Turn the other cheek

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.
41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
Matt 5:39-41

It has been reported some church goers have been saying this is too weak a response to a threat, even woke or liberal.
There is an interesting question, what is Jesus meaning by this command?
Evil people provoke a response with insults, small things that demean another. They do this to suggest the other party
is a threat to them and they are only interested in status or winning an argument, or gaining control. Sometimes it is to
test people to see if they can tell the difference between real issues in life and just playing around.

The world is full of deception and jokers, people who do one thing but actually mean another. So it is actually weak to
respond to provocation, because it causes a fight over nothing, which is what the evil party want so they can bring you down.
Strength and love mean giving in and allowing space for the other to take what they want, and to love them despite their
behaviour acknowledging their need for dominance but equally showing it has no value. Sadly if you make enemies of strangers
how can you tell who are your friends? Too many times I have seen people who provoke like this have no friends but believe
such bullying shows their true value.

It is ironic therefore to me when a church goer believes Jesus's words are weakness, because this tends to suggest they actually
agree with the bully and domination, which suggests further they do not know Jesus and love in their hearts.

Many claim the title Christian but actually do not know or listen to Jesus, or even question what His words actually mean.
I met a pastor who asked did he have to love others. Odd when the second greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as
you love yourself.

What many miss is this is not loving others more than themselves, but as they would like others to deal with them, they should deal
with others. This needs to be balanced with a level of care of oneself, but the principle is fairness and walking in others shoes.
This is linked to turning the other cheek, because it is not a denial of ones rights, but loving the sinner who is wrapped
up in domination and self destruction.

God bless you

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.
41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
Matt 5:39-41

It has been reported some church goers have been saying this is too weak a response to a threat, even woke or liberal.
There is an interesting question, what is Jesus meaning by this command?
Evil people provoke a response with insults, small things that demean another. They do this to suggest the other party
is a threat to them and they are only interested in status or winning an argument, or gaining control. Sometimes it is to
test people to see if they can tell the difference between real issues in life and just playing around.

The world is full of deception and jokers, people who do one thing but actually mean another. So it is actually weak to
respond to provocation, because it causes a fight over nothing, which is what the evil party want so they can bring you down.
Strength and love mean giving in and allowing space for the other to take what they want, and to love them despite their
behaviour acknowledging their need for dominance but equally showing it has no value. Sadly if you make enemies of strangers
how can you tell who are your friends? Too many times I have seen people who provoke like this have no friends but believe
such bullying shows their true value.

It is ironic therefore to me when a church goer believes Jesus's words are weakness, because this tends to suggest they actually
agree with the bully and domination, which suggests further they do not know Jesus and love in their hearts.

Many claim the title Christian but actually do not know or listen to Jesus, or even question what His words actually mean.
I met a pastor who asked did he have to love others. Odd when the second greatest commandment is to love your neighbour as
you love yourself.

What many miss is this is not loving others more than themselves, but as they would like others to deal with them, they should deal
with others. This needs to be balanced with a level of care of oneself, but the principle is fairness and walking in others shoes.
This is linked to turning the other cheek, because it is not a denial of ones rights, but loving the sinner who is wrapped
up in domination and self destruction.

God bless you
You're right on the nose, friend!

People should be encouraged, to look and seek truth out, seekers for truth do such things. It's not about dominating it's about sharing the truth, because of having love for God... love for God comes first, it's not love your neighbor first - it's love God first - then love your neighbor as yourself.

If you love yourself: it is said you will cherish to have knowledge or wisdom.

Proverbs 19:8 To acquire wisdom is to love yourself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to me, there is nothing wrong with sharing the truth by the spirit which you have come to know. People may reject that, they may look at you weird, some people may try to bring you down or fill you doubts or even not have anything to do with you. Keep trusting God, and of course loving your neighbor as yourself, all the best, and thank you for the good word this morning, @WalkInLight

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus speaking...

Luke 22:35-36
35 And He said unto them, "When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing?" And they said, "Nothing."

Then said He unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
KJV

How does what Jesus said there FORCE us to UNDERSTAND that, and where He said to 'turn the other cheek'?

It should be simple... to understand the difference.

Turning the other cheek is with the situation of preaching The Gospel, and the devil's servants hate you for it, and slap you on the cheek. It's about situations when we are NOT IN DANGER OF DEATH.

But Christ's command to GO BUY A SWORD is for SELF-DEFENSE against those who DO INTEND US BODILY HARM.

And I get so tired of hearing the stupidity from Communists who keep trying to tell us to disarm ourselves, attempting to use The Bible against Christ's servants who have the God-given Right to defend theirselves!

That also includes their STUPID LIES about the Crusades history, which Christian armies started Crusades in the 1st century A.D. to Jerusalem IN ORDER TO PROTECT CHRISTIANS TRAVELING THERE from bandits and radical Muslims who were stealing from and murdering Christians! Those bandits and radical Muslims CAUSED the Christian Crusades, not the other way around!

Reactions: Patrick1966

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I always thought of the above as meaning we do not take revenge on another who attacks us. Sometimes it can be an attack of words....so we simply ignore their words, do not respond in an antagonistic manner.

Also, we can remember that the Lord will deal with the person.

Reactions: MatthewG and Davy

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What many miss is this is not loving others more than themselves,

When we're calm and at peace we all agree on this. Unfortunately, life often gets in the way. We're in the flesh and most of us, including degenerate sinners like me, behave according to the flesh rather than the spirit.

I often lay my head down on my pillow and pray to Jesus and ask him to forgive me for being unkind to others. I sometimes do nice things for others but I'm also quick to anger when I feel mistreated by another.

I guess I'm a work in progress. One day Jesus will finish that process and then I will no longer be a big fat meanie!

Reactions: Lambano

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought of the above as meaning we do not take revenge on another who attacks us. Sometimes it can be an attack of words....so we simply ignore their words, do not respond in an antagonistic manner.

This is a walk of a lifetime. I used to ignore people when they were rude, and it tended to mean people felt I could be ignored and walked all over.

There is often cultural and social interplay to understand another or find out if they are joking or being real or just playing around. I found that ignoring an attack etc. caused me harm because I did not recognise I was hurt and rightly so. Another layer was understanding the way something was said, are they moody, protective, miss-understanding me, aggressive, actually needing attention and support, or need a rebuke because they are just lashing out at those they love because they know it is safe. Literally all these things are in the mix, as well as miss-understanding something I am doing. A classic is seeing my daughter just after mid-day and saying good morning. She feels I am saying this sarcastically as a judgement for getting up late, when it was just a greeting and I did not notice it was past mid day. I pointed out I was just greeting her, and she climbed down.

So turning the other cheek can be a fuller communication to properly set the situation. Silence or not responding can be interpreted as what they call passive aggressive. It is the lack of response that makes the other party unsure if they are loved or hated. Sometime a sarcastic comment is said because of insecurity about being appreciated, a kind of test, and a positive response can mean acceptance despite the sarcasm. I know myself I can go off into insecurity and paranoia sometimes, when actually nothing is really meant. It is why "I love you", "I appreciate you" can actually mean so much. I set out to say this more because it makes others know I am intending good not harm, upbuilding not to knock others down. In a world of competition and everyone fighting to dominate, support and encouragement can be hard to find.

God bless you

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we're calm and at peace we all agree on this. Unfortunately, life often gets in the way. We're in the flesh and most of us, including degenerate sinners like me, behave according to the flesh rather than the spirit.

I often lay my head down on my pillow and pray to Jesus and ask him to forgive me for being unkind to others. I sometimes do nice things for others but I'm also quick to anger when I feel mistreated by another.

I guess I'm a work in progress. One day Jesus will finish that process and then I will no longer be a big fat meanie!

And that has what... to do with a murderer coming at you or your child with a knife or gun??

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good insights, Deb.

Reactions: Debp

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Always good to be honest before God.

All people are a slave to sin and do things for themselves rather than God - when they are not abiding in the teachings of Christ.

It's a wonderful know the enriching love that comes from God to be open with him about our issues and even asking him to help us to become more faith, and even help us by the spirit.

Luke 11:13 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Interesting insights, P1966.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a walk of a lifetime. I used to ignore people when they were rude, and it tended to mean people felt I could be ignored and walked all over.

There is often cultural and social interplay to understand another or find out if they are joking or being real or just playing around. I found that ignoring an attack etc. caused me harm because I did not recognise I was hurt and rightly so. Another layer was understanding the way something was said, are they moody, protective, miss-understanding me, aggressive, actually needing attention and support, or need a rebuke because they are just lashing out at those they love because they know it is safe. Literally all these things are in the mix, as well as miss-understanding something I am doing. A classic is seeing my daughter just after mid-day and saying good morning. She feels I am saying this sarcastically as a judgement for getting up late, when it was just a greeting and I did not notice it was past mid day. I pointed out I was just greeting her, and she climbed down.

So turning the other cheek can be a fuller communication to properly set the situation. Silence or not responding can be interpreted as what they call passive aggressive. It is the lack of response that makes the other party unsure if they are loved or hated. Sometime a sarcastic comment is said because of insecurity about being appreciated, a kind of test, and a positive response can mean acceptance despite the sarcasm. I know myself I can go off into insecurity and paranoia sometimes, when actually nothing is really meant. It is why "I love you", "I appreciate you" can actually mean so much. I set out to say this more because it makes others know I am intending good not harm, upbuilding not to knock others down. In a world of competition and everyone fighting to dominate, support and encouragement can be hard to find.

God bless you
More good insights.

All that is known to me is,

Our human nature is to strike back when someone does us wrong. To win one over all them.

Jesus denied himself, for the benefit of all of us - in which now people have to choose to remain in him, and deny themselves.

Hard things to do.

Paul wrote to timothy, in his second letter: 3:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

This suffering = enduring.

Strong's Concordance
hupomenó: to stay behind, to await, endure
Original Word: ὑπομένω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hupomenó
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-om-en'-o)
Definition: to stay behind, to await, endure
Usage: (a) I remain behind, (b) I stand my ground, show endurance, (c) I endure, bear up against, persevere.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 5278 hypoménō – literally, remaining under (the load), bearing up (enduring); for the believer, this uniquely happens by God's power (cf. 1 Thes 3:5). See 5281 (hypomonē).