The Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Lord said we are to rest on the sabbath.

People argue on what day the sabbath is. I think some are missing the point. I think the point is this: We need a day of rest each week.

[8] "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
[9] Six days you shall labor, and do all your work;
[10] but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates;
[11] for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11 RSV
If what you say is true then likewise, there must be a temple in Jerusalem where the lamp should be caused to burn continuously, and anyone who serves you in your house must be your servant forever if they choose not to leave your service.

"And the LORD said to him, I have heard your prayer and your cry which you have made before Me. I have made this house which you have built holy, to put My name there forever (ôlâm). And My eyes and My heart shall be there all the days." (1 Kings 9:3);

"And you shall command the sons of Israel that they bring you pure olive oil beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn continuously in the tabernacle of the congregation, outside the veil which is before the testimony. Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD. It shall be a statute forever (ôlâm) to their generations on behalf of the sons of Israel." (Exodus 27:20-21).
"Therefore the sons of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for an everlasting (‛ôlâm) covenant.
It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever (‛ôlâm). For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.
And He gave to Moses, when He had made an end of speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God." (Exodus 31:16-18).

"If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you and serves you six years, then in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you.
And if he says to you, I will not go away from you, because he loves you and your house, because it has been good for him with you;
then you shall take an awl and put it through his ear to the door, and he shall be your servant forever (ôlâm). And also to your slave-girl you shall do so." (Deuteronomy 14:12, 16 & 17).

The word ‛ôlâm in all the places it is found is closely related to the Greek word aeon (an Age of time), and because it denotes either a seemingly endless period of time (or an Age, the end of which was not known when the words were written), or a literally endless period of time, there are places in the Old Testament where ‛ôlâm does NOT mean "forever and ever", for example, taking us backwards in time from a certain point in time:
"And David and his men went up and invaded the Geshurites, and the Gezrites, and the Amalekites. For they were the inhabitants of the land from of old (‛ôlâm), as you come into Shur, even into the land of Egypt." (1 Samuel 27:8);

"And Joshua said to all the people, So says the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers lived of old (‛ôlâm) beyond the River, Terah the father of Abraham, and the father of Nahor, and they served other gods." (Joshua 24:2);

"Remember the days of old (‛ôlâm); consider the years of many generations. Ask your father, and he will show you; your elders, and they will tell you." (Deuteronomy 32:7).

‛ôlâm can also mean "forever and ever" (in perpetuity), for example in verses such as Proverbs 8:22-23; Genesis 21:33; Deuteronomy 32:40.

"The tablets of stone" are what is known as the Law. As reflected in the word ‛ôlâm, the end of the period spoken of in Exodus 3:16 was not known when the commandment was given, and the law and commandments would have been "forever in perpetuity" if there was no change in the priesthood:

"For the priesthood being changed, there is of necessity a change made in the law also."
(Hebrews 7:12).

"Why then the Law? It was added because of transgressions, until the Seed should come to those to whom it had been promised, being ordained through angels in the Mediator's hand." (Galatians 3:19).

The covenant based on obedience to the law and commandments was broken by the people repeatedly, and because of sin, no human would ever have been capable of keeping the covenant.

"For no one is declared righteous before him by the works of the law (good works produced by obedience to the law), for through the law comes the knowledge of sin." -- Romans 3:19-20

1. What's the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians.5:22-25)?

2. How does Jesus say the fruit of the Spirit becomes evident in those who have faith in Him (John 15:4-5)?

Does Jesus say that the fruit of the Spirit will become evident:

(a) Through obeying the law, which brings a curse upon anyone who fails to obey it? or

(b) Through remaining in the Vine, who is Christ, through the obedience of faith in Him (John 15:4-5)?

3. Does the fruit of the Spirit fulfill the law (Hebrew: torah) (Galatians.5:22-25)?

4. Why is the law the shadow of the fruit of the Spirit (Colossians 2:17), but not the fruit itself?

5. Is obedience to the New Covenant based on faith in Christ, or on obedience to the law, which brings a curse upon all who fail to obey it? (John 15:4-5)

6. Upon which covenant is obedience to the law based? Is obedience to the law based on:

(i) The covenant of law, which brings a curse upon all people for their disobedience to the law? or

(ii) The New Covenant in Christ's blood, shed for the forgiveness of sins, which is the transgression of the law?

7. Which of the two covenants have become old, and ready to vanish away (Hebrews 8:13)?

8. Is the old covenant that was ready to vanish away based on obedience to the law (Exodus 24:7-8), or on obedience through faith in Christ?

9. So should we seek to please God through obedience to Christ (faith in Christ and walking after the Spirit of Christ producing the fruit of the Spirit), or through obedience to the law, which brings a curse?

The law and commandments were a shadow of the fruit of the Spirit of God, not the fruit itself.
ONE NEW EVERLASTING COMMANDMENT
FOR THE ONE NEW EVERLASTING COVENANT

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another." John 13:34

"And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment." 1 John 3:23

"Then they said to Him, What shall we do that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent." John 6:28-29

Those who want to keep one part of Old Covenant law must keep it all, and live by the law, i.e obtain eternal life through their obedience to the law. If they do so they have fallen from grace.​

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If what you say is true then likewise, there must be a temple in Jerusalem where the lamp should be caused to burn continuously, and anyone who serves you in your house must be your servant forever if they choose not to leave your service.

"And the LORD said to him, I have heard your prayer and your cry which you have made before Me. I have made this house which you have built holy, to put My name there forever (ôlâm). And My eyes and My heart shall be there all the days." (1 Kings 9:3);

"And you shall command the sons of Israel that they bring you pure olive oil beaten for the light, to cause the lamp to burn continuously in the tabernacle of the congregation, outside the veil which is before the testimony. Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD. It shall be a statute forever (ôlâm) to their generations on behalf of the sons of Israel." (Exodus 27:20-21).
"Therefore the sons of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for an everlasting (‛ôlâm) covenant.
It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever (‛ôlâm). For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.
And He gave to Moses, when He had made an end of speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written by the finger of God." (Exodus 31:16-18).

"If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you and serves you six years, then in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you.
And if he says to you, I will not go away from you, because he loves you and your house, because it has been good for him with you;
then you shall take an awl and put it through his ear to the door, and he shall be your servant forever (ôlâm). And also to your slave-girl you shall do so." (Deuteronomy 14:12, 16 & 17).

The word ‛ôlâm in all the places it is found is closely related to the Greek word aeon (an Age of time), and because it denotes either a seemingly endless period of time (or an Age, the end of which was not known when the words were written), or a literally endless period of time, there are places in the Old Testament where ‛ôlâm does NOT mean "forever and ever", for example, taking us backwards in time from a certain point in time:
"And David and his men went up and invaded the Geshurites, and the Gezrites, and the Amalekites. For they were the inhabitants of the land from of old (‛ôlâm), as you come into Shur, even into the land of Egypt." (1 Samuel 27:8);

"And Joshua said to all the people, So says the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers lived of old (‛ôlâm) beyond the River, Terah the father of Abraham, and the father of Nahor, and they served other gods." (Joshua 24:2);

"Remember the days of old (‛ôlâm); consider the years of many generations. Ask your father, and he will show you; your elders, and they will tell you." (Deuteronomy 32:7).

‛ôlâm can also mean "forever and ever" (in perpetuity), for example in verses such as Proverbs 8:22-23; Genesis 21:33; Deuteronomy 32:40.

"The tablets of stone" are what is known as the Law. As reflected in the word ‛ôlâm, the end of the period spoken of in Exodus 3:16 was not known when the commandment was given, and the law and commandments would have been "forever in perpetuity" if there was no change in the priesthood:

"For the priesthood being changed, there is of necessity a change made in the law also."
(Hebrews 7:12).

"Why then the Law? It was added because of transgressions, until the Seed should come to those to whom it had been promised, being ordained through angels in the Mediator's hand." (Galatians 3:19).

The covenant based on obedience to the law and commandments was broken by the people repeatedly, and because of sin, no human would ever have been capable of keeping the covenant.

"For no one is declared righteous before him by the works of the law (good works produced by obedience to the law), for through the law comes the knowledge of sin." -- Romans 3:19-20

1. What's the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians.5:22-25)?

2. How does Jesus say the fruit of the Spirit becomes evident in those who have faith in Him (John 15:4-5)?

Does Jesus say that the fruit of the Spirit will become evident:

(a) Through obeying the law, which brings a curse upon anyone who fails to obey it? or

(b) Through remaining in the Vine, who is Christ, through the obedience of faith in Him (John 15:4-5)?

3. Does the fruit of the Spirit fulfill the law (Hebrew: torah) (Galatians.5:22-25)?

4. Why is the law the shadow of the fruit of the Spirit (Colossians 2:17), but not the fruit itself?

5. Is obedience to the New Covenant based on faith in Christ, or on obedience to the law, which brings a curse upon all who fail to obey it? (John 15:4-5)

6. Upon which covenant is obedience to the law based? Is obedience to the law based on:

(i) The covenant of law, which brings a curse upon all people for their disobedience to the law? or

(ii) The New Covenant in Christ's blood, shed for the forgiveness of sins, which is the transgression of the law?

7. Which of the two covenants have become old, and ready to vanish away (Hebrews 8:13)?

8. Is the old covenant that was ready to vanish away based on obedience to the law (Exodus 24:7-8), or on obedience through faith in Christ?

9. So should we seek to please God through obedience to Christ (faith in Christ and walking after the Spirit of Christ producing the fruit of the Spirit), or through obedience to the law, which brings a curse?

The law and commandments were a shadow of the fruit of the Spirit of God, not the fruit itself.
ONE NEW EVERLASTING COMMANDMENT
FOR THE ONE NEW EVERLASTING COVENANT

"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another." John 13:34

"And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment." 1 John 3:23

"Then they said to Him, What shall we do that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent." John 6:28-29

Those who want to keep one part of Old Covenant law must keep it all, and live by the law, i.e obtain eternal life through their obedience to the law. If they do so they have fallen from grace.​
I don't follow your reasoning.

Reddsta

Jul 5, 2023
SC Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not really that difficult…is it?

In regard to the “Sabbath” the Lord Himself was busted by the Pharisee’s a few times for not observing it to their liking…right? One time when His disciples were picking grain in a field the Pharisee’s became uptight about it…the Lord simply reminded them of when David and his men were hungry they went into the temple and ate the “Bread of Show?” Type and shadow...

Additionally He included that the “temple Priests” broke the Sabbath and are innocent. So David, the priests, the Lord Yahshua, and the disciples all broke the Sabbath…at least in the eyes of the religious leaders of their day…and in the eyes of the Lord it was “legal and accepted”…because the Lord Himself said there was no foul…and He is the Lord of the Sabbath? This was in regard to the Law in Israel…before the “Lamb of God” was sacrificed…meaning that they are still under the Law…technically.

Basically we should be able to see that “Priests” have a “different responsibility” to the Sabbath than those who are not “Priests.” Yahshua told the Pharisee’s that…“The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

The word for Sabbath there is the Greek word “sabbaton” specifying the “seventh day of the week.” In Israel…under the Law that day was set aside…with exceptions for the “Priests”…and as with all of the “natural” symbology of ancient Israel…the Sabbath day was a “template or type” of day that would soon be here…now that the Messiah is here…this is referring to the actual “rest” itself…not simply the “day”…which “rest” was made for “man.”

"So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.” Standing there as the one who “fulfills all the Law and Prophets”…the “Eternal Royal Priest” Himself…He simply reveals that “He is the Sabbath rest” for man. Things change when God’s perfect Law has been kept, fulfilled and perfected in a man…Christ Yahshua…which man is the Fathers only begotten Son. All of those mentioned who “broke the Sabbath” did so as the Priests of God. A profoundly prophetic statement of the “rest” that is to come via the resurrected Christ.

Paul in Hebrews 4 says…”Therefore, let us fear if, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you may seem to have come short of it.” What is that “rest” but the 7th day of creation which is where we now find our God? He goes on to say…”For we who have believed enter that rest”…of course…those who believe are a “Kingdom of priests.”

Paul recounts how God had “said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS”…our God is in the seventh day of “rest” at this time.

For those who are believers…those who are “in Christ”…”have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God”…and are…by extension “at rest” with God in His “seventh day Sabbath.” In verse 9 of Hebrews 4…Paul addresses the “Sabbath” for the “Body of Christ”…”So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.”

The Law having been “fulfilled” in Christ Yahshua…allows all those who are “in Christ” who is “in God” to exist in their life by living out their days on the earth while “at rest” with “God.” Paul goes on to confirm this in verse 10 of Hebrews 4…

“For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.” This is huge…there is so much here…but for now…understand this…on this side of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon humanity…those who have received Him…have entered “His rest” and as such they are “at rest” also. This is precisely why Yahshua is the Lord of the Sabbath…because He…the Head…and His Body…are “at rest” in the seventh day of Sabbath with God the Father.

Do not doubt this…because Paul further admonishes us…to be “diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.” “Falling” as Israel did in the wilderness via their rebellion and disobedience…God the Father said, "AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST"…no rest…no Sabbath for Israel.

Either you are in the “Sabbath rest in Christ” or you are not…just look at your life…your existence…day to day…are you striving to provide and protect for yourself? Are you making sure that you do all…everything…you can possibly do to exist? That friends…is not a place of…”Sabbath rest” in God the Father…that is “toiling by the sweat of your brow”…exactly as all the “6-men” do. 6th day being the day man was created...6 is the number of man.

In that state…one has left the 7th day of rest in their Father to go back to the 6th day of toil and sweat…the fruit of your own labor. If that is you and you are a "son of God"...you need to stop asking the Lord to bless your "son of man" existence.

Redd...:)

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth oftentimes, to many seems stranger then fiction. Such is the case when it comes, to the observance of God’s 7th Day Sabbath. Each Sunday millions of people attend church services for the purpose of worshiping the Lord. This is second nature to most requiring no thought. They are simply following the tradition that has been set forth by man. Many believe that New Testament Christians worshiped on Sunday the 1st day of the week, and that the 7th day Sabbath is a Jewish institution, which started with Moses.

People reply on their pastors for guidance and think that they like the early theologians of the Roman Catholic Church are relying on some biblical scripture for justification of observing Sunday as Gods Holy Day. These assumptions cannot be further from the truth.

The Sabbath did not start with Moses; understand that the Sabbath day is intended to be observe by all nation of people. Its origin goes back to the creation of the world and of mankind.

(Genesis 2:1) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The above scriptures clearly show that God blessed, sanctified and made Holy the 7th Day at the beginning of the world. God chose to cease from His labor not because He was tired. He chose to cease and rest because he was finished with His creation. The Lord had completed the heavens and the earth along with the creation of man. This day represent a future day of rest, after the Great tribulation period. This day is not alike any other day, it's set apart.

Now any Christian in their right mind wouldn’t dare say that it’s okay to steal, kill or commit adultery or break any of the other seven commandments. But when it comes to the fourth commandment, people avoid it like a plague! They are either uninformed about which day is the Sabbath day of the God of the Bible or they are just following the tradition of religion that was passed down through the family or maybe they have let some preacher give them other excuses for ignoring God’s true day of worship. There was not a Jew, Catholic, Baptist, or Seventh Day Adventist; in fact, there was not a Christian when He constituted the Sabbath Day!

Let’s take a look and see what Jesus did when he came in the flesh, And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. (Luke 4:14-16)

Jesus made it clear that the seventh day was made for mankind. (Mark 2:27-28) (v.27) And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath: Do we understand that, the Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath. (v.28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath. The Son of man (Jesus) is the Lord God of the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday).

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please stop shouting. This is the third time this has been posted on three different threads. Where is your source. You could actually make it smaller so it doesn't look so shouty. Is it posted any other place?

What? Only three threads, how about many threads that I have lost count of.