The Lord is with me like a Mighty Warrior

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everything is as it may first appear.

Jeremiah 20:11 "But the Lord is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten."

Jeremiah stands up exultant, knowing that YHWH is with him, a mighty terrible one!!

Is that what Jeremiah is saying?

6 And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell in thine house shall go into captivity: and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and shalt be buried there, thou, and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prophesied lies.
7 O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
8 For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the Lord was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.
10 For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him.
11 But the Lord is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten.

Pashur has been continuing his campaign against Jeremiah. His life has become miserable. People all around him mock him and abuse him, watching, waiting for him to fall. When he tried to just be quiet, that they might leave him alone, he can't God's Word burns in him, he has to speak!

And he knows . . . they will continue to attack and abuse him, and he knows, YHWH is a might terrible one, with him, they will not triumph over him, no way out even in his death at their hands!

12 But, O Lord of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I opened my cause.
13 Sing unto the Lord, praise ye the Lord: for he hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers.

14 Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed.
15 Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad.
16 And let that man be as the cities which the Lord overthrew, and repented not: and let him hear the cry in the morning, and the shouting at noontide;
17 Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb to be always great with me.
18 Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed with shame?

Praise God for His goodness, but curse the man who didn't kill me when I was a baby! If only my mother's womb were my grave!!

Why did I have to be born to see all this??

The Lord was with Jeremiah, but I think he found that a little bittersweet, because it meant he must finish his course, and he was not looking forward to it.

Much love!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am reading through Jeremiah at the moment, only on chapter 9.
it goes to show that he was so weary of his role, on a human level he struggled because of his calling. Yet look at the prospective of time we are remembering him, all that he spoke of happened. A lesson perhaps for any of us that grow weary in what we do and say that has been laid on our hearts, when we perhaps believe that it is all for nothing. Despite what he felt and faced he knew the Lord was with him.