Today: House Passes Bill to Force TikTok Sale From Chinese Owner or Ban the App

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tik Tok is Chinese government espionage and a threat to national security.

How can anyone align with that social media platform? Just the name should warn every American.

Tik Tok ...the clock is ticking. It's only a matter of time...before the Chinese Communist Party media outlet owns every users personal information.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe some copy/paste is in order here? I couldnt open it to read it until I signed up with the NY Times. I didnt want to do that.

I've seen a few tik tok videos on you tube but it didnt make me want to go be a tik tokker, lol. I hope they do shut it down! Especially if it does belong to China, lol.

Reactions: Chains Broken

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's better. I dont understand how they can even do this? I seem to recall a few years back that they gave the www away to (someone) overseas so they wouldn't have all the pesky Constitutional issues about it. Get it out of the United States. Now they're trying to control it and taking votes? How? Banning China sure sounds good, but if they're using US Legislation to ban tik tok then they must be the owners of the internet.

So maybe they never did give it away.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's better. I dont understand how they can even do this? I seem to recall a few years back that they gave the www away to (someone) overseas so they wouldn't have all the pesky Constitutional issues about it. Get it out of the United States. Now they're trying to control it and taking votes? How? Banning China sure sounds good, but if they're using US Legislation to ban tik tok then they must be the owners of the internet.

So maybe they never did give it away.
I thought government did own and control the Net.

2 years ago.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TikToc is a clock reference.

Giving someone a clock in Chinese culture is wishing them to die.

Not very much good will in that.

This has been discussed for a while now....it's a wonder how it's taken this long for congress to act.

And I'm wondering exactly how they are going to actually enact this. (More than one way to accomplish this)
Will a proxy server allow people to bypass the block? A dynamic IP address allow access?
What about those who make their living on Social Media?

What about Freedom of Speech?
Will the Senate ratify the house bill?
What if an American or British company created a copycat version? Would a Chinese lawsuit be successful?

Then there's the questions about the many many political bots. Foreign countries with an agenda promoting divisive ideas into our political system....there are propagandists farms in Russia, Albania, Iran and elsewhere. Are they going to flip the switch on them too?
(Dirty secret was that the Democrats used them in favor of Joe Biden in 2020 and now they are actully helping Trump instead during this election...they knew it then and now)

Lots of questions...not a lot of answers.

Lots of questions they do not want to answer. Like about congressman and insider trading.

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Main reason government wants to ban it, they worry about TikTOK influencers changing their election agendas influenced by China government.
Well so what, people are already influenced during elections by social media.
What amazes me is how 'brainwashed' people can get by the things they approve of, like they lose their minds dont need TikToc for that we have Facebook, Google, and the Nightly News shows.

Your info is already being stolen and used without your consent; you have to expect that today with all the digital things going on.

If TikTok is sold to be a separated business, then it will no different than META, Google, Facebook, youtube etc.. just another social media app the government has said. They have congressional hearings all the time about social media companies influence over elections.

Them fussing about the Chinese, is just a distraction from things that matter a lot more in government, like the evil policies they write into the laws.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Main reason government wants to ban it, they worry about TikTOK influencers changing their election agendas influenced by China government.
Well so what, people are already influenced during elections by social media.
What amazes me is how 'brainwashed' people can get by the things they approve of, like they lose their minds dont need TikToc for that we have Facebook, Google, and the Nightly News shows.

Your info is already being stolen and used without your consent; you have to expect that today with all the digital things going on.

If TikTok is sold to be a separated business, then it will no different than META, Google, Facebook, youtube etc.. just another social media app the government has said. They have congressional hearings all the time about social media companies influence over elections.

Them fussing about the Chinese, is just a distraction from things that matter a lot more in government, like the evil policies they write into the laws.
I think it a mistake to underestimate China.

When we went on vacation in Hawaii years ago a tour guide told us China owns much of their real estate.

Supposedly those,we buy any home commercials,some say you don't even have to pack,they'll buy as is , are fronts for China. They don't want the home. They want the land.

I can believe this.

A few years ago I made an inquiry with our bank regarding our mortgage.

Turns out Wells Fargo was a third party agent. They referred to "the lender" who had given them the money so I could purchase the home. It wasn't the banks money.

Our mailman has a friend whose mortgage has been sold to other companies who assume his note 12 times.

I wouldn't doubt China is behind all those lenders.

Reactions: Jack

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CNN 3/14 Video

What we covered here​

• The House passed legislation that could ban TikTok in the US unless the app parts ways with its Chinese parent company, ByteDance. It's a major challenge to one of the world’s most popular social media platforms, used by 170 million Americans.
  • If enacted, the bill, which passed on a bipartisan 352-65 vote, would give TikTok about five months to separate from ByteDance, or app stores in the US would be banned from hosting it on their platforms. It’s not yet clear what the fate of the measure will be in the Senate.
  • Lawmakers supportive of the bill have argued TikTok poses a national security threat because the Chinese government could use its intelligence laws against ByteDance, forcing it to hand over the data of US app users.
  • TikTok blasted the House vote and urged the Senate to "consider the facts." China’s foreign ministry responded angrily ahead of the vote, calling it an "act of bullying."