Turkey Holding 50 US Nuclear Bombs?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FoxNews
Turkey holding 50 US nuclear bombs 'hostage' at air base, report says

Published October 15, 2019

Officials are reviewing plans to evacuate up to 50 U.S. nuclear bombs that have long been stored at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey in the wake of Ankara's military offensive in northern Syria, according to a report.

The weapons are now essentially being held "hostage" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a senior official told The New York Times on Monday.

The Cold War-era B61 nuclear bombs are said to be located 100-250 miles from the Syrian border, according to The Guardian. A former U.S. official told the outlet that Turkish diplomats responded to suggestions about moving the bombs by saying Turkey would start to develop its own.

"The potential problems have been discussed for over a decade," the former official said. "And now we’ve finally gotten to a point where this is a problem that we can’t ignore anymore."

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FoxNews
Turkey holding 50 US nuclear bombs 'hostage' at air base, report says

Published October 15, 2019

Officials are reviewing plans to evacuate up to 50 U.S. nuclear bombs that have long been stored at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey in the wake of Ankara's military offensive in northern Syria, according to a report.

The weapons are now essentially being held "hostage" by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a senior official told The New York Times on Monday.

The Cold War-era B61 nuclear bombs are said to be located 100-250 miles from the Syrian border, according to The Guardian. A former U.S. official told the outlet that Turkish diplomats responded to suggestions about moving the bombs by saying Turkey would start to develop its own.

"The potential problems have been discussed for over a decade," the former official said. "And now we’ve finally gotten to a point where this is a problem that we can’t ignore anymore."

It appears the bombs are Pre-Trump era, with the statement that talks have been going on over a decade relating to the bombs removal?

The B61 bombs have a TNT rating at 340 kilotons each, Scary!

I just checked out World War II and the bombs dropped on Japan, the first bomb "Little Boy" had a mere 15 kiloton rating, the second bomb "Fat Man" had a 21 kiloton rating, that both killed 250,000+ people

Could you imagine Turkey having 50 US bombs with 17X the power of the big bomb on Japan in World War II, 340 kiloton ratings?

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears the bombs are Pre-Trump era, with the statement that talks have been going on over a decade relating to the bombs removal?

The B61 bombs have a TNT rating at 340 kilotons each, Scary!

I just checked out World War II and the bombs dropped on Japan, the first bomb "Little Boy" had a mere 15 kiloton rating, the second bomb "Fat Man" had a 21 kiloton rating, that both killed 250,000+ people

Could you imagine Turkey having 50 US bombs with 17X the power of the big bomb on Japan in World War II, 340 kiloton ratings?
Referring to @bluedragon's post, I would think having 50 nuclear bombs as hostage would be suicide for the enemy holding them in their custody.

Those bombs having an activation code necessary before they activate would make them hazardous.

If we wanted to eliminate that enemy, couldn't the singular code for one bomb be entered in from here? So it detonates and wiped out Erdogan and Turkey?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Who has the codes and who has the capability to launch or deliver? If the US doesn't provide the codes ......nothing but paper weights..
If they had them for that long the detonators may have been completely replaced with something custom.

I also doubt remote detination is possible, would be a security risk. We are also talking old technology.

A pre-emptive strike to destroy the nukes and disperse the radioactive material would have been the best option. If the detination of the explosive charges is not perfect it won't go nuclear. So to destroy them with bunker busters should be safe.

Reactions: Truth7t7 and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Referring to @bluedragon's post, I would think having 50 nuclear bombs as hostage would be suicide for the enemy holding them in their custody.

Those bombs having an activation code necessary before they activate would make them hazardous.

If we wanted to eliminate that enemy, couldn't the singular code for one bomb be entered in from here? So it detonates and wiped out Erdogan and Turkey?
No remote authentication go codes for these bombs...old technology. Only by physical manual manipulation....and then other essential component(s) require proper attachment to these bombs as part of the preparatory phase for use.....and we have these in-hand...therefore, no chance of denotation....period.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the problems with the Russian Nukes ....is the mechanisms possibly not updated. When Trump came into the White House, there was a move to bring all that hardware up to date. Dad babysat nucleare missiles in Cheyenne in the eve of his career. I got the funny stories about the locations. Ranchers with Buffalo .....that fell in love with the Air Force Blue trucks. They can tear up a truck in no time. The flock of sheep that followed a snow drift in a blizzard, over the perimeter fence. Sheep don't understand English ......they ignored the warnings about crossing the perimeter fence all met their demise when the machine guns opened up. Always wondered if the Rancher got more than market price for his sheep.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No remote authentication go codes for these bombs...old technology. Only by physical manual manipulation....and then other essential component(s) require proper attachment to these bombs as part of the preparatory phase for use.....and we have these in-hand...therefore, no chance of denotation....period.
OK . Good to know

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in the USAF during the Cold War era and later on....one area I was familiar with was the nukes.....the big and small payloads tactical and strategic and launching data.....
You are a great resource then for this discussion.

Hugs
Bless you for your service.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks BP...and the useful info is not to be deluged as it's still classified

Thank you for your service. We followed the U-2 and SR-71 programs. It was not until my Dad's General retired that he became useless ...... went to babysitting missiles underground. What a way to e and career.

At least we saw the Rat Patrol shooting TV events at Edwards, Saw Clint Eastwood shoot movies, saw the Thunderbirds every day. I stood in the lobby of his office in the CIA. More modern would be NCIS locations .......Bases on bases. It wasn't until about 40 that I broke the habit of getting ready to stand when the House lights went down for a movie to start. Saw plenty of bombing runs, rocket engine tests ........saw things flying from Area 51 and section 4 that boggle the mind.

Reactions: APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your service. We followed the U-2 and SR-71 programs. It was not until my Dad's General retired that he became useless ...... went to babysitting missiles underground. What a way to e and career.

At least we saw the Rat Patrol shooting TV events at Edwards, Saw Clint Eastwood shoot movies, saw the Thunderbirds every day. I stood in the lobby of his office in the CIA. More modern would be NCIS locations .......Bases on bases. It wasn't until about 40 that I broke the habit of getting ready to stand when the House lights went down for a movie to start. Saw plenty of bombing runs, rocket engine tests ........saw things flying from Area 51 and section 4 that boggle the mind.
Edwards in league with area 51....lots of experimentation out there in the tumbleweeds.

SR-71.....virtually flying in low earth orbit...still holds records...

So your Dad was a LCC commander at one/several of the remote nuke missiles launch centers then? I did that in Montana, amongst many other things. I had 5 AFSCs...career paths..an unusual bird to say the least...26 years in all

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edwards in league with area 51....lots of experimentation out there in the tumbleweeds.

SR-71.....virtually flying in low earth orbit...still holds records...

So your Dad was a LCC commander at one/several of the remote nuke missiles launch centers then? I did that in Montana, amongst many other things. I had 5 AFSCs...career paths..an unusual bird to say the least...26 years in all

Most people don't realize just how big Edwards, Area 51 and Section 4 actually are. There is a full size Battleship with no water, sitting in the desert. That was during a time where they were working on photographing and expanding capabilities of satellites.

I had a salesman that asked if I had ever stopped to look at an aircraft sitting all alone with nothing around ....."No, I was smarter than that." There is a public highway that cuts across the north end of the base ......a base without walls or fences ......He saw a F-104 sitting alone and decided to take a tour. "I'll bet you have a file like I have. At least four hours......He said "I got out, climbed the step ladder and suddenly they came from everywhere." Told him "The sign says DO NOT ....." "What are yours?" "I walked in on the advance Secret Service team for Jimmy Carter at Yellowstone" I saw the house before President Carter did. I was delivering for GTE and they gave me the wrong address to deliver a communications satellite ......Secret Service had a ball with me, the next was Dad getting another level of Top Secret for the SR-71. Finally, Montreal stopped me the week before 9-11. I had Protection Relay Equipment for Hydro Quebec ...... Montreal and United Airlines were real curious about what I was carrying.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people don't realize just how big Edwards, Area 51 and Section 4 actually are. There is a full size Battleship with no water, sitting in the desert. That was during a time where they were working on photographing and expanding capabilities of satellites.

I had a salesman that asked if I had ever stopped to look at an aircraft sitting all alone with nothing around ....."No, I was smarter than that." There is a public highway that cuts across the north end of the base ......a base without walls or fences ......He saw a F-104 sitting alone and decided to take a tour. "I'll bet you have a file like I have. At least four hours......He said "I got out, climbed the step ladder and suddenly they came from everywhere." Told him "The sign says DO NOT ....." "What are yours?" "I walked in on the advance Secret Service team for Jimmy Carter at Yellowstone" I saw the house before President Carter did. I was delivering for GTE and they gave me the wrong address to deliver a communications satellite ......Secret Service had a ball with me, the next was Dad getting another level of Top Secret for the SR-71. Finally, Montreal stopped me the week before 9-11. I had Protection Relay Equipment for Hydro Quebec ...... Montreal and United Airlines were real curious about what I was carrying.
I got a little lost in your post.....Yes, I do know Edwards is a flat fenceless, open large base covering many square miles indeed.

No stories to tell of ignorant folk being in the wrong places and getting caught by the authorities at Edwards or Area 51...sections xxx.

I worked in various capacities and not the normal airman as I already said....I got bored with one area and challenged myself to/into another work path....first enlisted as a nuke missile comm maintenance/repair dude. Then as a programmer of a few languages...then as an officer as one of about 200 USAF astronautical engineers with a formal aerospace engineering background. Then as a Minuteman Launch control officer/commander...operations world not engineering anymore...then a computer systems/engineering type....all these disciplines worked together...gave me deeper insight and was really more challenging...I loved it...I got the most out of the USAF...they were good to/for me...although not necessarily to my children and wife living as roaming gypsies...