The pride of men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you have improperly defined pride. Are you NOT proud to be a child of God?

That is back to the meaning of me being somehow greater that others because I am a child of God - and that is bad!!
Complete nonsense. Pride and being greater than others are mutually exclusive. Worse, you did not answer the question.

Seems you are an ego destroyer. Yet, we are to be like the lord who spoke of his own sense of self. “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." "I" and "me" are very relevant to the point. Are you following the way, truth and life? (What a pride filled answer).

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now back to the subject of "pride" in the Biblical sense

Ecclesiastes 3:12-13
12 I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live; 13 also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer to you comment comes in understanding that we have words in the English language that while the same word, they have completely different meaning!!
Yup. That's why it is imprudent to categorically deny the benefits if having proper self esteem.
I have been waiting for this type of comment, because the Lord has gone of this issue in the past with me, saying things like "It is fine to be happy with your son when He tries hard, but that is not the same thing as you thinking you are smarter than God."
No one thinks like this.
So in case you could not figure it out, the thread and the use of pride in the Bible has to do with us thinking we are good and so that we don't need God. That is always wrong, because it always leads away from the Lord your God!!
Agreed. But I agree with @MatthewG that you are trying too hard to make a point. So, I'll bow out of this thread.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Complete nonsense. Pride and being greater than others are mutually exclusive. Worse, you did not answer the question.

Seems you are an ego destroyer. Yet, we are to be like the lord who spoke of his own sense of self. “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." "I" and "me" are very relevant to the point. Are you following the way, truth and life? (What a pride filled answer).

A quick look at the internet for a definition of pride resulted in this statement concerning the Sin of Pride:

“The Hebrew word translated “pride” in this verse means to act in a way toward others that makes it seem that you believe your are better than they are…”

Attributed to the site www.wordofhisgrace.org

And how many times do I have to tell you to seek the Lord Jesus Christ!!

So if you have questions, why are you asking me?? Is it not because you think you are smarter that God?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Karl Peters what do you think about "inspiration"? If I think I am inspired of the Holy Spirit, is that pride?
Listening to God and doing what He says is humility not pride!! Asking God for help is in fact and in deed humbling ourselves before God!

hum·ble
[ˈhəmb(ə)l]

VERB
humbling (present participle)
  1. lower (someone) in dignity or importance:
    "I knew he had humbled himself to ask for my help"

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing i know . Some folks believe and preach BODLY THE TRUTH
and some folks believe and preach BODLY a lie . WE MIGHT WANNA REMEMBER THIS ONE .
Cause i have seen what some do teach and believe you and believe you me THEY BODLY PREACH A LIE BIG TIME .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Listening to God and doing what He says is humility not pride!! Asking God for help is in fact and in deed humbling ourselves before God!

hum·ble
[ˈhəmb(ə)l]

VERB
humbling (present participle)
  1. lower (someone) in dignity or importance:
    "I knew he had humbled himself to ask for my help"​
I want to humble myself, because I want to enlarge my inspiration. If I focus on being inspired and not saved by Grace, some people seem to think I am neglecting "Grace". But I don't want my inspiration to diminish.

Do you see where I am coming from?

Reactions: Wrangler

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to humble myself, because I want to enlarge my inspiration. If I focus on being inspired and not saved by Grace, some people seem to think I am neglecting "Grace". But I don't want my inspiration to diminish.

Do you see where I am coming from?
Focus on a relationship with Jesus Christ!!! That means communication between you and Him!! And that basically comes down to "Hear, O Israel", the foremost command!

Now, if a person doesn't know the Lord personally, they will come up with all sorts of ideas - and they don't even know they are coming from. If on the other hand you seek Jesus Christ and His voice you are going to be inspired by Him and you are also going to get His mercy and grace - meaning His salvation!!

So you don't have to worry about the inspiration, because the Lord will inspire you.
And you don't have to worry about the grace, because the Lord will give you grace.
And you don't even have to worry about salvation, because the Lord will give you salvation!

You get all that if you seek the Lord by faith!! Seeking Him and hearing what He has to say to you is done because you believe in Him. And the opposite is also true - meaning that if you don't seek the Lord and His voice it is because you don't believe Him!!

People don't seek Him because of their pride, they don't want to believe He is there, otherwise they would have to drop their pride - meaning they know that God would prove them to be wrong, and their pride (self exultation) couldn't handle that - so in their heart they tell themselves that He is not their to be heard from.

The humble person has the realization that they do need someone smarter than Him, so they seek God to see if they can find help from God, and with that seeking they find, just like it is written! So it is the humble person that winds up in a relationship with the Lord - which is to say they wind up having conversations with Him and they reason with Him.

So look at the relationship with Him - and that as seen in this verse:

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD,
“Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.

And Isaiah started by pointing out that His people don't know Him - they didn't look for a relationship with Him!

Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth;
For the LORD speaks,
“Sons I have reared and brought up,
But they have revolted against Me.
“An ox knows its owner,
And a donkey its master’s manger,

But Israel does not know,
My people do not understand.”

That is the problem - His people DO NOT KNOW HIM - BECAUSE THEY DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!

So just make it about knowing Him, meaning reasoning together with Him - meaning talking to Him and listening to Him!!

You can be sure He will inspire you to do things, but the main thing He wants to inspire you to do is: "Listen to Him"!!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup. That's why it is imprudent to categorically deny the benefits if having proper self esteem.

What's sad about the above statement is that "Humility" is having the proper self-esteem!!

But the person into pride can't even see this, because they have been blinded by their pride!!

Jesus Christ, the Lord our God, is always with us and is even looking to guide your steps. If a person understands this they are truly a wise person and are truly a humble person. However they was truly only One person who truly understood this, and that person was Jesus the Christ who came down our of heaven and took on flesh!! He, though the first born, the perfect image of God, and is One with God, and that because He did, has, and only ever has done and said what the Father told Him, thereby fully submitting to His Father - had the proper self-esteem!! His self-esteem was such that He did not even consider the depths of God something to be understood, not even by Him. So He fully esteemed His Father and not Himself!!

That is not what Wrangler is talking about in his post, is it!!

Now if he had ever gotten to know the Lord and spent time with Him, it would have started becoming aware to him that God is just way, way, way, way beyond us!! So you start figuring out pretty quicly that the proper self-esteem for us to have is HUMILITY!!!

Yet this thread is really bothering some people!! What does that tell us about them??

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
AUH :)

I have been waiting for this to come up, and I am frankly surprised that it didn't get brought up sooner!!

The answer to you comment comes in understanding that we have words in the English language that while the same word, they have completely different meaning!!

For example: If I tell someone, "Wow you are soo cool!" Am I talking about their temperature or their style?

So when I am talking about "Pride" am I talking about how we think highly of ourselves or are we expressing a love for someone else who we care for? And even when we look at the verse provided, we can see that God did not use a word that is translated "pride" in our Bible.

I have been waiting for this type of comment, because the Lord has gone of this issue in the past with me, saying things like "It is fine to be happy with your son when He tries hard, but that is not the same thing as you thinking you are smarter than God."

So in case you could not figure it out, the thread and the use of pride in the Bible has to do with us thinking we are good and so that we don't need God. That is always wrong, because it always leads away from the Lord your God!!

Now back to the subject of "pride" in the Biblical sense: Wrangler asked:

That is back to the meaning of me being somehow greater that others because I am a child of God - and that is bad!!

Have we not read that through Him all things were created???

Now the Lord loves me and since I hear Him He tells me often how much He loves me, and He says it like "Karl, you can not even image the depths of the love that I have for you." Still, that does not make me proud to be a child of His, it makes me happy that He calls me His child and that He loves me. I mean, just because He loves me it doesn't mean He doesn't love others, and what did I do that was so great that He decided to love me, except perhaps that I like being around Him and listening to Him. And still even my doing that was set up by Him!! So I see no reason to be proud of that, or think greater of myself because He loves me and calls me "sons"!!!

In the same way; The Father saying that He is greatly pleased with His Son and telling us to listen to Him, is not the same thing as the Father having pride, meaning He thinks greater of Himself than He should!! The Father knows what He planned and He knows what is created. So where does pride figure in??? It doesn't! But being please with His creation does figure in but that is a different thing!!

So it is that we kept reading in Gen 1 the phrase "and God saw that it was good."

Gen 1:31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Seems like there is a lot of confusion over something that has a clear example in the Lord Jesus.

No one in history had more cause than Jesus did to be prideful. But he came demonstrating the greatest humility. Philippians 2:5-8
"5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!"

How low did he humble himself? Psalms 22:6
"But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people."

Reactions: Karl Peters

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems like there is a lot of confusion over something that has a clear example in the Lord Jesus.

No one in history had more cause than Jesus did to be prideful. But he came demonstrating the greatest humility. Philippians 2:5-8
"5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!"

How low did he humble himself? Psalms 22:6
"But I am a worm and not a man,
scorned by everyone, despised by the people."

The above is absolutely correct - but it is not the full explanation!!

How exactly did Jesus humble Himself and serve???? And if we understand the how He humbled Himself then we to know how we are to humble ourselves - but if we don't complete the explanation we easily just stay in our pride!!!

Jesus humbled Himself by doing and saying ONLY what the Father told Him!!!!!!!!!!

But note that is not in the explanation above!!!!!

Why did that part get missed in our understanding???

The why actually is explained above, but it is not easily seen. The why is because, unlike Him, we have pride!! Indeed all of us men/women don't do and say only what we are told, therefore we don't understand!! Instead we, when we talk to each other, don't actually seek what the Word of God (Jesus Christ- the One who does and says only what the Father tells Him) so we don't humble ourselves like Jesus did!

Therefore instead of seeking God for His words to us, we say things which are for our advantage!
Therefore we are not actually serving Him, but us.
Therefore we are not found with the very nature of God.
Therefore we don't become obedient, even unto death on the cross.
And this all shows that we actually despise Jesus Christ who is the Word of God who we are supposed to listen to!!

So we all have the pride of men!! Yet for the glory of God we are still able to be saved, because of what Jesus Christ did by going to the cross because men despised Him, and Him still forgiving us!!

Yet that salvation is still based upon belief in Him!!!

Yet if we believe in Him even a little bit - we at least a little bit seek Him and His word spoken to us!!!

And again - I want to point out that hearing Him and doing what He says is the big thing missing in the explanation!!

It seems we are unaware of the WWJD!!!

So again WWJD????? He would and still does to this day only does and says what the Father tells Him!!! Could we not do that at least a little??

Have we not read that faith comes from hearing a word from Him?? (Rm 10)
Do we not know that the Word of God we preach (Jesus Christ) is near us? (Rm 10)

Ok - because of pride we are never going to be Him who did and said only what God tells us, but a person with faith in Jesus Christ does at least a little, hear His voice and do what He tells them, at least a little!!!

His sheep do hear His voice - not like we should and could - but at least a little - which explains why Jesus said - even to His personal disciples during His time on earth in the flesh - "men of little faith"!!!!

Mat 8:26 He *said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and [fn]it became perfectly calm.

Mat 16:8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, “You men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves that you have no bread?

Luke 12:287 “But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith!

What amazes me of knowing the Lord, is how we miss our not hearing the Lord like we should and could!!

My confession is that I only tend to hear from the Lord, via that small voice of His speaking to me in words I can understanding, about a dozen different times a day!! So I confess I don't say and do only what He tells me, but I do hear His voice and I do things because He speaks to me - at least a little. Enough to have seen Him personally heal people miraculously hundreds of times. Is saying all that boasting in me?? NO IT IS NOT - it is testifying about Him. I hear Him because He made that possible, not me. I see the miracles because I did what He told me and He then performed the miracles that cause people to be healed. And that we just being a man of little faith!!

I have seen legs grow out - seen people leave behind their wheel chair and walker. I have felt swelling go down under my own hand while praying at least 3 times. And that is just a few of the thousands of testimonies I have about Him - and I confess that I am just a man of little faith, someone like those disciples of His we read about in the Bible.

So who is it who doesn't know that Jesus humbles Himself (even to this day) by doing and saying only what the Father tells Him??

Do they even know Him and listen to Him as the Word of God??