Thou shalt not kill or murder?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Killing was okay in ESV Numbers 35:

27 and the avenger of blood finds him outside the boundaries of his city of refuge, and the avenger of blood kills [H7523] the manslayer, he shall not be guilty of blood.
kills
וְרָצַ֞ח (wə·rā·ṣaḥ)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 7523: To dash in pieces, kill, to murder

The Hebrew word ratsach (H7523) is ambiguous.

Ratsach was not okay in Exodus 20:

13 “You shall not murder <H7523>.
ESV translated ratsach as "kill" in Numbers 35:27 but as "murder" in Exodus 20:13 in order to make consistent logical sense of both verses. Otherwise, they would appear contradictory.

At Biblehub, 28 versions use "murder"; 12 older versions use "kill".

See also Can a Christian be a professional soldier?.

Reactions: Nancy

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kills
וְרָצַ֞ח (wə·rā·ṣaḥ)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular

ESV translated ratsach as "kill" in Numbers 35:27 but as "murder" in Exodus 20:13 in order to make consistent logical sense of both verses. Otherwise, they would appear contradictory.

Genesis 9:6 -
“Whoever sheds man’s blood,
By man his blood shall be shed;
For in the image of God
He made man.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kills
וְרָצַ֞ח (wə·rā·ṣaḥ)

Yes, there are several occasions in which taking of another human life would be justified, biblically. In a just war, for example, the enemy could be killed. In a judicial proceeding, a corrupt Israeli could be put to death for various crimes.

So words have to be viewed in their context, since one word application cannot apply equally to all places where the specific word occurs. That would be an interpretive fallacy.

If one put someone to death by mistaken identity, for example, we may not have a word for degrees of murder or unintentional deaths. I don't know how specific the ancient Hebrew language on this would be? What about a death by friendly fire? We just have to try to look at the *intended meaning* of the word in context.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, how will you translate Numbers 35:27 and Exodus 20:13?
Numbers describes an accidental death and cities of refuge that one can go to if a relative seeks to avenge the accidental death until fairly judged. Exodus, the 6th commandment "Tho shall not Kill" is murder, not accidental. Though he might still escape to city of refuge. After Judgement, he is a wanted man.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Numbers describes an accidental death and cities of refuge that one can go to if a relative seeks to avenge the accidental death until fairly judged. Exodus, the 6th commandment "Tho shall not Kill" is murder, not accidental. Though he might still escape to city of refuge. After Judgement, he is a wanted man.

This is the second time I have asked.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is the second time I have asked.
I interpret the same as the bible says it.

Numbers 35:21-or in enmity he strikes him with his hand so that he dies, the one who struck him shall surely be put to death. He is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when he meets him.

Numbers 35:27 - and the avenger of blood finds him outside the limits of his city of refuge, and the avenger of blood kills the manslayer, he shall not be guilty of [b]blood,
In a accidental death the congregation sends the manslayer to a city of refuge. If he leaves the city, then by God's law, the avenger can kill the manslayer and not be punished.

Exodus 20.13 - The 6th commandment "Thou shall not kill", is the same punishment as Numbers 35:21. Its murder, and by man, he shall be put to death.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use KJV and NKJV
Does not the Bible say to kill murderers and rapist.

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

We know in the OT Israel was sent to kill certain peoples.. and there is war also in the heavens... who knows your job in heaven could be part of the angel army. haha Will you tell God No?

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

We know in the OT Israel was sent to kill certain peoples.. and there is war also in the heavens... who knows your job in heaven could be part of the angel army. haha Will you tell God No?
That’s funny… I agree with your premise.. On judgement day is anyone going to raise there hand and say God you can’t destroy that person.