Thorns and thistles

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was unusual. He is God. Want an inside line to life, listen to him.

False teachers come with thorns and thistles. Put simply, get close to who they are and they will hurt and tear at others.

A group gathers. Jesus comes and shines life and love, hope brought to reality. A false teacher comes to divide, expose and dominate. Disagree, and it's personal, you will get roasted. One calls and shows the other fights and brings down.

On forums especially, thorn givers quickly lash out if not appeased, and over the smallest point must clarify, with the only true interpretation.

I say this, because with a good loving heart it is easy to think one has done something wrong. But be encouraged, you know they are false, so the confusion is there's alone, so gently walk away with a blessing. God bless you all .

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In context this is my insight into seeing the behaviour of others and seeing Jesus.

It struck me meeting strangers, do we desire to shine, or decide who is friend and foe. The enemy mindset is powerful, it drives all radical groups.

Jesus chose a living example of service and love. His light was to shine on the straight path, giving space to all and listening.

He healed 10 lepers, but only one said thank you. Jesus's points were about the heart and not personal.

The listener had to see for themselves where they are. Jesus and the woman caught on adultery was not analysed, or put in her place. She was allowed free, forgiven, and warned not to sin.

That is not our worldly way.

Our church runs a night shelter over winter for the homeless. Some find it hard to believe these are ordinary people with trauma and often depression. Do we want to distance ourselves or connect and help if we can? Thorns or grapes, protecting oneself or showing support and concern?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for letting us know how saintly you are as compared to us in you own judgement.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our church runs a night shelter over winter for the homeless. Some find it hard to believe these are ordinary people with trauma and often depression. Do we want to distance ourselves or connect and help if we can? Thorns or grapes, protecting oneself or showing support and concern?
Yes, but not all are 'handicapped' that way, some are exploitative, some feel entitled and that the world owes them, some are hypochondriacs, and some are ungrateful. And sometimes they need to be called on it, in order that the truly needy receive their due.

Yes, it's true that the depraved and degenerate always tear down, and that they even derive pleasure from doing so. I've often said that confident people make others feel confident, tough people protect those around them, and that losers always bring out the worst in others. I believe this to be an intrinsic fact of human nature, designed so by God, in order that true strength will make you stronger, and that the weak of character will only get weaker (beating an easy target, or an un-resisting target, is not a victory, nor does it build character).

But, on such a forum that is generally classified as a debate platform, opinions and passion are expected. And let's face it, whether it be me or someone else, some opinions are just absolutely out-there that they are verging on offensive, if not blatantly so. And thus, it is not wise or prudent to overlook such erroneous views. Give credit where's it due, but also one must point out error when it is truly believed to be so. And equally, we must rebuke when it is deemed that one is being reckless with God's Word.

Oh, and by the way, I rebuke you for calling Jesus God, or any creature God, for that matter. That's offensive!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was unusual. He is God. Want an inside line to life, listen to him.

False teachers come with thorns and thistles. Put simply, get close to who they are and they will hurt and tear at others.

A group gathers. Jesus comes and shines life and love, hope brought to reality. A false teacher comes to divide, expose and dominate. Disagree, and it's personal, you will get roasted. One calls and shows the other fights and brings down.

On forums especially, thorn givers quickly lash out if not appeased, and over the smallest point must clarify, with the only true interpretation.

I say this, because with a good loving heart it is easy to think one has done something wrong. But be encouraged, you know they are false, so the confusion is there's alone, so gently walk away with a blessing. God bless you all .

Hello..I just wanted to understand the real point, or bottom line of your OP so I can appreciate it or not. I can mostly probably say it for you, although I might offend or even be way off. I really do not want to be premature and hasty.

Well let me at least just ask a question or two: Are you offended or deeply affected by reading alarming and different views than yours on this site that affects your core beliefs?

If you think or feel that you and many others are on the 'right' side of the truth, in confidence, love and hope, why worry about others that you call false teachers and most probably liars, and dividers as you say? Maybe you should show these 'dividers' using scripture, and in complete context, the error of their ways, in love? If I'm right are you up to doing this as a true believer in Christ?

Bless you,

APAK

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello..I just wanted to understand the real point, or bottom line of your OP so I can appreciate it or not. I can mostly probably say it for you, although I might offend or even be way off. I really do not want to be premature and hasty.

Well let me at least just ask a question or two: Are you offended or deeply affected by reading alarming and different views than yours on this site that affects your core beliefs?

If you think or feel that you and many others are on the 'right' side of the truth, in confidence, love and hope, why worry about others that you call false teachers and most probably liars, and dividers as you say? Maybe you should show these 'dividers' using scripture, and in complete context, the error of their ways, in love? If I'm right are you up to doing this as a true believer in Christ?

Bless you,

APAK
Please understand my context.
I love everyone and desire to see as they see. I do not want to be hurtful to anyone. So with this in mind I found I was a threat to some, a person the regarded as an enemy, to attack, to bring down, to accuse of being evil, of the devil, worse than a murderer.

Now I respond kindly, in love, encouraging others to share. Now as far as theology and ideas go I will show up, quote scripture, be as open as I can be, and disagree on points.

My aim is to walk the straight path, to listen to Jesus and follow. So why do these folk wish me harm? Some admitted to getting angry, to trying to upset me. That is what wolves do, if you do not tow their line.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love everyone and desire to see as they see. I do not want to be hurtful to anyone. So with this in mind I found I was a threat to some, a person the regarded as an enemy, to attack, to bring down, to accuse of being evil, of the devil, worse than a murderer.

Now I respond kindly, in love, encouraging others to share. Now as far as theology and ideas go I will show up, quote scripture, be as open as I can be, and disagree on points.

My aim is to walk the straight path, to listen to Jesus and follow. So why do these folk wish me harm? Some admitted to getting angry, to trying to upset me. That is what wolves do, if you do not tow their line.
I understood you to be saying along the lines of that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. It sounds to me that you just wanted to get everything in line with who you are.

Kudos!

Much love!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well as you have already found out, there are folks on this site and others like it that will always try to intimidate, 'ride you' unto or into submission, with no love and even with false claims. If your personality in such that you do not like confrontation then either say your peace or ignore these agitators that do not edify. Stay in the threads and lanes that edify and comfort you...and others....

I for one have taken breaks off this site for similar reasons. There are a few here that are bent on forcing their view onto others. You would think that they would get the message by now that some folks are not listening to them anymore.... They would get further with their cause with patience, love and a demonstration of empathy. What is the hurry? There are many folks here that have been at this site for years and covered the same subjects at least a dozen times... there's lots of time to get one's message across even under enemy fire...

Anyway...I'm happy to hear from you. I still believe I can contribute and bring meaning in truth to the word of our God to others

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: FollowHim

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well as you have already found out, there are folks on this site and others like it that will always try to intimidate, 'ride you' unto or into submission, with no love and even with false claims. If your personality in such that you do not like confrontation then either say your peace or ignore these agitators that do not edify. Stay in the threads and lanes that edify and comfort you...and others....

I for one have taken breaks off this site for similar reasons. There are a few here that are bent on forcing their view onto others. You would think that they would get the message by now that some folks are not listening to them anymore.... They would get further with their cause with patience, love and a demonstration of empathy. What is the hurry? There are many folks here that have been at this site for years and covered the same subjects at least a dozen times... there's lots of time to get one's message across even under enemy fire...

Anyway...I'm happy to hear from you. I still believe I can contribute and bring meaning in truth to the word of our God to others

Bless you,

APAK
What I have found amusing is how some will call this group friends and that group enemies, and I appear in both.

Until one sees truth exists outside of us, and we grasp it over time. It is not ours, rather we are the illusion attempting to see the reality.

So anyone who helps refine the truth, amen. Religion does not protect us, true faith liberates us from the need to prove anything or have a hearing.

Imagine God blessing heretics as they praise Him. He will, because some are true. When one becomes a judger and sifter things go wrong.

Liars also will claim unity while abusing others. Correction is about the heart and gentleness, yet these folk just want destruction.

God bless you, continue shinning everywhere.

Reactions: APAK

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have the heart of Jesus @FollowHim
God is looking at our heart-reaction to a person in need, He judges, not us.

@DNB said: " Yes, but not all are 'handicapped' that way, some are exploitative, some feel entitled and that the world owes them, some are hypochondriacs, and some are ungrateful. And sometimes they need to be called on it, in order that the truly needy receive their due." <--- God will give discernment where needed and, it is not our business if "they" are hypochondriacs, ungrateful, exploitive - we bless, until or unless God shows us different. The point is, we don't KNOW where these people have come from, Jesus said the poor you will always have with you...we are to feed the poor, not grill them or do a background check on them before giving them a warm meal! That simply is not our job.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have the heart of Jesus @FollowHim
God is looking at our heart-reaction to a person in need, He judges, not us.

@DNB said: " Yes, but not all are 'handicapped' that way, some are exploitative, some feel entitled and that the world owes them, some are hypochondriacs, and some are ungrateful. And sometimes they need to be called on it, in order that the truly needy receive their due." <--- God will give discernment where needed and, it is not our business if "they" are hypochondriacs, ungrateful, exploitive - we bless, until or unless God shows us different. The point is, we don't KNOW where these people have come from, Jesus said the poor you will always have with you...we are to feed the poor, not grill them or do a background check on them before giving them a warm meal! That simply is not our job.
I'm just trying to be balanced about it Nancy. I'm not saying scrutinize everyone upon offering a hand-out, but I believe that we can't afford to be frivolous with our charity and generosity, and that we should be prudent about how we appropriate precious resources.
Time will tell if someone is abusing the system, and we shouldn't be naive about it or turn a blind eye. ...or, succumb to every sob story out there.

I'm just saying that not every accusation of abuse, injustice, poverty, or ailment is valid. And I tempered my response with agreeing that there are truly treacherous and tyrannical people out there, with nothing but oppressive and subversive motives.
We must protect the victim, ...provided that they have authentically been victimized in one form or another.
And equally, we must confront the culprit, either the oppressor, or the one crying wolf.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just trying to be balanced about it Nancy. I'm not saying scrutinize everyone upon offering a hand-out, but I believe that we can't afford to be frivolous with our charity and generosity, and that we should be prudent about how we appropriate precious resources.
Time will tell if someone is abusing the system, and we shouldn't be naive about it or turn a blind eye. ...or, succumb to every sob story out there.

I'm just saying that not every accusation of abuse, injustice, poverty, or ailment is valid. And I tempered my response with agreeing that there are truly treacherous and tyrannical people out there, with nothing but oppressive and subversive motives.
We must protect the victim, ...provided that they have authentically been victimized in one form or another.
And equally, we must confront the culprit, either the oppressor, or the one crying wolf.

Hi DNB,
Agreed, neither am I intoning that we be frivolous with what God has blessed us with. And yes, we must be prudent.
I know all about the "users" - up close and personal! - and the worst ones in my experience were self proclaiming Christians, somehow that hurts much more than if it came from a non-believer.
Of course we protect the victim, always. I'm well aware of all the schemers out there...wise as serpents, gentle as doves...
Those that work the system are lawbreakers and should be treated as such. So, not sure we are talking the same group of folks here, lol. Thanks for the reply :)

Reactions: DNB

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I have found amusing is how some will call this group friends and that group enemies, and I appear in both.

Until one sees truth exists outside of us, and we grasp it over time. It is not ours, rather we are the illusion attempting to see the reality.

So anyone who helps refine the truth, amen. Religion does not protect us, true faith liberates us from the need to prove anything or have a hearing.

Imagine God blessing heretics as they praise Him. He will, because some are true. When one becomes a judger and sifter things go wrong.

Liars also will claim unity while abusing others. Correction is about the heart and gentleness, yet these folk just want destruction.

God bless you, continue shinning everywhere.

Yes indeed, correction is necessary at times and its all about the heart and its condition that determines it effect and impact.

The heart with an attitude of gentleness, in love and truth brings peace, triggered by the Spirit. It helps us do this 'good' work as the same as our Lord Jesus. We do it spontaneously, together with the Spirit, with joy and sense of loyalty (in faith) and duty to our LORD God and the Lord of our Salvation.

In Christ always by the Spirit,

APAK

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DNB,
Agreed, neither am I intoning that we be frivolous with what God has blessed us with. And yes, we must be prudent.
I know all about the "users" - up close and personal! - and the worst ones in my experience were self proclaiming Christians, somehow that hurts much more than if it came from a non-believer.
Of course we protect the victim, always. I'm well aware of all the schemers out there...wise as serpents, gentle as doves...
Those that work the system are lawbreakers and should be treated as such. So, not sure we are talking the same group of folks here, lol. Thanks for the reply :)
You touch on an important point. If I share something emotionally significant, either one takes it on board or repackages the content into something evil.

One member literally took a passage of scripture and added what they said was my meaning. What was odd was they were wrong, completely.

Another took a loving and encouraging experience and made it satanic. What I realise is no one who knows Jesus needs to do this, literally. So though they proclaim faith, there hearts declare something very different.

It is very hard for me to suggest they are lost, but if they need to change truth they are living a lie. Once you learn this, opposition from people of faith makes sense. They are slaves to their emotional compromise.

Hearts of love are open, feel pain, and adjust. The road with Christ is the cross, through which we gain life. Pain of love needs to be embraced, as truth sets us free. And I know these people will not understand what I am writing here, because the pain it causes them is too great, which is the point. Until we die to self we cannot rise with Christ.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You touch on an important point. If I share something emotionally significant, either one takes it on board or repackages the content into something evil.

One member literally took a passage of scripture and added what they said was my meaning. What was odd was they were wrong, completely.

Another took a loving and encouraging experience and made it satanic. What I realise is no one who knows Jesus needs to do this, literally. So though they proclaim faith, there hearts declare something very different.

It is very hard for me to suggest they are lost, but if they need to change truth they are living a lie. Once you learn this, opposition from people of faith makes sense. They are slaves to their emotional compromise.

Hearts of love are open, feel pain, and adjust. The road with Christ is the cross, through which we gain life. Pain of love needs to be embraced, as truth sets us free. And I know these people will not understand what I am writing here, because the pain it causes them is too great, which is the point. Until we die to self we cannot rise with Christ.

Hi F.H.,
"You touch on an important point. If I share something emotionally significant, either one takes it on board or repackages the content into something evil."
It seems many here are always telling others how they feel or how they should feel...such assumption. Putting words into other's mouths, skewing their clear meaning, maligning it. And, yes, their hearts always show them up.

"They are slaves to their emotional compromise."
Self induced spiritual death...

"Hearts of love are open, feel pain, and adjust. The road with Christ is the cross, through which we gain life. Pain of love needs to be embraced, as truth sets us free."
I think grief is the price we pay for love, as in- pain, disappointment, heartache, loss.
Humans can let us down everyday! But God will NEVER let us down, His is a love we can count on and hopefully start to share that love with others. Christ Life ;)

If one truly is seeking Truth, they will tear away the old man if they grow in His knowledge. And, it will hurt at first, for sure! But it never feels better once the old man is gone. And, as far as some of the replies on here, we are after all, sent out like sheep among wolves. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: FollowHim

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for letting us know how saintly you are as compared to us in you own judgement.
An interesting point.
I do not know what I am other than what Jesus calls His followers.
Holy, pure, cleansed, righteous, loving, kind, listening, humble.
God's people do not judge others but desire to serve.

Each one can only share the light they have, and know their own heart reaction. God's people are here, so I know they are far more saintly than me, this worthless Saint, anointed and cleansed by God's attonement of the cross and walk of the path. It is a privilege to share and speak with them. God bless you

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting point.
I do not know what I am other than what Jesus calls His followers.
Holy, pure, cleansed, righteous, loving, kind, listening, humble.
God's people do not judge others but desire to serve.

Each one can only share the light they have, and know their own heart reaction. God's people are here, so I know they are far more saintly than me, this worthless Saint, anointed and cleansed by God's attonement of the cross and walk of the path. It is a privilege to share and speak with them. God bless you

i'm sorry but are you trying to impress me by telling me you are some kind of humbleness/saintliness? you've errored already, you are your own witness.