The Philosophy of Spiritual Light

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All color consists of three elements... Red, Green, Blue. 24 bit color will mix 256 possibilities of the three colors and come up with a color...

24^3 (red, blue, green) = 16777216 possibilities

rgb(0,0,0) = pure black
rgb(255,255,255) = pure white
rgb(255,0,0) = pure red
rgb(0,255,0) = pure green
rgb(0,0,255) = pure blue
rgb(255,255,0) = yellow (red+green w/ no blue)
rgb(0,255,255) = cyan (blue+green w / no red)
rgb(255,0,255) = magenta (red+green w / no blue) - Pink

And you could go on and on....

I believe that there is also similarities to light of the spiritual variety

24^3 (faith, hope, charity) = 16777216 possibilities

Pure Faith, Hope, and Charity is also a pure spiritual light. In reading the Bible, God had more trouble out of the spiritual varieties than any other troubles. The children of Israel perished in the wilderness because of their unbelief. How many times did the Lord shake his head and say... Oh ye of little faith!

cfh(0,0,0) = No light - A hardened heart void of charity, faith, and hope.
cfh(0, ?, ?) = No charity
cfh(?, 0, ?) = No faith
cfh(?, ?, 0) = No hope
cfh(255,255,255) - Chisma - The Heavenly Anointing - Full of faith, hope, and charity
cfh(255, ?, ?) = Full of love and charity
cfh(?, 0, ?) = Full of faith
cfh(?, ?, 0) = Full of hope

I would encourage those traveling their lives journey not to ignore the spiritual light... But to becomes students of it.

"Sweet hope, as Pindar charmingly says, is the kind nurse of his age: Hope, he says, cherishes the soul of him who lives in justice and holiness and is the nurse of his age and the companion of his journey; --hope which is mightiest to sway the restless soul of man." - Plato's Republic

All of these possibilities... Mixed in with the flesh (ego, fleshly wants, etc) makes for a world full of human character. Is virtue (the spiritual E/c2) knowledge? Can it be taught?

Plato's Meno is a dialogue in which Socrates and Meno discuss human virtue: whether or not it can be taught, whether it is shared by all human beings, and whether it is one quality or many.

After discussion with Anytus, Socrates and Meno return to the subject of whether Virtue can be taught. "To sum up our enquiry," Socrates concludes, "the result seems to be that virtue is neither natural nor acquired, but an instinct given by God to the virtuous."

Meno's theme is also being dealt in the dialogue of Protagoras, where, Plato finally puts Socrates to conclude with the opposite conclusion 'That virtue can be taught.' It is important to conclude that virtue is in different departments than knowledge. One may have an understanding as vast as the great outdoors;And not a thing in the heart!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are also degrees of faith

No faith
Faith as a mustard seed
Little faith
Faith
Much Faith
Great Faith
All Faith

In which, God has always had more trouble out of his own children than the outsiders. reading the bible you would think that the Apostles middle name was "oh ye of little faith." And on one occasion he said, "How is it you have no faith?"

In the bible story below we find the Centurion Captain saying, "Speak the word only and my servant will be healed." And then we have the little woman who grabs a hold of his garment and receives a healing. He told one woman on occasion, "Oh woman great is your faith!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h4wqo33VNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4-GTuzOo0I

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness! - Matthew 6

The interactions of light and darkness also occur in the imagination... What the bible calls "The eye." If the imagination is single... Fixed on a set of righteous goals, the whole body is full of light (E/c2). If the imagination is uncontrolled the whole body is filled with darkness (z/d).

Successful people have first imagined their endeavors successful. Criminals have first imagined their crimes before carrying out what the evil eye has imagined to do. Biblically then...

The adulterer has first imagined his adultery before carrying it out.
The murderer has first hated in his heart before killing someone.
The thief has first imagined before stealing.

Christ had problems with the his generation of religious people because they appeared righteous... But within their imagination had no innocence of evil. Not only were they not they innocent of evil, but they were full of it...

25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. - Matthew 23

In the video below a young associate minister deals with the all important spiritual motives...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqafYWE4A0

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting your imagination to use. If we are operating under 24 bit faith, hope, and charity... And yours happens to be...

fhc(255,255,255)

I would imagine a man giving some impossible dream his best shot. In which it is important to note the following extremes...

1. Fantasy - Imagination without works
2. Dreams - Imagination with works

trends_zpsunnc3qqz.gif

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"It is my opinion that learning brings danger to youth." - Plato
Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. - 1Cor.8:1

"And this is he (the sun) whom I call the child of the good, whom the good begat in his own likeness, to be in the visible world, in relation to sight and the things of sight, what the good is in the intellectual world in relation to mind and the things of mind. " - Plato's Republic

"Then if virtue is knowledge, virtue will be taught? The next question is, whether virtue is knowledge or of another species? " - Socrates (Plato's Meno)

There are, in reference to Plato's Republic and Meno work... Three children of the Good...

The Sun - Representing mass - Encapsulated as m = E/c2
Virtue - That which produces spiritual E/c2
Knowledge - That which produces knowledge E/c2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is too bad for Christianity that virtue cannot be taught. My old Baptist preacher also taught Bible College and went on to say... That the quickest place to backslide was seminary. Which was an incredible thing for a Baptist preacher to say!

There is also a Baptist church in our area that at one time ran very good attendance, the best in the area. They got a preacher with oodles of education, but no heart for the people. As a result that once great church is now struggling.

Virtue, or Spirit, is not knowledge therefore it cannot be taught...

Charity - Character is something that builds with Character
Faith - Is something that builds as one goes out and attempts things
Hope- Is built by being un-inhibited by darkness, gloom, and despair

And if I had a word for Christians of this generation...

1. Ego is not unction (or true Holy Spirit)
2. Greed is not charity (both one and two... A fleshly light)

Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven (in this case... Ego) leaveneth the whole lump? - 1 Corinthians 5:6

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are, in reference to Plato's Republic and Meno work... Three children of the Good...

The Sun - Representing mass - Encapsulated as m = E/c2

In which the average person does not go to church to become more intelligent. If intelligence were stressed in church it would become a spiritually cold graveyard. Church should be all about arriving at a point of what I call spiritual E/c2... If you want to become more intelligent there are plenty of universities to study at.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"One can stand still in a moving stream, but not in the world of men." –Japenese Proverb

About the time the Greeks were delving into this new field of philosophy, the Chinese were interpreting the IChing; the first written work (that I know of) that was written by the hands of men. This work hinted that the real nature of man is originally good, but it becomes clouded by contact with earthly things and therefore needs purification before it can shine forth in its native clarity. Having noticed that when the sun rose and peaked at the meridian, they developed the philosophy of the Yin and the Yang. In their view the heavenly forces pulled the sun up from its origin, and the earthly forces pulled the sun back down. It was in their belief that the same forces had identical impact on the spirits and lives of men. The IChing is a book that blends the influences of the light above us with the earth below us. The IChing format blends hexagons into 64 human situations. I have organized the situations into four areas…

AWAKENING:
The Newcomer/Getting Ahead
Gentle Penetration
Growth pains / Creativity
Acquiring Experience
Biding Ones Time
Service / Small gains
Wise counsel / Consideration
Acquiring Followers
Arresting of Decay
Influencing to Action!
Eliminating Obstacles
Help from above
Stepping carefully

PROSPERITY:
Growth / Great Gains
Overcoming Conflict
Fascination
Removing corruption
Joy / Energy
Advancement!
Prosperity!
Recovery / Progress
Rejuvenation
Leadership / In control
Unity
Tasks to complete:

COMFORT ZONES:
Peace / Modesty
Wealth / Public Image
Fellowship / Cosmic mean
Contentment
Goodness
Infiltration by inferior men
Regulations
Family life / Resting
Potentials fulfilled
Sincerity
Shedding excesses
Tasks completed

DISASTER AREA:
Endurance
Restraint..
Stagnation
Punishment
Adversity / Unappreciation
Culture shock
Danger / Obstruction
Revolutions
Alienation / Withdrawal
Strife / The Army

IChing2.gif

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He who knows the methods of change and transformation, may be said to know what is done by spiritual power." - Confucius

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. - 1 Corinthians 2:13

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. - 1 Corinthians 2:14

The comparison of spiritual and carnal... There are, in reference to Plato's Republic and Meno work... Three children of the Good...

The Sun - Representing mass - m = E/c2 in a plasma state

In which the comparison of spiritual and carnal is in relationship to the spiritual man. In analyzing the following formula...

m (mass - as in an encapsulated state) = E/c2 (energy - as in an lively plasma state)

I have observed the youth of creation how they are playful and full of vigor. Overtime the heart can loose its lively plasma state and become something spiritually dead. Even in the animal kingdom youth tends to be playful and alive. With age can come a loss of vigor and a spiritual deadness, even an evil.

m representing the hardened carnal heart. In which I present the priest in the Princess Bride movie who had the priestly robes, the mental state, but apparently not much heart...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2m6sHROA3U
c2 representing the lively spiritual heart. In which I present the man who led me to Christ, who was a true spiritual lively stone...

Dallas_zps81e23487.jpg

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The difference between the spiritual and the carnal is also in a story given by George Clark Rankin, in which his first taste of religion was of the carnal, z/d, variety. He then goes on to receive religion in the spiritual, E/c2 variety.

The carnal, z/d, religion devoid of any spiritual light and vitality...

"Grandfather was kind to me and considerate of me, yet he was strict with me. I worked along with him in the field when the weather was agreeable and when it was inclement I helped him in his hatter's shop, for the Civil War was in progress and he had returned at odd times to hatmaking. It was my business in the shop to stretch foxskins and coonskins across a wood-horse and with a knife, made for that purpose, pluck the hair from the fur. I despise the odor of foxskins and coonskins to this good day. He had me to walk two miles every Sunday to Dandridge to Church service and Sunday-school, rain or shine, wet or dry, cold or hot; yet he had fat horses standing in his stable. But he was such a blue-stocking Presbyterian that he never allowed a bridle to go on a horse's head on Sunday. The beasts had to have a day of rest. Old Doctor Minnis was the pastor, and he was the dryest and most interminable preacher I ever heard in my life. He would stand motionless and read his sermons from manuscript for one hour and a half at a time and sometimes longer. Grandfather would sit and never take his eyes off of him, except to glance at me to keep me quiet. It was torture to me." - George Clark Rankin

The spiritual E/c2 religion full of spiritual light and vitality...

After the team had been fed and we had been to supper we put the mules to the wagon, filled it with chairs and we were off to the meeting. When we reached the locality it was about dark and the people were assembling. Their horses and wagons filled up the cleared spaces and the singing was already in progress. My uncle and his family went well up toward the front, but I dropped into a seat well to the rear. It was an old-fashioned Church, ancient in appearance, oblong in shape and unpretentious. It was situated in a grove about one hundred yards from the road. It was lighted with old tallow-dip candles furnished by the neighbors. It was not a prepossessing-looking place, but it was soon crowded and evidently there was a great deal of interest. A cadaverous-looking man stood up in front with a tuning fork and raised and led the songs. There were a few prayers and the minister came in with his saddlebags and entered the pulpit. He was the Rev. W. H. Heath, the circuit rider. His prayer impressed me with his earnestness and there were many amens to it in the audience. I do not remember his text, but it was a typical revival sermon, full of unction and power.

At its close he invited penitents to the altar and a great many young people flocked to it and bowed for prayer. Many of them became very much affected and they cried out distressingly for mercy. It had a strange effect on me. It made me nervous and I wanted to retire. Directly my uncle came back to me, put his arm around my shoulder and asked me if I did not want to be religious. I told him that I had always had that desire, that mother had brought me up that way, and really I did not know anything else. Then he wanted to know if I had ever professed religion. I hardly understood what he meant and did not answer him. He changed his question and asked me if I had ever been to the altar for prayer, and I answered him in the negative. Then he earnestly besought me to let him take me up to the altar and join the others in being prayed for. It really embarrassed me and I hardly knew what to say to him. He spoke to me of my mother and said that when she was a little girl she went to the altar and that Christ accepted her and she had been a good Christian all these years. That touched me in a tender spot, for mother always did do what was right; and then I was far away from her and wanted to see her. Oh, if she were there to tell me what to do!

By and by I yielded to his entreaty and he led forward to the altar. The minister took me by the hand and spoke tenderly to me as I knelt at the altar. I had gone more out of sympathy than conviction, and I did not know what to do after I bowed there. The others were praying aloud and now and then one would rise shoutingly happy and make the old building ring with his glad praise. It was a novel experience to me. I did not know what to pray for, neither did I know what to expect if I did pray. I spent the most of the hour wondering why I was there and what it all meant. No one explained anything to me. Once in awhile some good old brother or sister would pass my way, strike me on the back and tell me to look up and believe and the blessing would come. But that was not encouraging to me. In fact, it sounded like nonsense and the noise was distracting me. Even in my crude way of thinking I had an idea that religion was a sensible thing and that people ought to become religious intelligently and without all that hurrah. I presume that my ideas were the result of the Presbyterian training given to me by old grandfather. By and by my knees grew tired and the skin was nearly rubbed off my elbows. I thought the service never would close, and when it did conclude with the benediction I heaved a sigh of relief. That was my first experience at the mourner's bench.

As we drove home I did not have much to say, but I listened attentively to the conversation between my uncle and his wife. They were greatly impressed with the meeting, and they spoke first of this one and that one who had "come through" and what a change it would make in the community, as many of them were bad boys. As we were putting up the team my uncle spoke very encouragingly to me; he was delighted with the step I had taken and he pleaded with me not to turn back, but to press on until I found the pearl of great price. He knew my mother would be very happy over the start I had made. Before going to sleep I fell into a train of thought, though I was tired and exhausted. I wondered why I had gone to that altar and what I had gained by it. I felt no special conviction and had received no special impression, but then if my mother had started that way there must be something in it, for she always did what was right. I silently lifted my heart to God in prayer for conviction and guidance. I knew how to pray, for I had come up through prayer, but not the mourner's bench sort. So I determined to continue to attend the meeting and keep on going to the altar until I got religion.

Early the next morning I was up and in a serious frame of mind. I went with the other hands to the cottonfield and at noon I slipped off in the barn and prayed. But the more I thought of the way those young people were moved in the meeting and with what glad hearts they had shouted their praises to God the more it puzzled and confused me. I could not feel the conviction that they had and my heart did not feel melted and tender. I was callous and unmoved in feeling and my distress on account of sin was nothing like theirs. I did not understand my own state of mind and heart. It troubled me, for by this time I really wanted to have an experience like theirs.

When evening came I was ready for Church service and was glad to go. It required no urging. Another large crowd was present and the preacher was as earnest as ever. I did not give much heed to the sermon. In fact, I do not recall a word of it. I was anxious for him to conclude and give me a chance to go to the altar. I had gotten it into my head that there was some real virtue in the mourner's bench; and when the time came I was one of the first to prostrate myself before the altar in prayer. Many others did likewise. Two or three good people at intervals knelt by me and spoke encouragingly to me, but they did not help me. Their talks were mere exhortations to earnestness and faith, but there was no explanation of faith, neither was there any light thrown upon my mind and heart. I wrought myself up into tears and cries for help, but the whole situation was dark and I hardly knew why I cried, or what was the trouble with me. Now and then others would arise from the altar in an ecstasy of joy, but there was no joy for me. When the service closed I was discouraged and felt that maybe I was too hardhearted and the good Spirit could do nothing for me.

After we went home I tossed on the bed before going to sleep and wondered why God did not do for me what he had done for mother and what he was doing in that meeting for those young people at the altar. I could not understand it. But I resolved to keep on trying, and so dropped off to sleep. The next day I had about the same experience and at night saw no change in my condition. And so for several nights I repeated the same distressing experience. The meeting took on such interest that a day service was adopted along with the night exercises, and we attended that also. And one morning while I bowed at the altar in a very disturbed state of mind Brother Tyson, a good local preacher and the father of Rev. J. F. Tyson, now of the Central Conference, sat down by me and, putting his hand on my shoulder, said to me: "Now I want you to sit up awhile and let's talk this matter over quietly. I am sure that you are in earnest, for you have been coming to this altar night after night for several days. I want to ask you a few simple questions." And the following questions were asked and answered:

"My son, do you not love God?"

"I cannot remember when I did not love him."

"Do you believe on his Son, Jesus Christ?"

"I have always believed on Christ. My mother taught me that from my earliest recollection."

"Do you accept him as your Savior?"

"I certainly do, and have always done so."

"Can you think of any sin that is between you and the Savior?"

"No, sir; for I have never committed any bad sins."

"Do you love everybody?"

"Well, I love nearly everybody, but I have no ill-will toward any one. An old man did me a wrong not long ago and I acted ugly toward him, but I do not care to injure him."

"Can you forgive him?"

"Yes, if he wanted me to."

"But, down in your heart, can you wish him well?"

"Yes, sir; I can do that."

"Well, now let me say to you that if you love God, if you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior from sin and if you love your fellowmen and intend by God's help to lead a religious life, that's all there is to religion. In fact, that is all I know about it."

Then he repeated several passages of Scriptures to me proving his assertions. I thought a moment and said to him: "But I do not feel like these young people who have been getting religion night after night. I cannot get happy like them. I do not feel like shouting."

The good man looked at me and smiled and said: "Ah, that's your trouble. You have been trying to feel like them. Now you are not them; you are yourself. You have your own quiet disposition and you are not turned like them. They are excitable and blustery like they are. They give way to their feelings. That's all right, but feeling is not religion. Religion is faith and life. If you have violent feeling with it, all good and well, but if you have faith and not much feeling, why the feeling will take care of itself. To love God and accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, turning away from all sin, and living a godly life, is the substance of true religion."

That was new to me, yet it had been my state of mind from childhood. For I remembered that away back in my early life, when the old preacher held services in my grandmother's house one day and opened the door of the Church, I went forward and gave him my hand. He was to receive me into full membership at the end of six months' probation, but he let it pass out of his mind and failed to attend to it.

As I sat there that morning listening to the earnest exhortation of the good man my tears ceased, my distress left me, light broke in upon my mind, my heart grew joyous, and before I knew just what I was doing I was going all around shaking hands with everybody, and my confusion and darkness disappeared and a great burden rolled off my spirit. I felt exactly like I did when I was a little boy around my mother's knee when she told of Jesus and God and Heaven. It made my heart thrill then, and the same old experience returned to me in that old country Church that beautiful September morning down in old North Georgia.

I at once gave my name to the preacher for membership in the Church, and the following Sunday morning, along with many others, he received me into full membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It was one of the most delightful days in my recollection. It was the third Sunday in September, 1866, and those Church vows became a living principle in my heart and life. During these forty-five long years, with their alternations of sunshine and shadow, daylight and darkness, success and failure, rejoicing and weeping, fears within and fightings without, I have never ceased to thank God for that autumnal day in the long ago when my name was registered in the Lamb's Book of Life.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is emotion spiritual?
Or are emotions the result of the spiritual?

I think of emotion as the chemical reactions within our mass. I thing of spiritual light as independent, yet related to mass. Therefore....

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

"The blues has had a baby and it's name is Rock and Roll" - Muddy Waters

Regrettably spiritual light can be sullied as it passes the human interior thought process. My favorite readings are the Bible, Socrates, Lao-Tzu, Confucius, and any piece of literature that does not attempt to sully up the true spiritual light and energies. And I hope I have not crossed into mysticism in doing so. I am also a big Star Wars fan and worry that too can be sullied.

Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. - Luke 11:35

Senses_zpstkpr43hj.png

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three children of what Plato called "The Good" or God the Father...

The Sun - Representing mass - m = E/c2 in a plasma state

There is....

A natural gravity that draws toward mass
A mental gravity that draws toward knowledge
A spiritual gravity that draws towards God.

The Spiritual E/c2 pulls us upward and towards God
The Spiritual z/d (absolute zero cold and darkness) that pulls us downward and away from God

This is why we Christians ought to seek the Spiritual Anointing, or in the Greek, the Chrisma. With the Holy Chrisma comes the spiritual stuff that makes Christianity appealing and draws humanity away from darkness and towards God.

"When a good man dies he goes to heaven, drawn thither by the natural forces of spiritual gravity, by the approval of God and angels." - Rev Sam Jones

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Plato's doctrine of the divided line in which the E/c2 is the highest form.

3617163_orig.png

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Plato's Republic the doctrine of the divided line symbolizes, as there is much more space between the divided line, the journey from the dark world of z/d to the bright and warm world of E/c2. In the upper world, the land of the E/c2 also exists virtue, in which we have justice, love, and truth labeled as universal ideas.

the_cave.gif

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The world above the top divided line is known in Plato's Republic as the upper world. And in the upper world is a commodity known as justice...

Plato-Divided-Line.gif

And as God the Father exists in the upper world so he takes delight in correct judgement.

23 Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord. - Jeremiah 9

27 As a cage is full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit: therefore they are become great, and waxen rich.
28 They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge. Shall I not visit for these things? saith the Lord: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this? - Jeremiah 5

29 The people of the land have used oppression, and exercised robbery, and have vexed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully.
30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none. - Ezekiel 22

I say! Justice is above the top of the divided line! Therefore most judges are people who have started out as lawyers and have worked their way up. Having experience in the matters of the law they become worthy of the virtue of judgement after they have lived this life. And another the virtue of the aged... Being free from the ego...

Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. - 1 Timothy 3:6

I must say also that when one understands the Bible, he sees a path to utopia, or the perfect society...

1. Dietary - We begin to understand that animals labeled unclean (e.g.: pork) are also high in sodium and saturated fat and are not good for the body. We then see that what is declared good for you in the scripture is for the good of our bodies and for a long life.
2. Marriage - We also see the benefits of a righteous family and that keeping a marriage together is good, not only for the family, but for the nation and the world as well... "Unless the foundations of a family be properly prepared and laid, those who are sprung from it must be necessarily unfortunate." - Plato.
3. Violence - We see that when judgement is executed against the violent it is good for the whole society as other fear

I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem. - Job 29:14
Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the Lord understand all things. - Proverbs 28:5
Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. - Isaiah 1:16-18
Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment. - Job 32:9

True judgement is not understood until we have progressed into the upper world and understand the goodness of it. Judgement is in the upper world and it is a necessary thing to execute judgement for the deeds of spiritual darkness done in a land. I must say that true judgement is better done with a good heart. Which good heart for many is not rediscovered until they are up in years.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Onto Plato's Republic. Socrates was Plato's mentor and Plato wrote much on Socrates behalf. The principle characters in the Republic are...

Polemarchus - Young nobleman - Supports philosophical view of justice as an eye for an eye.
Cephalus - Polemarchus's aging father. The word kephalos is Greek for "head" indicating this man also a man of wealth and leadership.
Thrasymacus - Supports the shepherd and the sheep view in which the shepherd represents the ruling class. The strong rule, the weak follow.
Glaucon - Wonders if virtue and justice are not practiced willingly. The Ring of Gyges, which supports Glaucon's view, is a mythical magical artifact mentioned by the philosopher Plato in Book 2 of his Republic. It granted its owner the power to become invisible at will. Through the story of the ring, Glaucon considers whether an intelligent person would be moral if he did not have to fear being caught and punished for doing injustices.
Adeimantus - is noted for his concern for education, which is apparent from the moment he becomes involved in the discussion. He is also concerned with the happiness of the auxiliaries in the ideal city.He questions whether or not they would be living a good life with little or no personal property. Consequently, Adeimantus is often associated with greed or love for money in interpretations of the dialogue.
Socrates- Often in Book I he is expressing ideas that seem to result from what the other speaker says. Socrates does not necessarily agree with these ideas.

Plato's Republic begins at a festival in Piraeus, Greece, in which prayers and sacrifices were offered to the goddess of the city. There would be entertainment along with these festivities and I would imagine plays and drama as well...

"Has no one told you of the torch-race on horseback in honour of the goddess which will take place in the evening?" - Adeimantus

"With horses! I replied: That is a novelty. Will horsemen carry torches and pass them one to another during the race?" - Soocrates

"Yes, and not only so, but a festival will he celebrated at night, which you certainly ought to see. Let us rise soon after supper and see this festival; there will be a gathering of young men, and we will have a good talk." - Polemarchus

Socrates first meets with the aged Cephalus and the conversation begins as such (along with the virtues of hope and the fears of the eternal punishment in this conversation)...

"You don't come to see me, Socrates, as often as you ought: If I were still able to go and see you I would not ask you to come to me. But at my age I can hardly get to the city, and therefore you should come oftener to the Piraeus. For let me tell you, that the more the pleasures of the body fade away, the greater to me is the pleasure and charm of conversation. Do not then deny my request, but make our house your resort and keep company with these young men; we are old friends, and you will be quite at home with us. " - Cephalus

"There is nothing which for my part I like better, Cephalus, than conversing with aged men; for I regard them as travellers who have gone a journey which I too may have to go, and of whom I ought to enquire, whether the way is smooth and easy, or rugged and difficult. And this is a question which I should like to ask of you who have arrived at that time which the poets call the 'threshold of old age' --Is life harder towards the end, or what report do you give of it?" - Socrates

"I will tell you, Socrates", he said, "What my own feeling is. Men of my age flock together; we are birds of a feather, as the old proverb says; and at our meetings the tale of my acquaintance commonly is --I cannot eat, I cannot drink; the pleasures of youth and love are fled away: there was a good time once, but now that is gone, and life is no longer life. Some complain of the slights which are put upon them by relations, and they will tell you sadly of how many evils their old age is the cause. But to me, Socrates, these complainers seem to blame that which is not really in fault. For if old age were the cause, I too being old, and every other old man, would have felt as they do. But this is not my own experience, nor that of others whom I have known. How well I remember the aged poet Sophocles, when in answer to the question, How does love suit with age, Sophocles, --are you still the man you were? Peace, he replied; most gladly have I escaped the thing of which you speak; I feel as if I had escaped from a mad and furious master. His words have often occurred to my mind since, and they seem as good to me now as at the time when he uttered them. For certainly old age has a great sense of calm and freedom; when the passions relax their hold, then, as Sophocles says, we are freed from the grasp not of one mad master only, but of many. The truth is, Socrates, that these regrets, and also the complaints about relations, are to be attributed to the same cause, which is not old age, but men's characters and tempers; for he who is of a calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition youth and age are equally a burden." - Cephalus

"One, he said, of which I could not expect easily to convince others. For let me tell you, Socrates, that when a man thinks himself to be near death, fears and cares enter into his mind which he never had before; the tales of a world below and the punishment which is exacted there of deeds done here were once a laughing matter to him, but now he is tormented with the thought that they may be true: either from the weakness of age, or because he is now drawing nearer to that other place, he has a clearer view of these things; suspicions and alarms crowd thickly upon him, and he begins to reflect and consider what wrongs he has done to others. And when he finds that the sum of his transgressions is great he will many a time like a child start up in his sleep for fear, and he is filled with dark forebodings. But to him who is conscious of no sin, sweet hope, as Pindar charmingly says, is the kind nurse of his age: Hope, he says, cherishes the soul of him who lives in justice and holiness and is the nurse of his age and the companion of his journey; --hope which is mightiest to sway the restless soul of man." - Cephalus

I once had a friend like these by the name of Aubrey. I am a Lab Technician and Aubrey was a foreman. Aubrey had the investment sense like none other I have met. Aubrey was also a member of a Baptist church and delighted in going to church all dressed up. He would also drink a little bit so he was not that strict of a Baptist.

"Men of my age flock together; we are birds of a feather, as the old proverb says..." - Cephalus

It is an enjoyable thing to have responsible and wise friends to discourse with. As far as the idolatry this story begins with, the Apostle Paul states...

29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. - Acts 17

So God 'winked at' the idolatry in historical times. But once the Gospel was presented the responsibility of the listeners was to repent.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Republic Socrates has dialog with a number of friends. With each conversation the dialog is positive and constructive. There was one occasion in which he had a student carried away with the pleasures of his youth. I have categorized the level of states from z/d to E/c2 as such...

1. Spiritually awakened
2. Spiritually progressive
3. Spiritually dynamic
4. The spiritual epitome

And the journey from E/c2 (light and energy) to z/d (darkness and coldness)

1. Spiritual epitome
2. Spiritual lay-back
3. Spiritual play boy
4. Spiritual melancholic

Those who dwell in the upper world in every case will chastise spiritual playboys whose lives are entangled in the partying scene.... Socrates angrily tears Alcibiades from the embrace of sensual pleasure by Jean-Baptiste Regnault (1791)...

Socrates-Alcibiades_zpsxyrfpg8t.jpg

It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart. - Ecclesiastes 7:2
Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. - 2 Timothy 2:22

In his dealing with Alcibiades Socrates shows almost saint like characteristics.