The Provocation.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am intrigued by this article, found on the internet and published in another forum.
I have to admit to not having given much thought to the relevance of 'The Provocation' to my own walk of faith.

"Camped in the hot, waterless wilderness of southern Palestine, the Israelites challenged Moses, saying, “Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst?” (Exodus 17:3). This complaint might have been understandable had these people never seen the hand of God in their lives, but this incident occurred after the miraculous Passover, after their passage through the Red Sea dry shod, and after the outpouring of manna and quail from heaven. In response to the Israelites’ faithlessness, an exasperated Moses cried out to the Lord, “What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me” (Exodus 17:4). The Lord answered: “Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. And he called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah” (Exodus 17:6–7).

Psalm 95 provides the linguistic link that identifies this incident as the Provocation: “To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your heart, as in the provocation [Hebrew meribah], and as in the day of temptation [Hebrew massah] in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work. Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways: Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest” (Psalm 95:7–11 see also Hebrews 3:8–11, 15).

The event at Meribah is the Provocation mentioned throughout the Bible. In that incident, the Lord tested the faith of the children of Israel and their willingness to accept His love and grace. Grace is the Lord’s divine enabling power, given to humankind to help them with all the challenges of their lives; grace ultimately empowers them to lay hold on heaven itself. But the Israelites’ response to the Lord’s abundant generosity illustrates a religious paradox: God offers His children grace, but the children will not seek it; God offers His children heaven, but the children will not enter in."

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find myself in Hebrews Chapter 3 (Hebrews is a great favourite of mine)
Here's a Paraphrase:

"Consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. But this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who built the house has more honour than the house itself. For every house is built by some man; but he that built all things is God.

Moses was faithful in all his house, as a servant, but Christ was faithful over his own house as a son; (whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end). As the Holy Ghost says, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and swore in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my rest
Take heed therefore, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. For we are made partakers of Christ,
if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end.

With whom was he grieved forty years? Was it not with them that had sinned? And to whom, except them that did not believe, swore he that they should not enter his rest?"

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good lesson.

I think this points to the short-sighteness and impatience of men.

As the events reveal...God leads and directs, and the follower is ALL pleased... Momentarily...

People quickly move past, forget about, are Thankless...and quickly Return to whinning, complaining, blaming, provoking demands or consequences if demands are not met.

As it were then, the same can be noticed today...with a twist...

Today it is society wise Taught and Encouraged...all are Entitled to demand and Receive WITHOUT gratitude what they have not earned or deserved.

Paperless society? Ha! A Thankless society!

In all our ways, Remember Our Lord IS our provider. Thanks be to God. He is the All-knowing of What is good for us and When.

Glory to God,
Taken

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find myself in Hebrews Chapter 3 (Hebrews is a great favourite of mine)
Here's a Paraphrase:

"Consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus; who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house. But this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who built the house has more honour than the house itself. For every house is built by some man; but he that built all things is God.

Moses was faithful in all his house, as a servant, but Christ was faithful over his own house as a son; (whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end). As the Holy Ghost says, To day if you will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and swore in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my rest
Take heed therefore, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. For we are made partakers of Christ,
if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end.

With whom was he grieved forty years? Was it not with them that had sinned? And to whom, except them that did not believe, swore he that they should not enter his rest?"
It’s interesting to me that the rock was smote in the wilderness and in the New Testament the shepherd is smote.

In the wilderness water flows in the New Testament blood and water.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting to me

Agree.

that the rock was smote in the wilderness and in the New Testament the shepherd is smote.

OT - Voice leading and directing.
OT - men wanted to hear And SEE.
NT - Shepherd searching for flock...good news- they can now hear AND see.

The Director? The Creator AND Maker...
The Rock and the Shepherd are One.

John 10: [30] I and my Father are one.

In the wilderness water flows in the New Testament blood and water.

Water temporarily Washes...requires repeating.

Pure Blood given Once, received Once is Acceptabely sufficient for God to account the recipient Cleansed.

What a Merciful, Gracious, Kind and Loving Lord God Almighty.

Praise and Glory to God,
Taken