The pride of men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whoop! there it is! Yes the Spirit is our instructor and comforter--that was never in dispute.
Well ok, but not exactly! Jesus Christ is actually our Teacher and the Word of God, because the Holy Spirit does not speak on His own but He takes the words of God which belong to Jesus Christ and speaks the to us. Therefore the Holy Spirit is like a living telephone line or perhaps a computer streaming what Jesus Christ has to say.

If you were taking and on-line class, you wouldn't say the computer is the Teacher would you? The Teacher is the One that the computer is showing us and bringing His words to us. Below are the verses that show us this:

Jn 16: 13-15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

What we read above shows us that Jesus Christ has been given all things that the Father has!! That includes the very words of God!! So Jesus Christ owns the words of God, because His Father gave them to Him!! So if you ask Jesus Christ a question you get an answer from Jesus Christ, but that because the Holy Spirit takes those words of His and speaks them to our spirit. That is like what a phone does!! And if we are on the Phone we might say we are on the Phone but not that we are speaking to the phone but rather to the person whose words the phone is bringing us! In the same way we might say we are in the Spirit, however the Spirit does not speak His own words, some we don't say the Spirit is speaking to us, but rather we say that Jesus Christ our Lord and Teacher is talking to us!!

You can see this in the book Revelation. In Revelation we find that all seven churches were told to let those who have an ear to hear, hear what the Spirit has to say. Never-the-less - try to find a single word in the book which is actually credited to belonging to the Spirit? What you actually find is that John was taken up in the Spirit but John heard from angels and the Lord Jesus Christ, but not a word from the Holy Spirit!!! So all was given through the Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit does not get credit for any of the words!!

Therefore the Holy Spirit might be considered our comforter because He comforts us by bringing us the word of God which come from Jesus Christ the Lord our God, and Teacher, yet He is not the Teacher because the Teacher is the One whose words the Spirit brings to us! That is why we read, "He will takes of Mine and disclose it to you!! Indeed Jesus spoke that twice so there might not be confusion in this!!

And if you care to understand, The Holy Spirit does it that way because the Holy Spirit is out to glorify the Son and not Himself!!! That is also seen in the verses above where Jesus said "He will glorify Me"!!

The Father wants the Son glorified, and the Holy Spirit wants the Son Glorified, so we too need to understand that we come into agreement with the Father and the Spirit!! Because of all this we say Jesus Christ is Lord, and Jesus Christ is the Teacher, and Jesus Christ is our friend, and Jesus Christ is the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, and Jesus Christ is the Word of God. The Lord our God is One, because the words of God that we hear come down from the Father, and are given to the Son, and the Holy Spirit takes His words and speaks them to our spirit!

Therefore we listen to the Holy Spirit and is He gives us the words of God which Jesus owns, but we don't glorify the Holy Spirit, because He glorifies Jesus Christ the Son of God!!

For example: My mom is a Christian but her sister was a New Age High Priestess! When talking you find out that they glorify the Holy Spirit but they are not sure about Jesus Christ. As far as her thinking, Jesus was probably dead, and we know that the Holy Spirit does not glorify Himself and tells us that Jesus Christ is Lord, and is alive and active!! So my mom's sister did not know what spirit she was hearing from.

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is accursed”; and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Indeed, I know Christians who do hear from our Lord Jesus Christ via the Holy Spirit who use that above verse to test the spirits. That is to say if they hear a small spiritual voice, they check out that spirit by getting a confession that Jesus Christ is Lord from that spirit! I often use 1 Cor 12:3 along with 1 Jn 4:1-3! Let us not forget that an evil spirit might come as an angel of light - and the Holy Spirit is the angel of the Lord, and Jesus Christ is the light!

Therefore the devils try to glorify themselves by pretending to be the Holy Spirit, and get people to worship them and give them glory, But the Holy Spirit does not glorify Himself, but always glorifies Jesus Christ the Son of God. So you might want to consider the following statement from your post : "the Spirit is our instructor", because the Holy Spirit says Jesus Christ is the Lord, and even the Teacher!!

Mat 26:18 And He said, “Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is near; I am to keep the Passover at your house with My disciples.”'”

Note that Jesus called Himself "The Teacher" and not the Holy Spirit!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you are just looking to far into it @Karl Peters.

I said there is good pride and bad pride.

I would define one as you can be proud of things you accomplish on your own without the need of others validating you. Also by giving yourself over to be proud of the accomplishments of others in which maybe your the dad and they need validation they need encourgament or whatever.

The other is being proud of yourself as though you are better than others; and you demean them in your mind and thoughts even in front of them…

Having confidence in God is good; givi g him credit as he helps you along the way is good; but having good pride is not bad; like bad pride that looks down the snout of ones nose to others.

God gave us these things didnt he; to have a mind/will/emotions?

The only good things that come from heaven those is and only by the spirit that is given by God; but here is the “morality” part of us and maybe your right but; anyway just wanted to address that small section of chatter.

Again, that is wrong!

There is not good pride!!! All pride is bad!! Our pride is what keeps us from seeking Jesus Christ and listening to Him!!

An evil spirit of pride, like that snake in the garden, wants you to think you can be like God knowing good and evil. Wow, Adam and Eve didn't even know that snake was evil!! So they didn't listen to the Lord and ate! What they really ate of was their idea that they could really be like God. You can listen to God, like Jesus who said He did and said only what the Father tells Him, but even Jesus did that because He did not consider the depths of God to be something to be grasped!

Now God did give us a mind - a will and even a free will - and emotions, but those He gave us so that we might have a close personal relationship with Him!! You can not have a close personal relationship with a machine, but you can have a close personal relationship with your wife who has a mind, a will and even a free will, and also emotions!!

So those things that God gave us were meant to create a loving relationship between us and God, and were not meant for us to just take off on leaning on our own understanding and our thinking we can be like God so we don't need Him. Indeed those things - a mind, free will, and emotions, were all meant to lead us to Him, but we listened to that snake of old who tells us we can be like God instead of telling us that we need to serve God with what He gave us. They should have promoted a close relationship with God, and a confidence in God, but we listened to the snake instead of obeying God.

So we do have a choice, a mind, and emotions, but are those things going to turn us to the Lord our God Jesus Christ, by using our mind to reason with his mind so we might learn from Him, and by freely turning back to Him because we realize that He is smarter than us, and cause us to love Him with our emotions that we might desire Him above all things? That is what should happen, but we foolishly listen to that snake, that spirit of pride instead of the Holy Spirit which gives us confidence in God.

Having pride, even such a great pride that we think we are smarter than God so we don't have to listen to Him is foolishness. Where as having confidence in God so we regularly turn back to Him and listen to Him, gives us life and cause us to love Him!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh well Karl.

That sounds like pride to me, to not even just say hey man those are some good points but i still disagree…

Im just saying its okay to be proud of yourself… but not in a narrasstic way.

The bible talks about …

But let each man prove his own work, and then shall he have his glorying in regard of himself alone, and not of his neighbor.
1689675109993.png
Bible.com

Galatians 6:4-5 - Bible.com

4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.

Maybe you havent seen this section in a while…

If i said you dont need God; just look in at yourself it would be a different story; you are trying to be humble while telling me,

Youre wrong… without even asking

Well how do you figure?

Humility is the way. Im not better than you or anyone;
but i dont believe im wrong just cause you say so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭9‬-‭14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Here is another great story to add to your thread…

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh well Karl.

That sounds like pride to me, to not even just say hey man those are some good points but i still disagree…

Im just saying its okay to be proud of yourself… but not in a narrasstic way.

The bible talks about …

But let each man prove his own work, and then shall he have his glorying in regard of himself alone, and not of his neighbor.
View attachment 34730
Bible.com

Galatians 6:4-5 - Bible.com

4 Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else.

Maybe you havent seen this section in a while…

If i said you dont need God; just look in at yourself it would be a different story; you are trying to be humble while telling me,

Youre wrong… without even asking

Well how do you figure?

Humility is the way. Im not better than you or anyone;
but i dont believe im wrong just cause you say so.
You see turning people to Jesus Christ to listen to Him as "pride:, because you don't turn and listen to Him:

Pride shows up in little statements like "That sounds like pride to me:, because that statement shows that it is about your thinking!

And it shows up in " i still disagree", because again that is a statement based on your thinking.

And it really shows up in "but i dont believe im wrong", because that statement shows you are putting your faith in your own thinking!!

All that is the opposite of turning people to the Lord our God!! It is in fact a clear demonstration of who you lean on your own understanding instead of turning to the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has to say - and you have made a practice of it - according to you own words!

Of course it is not about you or I, but us as a people isn't it?

The Lord gave me these two verses this morning for posting:

Deut 8:11-14 Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today; otherwise, when you have eaten and are satisfied, and have built good houses and lived in them, and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and gold multiply, and all that you have multiplies, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

This is the problem: that the people of this nation have become proud, and even His people who call themselves Christians but they say 'I think' and not 'He says to me.'

It is not that we can't and don't think, but our message we preach is the Word of God, meaning we are turning people and that includes ourselves to Jesus Christ, The Word of God, to hear what He has to say.

So when I indeed look at myself, I tell myself that I do need God and so turn back and listen to Him!! That is what I have been saying all along!! Look at yourself and that will cause you to turn back to God and listen to Him!! I say that because I do that. Of course I don't to it perfectly: only Jesus does and say only what the Father tells Him! But we can choose to say "I think", or we can choose look to Him as listen to Him for what 'He thinks!' One is called pride and the other is called humility.

So it is when we look, that we find one person is saying "I think" and another saying "seek Jesus Christ and listen to Him"

It is not that I don't think, but that my thinking is to turn to Him and listen to Him - not that I am perfect or even close to it, but that listening to Him is my goal!

So yes - " look in at yourself", I do and decide that I do need Him and His words to listen to! That is why my message is listen to Him. It was doing that very thing which started the thread, or did you not read the OP?

Did you not read things like:

One of the things about the Lord is that He is the Teacher. So as the LORD OF LORDS and our Lord, we get instructions from Him
Where in the opening line of my post I proclaim He is the Teacher and that we get instructions from Him?
and what about"

He got me up in the middle of the night to post a teaching
Did I not make it clear that He was giving me instructions and that I was hearing them?

So if we look to ourselves do we not see a clear difference?

Did you not quote the Bible where is it written:

let each man prove his own work?

Well - I took the verse you provided and did just that and what does it show?

Does it not show that I testify about hearing and getting instructions from Him?

but is it written " let each man prove his own work" so what about you? It is also important that you look at your work and your writings, because we need our society to be seeking the Lord and listening to Him!! Otherwise as a society we forget God and then the verses after Deut 8:11-14 will take effect because God does not change!

Deut 8:20 “Like the nations that the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the LORD your God.

I did not put the OP out to just you, but to a people who call themselves Christians, even to a "Christian nation" who has now had a pride month and have told themselves that some pride is good!! Can that not even see how wrong they are? Can they not even prove their own work? Do that just look to themselves and forget about God? So then is God not a righteous God who will keep His word? Will it not come to pass that:

“Like the nations that the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the LORD your God."

I tell you truly that if you heard all that I hear from the Lord there would be a fear of God!!!

Would it really be so hard in this day and age for God to have fire rained down from heaven on this nation? So do you really want to keep saying "i think' as opposed to saying we need to seek the Lord and His voice to listen to Him?

Do you not even know that the work of God is that all should come to know the Lord?

He has commanded me to preach Him as the Word of God so that all should come to know Him by listening to Him!!

Still some still write " i still disagree"!!

They are wrong and don't expect me to say otherwise!! They need to start listening to the Lord and His voice!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Karl Peters i dont like when you talk to me like I am a child who needs to be corrected by some other person.

Thank you for just going on about what you suggest you know about me…

Wont address you again, see ya. God speed.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, I heard that song before. I like it. I remember hearing it on the Harvest Crusade with Pastor Greg Laurie.

I agree that we are not clones, and I don't think God works in everyone's life in the exact same way. I think we can prove that from the Bible. Not everyone got told to build an ark. Not everyone got swallowed by a giant fish. Not everyone was a prophet. Not everyone was an apostle. Paul even talks about people having different roles in the Church, like the Body of Christ has many members. I don't think God communicates with his people in all the same way either.
Totally agreed. We have a God of such variety with not only plants and animals and whole foods, but with humans too. We all should compliment each other and not say to one 'you are an uncomely part, we don't need you...' All the body fits together as He has said yet, there are many churches who are missing body parts! So, they cannot be considered whole in my book.

Reactions: Cassandra

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
One of the things about the Lord is that He is the Teacher. So as the LORD OF LORDS and our Lord, we get instructions from Him, and as The Teacher, we also get teachings from Him. And for the teachings, He often gets me up in the middle of the night so I don't get distracted. Now this morning He got me up in the middle of the night to post a teaching He gave me, which is really from a series of teachings He has given me, with a bit more given about them. This came up on another thread, but He wanted it to have it's on thread.

The first teaching He gave on this subject was about the difference between pride and confidence. I had only known the Lord a year or two when I decided to ask Him about the difference between pride and confidence. They seem so similar but in the Bible it seems pride is a bad thing. So, He took me on a walk and explained it.

He was telling me that pride cause us to want more. For example, because of pride we feel we need to have more than our neighbor. The old 'Keeping up with the Jones' phrase us a perfect example of how pride works in our lives. Because of pride we need a nice car, or a nice boat, or a nice house, or a better job, or more prestigious position.... Pride causes us to want more and more and more, and we can never get enough!!

Prov 27:20 Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied,
Nor are the eyes of man ever satisfied.

Because of their pride both angels in heaven and men fell from grace! And the sign that they have pride is that they are never satisfied. Does that not remind you of the rich person who can't be rich enough, and the politician who can never have enough power over others? That is pride at work!

Now the Lord continued on the walk with me, and then discussed confidence. He explained that all true confidence was confidence in Him!! That is to say the confident man believes God made Him, proves for him. So the truly confident man understands that since God made him he must be good enough to do what God asks of him, and since God proves for him he must have or be getting what he needs. Therefore, if his neighbor gets a bigger car and he didn't then he doesn't need the bigger car, the new house, the more prestigious position. That results in a satisfied man, and a very confident man, because he understands that God is with him and is in control.

The Lord was telling me, 'That with confidence in Him, you understand that you don't even need the car, because God can find a way to get you around. You don't need the house, because God has a place for you to stay. And the Lord told me, that with real confidence in Him you understand that you don't even need the air you breath, because He has a place in heaven for you and He will get you there!! Remember that Jesus did not have a place to lay His head, but was lead by the Spirit. And that Jesus ascended to heaven when His body was killed. So He demonstrated what real confidence can look like.

And the Lord continued saying something like "So if God gives you a car, He has a purpose for it. And if God gives you a house He has a purpose for it. And if He gives you a palace with a calm sea in front of it, then He has a purpose for that too." Therefore we need to ask the Lord for the purpose He has for what He gives us, and what we need to do with it! We need to stop just asking for more and more and more - but if you don't see what you need to accomplish, ask Him about that. Perhaps you have what you need already, or there is a place to go and get it.

Now that is the teaching He gave me on pride and confidence, and the 'Pride of men' teaching builds on it. Now while the pride of men has something in common with the pride of Satan, it is not the same. The pride of Satan caused him to go before God and ask that Job be delivered into his hands in order to lie, cheat, steal, and kill. The pride of men may result in the same things, but the pride of men causes men to not go before God!!

You see, Satan already knew the Lord so his pride caused him to think he could trick God to get His power and authority, because Satan could not deny the existence of God. Whereas men from birth don't yet know God so men think they can just deny the existence of God and that will mean they have the power and authority of God. That is to say that pride always leads us to wanting the ultimate in power and authority, meaning we (men and Satan) want to be God instead of serve God!! The difference being that Satan speaks to God to trick Him, but men seek to deny the existence of God so they are unwilling to hear from God!!!

Therefore the sign that a man has pride is that He does not seek to hear from God!!!!

A man might say in his heart that God is either dead or in some far-off place called heaven to return some day. That way the prideful men might take the things of God to declare himself to be God. Yet as for today the prideful man must conclude that God can not be with us to be heard from!

That is the pride of men, that they will not seek the voice of the Lord our God!!

Let me give a couple of examples from the Bible of men with pride, and men with confidence.

The Pharisees and Sadducees are the classic example of the pride of men. They picked the Scriptures, and the traditions of the time, and made themselves out to be the experts on God, though they never heard from Him. Therefore when the LORD OF LORDS AND KING OF KINGS, showed up before them in the flesh, they did not know who He was. And because of their pride that put themselves in fine clothes and nice places.

Contrast them with John the Baptist, who knew even before Jesus walked up to him in the flesh, knew that One was coming whom he was not worthy to even tie is sandals. And when Jesus did walk up to him, he saw the Spirit come down on Him like a dove. John heard with his spiritual ears, and saw with his spiritual eyes, because He sought God as opposed to trying to be God! So, John was out to serve God even if that meant being in the desert with poor clothing and food.

Now a mistake I saw in the other post is a common one. Both pride and confidence can make a man bold!! Indeed, the truly confident man can be much bolder than the prideful man!! John the Baptist was very bold, even in, and especially in the face of that Pharisees, saying things like:

Mat 3:2 “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Mat 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Of course, only God would have warned them of that, but since they didn't seek the voice of the Lord and even denied Him, they could not answer John's question to them?

And the question still is there to read today!! So it still needs and answer from us. Do we, because of our confidence in God, seek Him and so have heard the voice out of the cloud saying, “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!”

Of so, we are humble men leaning in our confidence in God, so we point people to Him. like John.

The prideful man, God resists, and they don't hear from Him or even seek to hear from Him, because they want to be God instead of serve God! They too might appear bold, but their boldness is based on their own pride so not on the Rock who is our Teacher! They assume a bold person is a prideful person because that is what they see in themselves. They can't even see in the Bible that humble men like Moses, Elijah, and John the Babtist were humble men but very bold men!! Confidence in God will make you bold, but that in order to being other men to the Lord and get them listening to Him!!!
This is pride and confidence, what about arrogance?

Or is that just a word for pridefulness?

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Karl Peters i dont like when you talk to me like I am a child who needs to be corrected by some other person.

Thank you for just going on about what you suggest you know about me…

Wont address you again, see ya. God speed.
Matthew - I am not telling you that you need to be corrected by men! I am telling you that you need to be corrected by God!!!!

That is why I tell you to stop leaning on your own understanding and seek Jesus Christ and His words to you!!!

So why did you misunderstand what I am telling you - is it not because of your pride; meaning you are thinking you are smarter than God instead of thinking that you need to hear from Him!!!

Is telling you that treating you as a child? Perhaps!! Are you not a child of God???? Did He not make you??? Did He not say that unless you become like this little child you cannot get into heaven??

You need correction by God, but not you only!! We are supposed to be children of God but through Isaiah God had it written:

Is 30: 9 For this is a rebellious people, false sons,
Sons who refuse to listen
To the instruction of the LORD;

Therefore God treated the rebellious people as sons, but false sons because they refused to listen to the instructions of the Lord!! And do you not understand that is because they had pride - the thinking that they were smarter than God! Even soooo much pride that they even are those - "

Is 30:L10 Who say to the seers, “You must not see visions”;
And to the prophets, “You must not prophesy to us what is right,
Speak to us pleasant words,
Prophesy illusions.

The Lord also said through Isaiah:

Is 1:2 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth;
For the LORD speaks,
“Sons I have reared and brought up,
But they have revolted against Me.

and also:

Is 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD,
“Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.

So the message has not changed!! Get out of your pride and Listen to the Lord. Get our of your pride and go and reason with the Lord!! That is the right thing to do!! Yet they still are saying. "You must not prophesy to us what is right" And to those the Lords calls those sons, "false sons".

Then someone writes that I have talked to them like children - to that I say AMEN - they are children of God, but those not willing to listen to Him are False sons!
Totally agreed. We have a God of such variety with not only plants and animals and whole foods, but with humans too. We all should compliment each other and not say to one 'you are an uncomely part, we don't need you...' All the body fits together as He has said yet, there are many churches who are missing body parts! So, they cannot be considered whole in my book.
YES - This is right. He does not give us all the same assignments, nor the same attributes, but we all have one thing is common and that it that His sheep hear His voice!!

As part of His instructions to me He once told me to Ezekiel 3 and asked me to read it. As I read it He started talking to me personally, and He will telling me similar (but not exactly the same thing) as to what He told Ezekeil then. He was telling me that He was sending me to a people who I could understand and who should listen to me, but that they would not be willing to listen to me since they were not willing to listen to Him. That was because my message to them was "listen to Him"! So if there are not willing to listen to Him and I have been asked by Him to tell them to listen to Him, they will not be willing to listen to me for that very reason.

And because He was specifically asking me to do that, He told me that He had made my head and are as their head! Therefore, by the design of God, one of my attributes is that I am a bit hard headed, and so I might get people to listen to Him! Still me being hard headed is a sign that I am zealous for Him, and want people to listen to Him. That is what is best for all of us, right?

Ezek 3: 4-9 Then He said to me, “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them. “For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language, but to the house of Israel, yet the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, since they are not willing to listen to Me. Surely the whole house of Israel is stubborn and obstinate. “Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. “Like emery harder than flint I have made your forehead. Do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them, though they are a rebellious house.”

Ok - God did not make every Christian with to be hardheaded, but He made me that way and for a purpose!! And it is the same purpose as He made Ezekiel hardheaded. He was being sent to a rebellious house who in general would not listen to the Lord because they were a rebellious house. That does not mean nobody listens to Him, because He always has a remnant, but in general that was a problem when Ezekiel lived so is it a problem now? What do we see today in the US of A? Even in my life time I have seen the percent of people in the USA who claim to be Christians fall from 80% to under 40%. So have we been listening to Him and bringing people to the Lord like we should, in general, or we too becoming in general a "rebellious house? And then why did He create me like He did and give me the message He has, if that is not the case? Does it not even seem like the end of time is getting closer and closer?

Ezek 12:2 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "“Son of man, you live in the midst of the rebellious house, who have eyes to see but do not see, ears to hear but do not hear; for they are a rebellious house."

So, based on what I hear, should I be quite? I care for this country and I care that people actually come to know Jesus Christ the Lord our God. So, I am just foolish enough and hardheaded enough to tell people that we all need to seek Him and His voice! We need to use our spiritual ears to actually hear what He has to say to us and stop being rebellious!

Of course you are correct Nancy - not everyone Christian has the same purpose and assignment for the Lord!! Never-the-less, all need to come to know Him personally, and that means hearing from Him! His sheep do hear His voice - period!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is pride and confidence, what about arrogance?

Or is that just a word for pridefulness?
Arrogance is an offspring of pride!! Or have you not heard that from Him?

Yet boldness is an offspring of God!!

1 Sam 2:1 Then Hannah prayed and said,
“My heart exults in the LORD;
My horn is exalted in the LORD,
My mouth speaks boldly against my enemies,
Because I rejoice in Your salvation.

There is an accuser of the saints who like to proclaim I am "arrogant", but that is not so!! I am bold because I know the Lord my God personally!! So boldly my mouth speaks against my enemies!! Just as I see my Father in heaven do!!

Mal 2: 1-3 “And now this commandment is for you, O priests. “If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,” says the LORD of hosts, “then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart. “Behold, I am going to rebuke your offspring, and I will spread refuse on your faces, the refuse of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it.

Was not Malachi bold when bring the message to listen which came from the Lord. So who confuses my boldly bringing the message to listen to the Lord with me being arrogant? It isn't an enemy of the Lord is it?

Ps 81:15 “Those who hate the LORD would pretend obedience to Him,
And their time of punishment would be forever.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Arrogance is an offspring of pride!! Or have you not heard that from Him?

1 Sam 2:1 Then Hannah prayed and said,
“My heart exults in the LORD;
My horn is exalted in the LORD,
My mouth speaks boldly against my enemies,
Because I rejoice in Your salvation.

There is an accuser of the saints who like to proclaim I am "arrogant", but that is not so!! I am bold because I know the Lord my God personally!! So boldly my mouth speaks against my enemies!! Just as I see my Father in heaven do!!

Mal 2: 1-3 “And now this commandment is for you, O priests. “If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,” says the LORD of hosts, “then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart. “Behold, I am going to rebuke your offspring, and I will spread refuse on your faces, the refuse of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it.

Was not Malachi bold when bring the message to listen which came from the Lord. So who confuses my boldly bringing the message to listen to the Lord with me being arrogant? It isn't an enemy of the Lord is it?

Ps 81:15 “Those who hate the LORD would pretend obedience to Him,
And their time of punishment would be forever.
I did not mean to imply you are arrogant. I have been conflating all those definitions and not given much through to it. When I am accused of being arrogant I wasn't sure if I should consider it a lie or sound judgement. Either way it is a lie or a vain affirmation.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do you, @Karl Peters. You are much older than me, and I have to take in the mental state of a person and perhaps the age and perhaps what you wanna say, and that is all fine, sir.

All of people on the internet need to consider the state of mind of another; and the age of another. Some people will need to say what they need to say, do what they need to do, but you can not let what people say affect you...

God can correct easily by the spirit - in saying "HEY YOU KNOW YOU WERE GOOBER TO THAT PERSON: DONT YOU THINK YOU SHOULD SAY YOUR SORRY AND PERHAPS GO ABOUT IT A DIFFERENT WAY THIS TIME; MY WAY (THE Holy Spirit of God's Way)

See ya bud and may you take care of yourself. As you know we only have one life to live.

God bless you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and friend of

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think you are just looking to far into it @Karl Peters.

I said there is good pride and bad pride.

I would define one as you can be proud of things you accomplish on your own without the need of others validating you. Also by giving yourself over to be proud of the accomplishments of others in which maybe your the dad and they need validation they need encourgament or whatever.

The other is being proud of yourself as though you are better than others; and you demean them in your mind and thoughts even in front of them…

Having confidence in God is good; givi g him credit as he helps you along the way is good; but having good pride is not bad; like bad pride that looks down the snout of ones nose to others.

God gave us these things didnt he; to have a mind/will/emotions?

The only good things that come from heaven those is and only by the spirit that is given by God; but here is the “morality” part of us and maybe your right but; anyway just wanted to address that small section of chatter.
Yes, there is good pride, I have seen it. Pride in a family member can be considered an expression of Love. The Father is proud of Jesus? "This is my son in whom I'm well pleased, listen to him.". Do you take pride in the accomplishments of someone else's child, I couldn't care less myself.

It isn't the same as confidence. As confidence is in regards to the future, and pride is about what has happened in the past.

Arrogance is a prognostication against confidence as being due to pride and therefore subject to failure.

Reactions: Nancy and Cassandra

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
pride is about what has happened in the past.
I think pride can also be about the future. James 4:13 comes to mind. Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”;

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: pride of men?
All I know is:

1Co 4:6 "And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and​
to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think above That Which
Is Written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another."​
+
2Co_10:12 "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves​
with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves,​
and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."​
Amen.

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not mean to imply you are arrogant. I have been conflating all those definitions and not given much through to it. When I am accused of being arrogant I wasn't sure if I should consider it a lie or sound judgement. Either way it is a lie or a vain affirmation.
What did the Lord speak to you?

He told me earlier that I am not arrogant, I am bold. It was He who told me:

Arrogance is an offspring of pride!!

So if you are accused of being arrogant or anything else for that matter - do you not take that thought to the Lord and hear from Him and then put your faith in Him?

This is what I am explaining!!

That if have pride I will lean on my own understanding and perhaps get offended - or we can turn to the Lord and listen to Him and believe what He says to us!!

Humility means you turn to the Lord, because you think He is smarter and wiser than you. Pride means you seek your own wisdom because you think you are the source of intelligence and wisdom!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there is good pride, I have seen it. Pride in a family member can be considered an expression of Love. The Father is proud of Jesus? "This is my son in whom I'm well pleased, listen to him.". Do you take pride in the accomplishments of someone else's child, I couldn't care less myself.

It isn't the same as confidence. As confidence is in regards to the future, and pride is about what has happened in the past.

Arrogance is a prognostication against confidence as being due to pride and therefore subject to failure.
AUH :)

I have been waiting for this to come up, and I am frankly surprised that it didn't get brought up sooner!!

The answer to you comment comes in understanding that we have words in the English language that while the same word, they have completely different meaning!!

For example: If I tell someone, "Wow you are soo cool!" Am I talking about their temperature or their style?

So when I am talking about "Pride" am I talking about how we think highly of ourselves or are we expressing a love for someone else who we care for? And even when we look at the verse provided, we can see that God did not use a word that is translated "pride" in our Bible.

I have been waiting for this type of comment, because the Lord has gone of this issue in the past with me, saying things like "It is fine to be happy with your son when He tries hard, but that is not the same thing as you thinking you are smarter than God."

So in case you could not figure it out, the thread and the use of pride in the Bible has to do with us thinking we are good and so that we don't need God. That is always wrong, because it always leads away from the Lord your God!!

Now back to the subject of "pride" in the Biblical sense: Wrangler asked:

Then you have improperly defined pride. Are you NOT proud to be a child of God?

That is back to the meaning of me being somehow greater that others because I am a child of God - and that is bad!!

Have we not read that through Him all things were created???

Now the Lord loves me and since I hear Him He tells me often how much He loves me, and He says it like "Karl, you can not even image the depths of the love that I have for you." Still, that does not make me proud to be a child of His, it makes me happy that He calls me His child and that He loves me. I mean, just because He loves me it doesn't mean He doesn't love others, and what did I do that was so great that He decided to love me, except perhaps that I like being around Him and listening to Him. And still even my doing that was set up by Him!! So I see no reason to be proud of that, or think greater of myself because He loves me and calls me "sons"!!!

In the same way; The Father saying that He is greatly pleased with His Son and telling us to listen to Him, is not the same thing as the Father having pride, meaning He thinks greater of Himself than He should!! The Father knows what He planned and He knows what is created. So where does pride figure in??? It doesn't! But being please with His creation does figure in but that is a different thing!!

So it is that we kept reading in Gen 1 the phrase "and God saw that it was good."

Gen 1:31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Reactions: lforrest

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: pride of men?
All I know is:

1Co 4:6 "And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and​
to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think above That Which
Is Written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another."​
+
2Co_10:12 "For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves​
with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves,​
and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise."​
Amen.
I kind of like it, but don't we need to know more??

Don't we actually need to know Jesus Christ and listen to Him?

Isn't that what's written - that we need to listen to Jesus Christ?????

So then a spirit of pride tells you to go beyond listening to Jesus Christ to leaning on your own understanding!!

Prov Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.