The Threefold Secret of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago early in my Christian life I read a classic book called The Threefold Secret of the Holy Spirit. It was written by James McConkey. The copy I have was published by Moody Press.

This book had a big impact on me in my Christian walk.

Basically he wrote that the following is key to having a Christian life led by the Spirit:

1. Faith with repentance.
2. Faith with surrender. (I like to say being yielded to Christ; that is, walking with Him in daily life.)
3. And finally, always having Christian love towards others.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
having Christian love towards others.

If someone was believing things that were in opposition to the Lord (sin), would it be walking in love for someone to point this out to them?

Or, would love just let them continue in their error and not care that they are headed for a dark place they won't be able to recover from?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago early in my Christian life I read a classic book called The Threefold Secret of the Holy Spirit. It was written by James McConkey. The copy I have was published by Moody Press.

This book had a big impact on me in my Christian walk.

Basically he wrote that the following is key to having a Christian life led by the Spirit:

1. Faith with repentance.
2. Faith with surrender. (I like to say being yielded to Christ; that is, walking with Him in daily life.)
3. And finally, always having Christian love towards others.
This is nice and partially true but not specific enough, what I have learned is that if you want to have the spirit in your life you must do things that invite the spirit into your life:

Praying
Reading the Scriptures
Attending Church
Helping the less fortunate
Obeying the commandments
Testifying of Christ
etc.

Reactions: Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone was believing things that were in opposition to the Lord (sin), would it be walking in love for someone to point this out to them?

Or, would love just let them continue in their error and not care that they are headed for a dark place they won't be able to recover from?

I believe according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, we should exhort or admonish another Christian if they are walking contrary to God's Word. We can also counsel unbelievers, speaking the truth in love.

1Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Galatians 6:1

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Nancy

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe according to the leading of the Holy Spirit, we should exhort or admonish another Christian if they are walking contrary to God's Word. We can also counsel unbelievers, speaking the truth in love.

1Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Galatians 6:1

Yes, and this involves correction.... and it frequently makes people mad

Then everyone claims the one trying to correct the wayward is not walking in love

Which is usually when one quits trying to correct and let's them go on their way since there's only so much one can say to help another... if they don't want to hear it, them move on and try to help someone else.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and this involves correction.... and it frequently makes people mad

Then everyone claims the one trying to correct the wayward is not walking in love

Which is usually when one quits trying to correct and let's them go on their way since there's only so much one can say to help another... if they don't want to hear it, them move on and try to help someone else.
I totally agree with all of your points.

I think when godly exhortation is not received well, that there is often a spirit of pride operating.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And sometimes it's people being lazy... some preacher they like says something is a certain way and people don't bother to dig in to God's Word to see if it's true or not.

In the US, many treat Christianity as a spectator sport where they go to a church building every once in a while to listen to a duet, hear a sermonette, then go outside and smoke a cigarette.... you know, go see what kinda show the cats up front gonna put on this week!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree with all of your points.

I think when godly exhortation is not received well, that there is often a spirit of pride operating.
Amen! And I agree with all you have said, as well as @Big Boy Johnson.
Especially the pride of some who will not be corrected in love. I have dealt with this pride many times. The one who does the correcting, as BBJ said, should kick the sand off their feet and keep on going, Jesus never tried to "talk anyone into" Truth. He simply gave the message and continued on, either we believe or we do not.

• Love
Reactions: Debp and L.A.M.B.