The Thyatirean (Catholic) Age

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Referring to my study on the seven church ages...

My Take on the Seven Churches

The Thyatirean was the fourth one and began when Charlemange was crowned emperor of the Holy Roman empire in 800 AD.

And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; [sup][/sup]I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. - Revelation 2:18, 19

1. First of all the Roman Catholic church was not all bad. There were monks, nuns, and priests who done good service to the kingdom of God.

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. [sup][/sup]And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
-Revelation 2:20, 21

2. Fornication -Our God is a jealous God! Therefore all prayers should be directed to the Father in Jesus name! There is no profit in praying to the saints or the Holy Mother! They will not be heard! They did not die on the cross or do anything worthy to atone for your sins!
3. The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate, in which the Catholic church in its time was ruthless.

Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. [sup][/sup]And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
- Revelation 2:22, 23

4. Adulterous affairs I believe brought on the black death of 1348! In which case many Europeans blamed the Jews! The pope of the time of the plague was Clement IV, who was devoted to lavish living, and the treasury which he inherited made that lifestyle possible. Upon election as pope he exclaimed as he looked forward to a reign of regal self-indulgence, "My predecessors did not know how to be pope". He claimed to have "lived as a sinner among sinners", in his own words. Petrarch added that Clement VI occasionally rode around the city "...not in the midst of a marvelling crowd, but to insults and sneers ... he is the head of pompous processions, mounted on a white horse, feigning holiness. Before him goes his staff dressed in bright attire, making gestures to attract attention, trumpets sounding and banners fluttering in their hands." Petrarch speaks of the inordinate amount of time and effort Clement VI spent preparing for his parades, and "on his horse he was in constant fear lest the wind should disarrange his perfumed garb".

But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. - Revelation 2:24

5. Referring to the works of Dante Alighieri

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. - Revelation 2:29

6. Here is a list of some of the popes of the time who were far from pious!

Far from perfect popes

Sexually Active Popes

But I would have you know, that the
head of every man is Christ; - 1 Corinthians 11:3

Now if one feels the calling inside the Catholic church I have no problem with that. But... The church is flesh and blood and very capable of going in the wrong direction as the rest of us! It is important to keep the high priest Jesus Christ foremost front and center in ones life!

Old Man

Apr 28, 2011
Steubenville, OH
stpaulcenter.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, I never heard that the seven Churches to whom John wrote in the last half of the first century were anything but churches he founded in Asia Minor (modern Turkey) where he ministered before he was exiled. As for evil popes...yawn. Which of the ten commandments have popes violated in every age? All of them. Even the current pope is not innocent. The last pope, John Paul II, whom the Church is beatifying tomorrow, was also a sinner. No big surprise here.

The real surprise is that all 265 popes put together have not been able to destroy the church. It's still going strong. 2000 years. No human institution has ever lasted that long. Especially one with so much sin, politics, intrigue, scandal, murder, fornication and all the rest. Why hasn't it collapsed under its own filthy weight?