The Power Of The Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1:1-26

Outline of Acts. Acts chapter 1 Ac 1:1-9. Christ, preparing his apostles to the beholding of his ascension, gathers them together unto the mount Olivet, commands them to expect in Jerusalem the sending down of the Holy Ghost, promises after a few days to send it, and ascends into heaven in their sight. Ac 1:10-11.

Prologue To Acts 1-2, Appearances Of The Resurrected Christ 3-8, Ascension Of Christ 9-11, Anticipation Of The Spirit 12-14, Appointment Of Matthias 15-26

Acts One:1 English Standard Version (ESV) The Promise of the Holy Spirit. 1 In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach,

Acts 1 - NKJV Bible - Bible Study Tools

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The power of the Church is the Holy Spirit but few churches know how to really tap into that power.

Reactions: amadeus

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The power of the Church is the Holy Spirit but few churches know how to really tap into that power.
Colossians 1:27 is a powerful verse: “God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit came upon certain people to empower them for service, but then He would leave again.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Colossians 1:27 is a powerful verse: “God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit came upon certain people to empower them for service, but then He would leave again.
But now we are in NT times the Holy Spirit is a permanent presence in the Church of Christ Jesus.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think we "tap into" the power of God, but rather that the power of God is present in us (individually and corporately) when we are obedient. This, IMHO, is what Paul speaks of as "not I but Christ in me".

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But now we are in NT times the Holy Spirit is a permanent presence in the Church of Christ Jesus.

The presence of the Spirit is never a guarantee. We can grieve the Spirit and quench the Spirit so that we need a repentance of a renewal to faithfulness to the covenant that Jesus paid the price of.

It's this idea that we don't lack anything that stops us from seeking the Lord.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think we "tap into" the power of God, but rather that the power of God is present in us (individually and corporately) when we are obedient. This, IMHO, is what Paul speaks of as "not I but Christ in me".
Very true. But in order for God's power to be manifested on earth through the Church one condition is crucial -- all must be in "one accord, with one heart and one soul". And that is rarely found even in local churches, where believers are supposedly in harmony and unity.

ACTS 4
23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou
art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:...
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any
of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold...

Satan makes sure that there are always divisions and dissensions among Christians, and that is what blocks the power of God. This is a part of the spiritual battle, and too many Christians don't even understand what's going on.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true. But in order for God's power to be manifested on earth through the Church one condition is crucial -- all must be in "one accord, with one heart and one soul". And that is rarely found even in local churches, where believers are supposedly in harmony and unity.

ACTS 4
23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.
24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou
art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:...
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any
of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold...

Satan makes sure that there are always divisions and dissensions among Christians, and that is what blocks the power of God. This is a part of the spiritual battle, and too many Christians don't even understand what's going on.
It is unfortunate. Churches too often "loose their First Love" and take their eyes off Christ. The gospel unites in Christ. Our preferences and diverse understandings serve another purpose.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The bible tells us that when he came out of the water he was filled with the Holy Spirit, So after he had been filled with the Holy Spirit he was led by the Holy Spirit into the desert where he was tempted by Satan but resisted. Then we are told that he returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit which gave him his authority

Matthew 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.”

Luke 4:1-2 says, “Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil.”

Luke 4:14 says, “Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside.”

I think that this is a crucial ‘key’ for living our Christian lives effectively. I know I have been filled by the Holy Spirit, probably more than once, and I know that I have been led by the Holy Spirit occasionally, but I can’t say that I have ever truly walked in the power of the Spirit with authority.

B

brakelite

When I am weak, then I am strong.
The Power of God is manifest in those who come to Him as empty vessels, willing to take the lowest seat in the house.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The presence of the Spirit is never a guarantee. We can grieve the Spirit and quench the Spirit so that we need a repentance of a renewal to faithfulness to the covenant that Jesus paid the price of.

It's this idea that we don't lack anything that stops us from seeking the Lord.
yes, I'm all of the time thinking that I already have what I'm suppose to have, but the scriptures reveals differently all the time for the new birth in Christ.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedient certainly but also acting according to God's will. Sometimes we ask for things that God will not do for His reasons. If we are paying attention as His sheep we will hear His voice so that we know something is NOT His will.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obedient certainly but also acting according to God's will. Sometimes we ask for things that God will not do for His reasons. If we are paying attention as His sheep we will hear His voice so that we know something is NOT His will.
True.

I can't remember where this came from (and I'll try not to make a mess of it):

An elderly man had two sons, one wicked and one good. The man fell sick. The wicked son prayed that his father would die so that he would inherit his estate. The good son prayed that God would spare the father he loved. It was God's will that the father die, and that night he passed in his sleep. Which son was acting in accordance to God's will?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True.

I can't remember where this came from (and I'll try not to make a mess of it):

An elderly man had two sons, one wicked and one good. The man fell sick. The wicked son prayed that his father would die so that he would inherit his estate. The good son prayed that God would spare the father he loved. It was God's will that the father die, and that night he passed in his sleep. Which son was acting in accordance to God's will?
No, that's a hypothetical for which it may seem there is only one correct answer, but actually either answer could be correct in a real situation depending on a person's heart. In your example, of course, you have already defined one son as being wicked and one being good. But consider this:

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18

Why did you or the person who first told the story decide one son was "good"?