Trying to change

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

muddydawg

Apr 22, 2011
My name is William, I live in the Florida Panhandle with my loving wife and beautiful daughter. Lately I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with Christ and my faith. I was raised in a Presbyterian home occassionally attending Sunday Service or Sunday School. My relationship with God or my faith never really took root and became a foundation for my life I am afraid. I spent my adolescence in sin and up until just a couple of years ago (I am now 28) decided to try and change. I struggle, daily with my faith. I've recently began an undertaking of studying the Bible and it's contents to try and better understand and strengthen my fragile faith. I am reaching out to the community on this forum to lend a hand in my journey to try and turn my life around. I've done some violent and horrible things but feel in my heart that God is calling me to turn away from the wickedness of my past and be reborn! I will be posting more often with questions that I feel need to be answered by people who have experienced being saved and reborn. Please feel free to help! I need it! Thanks for taking the time!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My name is William, I live in the Florida Panhandle with my loving wife and beautiful daughter. Lately I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with Christ and my faith. I was raised in a Presbyterian home occassionally attending Sunday Service or Sunday School. My relationship with God or my faith never really took root and became a foundation for my life I am afraid. I spent my adolescence in sin and up until just a couple of years ago (I am now 28) decided to try and change. I struggle, daily with my faith. I've recently began an undertaking of studying the Bible and it's contents to try and better understand and strengthen my fragile faith. I am reaching out to the community on this forum to lend a hand in my journey to try and turn my life around. I've done some violent and horrible things but feel in my heart that God is calling me to turn away from the wickedness of my past and be reborn! I will be posting more often with questions that I feel need to be answered by people who have experienced being saved and reborn. Please feel free to help! I need it! Thanks for taking the time!

Hi William!

welcomecat.gif

Thanks for sharing your testimony...praise the Lord for your decision to continue on the path that brings abundant life and eternal hope which is in Christ Jesus.
Looking forward to your posts...:)

Be Blessed!!!

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Hello dear William, please feel free to seek others here to help you along in your walk...I am so glad that our Heavenly Father has called you and you answered...So brother of mine, be blessed and filled with the Holy Spirit and let Him guide you in all you do and all you seek....

Love you
Shep

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome William. :)

I can only assume what your past is or was, but here is some advice that I received, and I feel it best to pass on. God's grace transcends all of the past. Ironically, I'm listening to a song about the prodigal son as I type this. We are all sinners, and we all fall short just as the Bible says (Romans 3:23). Christianity has a bad habit of pretending that some issues are "worse" than others. Brother, we all struggle. We might like to think we're not as bad off as others, but that's rarely the case. Frankly the past can be a trap, and often we are doomed to repeat it. Take that from experience.

The really crazy thing is Jesus knows all of that and everything we've done. He is the one to keep you from repeating it. I don't know what you've done in the past. My advice, however, is to find someone you can speak to who is a Christian influence. If it's something you've done to a spouse, it's often better to find someone else - like another trusted and Godly man. If it is someone else, then your spouse can be great to talk to provided she can help with the Godly influence.

I'd love to simply say "Jesus!" and tell you it will all get better on it's own, but being a Christian is more than a little bit messy. Jesus is a cure for everything, but it's not easy and simple as some formula.

When God is talking to the Israelites in Jeremiah, he says this:

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Later on:

Isaiah 43:18
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.

That has not changed for us.

The Israelites did some pretty bad things - all across the board. This is a Biblical blueprint for getting started. You must come to grips with the past and realize it is the past. A lot of people teach some funky stuff about grace, but the reality is the slate is wiped clean for us when we are saved. However, that's just the beginning of it all. I mean it seems like your heart is in the right place, and you've come to the place to get help. We're all traveling down our own roads as the body.

Hope to see ya around!