"Traditional" Church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B.L.

Jun 25, 2007
Hello
smile.gif
I am trying to find a traditional church service, where they sing hymns, I have tried for years now to get used to the services where they sing off of the screen and raise hands. The one I go to now sounds like a rock concert,it just isn't my style for church service. I grew up in a United Methodist church but it got too far out in left field and I had to leave. However I really liked their music style and overall structure. Any ideas?

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
I think if it is traditional singing you want, you will have to shop around. The United Methodist hymnal has some great songs in it, so that is always a possibility. Please note that not all of them are liberal. There is division within. Since you like them, you might also like an Anglican or Episcopalian service, though those will tend to be a bit more "churchy". However, you will find troubles concerning homosexuality there as well, if that is your issue of concern.A Catholic service won't sport the homosexuality problem and can have nice music, but you would more likely find guitar music. Too bad, since there are many great Latin songs. Perhaps try a small Presbyterian or Lutheran service? Either one can have an organ and traditional singing and traditional order of service. There are different kinds of each, though. I know of at least three kinds of Lutheran divisions. The Missouri synod one is similar in order of worship to the United Methodist. I can't say about the ELCA.My experience with mega churches is they tend to the rock thing. But often they have a smaller Wednesday service that isn't so directed to the unchurched. So if you skip Sunday, you might have better luck? I suspect that is real dicey, though. Often their congregation consists of people who bailed on traditional services.If foreign language is your thing, try an Eastern church of some variety. Though some of those have switched to English. Also, often they don't have pews. :eek: They would seem very "churchy" to you. Trying them would require some bravery.Anyway, those are a few thoughts. I've also heard good singing in Congregational style services. They hire their own pastors, so it would depend on the assembly themselves, what they like.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
Open Brethren churches. My experience of them is that they love hymns. Me, I'll stick with the Rock concert.