The Lord The Avenger Of His People

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friday 12-29-23 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 15 5784, 9th. Winter Day

Psalms 35

Petition For God's Intervention

1 Plead my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.

2 Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.

3 Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.

4 Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.

5 Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the Lord chase them.

6 Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the Lord persecute them.

7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.

8 Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.

9 And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

10 All my bones shall say, Lord, who is like unto thee, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?

11 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.

12 They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.

13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

14 I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.

15 But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:

16 With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.

17 Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.

18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.

19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.

20 For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.

21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.

22 This thou hast seen, O Lord: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me.

23 Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.

24 Judge me, O Lord my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.

25 Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.

26 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me.

27 Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

28 And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Walter, I've often wondered if we Christians can pray these prayer against our enemies. THe NC say's to bless those who curse us and love our enemies. How does that relate to how David prayed? God never changes, he heard David's prayer and delivered him from his enemies.

It's just hard to reconcile with what we are taught in the NC.
Have a lovely day!!! :)

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Walter, I've often wondered if we Christians can pray these prayer against our enemies. THe NC say's to bless those who curse us and love our enemies. How does that relate to how David prayed? God never changes, he heard David's prayer and delivered him from his enemies.

Hi Nancy, Good morning, I see what you are saying, looking at this: Psalm 35 is a psalm of David that expresses his plea to God to fight for him against his enemies. It is also called an imprecatory psalm, which means it asks God to defeat and destroy the enemies of His people.

However, some think that this term is too extreme, since David does not actually curse his enemies. The psalm also reflects David's situation of betrayal and false testimonies, and how he finds a way out in God's word.

Also looking at the title I would say it is good that The LORD is our Avenger, What do you say? :)

Love, Walter

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy, Good morning, I see what you are saying, looking at this: Psalm 35 is a psalm of David that expresses his plea to God to fight for him against his enemies. It is also called an imprecatory psalm, which means it asks God to defeat and destroy the enemies of His people.

However, some think that this term is too extreme, since David does not actually curse his enemies. The psalm also reflects David's situation of betrayal and false testimonies, and how he finds a way out in God's word.

Also looking at the title I would say it is good that The LORD is our Avenger, What do you say? :)

Love, Walter
Yes, for sure, "Vengeance is the Lord's", amen. Yes, David did not even touch Saul when he could have slew him...as he would not touch the Lord's anointed.
So then, all in all it is The Lord who is avenging him :Bestest::Zek:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love, Walter
Thank you

Love, Walter

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don’t know if this helps. Love “Psalm 35 is a psalm of David that expresses his plea to God to fight for him against his enemies. It is also called an imprecatory psalm, which means it asks God to defeat and destroy the enemies of His people.” It makes me think of the cries in OT to the Lord to “teach my hands to war” then NT
2 Corinthians 10:4-6 KJV - (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
To me this helps reconcile David’s cries with the NT and the fruit of Christ. Not opposite of the NT but a cry for God’s intervention. “Teach my hands to war” can be described in different ways…to me it’s not as man defines “war” but “put on the whole armor of God”.

Do you hear what happened at the crucifixion in the following?
Psalm 35:11-17 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not(for He knew no sin). 12] They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul. [13] But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting(why can’t we cast this out, his response this goes not out except by much fasting and prayer); and my prayer returned into mine own bosom. [14] I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother. [15] But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not(yet Christ knew they devised all kinds of evil against Him); they did tear me, and ceased not: [16] With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth. [17] Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
—makes me think of Paul saying the Lord delivered him out of the mouth of a Lion.

Psalm 35:19-25
Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause(they did hate Jesus Christ without a cause). [20] For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land. [21] Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it. [22] This thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me. [23] Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord. [24] Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me. [25] Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.1 Corinthians 15:54-57 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. [55] O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? [56] The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 35:26-28 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me. [27] Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. [28] And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

I know that is probably too much. But I only wanted to share with you that I don’t think the NT or the fruits of Jesus Christ contradict David’s cries, but instead fulfill them. There is a lot in the passage …also the “let those that devise my hurt also fall into the ditch they dug for others” …not a bad thing? The Lord is our Avenger! I don’t think He avenges the same way I would. Maybe that is what David cried for. A better way to avenge since David’s type of revenge didn’t work out so well…I remember something about David wanting a woman and sending another guy to be killed so he could have her.

Last edited:
  • Love

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know if this helps. Love “Psalm 35 is a psalm of David that expresses his plea to God to fight for him against his enemies. It is also called an imprecatory psalm, which means it asks God to defeat and destroy the enemies of His people.” It makes me think of the cries in OT to the Lord to “teach my hands to war” then NT
2 Corinthians 10:4-6 KJV - (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
To me this helps reconcile David’s cries with the NT and the fruit of Christ. Not opposite of the NT but a cry for God’s intervention. “Teach my hands to war” can be described in different ways…to me it’s not as man defines “war” but “put on the whole armor of God”.

Do you hear what happened at the crucifixion in the following?
Psalm 35:11-17 False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not(for He knew no sin). 12] They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul. [13] But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting(why can’t we cast this out, his response this goes not out except by much fasting and prayer); and my prayer returned into mine own bosom. [14] I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother. [15] But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not(yet Christ knew they devised all kinds of evil against Him); they did tear me, and ceased not: [16] With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth. [17] Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions.
—makes me think of Paul saying the Lord delivered him out of the mouth of a Lion.

Psalm 35:19-25
Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause(they did hate Jesus Christ without a cause). [20] For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land. [21] Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it. [22] This thou hast seen, O LORD: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far from me. [23] Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord. [24] Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me. [25] Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed him up.1 Corinthians 15:54-57 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. [55] O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? [56] The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. [57] But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 35:26-28 Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at mine hurt: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against me. [27] Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. [28] And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.

I know that is probably too much. But I only wanted to share with you that I don’t think the NT or the fruits of Jesus Christ contradict David’s cries, but instead fulfill them. There is a lot in the passage …also the “let those that devise my hurt also fall into the ditch they dug for others” …not a bad thing? The Lord is our Avenger! I don’t think He avenges the same way I would. Maybe that is what David cried for. A better way to avenge since David’s type of revenge didn’t work out so well…I remember something about David wanting a woman and sending another guy to be killed so he could have her.
Great verses from Psalms.
It's kind of like dad going to the school where his kid is being badly bullied, and putting the fear of God into the bully, and hopefully the school admins. themselves, lol.
Thanks VIJ, ALL vengeance is The Lord's! Amen!

• Love
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great verses from Psalms.
It's kind of like dad going to the school where his kid is being badly bullied, and putting the fear of God into the bully, and hopefully the school admins. themselves, lol.
Thanks VIJ, ALL vengeance is The Lord's! Amen!

Reading Proverbs 16:12 this morning: It is an abomination to kings to commit wickedness: for the throne is established by righteousness.
‘The throne is established by righteousness’ even there makes me think of the fruits and the NT that you mentioned.
Philippians 1:11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

I will say what scares me though is I read it in His word…so many wonderful things I want so bad to be true. But I am so confused that I don’t see it happening today. Like the beginning of
Proverbs 16:1 The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.
…If you go in yahoo and read comments to all sorts of articles. It’s disturbing to hear the voice of hearts today. If I read the OT and see it’s by His fruit …everything about today seems to say that is not so. Point is …I’m confused…but I do want it to be so that vengeance belongs to the Lord. It sounds better that His Fruit will have the Victory. I just don’t see how as it seems like it’s too good to be true.