'The Messenger of The Covenant'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree that the Lord Jesus Christ is 'The Messenger of the Covenant', but why is He called that? And why only here in Malachi 3:1?
Because God does not need to repeat the titles of Christ which are many (although He does so when needed). You will only be able to connect this properly with the prophecy of Ezekiel (as already mentioned) since that is where the Millennial Temple is described in detail.

Here is what we read in Ezek 43:1-5; 44:2: Afterward he brought me to the gate, even the gate that looketh toward the east: And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face. And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east. So the spirit took me up, and brought me into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house... Then said the LORD unto me; This [temple] gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter in by it; because the LORD, the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut.

And here is what we read in Malachi 3:1: ...and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

I believe that the title "the Messenger of the Covenant" is appropriate here because even though it appears that the Old Covenant is being brought back, Christ is the Messenger of the New Covenant (Heb 1:1). And only the Lord will be able to reconcile the erection of a literal temple in Jerusalem at that time (with the related priests and sacrifices), and Calvary. Perhaps it is to show redeemed Israel how perfectly the temple worship should have been if Christ had been present within the temple and worshipped by Israel. We do not have the full picture.

Reactions: Waiting on him

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Psalm 15:1-5 KJV
[1] Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? [2] He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. [3] He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour. [4] In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the Lord. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. [5] He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.
@charity

Tecarta Bibleyou are the messenger of his covenant!
Thank you, @Waiting on him,

I am not acquainted with that translation, but will look it up. :)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God does not need to repeat the titles of Christ which are many (although He does so when needed). You will only be able to connect this properly with the prophecy of Ezekiel (as already mentioned) since that is where the Millennial Temple is described in detail.

Here is what we read in Ezek 43:1-5; 44:2: Afterward he brought me to the gate, even the gate that looketh toward the east: And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face. And the glory of the LORD came into the house by the way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east. So the spirit took me up, and brought me into the inner court; and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house... Then said the LORD unto me; This [temple] gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter in by it; because the LORD, the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut.

And here is what we read in Malachi 3:1: ...and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

I believe that the title "the Messenger of the Covenant" is appropriate here because even though it appears that the Old Covenant is being brought back, Christ is the Messenger of the New Covenant (Heb 1:1). And only the Lord will be able to reconcile the erection of a literal temple in Jerusalem at that time (with the related priests and sacrifices), and Calvary. Perhaps it is to show redeemed Israel how perfectly the temple worship should have been if Christ had been present within the temple and worshipped by Israel. We do not have the full picture.
Who’s house are ye

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These words, 'The Messenger of The Covenant' do not appear to have been repeated anywhere else in Scripture.

Consider reading Acts 6 and 7. Acts 6:13-15 And set up false witnesses, which said, This man ceaseth not to speak blasphemous words against this holy place, and the law: [14] For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us. [15] And all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel. (Messenger)

Stephen was one messenger of The covenant. Consider the message.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hello @Enoch111,

I have been rather foolish, I'm afraid, and broken all my own rules. For I did not check on the wording in Malachi 3:1, and, 'The Messenger of The Covenant', had I done so I would have seen that:-

* Messenger (malak) - H4397
[From an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy;
a messenger; specifically of God, that is, an angel
(also a prophet, priest or teacher)
Translated: - ambassador, angel, king, messenger.]

* Had I also checked further back in Malachi I would have seen the word, 'messenger' used in chapter two, when the Lord rebukes the Priests,

'For the priest's lips should keep knowledge,
and they should seek the law at his mouth:
for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.'

(Malachi 2:7)

* Thank you for your patience, Enoch111, thank you also for referring me to Ezekiel, and for sharing with me the benefit of your own study. This is a journey I have to follow through.

Thank you for walking alongside me in the way.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Nancy

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Enoch111,

I have been rather foolish, I'm afraid, and broken all my own rules. For I did not check on the wording in Malachi 3:1, and, 'The Messenger of The Covenant', had I done so I would have seen that:-

* Messenger (malak) - H4397
[From an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy;
a messenger; specifically of God, that is, an angel
(also a prophet, priest or teacher)
Translated: - ambassador, angel, king, messenger.]

* Had I also checked further back in Malachi I would have seen the word, 'messenger' used in chapter two, when the Lord rebukes the Priests,

'For the priest's lips should keep knowledge,
and they should seek the law at his mouth:
for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.'

(Malachi 2:7)

* Thank you for your patience, Enoch111, thank you also for referring me to Ezekiel, and for sharing with me the benefit of your own study. This is a journey I have to follow through.

Thank you for walking alongside me in the way.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
The Lord has made you a king and a priest.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Consider reading Acts 6 and 7. Acts 6:13-15 And set up false witnesses, which said, This man ceaseth not to speak blasphemous words against this holy place, and the law: [14] For we have heard him say, that this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this place, and shall change the customs which Moses delivered us. [15] And all that sat in the council, looking stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had been the face of an angel. (Messenger)

Stephen was one messenger of The covenant. Consider the message.
Please read psalm:19 as well

Hello @VictoryinJesus and @Waiting on him,

"Thank you"- to you both. I will do as you suggest, by reading Acts 6 and 7, and Acts 6:13-15, and also Psalm 19 too.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @VictoryinJesus and @Waiting on him,

"Thank you"- to you both. I will do as you suggest, by reading Acts 6 and 7, and Acts 6:13-15, and also Psalm 19 too.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Please pay close attention to who there actually kept the Law. Stephen or them that feared something was about to happen to their high seats? Acts 7:26 And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another?

Who establishes His law? Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Where is His tabernacle?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please pay close attention to who there actually kept the Law. Stephen or them that feared something was about to happen to their high seats?
Acts 7:26 And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another?

Who establishes His law? Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Where is His tabernacle?

'Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners,
but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.'
(Ephesians 2:19-22)

Praise God!

Thank you,
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 52:7 KJV
[7] How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

Tecarta Bible
Romans 10:15 KJV
[15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Tecarta BibleI cast my crowns at his feet.

Who are his feet??

Reactions: charity and farouk

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st
@Nancy
@Enoch111
@farouk

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated. :)

Personally, I can't get beyond the wording, 'The Messenger of The Covenant', for I believe that this title is associated with the original covenant made with Israel, as it will be with the New Covenant. This is why I have been seeking references within the Old Testament in order to understand this title, as those who heard the prophecy of Malachi would have understood it. I realise that the Lord Jesus Christ is, 'the mediator of the New Covenant' (Hebrews 12:24): 'For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.' (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

Praise God!

The Old Covenant was, 'ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator' (Galatians 3:19)

'The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet
from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me;
unto him ye shall hearken;
According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God
in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying,

"Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God,
neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not."
And the LORD said unto me,
"They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren,
like unto thee,
and will put My words in His mouth;
and He shall speak unto them all that I shall command Him.
And it shall come to pass,
that whosoever will not hearken
unto My words
which He shall speak in My Name,
I will require it of him".'
(Deuteronomy 18:15-19)

'Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?
the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself:
but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works.'

(John 14:10)

* Compare with references in #3 & #5.

* These are my thoughts, I will leave them with you. I hope you can follow the line of my thinking. [ I was a little concerned this morning when I read your posts, for I found that I didn't seem to be able to comprehend them. Not because you had not expressed yourselves clearly, but I simply could not take it in. This makes me think that I have perhaps spent too much time online, and need to take a break. So I may be offline for a while - if I can keep myself away that is] :).

Thank you again
In Christ Jesus
Chris
@firstthings1st
@Nancy
@Enoch111
@farouk

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated. :)

Personally, I can't get beyond the wording, 'The Messenger of The Covenant', for I believe that this title is associated with the original covenant made with Israel, as it will be with the New Covenant. This is why I have been seeking references within the Old Testament in order to understand this title, as those who heard the prophecy of Malachi would have understood it. I realise that the Lord Jesus Christ is, 'the mediator of the New Covenant' (Hebrews 12:24): 'For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.' (1 Timothy 2:5-6)

Praise God!

The Old Covenant was, 'ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator' (Galatians 3:19)

'The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet
from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me;
unto him ye shall hearken;
According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God
in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying,

"Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God,
neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not."
And the LORD said unto me,
"They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren,
like unto thee,
and will put My words in His mouth;
and He shall speak unto them all that I shall command Him.
And it shall come to pass,
that whosoever will not hearken
unto My words
which He shall speak in My Name,
I will require it of him".'
(Deuteronomy 18:15-19)

'Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?
the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself:
but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works.'

(John 14:10)

* Compare with references in #3 & #5.

* These are my thoughts, I will leave them with you. I hope you can follow the line of my thinking. [ I was a little concerned this morning when I read your posts, for I found that I didn't seem to be able to comprehend them. Not because you had not expressed yourselves clearly, but I simply could not take it in. This makes me think that I have perhaps spent too much time online, and need to take a break. So I may be offline for a while - if I can keep myself away that is] :).

Thank you again
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Chris and how are you? After reading your thoughts, I do understand, some plant, and some water, but The Lord gives increase. Have a good rest. :)

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Isaiah 52:7 KJV
[7] How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

Tecarta Bible
Romans 10:15 KJV
[15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Tecarta BibleI cast my crowns at his feet.
Great verses there... :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stephen was one messenger of The covenant.
That is not true, since there is only ONE Messenger of the Covenant -- the one who ratified the New Covenant with His own blood -- Christ. He was also the ultimate Prophet spoken of by Moses (Heb 1:1).

Stephen was a faithful witness and martyr, but we should never substitute men or angels for Christ. While the Hebrew and Greek words for angels mean messengers, context determines how they should be translated. And in the context of Malachi 3, we have two messengers -- John the Baptist and Christ, but the Holy Spirit clearly distinguishes between the two.

Behold, I will send my messenger [John the Baptist], and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord [Jesus Christ], whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the Messenger of the Covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, He shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Waiting on him
@VictoryinJesus

Hello there,

I have read Psalm 19 and Acts 6-7, along with the prophecy of Malachi this morning, and I do love both of the readings you gave. I found that they both had reason for connecting them to Malachi. :) Forgive me, if my reasoning does not (perhaps) accord with your own, but I can only speak as I find, through the limited vision of my own perspective.

* In Malachi it is the Priests that are admonished for not observing their priestly duties, and of not giving honour and glory to God and of being contemptuous of the sacred service of the temple: and instead of accepting admonition, and repenting, they replied impudently, showing hardness of heart and intractability. Questioning and denying the charges brought against them. They had corrupted, 'the covenant of peace.' (Numbers 25:12-13 ) that God had made with Levi, and caused many to stumble at the law, especially in regard to marriage, and the 'putting away' of a wife (Malachi 2:14-16) , which was so important regarding the coming 'Seed'.

* The keeping of the law was incumbent upon Israel, as we know, as part of the covenant made between themselves and God at Sinai, and at His first advent, our Lord would, in the sermon on the mount 'Teach' the need for not only observance of the law in manner of life, but of an observance which was of the heart also. He also dealt with the law regarding marriage, and the 'putting away' of a wife. (Matthew 5:31-32/Matthew 19:3-9). ( see also Ezekiel 34:25; Ezekiel 37:26 - re. 'the covenant of peace')

* The thought also came to mind, that when as a twelve year old the Lord went to the temple in Jerusalem with His Mother, and Father (under law), He astonished the Priests by His knowledge. How humbling that must have been for them, to have a little child teach them. Even then He was ,'about His Father's business'. Praise God!

* Psalm 19 rejoices in and honours the law of God, His judgements and His righteousness, and the writer humbly acknowledges that in the keeping of them there is great reward: while seeking cleansing from secret faults, laying himself open to God's scrutiny and seeking His keeping power; his desire being to be acceptable to God in all aspects of his life. What a contrast this is to the state of the Priests in the time of Malachi!

* In Acts 6 & 7, I was delighted to find reference to Deuteronomy 18:15 & Deuteronomy 18:18 in Acts 7:37:-

'This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel,
"A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you
of your brethren, like unto me; Him shall ye hear.'

(Acts 7:37-39)

'While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them:
and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said,
"This is my beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him."

(Matthew 17:5)

* @firstthings1st. referred to the transfiguration earlier, which Matthew 17:5 is taken from. ('thank you, f.t.1st.!)

* There was so much in Acts 6 & 7 which I would like to comment on, which stirred my mind, but it was this which had particular relevance to the subject of this thread.

* Thank you to [B]@VictoryinJesus[/B], and @Waiting on him for this part of my journey.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: