There are Angels Climbing Up and Down Me

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed22

Nov 10, 2009
Citizen of Heaven
In John 1:43-51, Jesus meets Nathanael. Jesus miraculously knows things about Nathanael, and so Nathanael professes belief that Jesus is the Son of God and King of Israel. Jesus responds in verse 50: "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these." 51And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."(ESV) Now, Jesus is frequently referring to himself as the Son of Man. So Jesus is telling Nathanael that angels will be ascending and descending him, and Nathanael will see it happen. Just before, Jesus called Nathanael honest and a "True son of Israel" or "an Israelite indeed".There is exactly one other place in the Bible with "ascending and descending", and it is also angels doing the ascending and descending!Genesis 28:12-15 is Jacob's dream of the ladder/stairway between heaven and earth, with angels ascending and descending.Jacob looks up and sees God in heaven, and God speaks promises to Jacob concerning Jacob's descendents (Israel). Jacob calls the place (on the earth side of the ladder) "the gateway to heaven" and names it "Bethel" ie house of God.Now it is easy for us to think of Jesus as the bridge between the earth and heaven, since God reconciles us to Himself through Jesus, but Jesus is doing more than calling himself a ladder.Nathanael did indeed see heaven opened and the "formation" of the ladder in the death and resurrection of Christ... but Jesus is also claiming that the connection between God and earth in the days of Jacob was already the Son of Man. Jesus is telling Nathanael that Jesus' action, although intersecting a very specific point in time, transcends time. Angels ascending and then descending also implies the existence of the ladder predates the observation of it.Jacob has the dream when resting on a stone. Jacob sets the stone up as a memorial pillar, and anoints it with oil. God tells Jacob, "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.," and in Mathew 28:20b Jesus says, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age."I am looking for some input: What is Jesus saying about the covenant with Jacob? Why Nathanael? What is the relevance of pointing out that Nathanael is honest, and a true son of Israel? What is the relevance of the stone, and the anointing of the stone? Is the similarity with Mathew 28:20 relevant? Other thoughts?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'll certainly be watching what others say - I don't know enough about the Bible to respond to you - only to read and learn.Welcome here, btw.:) Miss Hepburn

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Redeemed22;74720]In John 1:43-51 said:
Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these[/COLOR]." 51And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."(ESV) Now, Jesus is frequently referring to himself as the Son of Man. So Jesus is telling Nathanael that angels will be ascending and descending him, and Nathanael will see it happen. Just before, Jesus called Nathanael honest and a "True son of Israel" or "an Israelite indeed". There is exactly one other place in the Bible with "ascending and descending", and it is also angels doing the ascending and descending!Genesis 28:12-15 is Jacob's dream of the ladder/stairway between heaven and earth, with angels ascending and descending.Jacob looks up and sees God in heaven, and God speaks promises to Jacob concerning Jacob's descendents (Israel). Jacob calls the place (on the earth side of the ladder) "the gateway to heaven" and names it "Bethel" ie house of God. Now it is easy for us to think of Jesus as the bridge between the earth and heaven, since God reconciles us to Himself through Jesus, but Jesus is doing more than calling himself a ladder. Nathanael did indeed see heaven opened and the "formation" of the ladder in the death and resurrection of Christ... but Jesus is also claiming that the connection between God and earth in the days of Jacob was already the Son of Man. Jesus is telling Nathanael that Jesus' action, although intersecting a very specific point in time, transcends time. Angels ascending and then descending also implies the existence of the ladder predates the observation of it. Jacob has the dream when resting on a stone. Jacob sets the stone up as a memorial pillar, and anoints it with oil. God tells Jacob, "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.," and in Mathew 28:20b Jesus says, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." I am looking for some input: What is Jesus saying about the covenant with Jacob? Why Nathanael? What is the relevance of pointing out that Nathanael is honest, and a true son of Israel? What is the relevance of the stone, and the anointing of the stone? Is the similarity with Mathew 28:20 relevant? Other thoughts?
Yes, I think [Matthew 28:20] is very relevant. He is with us, lives in us, walks in us. He is IN US, "with you always, even to the end of the age," if we are as Nathanael...true sons of Israel. As far as the angels "descending" showing a time before Jacob...yes it does. There was a previous age, the age in which Satan rebelled. The Genesis story is about the beginning of this age but we were here before this beginning. All of us were.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Genesis story is about the beginning of this age but we were here before this beginning. All of us were. -ww
Why do people on this forum understand this and other forums don't and would fight you tooth and nail over this !!?What makes you guys so smart or lucky?! You are a step above -or closer -whatever the phrase is, IMO:) :) :) ;)

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Miss Hepburn;74769][COLOR=purple][B]Why do people on this forum understand this and other forums don said:
[/COLOR]What makes you guys so smart or lucky?! You are a step above -or closer -whatever the phrase is' date=' IMO[/COLOR']
Because....we are both smart and lucky! :D Smart enough to understand that teaching and lucky enough to be on a forum that allows that truth to be taught.

oneway

May 30, 2009
whirlwind;74787 said:
Because....we are both smart and lucky! :D Smart enough to understand that teaching and lucky enough to be on a forum that allows that truth to be taught.
Good answer!!:) although this is not the only forum that understands this.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
[quote name='oneway;74798]Good answer!!:) although this is not the only forum that understands this.[/QUOTE] [B]There aren't many. It is met with such disbelief and ridicule that it astounds me. Try talking about Kenites and....ZAP - banned!!! So far' date=' I have four notches on my computer marking the bannings. :D Badges of honor. [/B']

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Why do people on this forum understand this and other forums don't and would fight you tooth and nail over this !!?What makes you guys so smart or lucky?! You are a step above -or closer -whatever the phrase is, IMO
Well,speaking for myself,it's so ovious,not to mention it's right there in the Word...I would say neither smart nor lucky but blessed... People say it's not important to know,but when you know this truth, along with what really happened in the garden the whole Bible flows so beautifully and also with this knowledge, the end is so very easy to understand... PS I kinda like this writting in purple as it's my favorite color : )

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
n2thelight;74833][B][COLOR=#800080] Well said:
What really happened in the Garden and who are Kenites!!!? :)Sorry, - you can direct me to another thread where all this is talked about, I've only been here a month or so.Signed,AnxiousAnd you answered a ques I had ---"Is this purple ok for people to read?"

Not-Home-Yet

Nov 24, 2009
Why do people on this forum understand this and other forums don't and would fight you tooth and nail over this !!?What makes you guys so smart or lucky?! You are a step above -or closer -whatever the phrase is, IMO
Maybe its because we are all at different levels with our Walk with the Lord...Some have been to bible collage... some are just new born Christians...Some may even say they are Christian but are not.... which ever the reason and I know there are many different reasons.... Take me for example I have always had trouble reading not just God's Word but other things as well... until I found out that I could listen to the Word on line.... That has help my reading and also my learning.... but it does not matter weather we know how to read the Word or not Jesus takes us just the way we are and he Always founds a way for his Word to get through to even the one who cannot read it...... May God blessings be with you ...love Jane