To fear the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Some of you think that the Lord is all Love. However that is somewhat true. He is also Almighty and Holy. And when you recognize his Holiness, then you are able to truly fear the Lord, and with that fear comes wisdom.1 Chronicles 16:29 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.Now what is holiness?In Hebrew Holiness translates to qodesh, and the rough translation of that is "set-apartness, separateness".So the reason why God is holy is because there are none like Him. And because none are like Him means that none can match his power, grace, and beauty., Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.Sure you do have to fear the Lord. You do that by recognizing his Almighty power. But you should also serve him with love and respect.(Kriss)
I've found a better translation to the word "fear" is often Revere. Its a word not used much today but I think it a good one if you revere someone, You love them deeply, but just as a parent might be revered by a child you want to obey their rules.Not because you are afraid of them but because you desire to please them above all.
Psalms 145:20The LORD preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy.Psalms 111:10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Ive found a better translation to the word "fear" is often Revere. Its a word not used much today but I think it a good one if you revere someone, You love them deeply, but just as a parent might be revered by a child you want to obey their rules.Not because you are afraid of them but because you desire to please them above all.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Yes, Wakka,"Fear of the Lord is beginning of wisdom", that means take God seriously and He comes first in our lives. However, we should not mislead people believing God is angry that if we don't obey Him we will be burned in hell forever. It is out of the context with God's character completely.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(Joyful;15835)
Yes, Wakka, However, we should not mislead people believing God is angry that if we don't obey Him we will be burned in hell forever. It is out of the context with God's character completely.
I never portrayed him like that.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Agree Joyful thats why I prefer Revere it is accebtable translation in many vereses

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Wakka;15836)
I never portrayed him like that.
I did not think you did Wakka I think she was refering to others who might misunderstand what you were saying

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Alright. I added your quote onto the original post. Thank you sister Kriss.(kriss;15839)
I did not think you did Wakka I think she was refering to others who might misunderstand what you were saying
Yeah. I noticed that too.Yeah, but Matthew 10:28 is a different kind of fear
tongue.gif

ryangrom

Aug 5, 2007
I love how The Amplified Bible defines "the fear of The Lord". It renders "fear of the Lord" as to revere and worship. And often times they throw in to hold him in awe. "reverent worshipful awe"...Strongs Concordance says the Hebrew for 'The fear' from Psalm 111:10 is "yir'ah". Strongs defines "yir'ah" as:1) fear, terror, fearing a) fear, terror
cool.gif
awesome or terrifying thing (object causing fear) c) fear (of God), respect, reverence, piety d) reveredThe same Hebrew word has seperate meanings depending on the context. The fear(of God) is defined by Strongs as "respect, reverence, and piety".Just thought I'd add that in there... But yeah, "reverent worshipful awe"... i just love that!

Confidence

Aug 25, 2007
Good day to all of the above.To know God is to fear God, for God has a demandable authority for HIS existence.
Yes, Wakka,"Fear of the Lord is beginning of wisdom", that means take God seriously and He comes first in our lives. However, we should not mislead people believing God is angry that if we don't obey Him we will be burned in hell forever. It is out of the context with God's character completely.
God has mercy for the follower, HE takes cares of humanity and yet they do not realize so. God does prefer a obedient soul than to be lost at personal offering when disgrace occurs, God does reward openly the intents, for if not, even a cynical can be as respectable as a just prudent man in seem. If motivated by truth, such is aw and shall set you free, but if not, it is the self condemns the self by the word of God who has all dominion, that evil is of limitation for it is minimizing and good is a infiniteness to uphold.Thank you for noticing me.