
    9. The unborn are even called by God before birth (Gen. 25:22-23; Judges. 13:2-7; Isaiah. 49:1, 5; Galatians 1:15).
    10. Guilt from an abortion is experienced, therefore, because a person has broken the law of God (sinned), “You shall not murder” (Ex. 20:13; Matt. 5:21; 19:18; Romans 13:9). Forgiveness can be received through confession to Jesus Christ (1 John 1:9).

Dr Norman Geisler therefore concludes:

See the article, 'A physician tells why abortion is murder'.

I, therefore, find your view that 'abortion is not murder' to be unjustified as it is not supported by evidence.

Oz

Works consulted

Finer, L & Fine, J B 2013. Abortion law around the world: Progress and pushback. American Journal of Public Health (online), vol 103(4), 585-589. Available at: Abortion Law Around the World: Progress and Pushback (Accessed 20 May 2017).

Geisler, N. L. 1989. Christian ethics: Options and Issues. Leicester, England: Apollos (an imprint of Inter-Varsity Press).

“Women’s Issues” 2004 (Online). Available at: http://womensissues.about.com/cs/abortionstats/a/aaabortionstats.htm (Accessed 21 September 2004). At 20 May 2017 this link was not available online.

Sword likes this.
  9. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    via the Jews.

10. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    I
    I disagree with Geisler and agree with the Jewish position on this matter.

11. Sword

Sword Active Member

Nope through His word. Via the Holy Ghost.

12. kiwimac

kiwimac Member

Utrecht
    New Zealand
    Did you miss the whole "Old Testament kept by the Jews, written by them?"

13. Sword

Sword Active Member

Nah did you miss the never Keep the law and Jesus had to come?

14. OzSpen

OzSpen Well-Known Member

Christian
    Australia
    Geisler agrees with the biblical view and so do I.