The Will of Man - Excerpt from J. Preston Eby

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shameless plug for new topic. All are invited.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Patrick1966,
I started a new thread and tagged you and St. SteVen (I think). After looking at the new thread, I could not see anything at the bottom of it to show that you and St. SteVen were tagged. Please let me know if the tagging worked.
Joe
Sorry brother, I don't see it. But while I have you, can you answer something for me, please? You too @St. SteVen

In reading the end of Revelation, it sounds like the new Earth and the New Jerusalem will exist even before all people have turned to Jesus. I'm confused because my understanding was that ALL would eventually turn to Jesus and THEN Jesus would give the kingdom to God and thereafter the new world and new Jerusalem would come into existence. Where am I going wrong, please?

Revelation 22:14-15
14 Blessed are those who wash their robes,[c] so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry brother, I don't see it. But while I have you, can you answer something for me, please? You too @St. SteVen

In reading the end of Revelation, it sounds like the new Earth and the New Jerusalem will exist even before all people have turned to Jesus. I'm confused because my understanding was that ALL would eventually turn to Jesus and THEN Jesus would give the kingdom to God and thereafter the new world and new Jerusalem would come into existence. Where am I going wrong, please?

14 Blessed are those who wash their robes,[c] so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
The New Jerusalem probably ALREADY exists in the spirit realm.
Jesus went to prepare a place for us. I don't think he is waiting until we arrive.
Construction may have been in full swing before Christ arrived here.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Jerusalem probably ALREADY exists in the spirit realm.
Jesus went to prepare a place for us. I don't think he is waiting until we arrive.
Construction may have been in full swing before Christ arrived here.
When you and I are in the New Jerusalem, will there be "bad" people on the outside unable to enter, or simply unwilling to enter or neither?

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dear Patrick1966,
The new thread is in the theology forum near the bottom. It is entitled "How Christ begins the conversion process of His Elect". Just a warning, my testimony may be a little difficult for you to receive. Please don't read into it things that aren't there.

As for your question, you must remember that the Word of God (especially the book of Revelation) is taught in Christ's spiritual language.

The teachings that apply to the Old Covenant are outward and literal. But the teachings that apply to the New Covenant are inward and spiritual. In others words, the spiritual teachings of the New Covenant happen between the ears of a person. Don't apply the teachings of the New Covenant outwardly into the world. Doing this is the most common mistake people do when they try to understand prophecy. If the prophecy was not fulfilled under the Old Covenant (outwardly and literal), then it will be fulfilled under the New Covenant (inwardly and spiritually).

Also, Christ's spiritual language uses spiritual symbols to teach its message. Those symbols will be used in 1). direct teachings, or 2). "types" (actual events), or 3). parables (fictional events), or 4). analogies.

VERY IMPORTANT: Don't define the words used in spiritual symbols as Webster's dictionary defines them.

1Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Paul says that to understand the meaning of a spiritual symbol (spiritual things), we must compare the spiritual symbol with the same symbol used elsewhere in scripture. Then with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we can discern its spiritual meaning. For example, the symbol "sword" represents the Word of God who is Christ. It is not a steel bladed weapon.

This finally gets me to your question on the New Earth and New Jerusalem. I will add to them the New Heaven and Thousand Years. All four of them are spiritual symbols. Don't assign meanings to them that this world assigns to them.

Here is what they mean in Christ's spiritual language:

New Earth: the new spiritual nature of a converted believer. That new nature is governed by the Holy Spirit. The Old Earth (usually just mentioned as earth) represents mankind's spiritual nature which is carnal (governed by the flesh).

New Heaven: the new mind of a converted believer which has been transformed into the Mind of Christ. The Old Heaven (usually just mentioned as heaven or heavens), is mankind's carnal mind.

Both the Old Earth and the Old Heaven will be destroyed by fire. Fire is the symbol for Christ's judgment. It is also represented by the symbol "Lake of Fire". During the conversion process, the Old Earth and Old Heaven will be destroyed and replaced by the New Earth and the New Heaven. Once the person is converted, they will be a new creation; a child of God.

Here is where Peter teaches them in relation to the Day of the Lord (judgment, fire) and conversion:

2Pet 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2Pet 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Thousand Years: Notice in verse 8 that Peter mentions the symbol of a "thousand years". The "day" that Peter compares it to is the DAY of the Lord, which is his subject in this chapter. Don't assign a meaning to the thousand years as this world does. Numbers in scripture are also spiritual symbols which carry their own spiritual meaning.

In verse 8, Peter says that the symbol of a "thousand years" is like a "day". This "day" he is referring to is the Day of the Lord. However, the symbol "thousand years" has a more specific meaning than does the Day of the Lord. The "thousand years" is when the Elect reign in judgment with Christ during the Day of the Lord. In this age, they reign in judgment over their own carnality (shown Rev Chapter 19) and then in the final age, the Elect will reign with Christ over the judgment of the rest of mankind.

The thousand years is "twice told":

Ecc 6:6 Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

The symbol "thousand years" ONLY applies to the Day of the Lord for the Elect. The rest of mankind will never reign with Christ for a "thousand years" (not literal time).

New Jerusalem: The New Jerusalem represents the Elect who make up the Kingdom of Heaven.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

The New Jerusalem is the Bride of Christ (the Elect) in her new and glorious spiritual body.

The bodily resurrections occurred in chapter 20 when everyone appeared before the White Throne. The lost are cast into the Lake of Fire and that is where they remain when the book of Revelation ends in chapter 22. Their ultimate salvation is not shown in the book of Revelation.

The Elect are then presented in chapter 21 in their new spiritual bodies. The rest of the chapter presents a very detailed description of them (in spiritual language, of course).

Does what I presented above make sense to you?

Joe

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you and I are in the New Jerusalem, will there be "bad" people on the outside unable to enter, or simply unwilling to enter or neither?
I assume...
That those outside the gate are not waiting around trying to figure how to get in, or anguished that they can't.
I think anyone still outside the gate has not finished their age of restoration yet.

Is there anything about that scripture that indicates otherwise?
(I'm too tired and lazy to look it up - rolled out at 3 AM and worked a 10-day)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Patrick1966,
The new thread is in the theology forum near the bottom. It is entitled "How Christ begins the conversion process of His Elect". Just a warning, my testimony may be a little difficult for you to receive. Please don't read into it things that aren't there.

As for your question, you must remember that the Word of God (especially the book of Revelation) is taught in Christ's spiritual language.

The teachings that apply to the Old Covenant are outward and literal. But the teachings that apply to the New Covenant are inward and spiritual. In others words, the spiritual teachings of the New Covenant happen between the ears of a person. Don't apply the teachings of the New Covenant outwardly into the world. Doing this is the most common mistake people do when they try to understand prophecy. If the prophecy was not fulfilled under the Old Covenant (outwardly and literal), then it will be fulfilled under the New Covenant (inwardly and spiritually).

Also, Christ's spiritual language uses spiritual symbols to teach its message. Those symbols will be used in 1). direct teachings, or 2). "types" (actual events), or 3). parables (fictional events), or 4). analogies.

VERY IMPORTANT: Don't define the words used in spiritual symbols as Webster's dictionary defines them.

1Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Paul says that to understand the meaning of a spiritual symbol (spiritual things), we must compare the spiritual symbol with the same symbol used elsewhere in scripture. Then with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we can discern its spiritual meaning. For example, the symbol "sword" represents the Word of God who is Christ. It is not a steel bladed weapon.

This finally gets me to your question on the New Earth and New Jerusalem. I will add to them the New Heaven and Thousand Years. All four of them are spiritual symbols. Don't assign meanings to them that this world assigns to them.

Here is what they mean in Christ's spiritual language:

New Earth: the new spiritual nature of a converted believer. That new nature is governed by the Holy Spirit. The Old Earth (usually just mentioned as earth) represents mankind's spiritual nature which is carnal (governed by the flesh).

New Heaven: the new mind of a converted believer which has been transformed into the Mind of Christ. The Old Heaven (usually just mentioned as heaven or heavens), is mankind's carnal mind.

Both the Old Earth and the Old Heaven will be destroyed by fire. Fire is the symbol for Christ's judgment. It is also represented by the symbol "Lake of Fire". During the conversion process, the Old Earth and Old Heaven will be destroyed and replaced by the New Earth and the New Heaven. Once the person is converted, they will be a new creation; a child of God.

Here is where Peter teaches them in relation to the Day of the Lord (judgment, fire) and conversion:

2Pet 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2Pet 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Thousand Years: Notice in verse 8 that Peter mentions the symbol of a "thousand years". The "day" that Peter compares it to is the DAY of the Lord, which is his subject in this chapter. Don't assign a meaning to the thousand years as this world does. Numbers in scripture are also spiritual symbols which carry their own spiritual meaning.

In verse 8, Peter says that the symbol of a "thousand years" is like a "day". This "day" he is referring to is the Day of the Lord. However, the symbol "thousand years" has a more specific meaning than does the Day of the Lord. The "thousand years" is when the Elect reign in judgment with Christ during the Day of the Lord. In this age, they reign in judgment over their own carnality (shown Rev Chapter 19) and then in the final age, the Elect will reign with Christ over the judgment of the rest of mankind.

The thousand years is "twice told":

Ecc 6:6 Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

The symbol "thousand years" ONLY applies to the Day of the Lord for the Elect. The rest of mankind will never reign with Christ for a "thousand years" (not literal time).

New Jerusalem: The New Jerusalem represents the Elect who make up the Kingdom of Heaven.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

The New Jerusalem is the Bride of Christ (the Elect) in her new and glorious spiritual body.

The bodily resurrections occurred in chapter 20 when everyone appeared before the White Throne. The lost are cast into the Lake of Fire and that is where they remain when the book of Revelation ends in chapter 22. Their ultimate salvation is not shown in the book of Revelation.

The Elect are then presented in chapter 21 in their new spiritual bodies. The rest of the chapter presents a very detailed description of them (in spiritual language, of course).

Does what I presented above make sense to you?

Joe
Great response. I'll need to re-read it a time or two to fully grasp (hopefully) what you said.

So, when will all people be converted to following Christ?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I assume...
That those outside the gate are not waiting around trying to figure how to get in, or anguished that they can't.
I think anyone still outside the gate has not finished their age of restoration yet.

Is there anything about that scripture that indicates otherwise?
(I'm too tired and lazy to look it up - rolled out at 3 AM and worked a 10-day)
Thanks.

This does cause me to think of another contradiction of mainstream Christianity. If people are thrown into the Lake of Fire for "eternity", how then are they outside New Jerusalem at the end of the Bible?

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If people are thrown into the Lake of Fire for "eternity", how then are they outside New Jerusalem at the end of the Bible?
Good point.
I seem to remember a parable of a Wedding Feast. Those without wedding garments are put outside.
Then what?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point.
I seem to remember a parable of a Wedding Feast. Those without wedding garments are put outside.
Then what?
I posed this question in another community and received the following response. What do you think of it?

To me it seems clear that starting at Revelation 22:6 it's a conclusion/summary. It's a challenge to the reader in verses 14 and 15 to join His Kingdom now, and not stay outside the gates.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great response. I'll need to re-read it a time or two to fully grasp (hopefully) what you said.

So, when will all people be converted to following Christ?
Dear Patrick1966,
Here is when Paul says the last of mankind will be saved:

22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24 Then cometh the CONSUMMATION, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

Those saved at His "coming" are the Elect of this age. His "coming" is when Christ "comes quickly" to His Elect and pours out the Latter Rain. This is their day of redemption. It happens before each of them physically die. That is why Christ's coming is a reoccurring event.

The rest of mankind is saved at the "consummation" which occurs at the end of the final age.

The Feast of Weeks (first fruits) represents the salvation of the Elect during this age. They are the first fruits of the harvest. But they are only the early portion of the harvest, not the last. The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares teaches about the harvest of the first fruits.

The Feast of ingathering (Tabernacles) is the feast that celebrates the harvest at the end of the growing season.

Exo 23:16 And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field.

All of Christ's labors (work) will be gathered in from the field at the end of the year. This represents the salvation of the balance of mankind. This occurs at the consummation.

These verses in John apply to the Feast of Tabernacles and when the rest of mankind will be saved:

John 7:2 Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.

John 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.

John 7:10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

John 7:14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

At last and great day of the feast, Jesus and His bride will make the call to the lost for them to come and drink of the living water.

This matches to this verse in Revelation:

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

It is at this time that the consummation occurs and the balance of mankind is saved.

Joel chapter 2 also teaches about the time of the consummation as it applies to the physical Nation of Israel, who will be last to be saved.

Mark 10:31 But many that are first (the Jews) shall be last; and the last first (Gentiles).

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

The setting in Joel chapter 2 is the final age. At the start of the chapter, it describes Christ's army who are the Elect. Notice in John 7:8, Christ tells the Apostles to go up to the feast first - and in Joel, it is also the Elect who appear first.

The first part of chapter 2 goes into quite a bit of detail about the work the Elect do during the final age. Then later, Christ will come in secret (meaning that he will not appear to the lost) and will begin teaching in the midst of the feast. Then on the "last day", Christ will have "pity" on the lost:

Joel 2:18 Then will the LORD be jealous for his land, and pity his people.

Then the call will be made by Christ to come and drink. He will then pour out the Latter Rain:

Joel 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

The Old Testament story of Joseph and his brothers is a "type" that also teaches about events which happen in the final age. Joseph is a type for Christ and Jacob & the brothers are a type for the Nation of Israel. Like Joel, the story teaches the salvation of the physical Nation of Israel but provides a few more details.

This is one of my favorite verses of that story:

Gen 46:29 And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.

This verse shows the great love Christ has for the Nation of Israel. No one should ever doubt it.

After the last Jew is saved, all mankind will be in the Kingdom of Heaven and Christ's reign will come to an end.

Joe

Last edited:
  • Love

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Patrick1966,
Here is when Paul says the last of mankind will be saved:

22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24 Then cometh the CONSUMMATION, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

Those saved at His "coming" are the Elect of this age. His "coming" is when Christ "comes quickly" to His Elect and pours out the Latter Rain. This is their day of redemption. It happens before each of them physically die. That is why Christ's coming is a reoccurring event.

The rest of mankind is saved at the "consummation" which occurs at the end of the final age.

The Feast of Weeks (first fruits) represents the salvation of the Elect during this age. They are the first fruits of the harvest. But they are only the early portion of the harvest, not the last. The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares teaches about the harvest of the first fruits.

The Feast of ingathering (Tabernacles) is the feast that celebrates the harvest at the end of the growing season.

Exo 23:16 And the feast of harvest, the firstfruits of thy labours, which thou hast sown in the field: and the feast of ingathering, which is in the end of the year, when thou hast gathered in thy labours out of the field.

All of Christ's labors (work) will be gathered in from the field at the end of the year. This represents the salvation of the balance of mankind. This occurs at the consummation.

These verses in John apply to the Feast of Tabernacles and when the rest of mankind will be saved:

John 7:2 Now the Jews' feast of tabernacles was at hand.

John 7:8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.

John 7:10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

John 7:14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

At last and great day of the feast, Jesus and His bride will make the call to the lost for them to come and drink of the living water.

This matches to this verse in Revelation:

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

It is at this time that the consummation occurs and the balance of mankind is saved.

Joel chapter 2 also teaches about the time of the consummation as it applies to the physical Nation of Israel, who will be last to be saved.

Mark 10:31 But many that are first (the Jews) shall be last; and the last first (Gentiles).

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

The setting in Joel chapter 2 is the final age. At the start of the chapter, it describes Christ's army who are the Elect. Notice in John 7:8, Christ tells the Apostles to go up to the feast first - and in Joel, it is also the Elect who appear first.

The first part of chapter 2 goes into quite a bit of detail about the work the Elect do during the final age. Then later, Christ will come in secret (meaning that he will not appear to the lost) and will begin teaching in the midst of the feast. Then on the "last day", Christ will have "pity" on the lost:

Joel 2:18 Then will the LORD be jealous for his land, and pity his people.

Then the call will be made by Christ to come and drink. He will then pour out the Latter Rain:

Joel 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

The Old Testament story of Joseph and his brothers is a "type" that also teaches about events which happen in the final age. Joseph is a type for Christ and Jacob & the brothers are a type for the Nation of Israel. Like Joel, the story teaches the salvation of the physical Nation of Israel but provides a few more details.

This is one of my favorite verses of that story:

Gen 46:29 And Joseph made ready his chariot, and went up to meet Israel his father, to Goshen, and presented himself unto him; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his neck a good while.

This verse shows the great love Christ has for the Nation of Israel. No one should ever doubt it.

After the last Jew is saved, all mankind will be in the Kingdom of Heaven and Christ's reign will come to an end.

Joe

Wow. Thanks.

Do you teach the word anywhere else?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I posed this question in another community and received the following response. What do you think of it?

To me it seems clear that starting at Revelation 22:6 it's a conclusion/summary. It's a challenge to the reader in verses 14 and 15 to join His Kingdom now, and not stay outside the gates.
Dirty laundry was all that was keeping them out. - LOL
Those inside had "washed" their robes.
Fortunately, Jesus cleansing is like a "a launderer’s soap". - PTL

Revelation 22:14-15 NIV
“Blessed are those who wash their robes,
that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.
15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers,
the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Malachi 3:2 NIV
But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears?
For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap.

Matthew 22:11-13 NIV
“But when the king came in to see the guests,
he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes.
12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’
The man was speechless.
13 “Then the king told the attendants,
‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness,
where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. Thanks.

Do you teach the word anywhere else?
Dear Patrick1966,
There are no churches which are not apostate so I do not attend any churches and I haven't since 2005.

Right now, I teach only on forums and from my website.

As I have said though, I have been banned from all the forums that I have joined over the years except for this one. Most forums do not allow non-orthodox teaching except for the subject of "end-time" prophecy. However, since I understand end-time prophecy to be teaching the pathway to salvation, I usually don't get very far with that subject either.

The truth of Christ to those who are under the influence of the spirit of anti-Christ can be very threatening to them.

Mat 11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

As Paul said, fallen away believers are dwelling in darkness and in "peace and safety". Most of them will not tolerate any teaching that differs from what they currently believe. They don't want their perceived "peace and safety" to be disturbed. However, some of them will try to defend their beliefs with scripture and when they do, it is amazing how they twist and turn scripture to make it say what they want it to say. They call that process "exegesis" and they are very proud of it.

For the Elect, Christ will not allow their "peace and safety" to stand forever. He will come to them a second time and bring sudden destruction to them. Their "peace and safety" will suddenly collapse as this scripture "types":

Acts 16:26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

Joe