The Love of Many will Grow Cold

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many love the security of religion more than others.
I find I am only living when I am an active contributing part of a community.

Reactions: Nancy

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ wasn't talking about the human emotion people identify as love. The Greek shows He was referring to agape love, which is the kind that comes from keeping God's commandments. Notice He starts the statement with "because lawlessness will abound". When Christ said the love of many will grow cold, he was prophesying about the Laodicean era of His Church, which is characterized as a wholesale rebellion against God's government and the true gospel(compare 2 Thess. 2:1-12 against Rev. 3:8-11 ).

This world has never known what agape love is because it was built on rejecting God's government and laws, so He clearly wasn't addressing world conditions in a general sense. A person's love had to be hot in order for it to grow cold, and only true Christians can posses love on that level for it to grow cold.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I feel it:

My love for people getting cold. People can sometimes make it difficult to love, to be vulnerable, and to return blessing for insult.

Jesus died so that people in the world would not perish but have everlasting life. He loved even His enemies. When I think on this carefully, my love for others returns.

The Bible says do not return evil for evil but defeat evil by doing good.

On the internet, its a lot easier to be cold and impersonal towards others. I hope that we can remember to let our lights shine even online.

But I wonder if any of you struggle with love growing cold for people? How do you know, and then how do you deal with it?

I remember when I first became a Christian, I could barely contain the love I felt. I realized everyone around me was made in God's image.

I want to keep that spark alive. And love even when its tough.

Great thoughts Wynona,
And, YES...I too have felt it in myself, especially as of late. Taking it to God right then and there and praying to not become weary in well doing..."God, I do not want to be that person" I'll say. And like yourself sister, we think on His mercy and love toward us which in turn softens our hearts (IMHO)

Keeping that spark alive can be quite challenging for some...most especially if there is not true fellowship and love with other Christians so as to stir each other up, to encourage, to help, pray with regular, study the Word, just plain talk about God in general over a cup of coffee or tea! Yeah, fellowship is key in so many areas to me, anyhow :)