The will to help my fellow man

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RDawson

Oct 17, 2012
Hi all,
I'm new to this whole forum thing, and I hope I'm doing this correctly...
I've recently found it very difficult to find the strength to help others. I know Jesus said “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you…” (John 15:12 ), but giving back to my community has proven to be so tiring. I volunteer at a homeless shelter twice a week, but have been “playing hooky” these past few weeks. I just can’t seem to find the inspiration to go. I’ve tried reading the bible to find a source of inspiration, but I still long for the fire that I had when I began volunteering.
If anyone has any idea for helping me find inspiration, I would be so grateful.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Galatians 6:8 - For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

This is about the only thing I could think of. I would pray about the situation if I were you (= It's not always "fun and games" when trying to toil for other people's sake. But, you shall be rewarded in Heaven for your work here on earth (=
Try to put the other people's sakes ahead of yours. Think of the benefits these people are receiving by your ceaseless labour.

RDawson

Oct 17, 2012
Galatians 6:8 - For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

This is about the only thing I could think of. I would pray about the situation if I were you (= It's not always "fun and games" when trying to toil for other people's sake. But, you shall be rewarded in Heaven for your work here on earth (=
Try to put the other people's sakes ahead of yours. Think of the benefits these people are receiving by your ceaseless labour.

Thank you for your response, and you make a valid point. I know I'll be rewarded in heaven, but I would like to see the fruits of my labor here as well. Is there anyone who can maybe tell of a situation where they volunteered/helped another and it made a difference (doesn't have to be significant) in that persons life? I know those type of stories have a way of motivating..

ALightbulb

Feb 23, 2012
Why not try volunteering elsewhere, like an animal shelter or something? Maybe volunteering at the homeless shelter just isn't you.

Hebrews 13: 15-16 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Matthew 7: 12 So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them

Luke 6: 38 Give, and it will be given to you.

rand

Sep 10, 2012
I agree with Alighbulb. IF you don't have a real passion for what you're doing, then it's probably not what the Father has in mind for you. Also, I think what Jesus was commanding us is not turn our back on someone who needs our help. Help them, out of love. I don't think this will be difficult when the time comes, I think it will be in our nature--to feed the hungry, visit the sick, give someone a drink who is thirsty, give them clothes, entertain angels. However, helping that person who you know needs help can sometimes be difficult not because it really is hard to do, but because we build it up so much in our own minds, but when we actually do it, it was awesome. it was fun, and we can't wait to do it again. Have you ever experienced that?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I work at a drop in center for kids who are homeless - it is not for everyone. God calls us to love everyone in our lives - that is practicing our sanctification. I love what I do, but I know am called to do more in the rest of my life, as well.

One encouraging thing that has happened recently is a letter my staff received from a former client who took the time to thank the people who worked 8 years ago - the former staff really made a difference in this person's life and blessed us through their good works - hopefully, our good labor will help someone, as well and possibly bless future staff.

I will pray for you for discernment and encouragement!

RDawson

Oct 17, 2012
I agree with Alighbulb. IF you don't have a real passion for what you're doing, then it's probably not what the Father has in mind for you. Also, I think what Jesus was commanding us is not turn our back on someone who needs our help. Help them, out of love. I don't think this will be difficult when the time comes, I think it will be in our nature--to feed the hungry, visit the sick, give someone a drink who is thirsty, give them clothes, entertain angels. However, helping that person who you know needs help can sometimes be difficult not because it really is hard to do, but because we build it up so much in our own minds, but when we actually do it, it was awesome. it was fun, and we can't wait to do it again. Have you ever experienced that?
You may be right. I'm going to look into volunteering at other places. As to your question, I have experienced that, but it was a long time ago. Do you have any recommendations for volunteering? A place where you felt a great sense of satisfaction?

I work at a drop in center for kids who are homeless - it is not for everyone. God calls us to love everyone in our lives - that is practicing our sanctification. I love what I do, but I know am called to do more in the rest of my life, as well.

One encouraging thing that has happened recently is a letter my staff received from a former client who took the time to thank the people who worked 8 years ago - the former staff really made a difference in this person's life and blessed us through their good works - hopefully, our good labor will help someone, as well and possibly bless future staff.

I will pray for you for discernment and encouragement!
Thank you for your prayers and your uplifting story. If anyone else has more stories about helping people, please share them. I think a forum like this can really provide a great source of motivation for people to give back to their fellow man.
As it is written:
"In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” (Acts 20:35)

RDawson

Oct 17, 2012
Hey guys,
I found a great book filled with inspirational stories called "Secrets of Kindness: A Journey Among Good People."
It's filled with great stories about people helping others, and it takes place in Israel (my favorite country).
You may want to check it out. You can find it on Amazon.