Tithing 10%?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus said in Matthew 23:

23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
10% is a good rule of thumb. Paul did the 10% when he was a Pharisee. After his conversion, he was less legalistic and more flexible, 2 Corinthians 9:

7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Generally, Jesus said in Matthew 6:

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, it is okay to save money in the bank or invest it in the stock market until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus. I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)

In the meantime, don't forget justice, mercy, and faithfulness.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10% tithing is not a command in the NT, 2 Corinthians 9:

Matthew 6:

Don't try to calculate as the Pharisees did. Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, it is okay to save money in the bank or invest it in the stock market until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus.

BTW, I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)
That is not what is called for in the new testament. The saints came together and shared everything in common to everyone according to their needs. Being wealthy is dangerous to a persons chances at salvation.

In today's churches we see donations and for Mormons 10% tithe etc. But that is not what the new testament spells out and it concerns me that a lot of churches today are actually businesses in disguise designed to make money and steal from the Lord's purpose. And in the end perhaps they will get what they have earned from God in judgment.

Acts 4:32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
10% tithing is not a command in the NT, 2 Corinthians 9:

Matthew 6:

Don't try to calculate as the Pharisees did. Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, it is okay to save money in the bank or invest it in the stock market until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus.

BTW, I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)
I think giving our "firstfruits" to the Lord is a good thing. Likewise we have have tithed for decades...like more than 40 years. God looks after His people.

Many will complain that this is too much...too religious... but who are you tithing to? Are you tithing to the Lord? Or are you tithing as a religious observation to a certain ministry? Whatever one feels is right to do. God loves a cheerful giver. :)

As a minister of Christ outside the institutional system, I receive support from the tithe...not a salary...but support in daily life....food, clothing, heat for the house...gas for the car. Giving to the Lord includes giving to those who serve Him.

If someone feels led to give to foreign missions or needs for sustenance in places where there are droughts, famines, wars...good. This honours God. If someone honours God by supporting a Christian minister who preaches the truth...very good.

We are each responsible to the Lord. The tithe is an indicator of how much is our reasonable service. Of course if someone gives more or ALL for the Lord....so much the better (if this is done responsibly, not taking away from those who need our support.)

So then the tithe is a balanced approach to giving...and one that is approved by God.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is not what is called for in the new testament. The saints came together and shared everything in common to everyone according to their needs. Being wealthy is dangerous to a persons chances at salvation.

In today's churches we see donations and for Mormons 10% tithe etc. But that is not what the new testament spells out and it concerns me that a lot of churches today are actually businesses in disguise designed to make money and steal from the Lord's purpose. And in the end perhaps they will get what they have earned from God in judgment.

Acts 4:32 Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common. 33 And with great power the apostles gave witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And great grace was upon them all. 34 Nor was there anyone among them who lacked; for all who were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles’ feet; and they distributed to each as anyone had need.
Community in the Spirit is so far beyond the normal way we Westerners live. It takes more maturity than I think we moderns are able to produce. Living selflessly is NOT seen as being necessary...it is seen as wrong by most. It is seen as cultic. In some cases the definition of a cult is a group that is more devoted to the Lord than the one doing the accusing.

Community in the Spirit comes out of a revival. Although a community can be intentional, I think that organizing such an extreme way of life is so difficult unless there is a shared spiritual life.

I have experience with both revivals and community living. Growth in the Lord is exponential ...but so are the trials, attacks, and testings. A lack of personal devotion to the members of Christ's Body...agape love...is usually apparent. There is a lack of seeing that we are members one of another. There is too much immaturity and carnality in the churches to even consider that a fresh outbreak of real church and kingdom community will break out any time soon.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please be specific. Precisely what is not called for in the New Testament? Can you quote my words?
I gave you Acts 4:32-35 in post #2. You can easily get the idea of a true church of God from that.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I gave you Acts 4:32-35 in post #2. You can easily get the idea of a true church of God from that.
Sorry that I am slow. Please be specific. Precisely what is not called for in the New Testament? Can you spell it out? Can you quote my words?

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

10% is a good rule of thumb. Paul did the 10% when he was a Pharisee. After his conversion, he was less legalistic and more flexible, 2 Corinthians 9:

Take good financial care of your family. Pay down your debts. Give to your local church. Give to others as well. Look to your heart. Do you spend your money on your selfish purchases or on others who have needs?

Also, it is okay to save money in the bank or invest it in the stock market until an opportune time. We are to give everything, our time and money, to Jesus. I have been practicing this since I called myself a Christian decades ago :)

At no time were first-century Christians commanded to pay tithes. The primary purpose of the tithing arrangement, under the Law, had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death. (Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:13, 14) It is true that Levitical priests continued serving at the temple in Jerusalem until it was destroyed in 70 C.E., but Christians from and after 33 C.E. became part of a new spiritual priesthood that was not supported by tithes.-Romans 6:14; Hebrews 7:12; 1 Peter 2:9.

As Christians, we are encouraged to give support to the Christian ministry both by our own ministerial activity and by material contributions. Instead of giving fixed, specified amounts to defray congregational expenses, we should contribute “according to what a person has,” giving “as one has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”-2 Corinthians 8:12; 9:7

The Apostle Paul set an example in seeking to avoid bringing an undue financial burden on the congregation.-Acts 18:3; 1 Thessalonians 2:9.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Would love to post likes and loves to yor responses, but as you very very rarely respond to the threads you post, I won't like them

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As i learn more and more to love God i have found that 10% is just the tip of the iceberg.
Blessed with the Abraham's covenant the more I find that God blesses me to be a blessing. And by planting seeds I have been multiplied to multiply others. Living waters (blessings) will flow from the overflow of our personal ministries.