To Judge, Or Not To Judge?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The terms “judge,” or “judgment,” are used in different ways in the Scriptures. Their meanings and usage are mainly governed by the context in which they are found. When they mean to condemn, to sentence or punish, man is usually to leave the prerogative with God. “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord” (Rom 12:19). Nor are we to judge the motives of others. Only God can see the heart and know the motives that underlie actions (1 Cor 4:1-5).

At other times the words mean: to distinguish, to test, to call into question. This is what God would have believers do, in love (Eph 4:15), especially as to whether or not preaching and teaching is true to His Word. Paul wrote, “And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; that you may approve things that are excellent” (Phil 1:9, 10).

An often misapplied Scripture is, “Judge not” (Mat 7:1). For one thing, this is a kingdom command forbidding hypocritical judgment, and is not addressed to those who in love and sincerity seek to discern whether a teacher or teaching is in accordance with God’s Word.

Hypocrisy is the subject here: “Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge , ye shall be judged : and with what measure ye mete , it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold , a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye” (Mat 7:1-5).

Actually, the last statement of the Scripture commands sincere judgment: “Then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.” We are not to forget nor seek to avoid the fact that our Lord Jesus commands us to “judge righteous judgment.” He commended one, “Thou hast rightly judged.” He asked others, “Why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?” (John 7:24; Luke 7:43, 12:57).

One of the reasons for the Church being in a sickly condition today is that believers have not obeyed the commands of God’s Word to judge error. “Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them” (Rom 16:17). The false teachers made the “divisions,” and not those who protest against their errors.

It is our privilege and responsibility to do all we can to encourage the spiritual growth of others. We are to love and pray for one another, and to consider ourselves lest we be tempted. The safest and most profitable thing to do is to judge ourselves. “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened (child-trained) of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world” (1 Cor 11:31, 32).

“It will make all the difference if we judge our own faults unlovingly how we judge the faults of others; and judge the failings of others as lovingly as we do our own!
- Miles J Stanford

InspectorGadget

Feb 9, 2013
Ohio
Very well put.

I think the problem usually occures when people do not consider motives to be admissible facts, and feel they are judging error. I have met people who have disagreed with my practices, and who believed no reason could be adequate to explain away by supposed misconduct. Sin is sin, and error is error. I am reminded of David eating the shewbred, and Jesus eating and drinking with sinners. The outward appearence is evil perhaps, but God knows the heart.

It does make fellowship difficult though, when you are always viewed as somone who doesn't take his faith as seriously as the "core group".

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It is our privilege and responsibility to do all we can to encourage the spiritual growth of others. We are to love and pray for one another, and to consider ourselves lest we be tempted. The safest and most profitable thing to do is to judge ourselves. “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened (child-trained) of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world” (1 Cor 11:31, 32).

“It will make all the difference if we judge our own faults unlovingly how we judge the faults of others; and judge the failings of others as lovingly as we do our own!
- Miles J Stanford
Amen! I like that...Judging ourselves is something we do not do very often.

Blessings!!!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus was found amongst the sinners while teh Pharisees judged Him and even John, yes I wil be with them too, thats where we should all b, showing them Christ not Judging them.

In All His Love

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
mjrhealth said:
Jesus was found amongst the sinners while teh Pharisees judged Him and even John, yes I wil be with them too, thats where we should all b, showing them Christ not Judging them.

In All His Love
-- You spouted the same thing in the Homosexuality thread.

Letting someone know that God loves them and died for them, but they will need to change a part of their lives to be with Him is NOT judging them.

You are helping to save them for all eternity.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Letting someone know that God loves them and died for them
There is a big difference between showing someone the love of God and telling them and a even biiger difference betwwen that and calling them sinners and tellin them they are going to hell, that stement is a judgemnt made in teh flesh. is an accusation and you dont know that.

In All His Love

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
InspectorGadget said:
Very well put.

I think the problem usually occures when people do not consider motives to be admissible facts, and feel they are judging error. I have met people who have disagreed with my practices, and who believed no reason could be adequate to explain away by supposed misconduct. Sin is sin, and error is error. I am reminded of David eating the shewbred, and Jesus eating and drinking with sinners. The outward appearence is evil perhaps, but God knows the heart.

It does make fellowship difficult though, when you are always viewed as somone who doesn't take his faith as seriously as the "core group".
Hi IG and thanks for the reply! I pretty much know what you mean, but I believe it would depend on what "practice" it is, because if we continue to do what Scripture is clear on it being something to put off, it will always stand as a "red-flag" issue, at least to our own conscience--which should always be clear of guilt (1 Tim 1:5).

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
mjrhealth said:
There is a big difference between showing someone the love of God and telling them and a even biiger difference betwwen that and calling them sinners and tellin them they are going to hell, that stement is a judgemnt made in teh flesh. is an accusation and you dont know that.

In All His Love
Matthew 16
23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

Matthew 23
33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?

Christ was not nice to anyone while He walked on this earth. His gospel was brutally honest to His Apostles first and the world second. He pulled no punches with anyone.

Christ and His teachings are the Love of god there is no other.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
mjrhealth said: There is a big difference between showing someone the love of God and telling them and a even biiger difference betwwen that and calling them sinners and tellin them they are going to hell, that stement is a judgemnt made in teh flesh. is an accusation and you dont know that.

In All His Love
I wish I could take you to some real bible study sessions!

''''and you dont know that'''' Actually we do. Rejecting Jesus = Accept the devil. Reject disciples ( our NT fore-runners) = Matt 10:15 It will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for
that town.

Jesus was with the sinners exactly like every Christian today is.... He called them sinners. He told them they were sinners and what exactly their sins were. He also said they would go to hell if the didn't repent.

We will be hated or loved . It is the light we bring that causes offence. Use some common sense. If you go to a party full of fornication. People will (should) see you NOT doing likewise. They then ask you why??? Do you keep quiet? Do you say 'ignore me and carry on'? 'I wont judge you'....'To each their own'...'we all have different opnions of what is wrong and mine is currently different'. Or do you say, 'well I don't, because it is written that we must not fornicate'.

Every fornicator will naively accuse you of judging them and you will be thrown out as a self righteous Christian. You can quote scripture with a smile. You can quote it slowly. Quote it backwards. Quote it in a different language. The bottom line is, if you quote scripture and stand by it, you will be hated and cause offence! If we don't, how dare we call ourselves Christians!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wish I could take you to some real bible study sessions
I wish knew Christ than you would find He is nothing like what people think.

Judge not lest ye be judged,

I hope you are as good as Jesus??

In All His Love

Axehead

May 9, 2012
The Lord was harsh to the religious, hypocritical community but kind to the sinners. That is why He was called the friend of the sinners. He did not beat a man that was already down. But He could not stand people using God and their religious position to elevate themselves above their fellow man and take advantage of them. He certainly did not mince words with the religious hypocrites.

Some stories that come to mind regarding the downtrodden.

But first, we have this scripture:

Isa_42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
Mat_12:20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.

See, it was even prophecied of Him that He would be merciful to the bruised and battered, the downtrodden. Many of the sinners that He showed kindness and love to, had been beaten down by the religious system of their day.

1. Zacchaeus
2. Mary Magdalene
3. The Woman at the Well

You can still reject sin and be firm about your commitment to Jesus while extending your arms to the sinner with the Love of God. Isn't that what Jesus does? He doesn't compromise His relationship with the Father in order to love us. And how He loves us!!

How would you act if you had just caught someone in the act of adultery? We know how Jesus acted. Let's not be like the religious leaders who only wanted to use that circumstance to test Jesus and try to entrap Him. Do you try to entrap your brothers?

Yes, Jesus is the Friend of sinners. Who else can they go to for help? We are told by Jesus that the religious leaders "bind heavy burdens on others, that they will not even carry", so they knew they could not go to them for help. The religious leaders would just tell them to "do more" good works and everything would be ok. Jesus' love is not a co-dependent love where He will compromise everything just to have our love. No, not at all. Jesus love is a love that is strong and pure and honest and will tell us the truth, but will give a lot of grace with it. Because, He is GRACE. How many of you can say that when Jesus first came to you, you knew you were a sinner and yet His love was irresistible? You see, He does not allow us to stay in our sin. He calls us to leave everything, especially our sin, to follow Him. And why not? After you have encountered the love of God, you gladly will forsake your sin. If you have had the love of God shed abroad in your heart, then go slosh on someone. You know what slosh means? Have you ever gone to Sea World and sat in the front row? They get the killer whale to jump up close to the edge and when the whale comes down into the water, he sloshes water on the first ten rows and the people get completely wet.

That is what Jesus did when He came to earth. He sloshed (loved) big time on people and they not only left everything for Him, but gladly died for Him. They got completely drenched with the love of God. This love of God that causes men to do these things is something special, eh? Do you know this love? Then go slosh on someone, tomorrow and watch God move in that person's heart. You see, this world is as phony as a 3 dollar bill and everyone expects everyone else to take advantage of them. Rarely do people run into other people that genuinely love them and care about them. That is what you are here for. That is what God has called you for. Love them as He loved you. Freely you have received, freely give!

Axehead