There Is One Thing God Can't Do.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rdventen

Feb 16, 2010
USA
The one thing that God can not do is to take away are sins, aside from the death and resurrection of are Lord Jesus. John 14:5-7 (New King James Version[sup]5[/sup] Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” [sup]6[/sup] Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The one thing that God can not do is to take away are sins, aside from the death and resurrection of are Lord Jesus. John 14:5-7 (New King James Version[sup]5[/sup] Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” [sup]6[/sup] Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Seeing how Christ already shed his blood at the cross, redeeming and reconciliation all things, I don't think it really matters does it?
smile.gif

01CobraVortech

May 2, 2010
NJ
I'm not sure that's good wording saying that God can't forgive sins directly. I think God is just so perfect in everything that he does so this is the only just way He can forgive sins, in His sight and presence.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Well, I understand the Point he was Making Robster, as comfirmed by Jiggyfly............. there is no forgivness outside of the Lord Jesus and the Work of the Cross.

Yet.......................

Jesus told us whosoever sins WE remit are remitted.

James said if anyone is sick, then in faith with some Oil, anointing them and they will not only be healed but their sins will be forgiven.

We can go on other peoples behalf.............and get them forgiven.

Jesus Is Lord

rdventen

Feb 16, 2010
USA
Well, I understand the Point he was Making Robster, as comfirmed by Jiggyfly............. there is no forgivness outside of the Lord Jesus and the Work of the Cross.

Yet.......................

Jesus told us whosoever sins WE remit are remitted.

James said if anyone is sick, then in faith with some Oil, anointing them and they will not only be healed but their sins will be forgiven.

We can go on other peoples behalf.............and get them forgiven.

Jesus Is Lord

The Apostles Commissioned

[sup]19[/sup] Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled,[sup][c][/sup] for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” [sup]20[/sup] When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
[sup]21[/sup] So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” [sup]22[/sup] And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. [sup]23[/sup] If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

What I believe what we have here is our Lord after His resurrection, and He sends out the 12 apostles on their first mission to preach the Gospel, and if that person believes the Gospel then their sins are forgiven them and if they don't believe then their sins are not forgiven them. They were sent out to the Jews only, because later on Jesus makes Paul the apostle to the Gentiles' and for them to receive the Gospel.

Matthew 10:5-8
5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. [sup]6[/sup] But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. [sup]7[/sup] And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ [sup]8[/sup] Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead,[sup][c][/sup] cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

Now if you look at these Scriptrues in Matthew, this is before our Lord Jesus died on the cross for our sins. So I believe that what we have here is our Lord Empowering the Apostles to do these things, now if you look at these Scriptures you do not see where the Lord gives them the power to forgive sins, because only God can forgive sins though the shed blood of His Son Jesus.

I think that it would be wrong for us as believers to think that we all have that same power given to us by the Lord Jesus, because if that was so then we ourselves as believers would not die in this life, because if that was ture then any other believer would have the power to raise us up from the dead again.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
rdventen

I think that it would be wrong for us as believers to think that we all have that same power given to us by the Lord Jesus, because if that was so then we ourselves as believers would not die in this life, because if that was true then any other believer would have the power to raise us up from the dead again.

Thank you for looking into my statements more. Certainly telling believers they have the power to forgive sin gets attention.

We have 3 places where we have been given a place to forgive sin. Jesus said it once, James said it once, and John.

1Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Now John gives the best example of us getting forgiveness for someone's sins. John words it a little different. John said Live will be given to that person.

Your looking at sins forgiven born again. Jesus never said that, James never said that, and John did not say that. The only message conveyed was that sin would be forgiven and life would be given to them. That is different than just speaking over someone and they receive a new spirit. (Born again)

All sin leads to death. The punishment for sin is sickness, captivity, poverty, and so on. The punishment for breaking God's word can be found in Deut 28. So, sin leads to death, and not just some spiritual death off in the future. NO, all sin takes hold and starts to destroy quality of life, and things you would have happened good do not happen. Lots of times it just we miss blessings that we were suppose to have, and that is why it seems sin has no immediate direct consequences when in reality it is wreaking the spiritual realm around us.

If someone sins, that produces death. We have a right to interceded on that persons behalf and keep Satan off that person. This is what James was talking about getting someone healed and their sins forgiven. We remove the devils rights to enforce that death and sickness by us praying for that person. Same with John, He said God would give them life, as oppose to death for the sin they committed.

Jesus said the same thing, their sins would be remitted.

Jesus said he is not judging anyone on earth, but God will judge at the appointed day. So, your name better be in that book of life. We have no ability to put someones name there. They have to make that choice for Jesus.

We can ask the Lord to forgive someone, and keep Satan from killing that person until they receive Jesus or if they are born again we can keep the devil off their back.

Remember when Paul turned over someone to Satan for the destruction of the flesh for his sin of sleeping with his mother or step mother? he also said they were puffed up as if nothing was going on wrong? (1 Cor 5:5)

If that man gave place to the devil, why did not Satan just get him? The answer must be because of those around that man. We have authority over Satan. Why did not God get him? God is not the one judging yet, but God set up his word that we may obey and be protected. So, Paul knew Satan had a right to this man, and turned this man over to him, instead of asking God to forgive what this man was doing and would have continued to do.

This should clear my statement up.

Jesus Is Lord.

gumby

May 29, 2009
For one thing this whole thing that your trying to say that god cant do something if its his will that claim is false. Scripture tells us that god can do any and evrything at all times.

Matthew 19:26

Jeremiah 32:17

Jeremiah 32:27

Job 42:2

Mark 10:27

Luke 1:37

Luke 18:27

God can do anything he chooses and no man on the face of the earth can stop god.

God bless

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Heb 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

God can't lie Gumby, even if he wanted to. Much as a Dog can't meow. The scripture does not say God chooses not to lie, it say's it's impossible for him to do so.

Jesus Is Lord

gumby

May 29, 2009
Heb 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

God can't lie Gumby, even if he wanted to. Much as a Dog can't meow. The scripture does not say God chooses not to lie, it say's it's impossible for him to do so.

Jesus Is Lord

I never stated in my post that god is a liar. Satan is the father of lies not god.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Gumby I must have misread your statement.

For one thing this whole thing that your trying to say that god cant do something if its his will that claim is false.

My statement is that even if God tried as hard as he Could, He could not tell a lie, even if it was His Will, not that it would ever be.

Jesus Is Lord.

rdventen

Feb 16, 2010
USA
For one thing this whole thing that your trying to say that god cant do something if its his will that claim is false. Scripture tells us that god can do any and evrything at all times.

God can do anything he chooses and no man on the face of the earth can stop god.

God bless

Matthew 18:21-23 (New King James Version)

The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
[sup]21[/sup] Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
[sup]22[/sup] Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

These are the only type of sins that we can forgive one another, but we can not forgive the sins that we commit against God, only God can do that thats my whole point.

Joshua 24:18-20 (New King James Version)
18 And the LORD drove out from before us all the people, including the Amorites who dwelt in the land. We also will serve the LORD, for He is our God.”
19 But Joshua said to the people, “You cannot serve the LORD, for He is a holy God. He is a jealous God; He will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. 20 If you forsake the LORD and serve foreign gods, then He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after He has done you good.” Psalm 79:9
Help us, O God of our salvation,For the glory of Your name; And deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins, For Your name’s sake!

Psalm 90:8
You have set our iniquities before You,Our secret sins in the light of Your countenance.

Isaiah 1:18
“ Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “ Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Matthew 18:21-23 (New King James Version)

The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
[sup]21[/sup] Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
[sup]22[/sup] Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

These are the only type of sins that we can forgive one another, but we can not forgive the sins that we commit against God, only God can do that thats my whole point.

Joshua 24:18-20 (New King James Version)
18 And the LORD drove out from before us all the people, including the Amorites who dwelt in the land. We also will serve the LORD, for He is our God.”
19 But Joshua said to the people, “You cannot serve the LORD, for He is a holy God. He is a jealous God; He will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. 20 If you forsake the LORD and serve foreign gods, then He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after He has done you good.” Psalm 79:9
Help us, O God of our salvation,For the glory of Your name; And deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins, For Your name’s sake!

Psalm 90:8
You have set our iniquities before You,Our secret sins in the light of Your countenance.

Isaiah 1:18
“ Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “ Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

Yes i understand your point fully however my point is that god can do all things he chooses at all times if he desires.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI

Mt 9:2 And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Mt 9:4 And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?

Mt 9:5 For whether is easier, to say, [Thy] sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

Mt 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Does this passage clear things up a little? It should...Or, it could lead to further study of the word, time permitting.
fivesense

God bless

Amen Gumby! He is God. Let us glorify Him for being God and thank Him. I would not like a different One, should I be able to choose. The one I would choose, thinking it best for me, would probably end up a taskmaster and merciless.
fivesense