The Power Of The Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that's a hypothetical for which it may seem there is only one correct answer, but actually either answer could be correct in a real situation depending on a person's heart. In your example, of course, you have already defined one son as being wicked and one being good. But consider this:

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18

Why did you or the person who first told the story decide one son was "good"?
It is a hypothetical. And as an illustration it can, of course, be pulled apart (I told you I'd make a mess of the illustration....we can remove "good" and "bad". But the gist remains. Like you say, it is the heart. The son praying for God to give his father life out of love, even though it was God's will that his father perish, was praying the will of the Father.

We do not have to wonder what God's will is for us. It is written between Genesis 1 and Revelation 22. When we look at our lives we can see if we are walking in a Christ-like manner or if we are seeking after our own fleshly desires.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a hypothetical. And as an illustration it can, of course, be pulled apart (I told you I'd make a mess of the illustration....we can remove "good" and "bad". But the gist remains. Like you say, it is the heart. The son praying for God to give his father life out of love, even though it was God's will that his father perish, was praying the will of the Father.

We do not have to wonder what God's will is for us. It is written between Genesis 1 and Revelation 22. When we look at our lives we can see if we are walking in a Christ-like manner or if we are seeking after our own fleshly desires.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you.
This is why we do need the Holy Spirit in our lives and helping us even when we read the scriptures.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

By the way... Welcome to the forum!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why we do need the Holy Spirit in our lives and helping us even when we read the scriptures.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

Amen, and if I may add: For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: Hebrews 8:10

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Well, exactly; we need the Holy Spirit graciously to illuminate our reading of Scripture.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Does the Church have power today? If not why not? And if it does where does that power come from?

I think that some parts of the Church do have power through the work of the Holy Spirit who is welcome in their midst. But I also think that many churches are missing out on that power due to the belief that those gifts have ceased and are not for today.