Tithe...a christian doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
There exists solid Scripture from New Testament that tithing is still a biblical principle, but many reject it.

Millions of Christians in the world today tithe, but millions also rob God and refuse to tithe and place money as their god before Father God.

Tithing is either in the heart or not. But I do know one thing, God placed tithing into my heart and for me and many other millions of Christians around the globe, we all clearly see that tithing is taught in Bible for New Covenant Christians.

But many reject tithing, and they reject biblical support for tithing and look for any justification to NOT tithe, and that is between them and their God and they can answer to God for that at Judgement day.

As for me, I love tithing and it shows God that He is number 1 and that I trust in Him BEFORE money, hence, my FIRST 10% of ALL income goes back to God who gave it, and that shows I worship and trust in God FIRST to provide for me in life and not money.

Tithing is a New Covenant teaching and is still valid, and that's easy for anyone to see if they truly loved the truth. It's only people who hate the idea of giving to God their first 10% of ALL INCOME, that try to look for ways to escape it, because they trust in MONEY more than God to provide for themselves.

1Cor 9: 1-14 is the clearest passage in the NT regarding tithing. Paul refers to those who worked in the temple were paid from the monies that went into the temple. Then he says, "in the same way those who preach the gospel should live from the Gospel." It seems that he says that the way the Levites were paid was the model for the NT era preacher. The church at Corinth was totally Gentile - 1 Cor 12:2 - and here Paul tells these guys that they should tithe in 1 Cor 9.

People were tithing in Paul's day BUT TO JESUS. Hebrews 7:8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

THIS IS CLEAR EVIDENCE THAT TITHING WAS PRACTISED TO JESUS - in Paul's day the Jews who had not accepted Jesus tithed to the levites still - however Jesus received as tithes - back then and still now - and in 1 COr 9 Paul says that we pass them onto the ministers.

Hebrews 7:1,2,8-10

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him,2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,” and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,”8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.9 Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak,10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

The Bible is very clear for anyone who earnstly seeks the truth, that tithing is a New Covenant principle, and God knows, we need it more than EVER in history now as humans have gone astray and become worshippers of money. Tithing shows us and God that we completely trust in God as our number 1 to provide for us. Yet sadly, many Christians in the world are NOT tithing because they fear being left short money to pay their bills. But thank God many Christians are tithing and they show that their FIRST 10% of ALL INCOME goes to God and that they trust to survive on the other 90% and have complete faith in God. They worship God as their number one and not money!

Ask yourself honestly if you are not tithing, why do you refuse to tithe? Do you reason that you cannot afford it? Do you fear being left short? Answer honestly, remember God is listening.

Many people turn to MONEY to trust in to provide for them and their familes. That's why they cannot bring themselves to give away the first 10% because they will reason they cannot afford it, showing they worship and trust in money as NUMBER 1 and God as NUMBER 2. Bible says you cannot worship money and God. But then people will resort to self deception and tell themselves that they do not worship or trust in money, but on the other hand, they refuse to tithe, because deep deep down, they are afraid they will be left short on money and not be able to pay their bills.

Some people are so greedy and hate the idea of placing God as number 1 that they will refuse to tithe, so instead they make false excuses, contradict Scripture, in a desperate attempt to avoid tithing. But I tell you Mark, it's your choice, but you are robbing God in the process, Malachi chapter 3.

As for me, tithing is written in my heart by God the day I came to God 12 years ago. And I delight in tithing and it shows that God is my number 1 and not money. I wouldn't even need anyone to prove tithing is in Bible to me, because it's alrerady written in my heart and I have alrwady seen enough evidence and proof from Jesus and Bible that New Covenant Christians should still tithe, especially in these last days, where money has become such a god and idol to so many people, we need tithing now more than ever, even among Christians, many trust in and worship money indirectly, and tithing is a way for them to place God number 1 again.

There is a REASON why God asks we give Him the first 10%, yet sadly, most people refuse and instead try to find excuses and try to justify why they cannot do it or do not want to do it.

Malachi 3:8-10 "Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’ "In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Prov 3:9 Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
Prov 3:10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

Firstfruits = demonstrates that God has 1st place in my life. Give God our 1st part of our income not what we have left over. This demonstrates that God is 1st in our lives and not money or possessions. Giving to God 1st helps us to conquer greed.

Tithing is still a biblical principle! More is said of it in the Old Testament than in the New Testament. This is because the tithe was connected with the tribe of Levi and their ministry for Israel.

Ultimately the tithe belongs to the Lord, not the church or the pastors! God redirects the tithe in the Old Testament to the Levites for their service in the temple and especially since they received no land as the other tribes did! And in Matt 23:23 Jesus clearly said that tithing remains in the New Testament era.

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

- How come Abraham spontaneously tithed? Who taught him this principle? Melchizedek didn't teach him! Abraham already knew about tithing and so he did it spontaneously which shows it was already a well-established principle in his life to just do it without being asked or taught about it! It already was his common practise to do so.

Some will then argue that Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

- so what? The fact that he tithed 400 years before the law system of tithe existed proves that it was his common practise too. Even if Jacob perverted the system this does not negate the system! Perversion of principles do not negate principles.

Some will then argue that only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

- Correct but 1 Cor 9 explicitly says that the Levite who ministers at the altar has been REPLACED BY THE MINISTER

Some will then argue that only food products from the land were tithable.

- that is true - but these people were farmers and this was their only source of income - it was their money. Jesus commended the tithing practises of the Pharisees - see Matt 23:23. Their tithes included "all they possess" which included more than just products of the land since money existed in Jesus day - Luke 18:12. Remember that Jesus never condemned them for their meticulous tithing but their lack of love - he commended their tithing in Matt 23:23

Some will then argue that money was never a titheable commodity.

- as above - the pharisees tithed their money - and Jesus commended their tithing - Matt 23:23 :"Yes you should tithe" Jesus said so.

Some will then argue that Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

- wrong again - the church at Corinth was totally Gentile - 1 Cor 12:2 - and here Paul tells these guys that they should tithe in 1 Cor 9

Some will then argue that Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.

- wrong again - People were tithing in Paul's day BUT TO JESUS "

Hebrews 7:8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

THIS IS CLEAR EVIDENCE THAT TITHING WAS PRACTISED TO JESUS - in Paul's day the Jews who had not accepted Jesus tithed to the levites still - however Jesus received as tithes - back then and still now - and in 1 COr 9 Paul says that we pass them onto the ministers

NEW COVENANT TITHING

ABRAHAM TITHED – THERE WAS NO LAW – HE LIVED UNDER GRACE AND YET TITHED!

NC IS ABRAHAMIC COVENANT IN FULFILMENT AND HEB 7 MENTIONS 2 SYSTEMS OF TITHING

Gal 3:16-17,19

· No law at time of Abraham - it was “added” 430 years after Abraham

Heb 7:1,2, 8-10

· yet Abraham tithed yet not under the law system!

· Whatever Abraham did in Gen 14, Hebrews sees this tenth of spoils to Mel as tithe.

Hebrews 7:1,2,8-10

For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him,2 to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all, first being translated “king of righteousness,” and then also king of Salem, meaning “king of peace,”8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.9 Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak,10 for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

· SO regardless of how we interpret the giving of spoils in Gen 14, Heb 7 is explicit in that Abraham and the Levites were paying tithes!

Rom 4:15

· But since Abraham not under the law system, he was not subjected to wrath/curses whether he tithed or not

Rom 5:13

· sin not imputed to him during this era

So Abraham tithed not under the law system because it did not exist as such for another 430 years. This means that whether he tithed or not he was not exposed to wrath, curses because sin was not imputed to him.

Romans 4:13-16

· All that Abraham did was faith in the grace of God not law-based because it did not exist!

· This means this Abraham’s tithe could not be law-based but grace-based – so no curses or blessings came as a result of tithing or not

OC AND ABRAHAMIC TITHING CONTRASTED

Mal 3:8-11

· OC tithing COMMANDED

· Our obedience/disobedience opens windows of heaven

· We control whether or not heavens opened or closed

· OC tithing based on human obedience releases curses or blessings

· OC tithing = TITHE FIRST, Blessing AFTER

Gen 14:19-20 cf. Heb 7:1-2

· BLESSING FIRST REGARDLESS OF OBEDIENCE, tithing AFTER

2 TITHING SYSTEMS DESCRIBED IN HEB 7

SO FAR … We have seen that Abraham tithed. He did not live under law but operated solely by faith under grace. He tithed in response to blessing. Israel tithed under law system which operated by curses and blessings. Israel’s tithe tithed to cause blessings.

Heb 6:13-20

· Blessing based solely on oath, not on works

· Introduces Abraham as a means of discussing the NC and its unconditional oath nature.

· Connects Jesus to Abrahamic Covenant

· Does so by introducing Mel who was a type of Christ only to discuss oath unconditional nature of NC void of works

· Purpose is to encourage us because our connection to God based on oath, not works

Heb 7:1-5

· Discusses Abraham’s tithing as a means of discussing the superiority of NC and OC.

· Levites tithed under Law. But Abraham tithed under Oath grace

· Abrahamic tithe to Mel was superior to levitical tithe under law.

· And these 2 tithes were under 2 Covenants – Abrahamic and Law

· His point is that the tithe system by Abraham is greater than the levitical under law.

· And Jesus was a Priest under Mel not law = superior

Heb 7:6

· 2 types of tithe - living – OC and NC

Heb 7:8 NKJV

· Jesus as part of Mel priesthood receives tithes still

OC MOTIVATION IS TO RELEASE BLESSINGS OR TO BLOCK CURSES

NC TITHING IN RESPONSE TO BLESSING IN GRATITUDE FOR WHAT ALREADY HAVE

GAL 4:21; 3:1-3,10

– tithing with OC motivation exposes you to curses BECAUSE you cant mix the 2 systems of covenants

– Galatian believers were trying to combine faith in Jesus with the obedience to the law to receive blessings

– This mixing of covenants doesn’t work

Romans 11:5-6

– One or the other but not a mixture – mixture can only result in curses

– You either rely on Jesus works or your works but never a mix

Gal 3:13-14,16,29

– Jesus by his death took away the curse of the law of tithing

– By his obedience he received all the blessings within him

– As we put faith in Jesus without works we are entitled to all the blessings made to Abraham because they now belong to Jesus and we are in Jesus

– Blessings through a system connection in Jesus who already has done all the good works and transferred automatically over to us

SO WHY THEN DO WE TITHE IF WE ARE BLESSED ANYWAY? WE TITHE UNDER THE ABRAHAMIC COVENANT AND SO TITHE FOR THE SAME REASONS ABRAHAM DID:

NT is clear in that in the NC we return to the principle of 1st usage. When Jesus was asked about marriage he refered to Genesis – God’s first is God’s Best. He skipped over the law and went back to the original. Matt 19:1ff. So too Paul, Ephes 5. When the NT discusses Sabbath does the same – skips Moses and goes back to Creation. God’s first is God’s best – Heb 4:1-10.

So too with tithe. NT refers to principle of first usage – God’s first is always God’s best – The reference to Abraham mentions tithe under grace. In this context we tithe for the following reasons:

GEN 14:17-18

-1- IT WAS NOT COMMANDED

-2- It was voluntary

-3- Tithed in response to learning WHO this God was that called him and promised to bless him – First time God IDENTIFIED as El Elyon = Most High God THE CREATOR – Abraham tithed in response to REVELATION as to WHO God was. – v. 19

-4- Tithes in response to WHAT GOD HAD ALREADY FOR HIM NOT SO THAT WOULD GET FROM HIM – God had already protected him without Abraham doing anything first and so Abraham tithes in gratitude – v. 20

SO Abraham tithes for 3 reasons:

-1- WHO God was

-2- What God had already done for him

-3- Not commanded

-4- Voluntary

-5- Already had been blessed

Romans 4 – says that we are to follow what Abraham did prior to circumcision – it was faith in grace and this included his tithing

1 Tim 5:17-18 – called to support the elders-ministers financially

1 COr 9:13-14 – parallels support to priests tithe with support to ministry-apostles

So if you are a Christian and love Jesus and do not want to rob God and want to obey God, then TITHE! But if you worship and trust in money before God and want to rob God and disobey God than don't tithe. The choice is yours.

God bless.