The Six Temptations of Christ..... *

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(johnchao;58537)
Kriss, The Bible says: Trust in the LORD with All your heart, and do not lean on your own Understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your way...(Pr3:5-). Paul did not explain the spiritual things in words taught by human wisdom, but in words taught by the Spirit. So, he interpreted the spiritual things in spiritual words (1Co2:12-13). Let's imitate him as he did Christ (1Co11:1). Remember not to be taken captive by human philosophy, humman tradition, and common sense. Anything that does not come from Christ will take us captive if we lay it to heart or spread them (Col2:8).Blessings!John
So what are you saying here, you are not inferring that Scripture is irrelevant ???????? what "human philosophy, humman tradition, and common sense" are you refering to?

johnchao

Jun 27, 2007
(tomwebster;58549)
So what are you saying here, you are not inferring that Scripture is irrelevant ???????? what "human philosophy, humman tradition, and common sense" are you refering to?
Tom,If anyone is inferring that Scripture is irrelevant, I will ignore him!!!!!!!Jesus said, heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away (Mt24:34-35). This Bible is what Christ spoke (1Pe1:10-12). Nothing can be added to or taken away from it (Rev22:18-19). Adding to the word of YAHWEH is a lie before YAHWEH (Ps30:5-6). These are deceived by the lying spirit, and disasters are decreed to be upon them (1Ki22:19-23). To interpret the Scripture with the word of men, it is a lie although it seems right, persuasive or reasonable to men. The right of even Job's own is a lie before YAHWEH (Job34:5-6). Therefore, do not interpret the Scripture with men's own will or the word of men (2P1:20).Anything that does not come from Christ is human philosophy, tradition, common sense and empty deceit (Co2:8). Christ is the word of GOD (Co1:25-27).As a "global moderator" of this site, tom, please be careful with what you have written here. You are not representing yourself only, but this website. Blessings!John

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(johnchao;58605)
Tom,If anyone is inferring that Scripture is irrelevant, I will ignore him!!!!!!!Jesus said, heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away (Mt24:34-35). This Bible is what Christ spoke (1Pe1:10-12). Nothing can be added to or taken away from it (Rev22:18-19). Adding to the word of YAHWEH is a lie before YAHWEH (Ps30:5-6). These are deceived by the lying spirit, and disasters are decreed to be upon them (1Ki22:19-23). To interpret the Scripture with the word of men, it is a lie although it seems right, persuasive or reasonable to men. The right of even Job's own is a lie before YAHWEH (Job34:5-6). Therefore, do not interpret the Scripture with men's own will or the word of men (2P1:20).Anything that does not come from Christ is human philosophy, tradition, common sense and empty deceit (Co2:8). Christ is the word of GOD (Co1:25-27).As a "global moderator" of this site, tom, please be careful with what you have written here. You are not representing yourself only, but this website. Blessings!John
Scripture is not irrelevant. And if you read what I posted you will see that I did not say it was irrelevent. Most of the Scripture you use is taken totally out of context.
I was asking YOU a question.
As a "global moderator" of this site, tom, please be careful with what you have written here. You are not representing yourself only, but this website.
And I certainly don't need YOU to tell ME my job!

johnchao

Jun 27, 2007
(tomwebster;58611)
...And I certainly don't need YOU to tell ME my job!
Do not be arrogant, Tom! Our life is but a breath (Job7:7, Isa2:22)! This breath is YAHWEH (Gen2:7). When YAHWEH takes back His spirit and breath, all men die and all flesh return to dust (Job34:12-15). I know you are doing this job here for the name of Jesus. The name of Jesus is the word of GOD (Rev19:13). That's why I am also here to edify each other by the word of grace (Ac20:31-32). Please do not get offended!Blessings!John

johnchao

Jun 27, 2007
(tomwebster;58611)
Scripture is not irrelevant. And if you read what I posted you will see that I did not say it was irrelevent. Most of the Scripture you use is taken totally out of context.
From the eye of head, they seem to be taken out of context, for men tend to study the Scripture and trace back to the historical background. It's because they have ignored the word from the mouth of GOD. But Jesus said to Satan: man lives not by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of GOD. What does the word from the mouth of GOD mean in the Bible? While the flesh of Jesus was on earth, he was speaking in the Holy Spirit (Lk10:21), and it was the Father who commanded him what to speak and what to say (Jn12:47-50), for the Father who lived in him was doing His own work (Jn14:10). So, the word from the mouth of Jesus was the word from the mouth of GOD. If it is the word from His mouth, it is spirit and life (Jn6:62-63). The LORD commanded peter what to say (Ac10:33), and the Holy Spirit came upon those who were hearing the word (Ac10:42-44). Paul was also speaking in the Holy Spirit (Ac13:9), and what he spoke was the word of GOD (Ac13:44-45), that is, the word from the mouth of GOD, and he wrote the Spirit of the living GOD on tablets of believers' hearts (2Co3:3).Then how to tell today it is the Holy Spirit or the Lord speaking AS all speakers and believers have a Bible in hand? The Bible has made it clear: the Lord speaks through an alien tongue and a foreign lip, a little here and a little there, precept upon precept, command upon command, and explains the message of the Bible (Isa28:9-13). Why a little here and a little there? Because the scroll of the Lord has nothing missing (Isa34:16-17), and nothing can added to or taken away from the book (Rev22:18-19). All scripture is inspired by GOD, and, of course, relevant all through. The tunic of Jesus was woven in piece from top to bottom (Jn19:23-24). What the prophets spoke in the Spirit of Christ (1Pe1:10-12) was the word (Rom10:17), and what Jesus spoke on earth was also the word fo GOD (Lk5:1, Jn12:47-48). What his disciples spoke was also the word after the Pentecostal. So, the words of the book were the LORD GOD (2Ch34:21, 2Ki22:13). So, the whole Bible is relevant, and when these relevant scriptures are put together today, a complete picuture of a Biblical message is presented to us, speaking to us today, and showing us the way for today and tomorrow, no longer a historical thing or story thing. By the way, as we read it aloud to ourselves, the word on our lips, the word is also spirit and life!Blessings!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(waquinas;58413)
Do we also have 2 births, 4 crucifixions and 4 resurrections of Jesus too as none of those are identical either?
what does this have to do with the subject if you cant see what is being said thats fine but your remarks are of no use to anyone

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
well, the subject is that because the two views of a single event, the temptation of Christ by Satan, are different that it must be two different events. The question should be, is that only reasonable explanation of why we have two versions? I say no.The assumption is that these temptation stories are more than two different views of a single event, that it must be two people describing two different events SIMPLY BECAUSE the two depictions of events as described are different. Am just pointing out that the same logic could be applied to all these other events as we have in the Gospels from 2-4 different views of the same events in all these cases and none of them match exactly. The fact that the views are different does not automatically mean we must conclude the events are different. I do agree there is value and knowledge to be gained in contrasting/comparing the different views as to why and what the meaning of the differences might be, but to conclude the writers are describing two different events goes beyond contrasting/comparing for knowledge.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
So all we have here is two different opinions neither holding more truth than the other However not being the author of confusion nor of two different minds the only proof of which is right or wrong is found in the word not the opinion of the human mind and there fore that requires a close examination of every single word in the afore mentioned verse's Which leads one to conclude 1.either God paid no attention to the little details 2. gave one of the apostels close but not the same information3. God used some misleading language here for the deeper student to be mislead Or he 1. Paid utmost attention to the slightest detail of the word2.gave the apostels the exact message he intended them to write3. He said exactly what he intended to for the deeper student that was paying attentionThe deeper student would weigh all out and also be aware of the fact that in Biblical numericsthat the number 6 is associated with Satan, that this causes no other contradictions in scriptures He Would come to a conclusion by faith that it is not by accident these differences appear in the order of increases in each example and that key words appear where they would be expected to occur that it make complete and logical sense.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
If those were the only choices then perhaps you would be making a point. If the first "opinion" was meant to represent my view of "inspiration" and why these two versions of the same event might be different from each other, then you do not understand my position at all. In my view there is nothing wrong with God inspiring four writers to write about Jesus life on earth and have those writers cover some of the same events in varying and different detail. And just as you, we can say the message God intended to be conveyed is there even where the accounts differ. The differences do not make the Bible wrong or un-inspired or not God's Word.If those Gospels were meant to be mirror images of one another then am not sure why we should need four copies. Inspiration has never meant God wrote it for them or even that He held/moved their hand. (at least not until the last few hundred years in a few very small circles).

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;59035)
So all we have here is two different opinions neither holding more truth than the other However not being the author of confusion nor of two different minds the only proof of which is right or wrong is found in the word not the opinion of the human mind and there fore that requires a close examination of every single word in the afore mentioned verse's Which leads one to conclude 1.either God paid no attention to the little details 2. gave one of the apostels close but not the same information3. God used some misleading language here for the deeper student to be mislead Or he 1. Paid utmost attention to the slightest detail of the word2.gave the apostels the exact message he intended them to write3. He said exactly what he intended to for the deeper student that was paying attentionThe deeper student would weigh all out and also be aware of the fact that in Biblical numericsthat the number 6 is associated with Satan, that this causes no other contradictions in scriptures He Would come to a conclusion by faith that it is not by accident these differences appear in the order of increases in each example and that key words appear where they would be expected to occur that it make complete and logical sense.
The Or He opinion is the correct one... Which is statement B...which is highlighted. I would say the bible is NOT the Word of God, if God could careless about details whether they are little or big. But I say that He truly cares for a reason and that is... He cares about the soul condition...the heart.If God careless about the smallest detail, I say, He doesn't work hard enough... But we know He work every way to bring us that little details. In which the Bible is the living book, which contains and is the Word of God...Although, we know Christ is not a book.
wink.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(waquinas;59037)
If those were the only choices then perhaps you would be making a point. If the first "opinion" was meant to represent my view of "inspiration" and why these two versions of the same event might be different from each other, then you do not understand my position at all. In my view there is nothing wrong with God inspiring four writers to write about Jesus life on earth and have those writers cover some of the same events in varying and different detail. And just as you, we can say the message God intended to be conveyed is there even where the accounts differ. The differences do not make the Bible wrong or un-inspired or not God's Word.If those Gospels were meant to be mirror images of one another then am not sure why we should need four copies. Inspiration has never meant God wrote it for them or even that He held/moved their hand. (at least not until the last few hundred years in a few very small circles).
It was meant to show the difference between just reading the Word and studyingthe word Anyone can read the word. But that is only the begining to understaning Gods word there are many things the reader misses. Thats often called the milk and the meat God says get to the meat. The milk is a general understanding of whats being said the meat is the deeper study and understanding.And yes those are the only two ways it can be its either the detailed Word of God or its not. To assume just because two/four or more books cover many of the same events that they are all just retelling of the same story is not true each one has its own differnce that tells us a little more of the story or gives us a new or missing detail God does everything for a reason he could of just had it written once and the others just copy it and atest it was true. Now in this case it doesnt change ones core belief whether there 3 or 6 temptations but in many instances it can. However the average general scripture reader can not state with 100% cetainty that is says there are absoluty only 3 it is an assumption thats the differnce in Studying the scriptures as Gods absoulute authority, and just reading them.It doesnt mean just reading it is wrong at all. But do not think it is the only way and that God has nothing futher to teach us the deeper student. The Bible is called the Living word of God because it teaches more and more the deeper one looks whether one choose to see it or not is a matter of choice and the Wisdom one is given by God.Whats wrong is when an average reader thinks thats all that is said in any given verse there is almost always a general meaning and deeper meanings.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Again, have never said there is nothing to be gained from deep study or comparing the differences. My only problem is with the assumption that these occurances must be two events only because there are differences in the accounts. Am fine with studying and comparing the differences.By the way Mark mentions the temptation only in passing (and that is not plural). On e would think that if these were two events that Mark would have said 'temptations".

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
They arent two events they are One the lesson here is in the tempting of Christ not the number of tests However a deeper study and common sense could lead one to see that Satan after making the first offer came back with a second uping the anti.. this could have been within minutes ... It does not change the message of the Temptation but infact enhances it