The Top 10 DEADLIEST Signs Of Self-Righteous Christians, Part 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from Part 1

Sign no. 6: Self-righteous people list their good works

Have you ever noticed how hard it is for us to forget the good things we have done to other people? Every time we do something good, we have this little notepad in our brain where we list all our good deeds. Afterward, we add them all up and show ourselves and others how righteous we are!

When we do this, we forget that our righteousness is just like FILTHY RUGS (Isaiah 64:6). Our righteousness pales down to nothing when compared to the righteousness of God.

In reality, it is not our job to list our good deeds. It is God’s. “For God is not unrighteous to forget [our] work and labor of love, which [we] have shewed toward his name, in that [we] have ministered to the saints, and do minister” (Hebrews 6:10).

Sign no. 7: Self-righteous people reject correction
If we remain self-righteous, time will come that it will make us callous. We hold on to our self-righteousness and it will harden us. And by the time when we need to be corrected, PRIDE sets in, and we become unteachable.

This hardness of heart may spring from the belief that you know almost everything, that you already know what the scripture says, and nothing new can impress you anymore. You think that there’s nothing to learn anymore and you won’t let anybody tell you what to do. We have become too vain in our thinking that we won’t allow anyone to point out where we might have got it wrong.

True righteous people possess a child-like attitude. That is entirely different to what self-righteous people feel about themselves. Jesus Christ was teachable in spite of His wisdom and divine nature. He did everything and anything His Father told Him to do.

Sign no. 8: Self-righteous people talk back to God
For God to work with self-righteous people, they need to be humbled first. However, self-righteousness may persist.

Like Job, we may talk back to God and rationalize our thoughts and actions. We may show God how rich, how we have increased in goods, and how we have need of nothing (Revelation 3:17). We may tell God how good we are by following His commandments and that He owes us a pat on the back and praises! However, just like the Laodicean church, we didn’t know that we are actually “wretched, miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked” (same verse).

Sign no. 9: Self-righteous people think of themselves as important
Sometimes, in our zeal and passion in doing God’s work, we fall into the trap of thinking that it’s all about US.

We look at the results of our work and say, “Wow! Look how many people came into the church through me!” “Did you just see that? I just inspired the whole congregation with MY SERMON!” “Look at how much I am doing for the work of the church. I’m sure the church won’t grow without me.” “I pay a lot of tithes. The pastor will surely miss ME if I leave this church.”

This type of thinking is focused on the SELF. Self-righteousness literally means “SELF-RIGHT.” In reality, we must all be “CHRIST-RIGHT.”

Sometimes we think so highly of ourselves that we felt that God needs us so badly. Actually, the reverse is true: It is US who desperately need God!

Righteous people DON’T think about the things they lost for following God. But rather, they concentrate on the things God gave them!

Sign no. 10: Self-righteous people wallow in self-pity
Every time a self-righteous is chastened by God, he sulks in self-pity. Instead of seeing trials and challenges in life as a way to develop godly righteousness, they would instead pity and prevent themselves from developing the ENTHUSIASM to fight back.

James said that we must “count it all joy when [we] fall into various trials.” For a self-righteous person, he would just endure the trial and not actually rejoice in it. WE NEED TO SEE CORRECTION AS A WAY TO BRING US BACK TO OUR LOVING FATHER.

When God gives us a trial, it is NOT because He wants to prevent us from getting into the Kingdom, but to help us develop the righteousness that enables us to be part of His Family.

When we are corrected for our self-righteous arrogance, we must have a positive attitude, learn the lesson, and overcome. That’s the only way we can destroy the shackles of self-righteousness that restrict our spiritual growth.

Final Words
Here are the 10 deadly signs of self-righteousness. There’s no doubt; it’s HARD TO SEE THE SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS IN US. In fact, every time we do something good, the natural response is to have a certain amount of self-righteousness budding in our hearts.

However, if we truly see what we truly are without God, then we will realize that our righteousness must be from God. After all, it is CHRIST WHO LIVES IN US, and it is Him who helps us produce the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Instead of building our own righteousness, WE NEED TO BUILD THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD.

This is a profound and significant subject we all need to think about. Self-righteousness is indeed a fatal sin that we all need to overcome, and by being alert to these 10 signs of self-righteousness, I hope we can be more successful in becoming less like us and be more like God!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Sin of UNBELIEF/BLASPHEMY is fatal ;)

If one has not believed in Jesus that is fatal.

Do you believe sin is stronger and more powerfull than Jesus, was Paul wrong when he wrote, that there is nothing in all creation that can separate us from the love of Jesus, except small unconfess sins.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one has not believed in Jesus that is fatal.

Do you believe sin is stronger and more powerfull than Jesus, was Paul wrong when he wrote, that there is nothing in all creation that can separate us from the love of Jesus, except small unconfess sins.

Forgive me Windmillcharge for thinking you were one of those self-righteous types. After reading many of your replies to some of my post I stand corrected. You are really just a terrible communicator! lol, as a couple of members have already ridiculed me about the same. No one up here is a great communicator that I have seen as of yet. I may reverse my opinion later ;)

I choose to confess my sins in public, It's not like I go in to detail, they are more generalizations. For example, "adultery" could easily be I had a lustful thought when I saw the brunette stop her vehicle at the stoplight the other day. One thing I guard against and monitor about myself is whether or not something I say/do is "self-righteous". I despise it. Too many of my friends growing up, have later in life, went into ministry. Sometimes I have seen "self-righteous" attitudes in them, including my brother, but it's not worth arguing about any longer, as long as they don't get in my face with their "holier than thou attitude!" Not gonna waste my energy.

By the way, concerning confessed sins, the thief on the cross with Jesus said he believed and asked Jesus to take him with him. He never had time to confess anything to any of his victims. What did Jesus say to him? "Today you will be in Paradise with me....... ." So confession is not an absolute. ;)

Last edited:

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By the way, concerning confessed sins, the thief on the cross with Jesus said he believed and asked Jesus to take him with him. He never had time to confess anything to any of his victims. What did Jesus say to him? "Today you will be in Paradise with me....... ." So confession is not an absolute. ;)

The thief was sorry.

And Jesus knew his heart.

Just like He knows yours and mine.

Many people have no time on hand to confess sin, but they confess it in their mind,
for instance terminal sick people in hospitals who cannot speak, but can still hear.

They hear the message and accept it in their heart and the Lord knows it.

God is a just God.
He knows us in and out.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Top 10 DEADLIEST Signs Of Self-Righteous Christians
Genuine Christians -- by definition -- cannot be self-righteous. The righteousness of Christ has been imputed to them.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genuine Christians -- by definition -- cannot be self-righteous. The righteousness of Christ has been imputed to them.

Please stop minimizing the error of those that have a "holier than thou attitude."

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

On this forum or anywhere else, I'm gonna start calling out the self-righteous! I will pray and do it in a loving way (or try to lol). I just listed 10 signs of self-righteousness. There are more signs besides these I'm sure. We do a huge disservice, to Christian brothers and sisters, when we let them continue in their self-righteousness. AND PLEASE, If I say something that borders self-righteousness, please call me out on it. Thank You.

Last edited:

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thief was sorry.

And Jesus knew his heart.

Just like He knows yours and mine.

Many people have no time on hand to confess sin, but they confess it in their mind,
for instance terminal sick people in hospitals who cannot speak, but can still hear.

They hear the message and accept it in their heart and the Lord knows it.

God is a just God.
He knows us in and out.

Amen!

Reactions: Triumph1300

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And I beg to differ, your definition may be correct, but you insinuate my brother is not a true Christian. Genuine Christians can be self-righteous! My brother is a Genuine Christian, he is just not perfect (none of us are), because he breaks some of the Top 10 list I posted. God will correct him in his time inwardly, so outwardly he will practice more of the love of Christ.

There is so much misunderstanding and miscommunication on these boards and real life. This is the dilemma I guess we humans have to suffer.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is so much misunderstanding and miscommunication on these boards and real life. This is the dilemma I guess we humans have to suffer.
So now we have a *crusader* who believes that the world needs to get a glimpse of his dirty laundry.

That may be good for reality TV, but it is completely unacceptable for Christians to focus on the sins of other Christians while trying to appear above the fray.

Self-righteousness -- by definition -- means that a sinner is attempting to be right with God through his own efforts. The Pharisees believed that they could be righteous in the sight of God by their own Torah observance. This has no relevance to Christians who have been saved by grace and are kept by the power of God. We do not *maintain* our salvation by our own efforts, but we WORK OUT our salvation with fear and trembling, as saith the Scripture.

The Accuser of the Brethren -- the devil -- seeks to have Christians focus on their own sins and failures. Christ -- on the other hand -- seeks to have us focus on Him exclusively and His righteousness, which is worked out in the believer by the power of the Spirit.

Our job on earth is NOT to focus on the shortcomings of other Christians (which is your obsession). Our job is to focus on our own growth in Christ, and to examine ourselves daily.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So now we have a *crusader* who believes that the world needs to get a glimpse of his dirty laundry.

That may be good for reality TV, but it is completely unacceptable for Christians to focus on the sins of other Christians while trying to appear above the fray.

Self-righteousness -- by definition -- means that a sinner is attempting to be right with God through his own efforts. The Pharisees believed that they could be righteous in the sight of God by their own Torah observance. This has no relevance to Christians who have been saved by grace and are kept by the power of God. We do not *maintain* our salvation by our own efforts, but we WORK OUT our salvation with fear and trembling, as saith the Scripture.

The Accuser of the Brethren -- the devil -- seeks to have Christians focus on their own sins and failures. Christ -- on the other hand -- seeks to have us focus on Him exclusively and His righteousness, which is worked out in the believer by the power of the Spirit.

Our job on earth is NOT to focus on the shortcomings of other Christians (which is your obsession). Our job is to focus on our own growth in Christ, and to examine ourselves daily.

I have been hurt throughout my Christian life by "Self-Righteous" people, including my brother. I forgive him and the rest, but it will not keep me from trying to educate myself and others about self-righteousness. Yea so I'm sensitive to the subject. I only focus on others sins when they effect me. ;) But I do try and do it in a loving way. So maybe "self-righteousness" is the wrong label that i'm using. Maybe it's more like WHY DON'T SOME CHRISTIANS TAKE THE LOG OUT OF THEIR OWN EYE BEFORE TRYING TO TAKE THE LOG OUT OF MY EYE!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree.

Much love!

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this mean?

If you love your brother, how much effort does this take?

Much love!

Anything and everything I do whether it's arguing are debating (same thing), I try to do it with a Christ-Like Love. Im still human though, so I admit im not perfect...lol.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this mean?

If you love your brother, how much effort does this take?

Much love!

The effort is not the problem, its whether I let Jesus control or I control what comes out, thats the real issue lol

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anything and everything I do whether it's arguing are debating (same thing), I try to do it with a Christ-Like Love. Im still human though, so I admit im not perfect...lol.
So, what I'm saying, is we can try to do something, which is to acknowledge that this isn't natural to me like breathing air, since I don't really "try" to breathe, I just do.

But if we have been remade into new creatures fashioned according to our Father, of Whom it is declared, God is love, perhaps in the power of the Spirit, we may believe that we are filled with the love God said we are to have, and then live that love?

So when rudely rejected, instead of feeling hurt, or angry, or whatever, we just come back trying to find another way to communicate the truth in a way that might yet be received.

If love is natural and part of me, I believe this means we are walking in the Spirit. If love feels forced, or unnatural, or we have to remind ourselves to be loving, I think this means we need to refocus our faith on Christ, and to walk in the Spirit, and we will become loving, as God is love.

Much love!

Reactions: jshiii

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have been hurt throughout my Christian life by "Self-Righteous" peopl

Happens all the time.
I had a small table for sale on the internet.
One fellow from our church wanted it and said he pick it up on saturday.
Did not show up after I hold it for him 4 days.
I phoned him.
Said he has no money now, maybe in a few weeks.
I sold it next day to another party.
He phones me at midnight and bad mouth me pretty good.
Even told me that on judgement day when I stand before the Lord I will hear about it.... ;-)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I only focus on others sins when they effect me.
They questions you should be asking yourself are these:
1. Did Jesus focus on the jealously, envy, and hatred of His enemies, or did He keep calm and keep on doing good, and doing His Father's business?

2. If I am a Christian, why am I wallowing in my sins (or anyone else's) when my calling is to be righteous, sober, and godly in this present world?