Using foul language

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
On the job site, it does not bother me at all, as they are doing work that most people will not in do anyway.

It's not the word so much but it's how it's used that can make the difference. a mate says stupid childish words like stuffing flipping etc when he is around his wife's family, and that to me is just as offencive because he is still a nut.

I hear people say, o my god. <_<

And jesus ^^^ christ and that one gets to me, as they do not know what they are saying. :angry:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting to read the strong opinions against the use of swear words, but what about sarcasm and mocking and contemptuous language? Based on many of posts on this board this type of language is often used freely by many Christians. Is it ok? How is it different?

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Hey Strat, go ahead and show it, maybe we'll get some new visitors from the promotion. While you're at it, might want to get your hands on a Greek copy of Philippians 3:8 so you can show all those people how the Bible uses the Koine Greek for the past tense of crap - and yes, I do mean a certain four letter word beginng with the letter "s" and ending with a "t."

Let's not forget who inspired every word of Scripture, of course, because he also inspired a reference to another God on the can and the report of Eglon's bowels being emptied out. ;)

I think God has his way of making points. I take issue with the GD term because it does disrespect God. I don't exactly go around dropping f-bombs each and every time I get mad at someone or something, either.

However, this crusade that Christians are heathens for uttering a curseword at an unguarded moment is nothing but legalism plain and simple. If it takes me dropping an s-word or a d-word to get a point across to a nonbeliver, well I think the above says God is on my side. If it evolves into me cussing right and left to get the attention of others for my own sake, well then, we have a problem.

Matthew 12:34 is not explicitly talking about cursing alone.

I never said any of that and don't know what it has to do with the passages in the bible that prohibit such lanquage,if you think its ok have at it i don't realy care,as far as an unguarded moment is concerned yes people have them...i am not on a crusade,crusaders meddle in other people's lives, so you will have to apply that accusation elsewhere.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting to read the strong opinions against the use of swear words, but what about sarcasm and mocking and contemptuous language? Based on many of posts on this board this type of language is often used freely by many Christians. Is it ok? How is it different?

Yes our words usually go too far...

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(Mat 15:18-19)

I suppose you can add 'out of the fingers and through the keyboard'.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes our words usually go too far...

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
(Mat 15:18-19)

I suppose you can add 'out of the fingers and through the keyboard'.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

I think righteous indignation is behind the sarcasm, mocking, and contemptuous language; perhaps anger or insecurity may be behind swearing.

Here is an interesting statistic - poor kids tend to hear 1500 to 2000 different words in their households - upper-middle class educated households 11,00 - 15,000 words. Most of the kids I work with do not have the language to express themselves - it is a small wonder why every other word is the 'F' word.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
In Australia nowdays i have people who come up to you at work and say, are you wining ? i find this very offencive. as to me it shows a great lack of morals and is contempt, like as if everything is a gamble in there foundations of life.

But also the word wicked, is used as as if it's good. how stupid !

I get people talking about women in the most degrading way possible at work. it is sickening to hear and this makes me so angry. they go to 3rd world nations and abuse women there and think they are just so cool. i could kill them !
Boy it's like these people are just as sick as the worse of the Nazis. and they use the word sick as if it's good as well. How moronic. and these young people have been brought up with political correctness.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an interesting statistic - poor kids tend to hear 1500 to 2000 different words in their households - upper-middle class educated households 11,00 - 15,000 words. Most of the kids I work with do not have the language to express themselves - it is a small wonder why every other word is the 'F' word.

Just from an unscientific sense, I have thought this, though perhaps not qualifying it in quite this manner. You also have to look at repetition in culture - IE: music or work environment. I know that I am more likely to curse when the people around me do it. There are many people whom express negative emotions almost wholly through cursing. A disagreement escalates quickly from "Hey I do disagree!" to "You _________!"

I'm generalizing here, but if they have the limited vocabulary at home, and then have it reinforced through culture, then no wonder it's all some people know.

I don't necessarily think that sarcasm, et al. are to the same degree. Sarcasm in the English Literature world is a higher form of criticism. If someone is truly trying to make a point, then sarcasm is acceptable. However, like anything else, it has the potential for abuse and it can be enraging. It's all just like the verses say - it comes out of the heart. If there is pure intention behind it, then that's one thing - the righteous indignation that you speak of, Aspen.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well, culture does change things and in 1600 when they were translating the KJV of the Bible, I'm sure the word "pisseth" was not considered vulgar. You could let loose with a string of Japanese curse words at work and nobody would raise an eyebrow either.

It is hard for me to envision an appropriate use of the "f" word or the "c" word or the "n" word for a Christian. Not from legalism, but from the position of glorifying God. If you can come up with a use for these words that glorifies God then go for it.

I know what it's like to be emmersed in a culture of swearing. I worked in a steel mill 30 years ago. If somebody asked a question and you wanted to answer in the affirmative, you never said "yes". You said "f-ing aye right!". It was no more offensive than saying "hi, how are you". One thing you always knew, though, was that there were Christians among you that did not do that. And nobody made fun of them, they just knew they were different.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Sadly, I have to agree with you.

I think righteous indignation is behind the sarcasm, mocking, and contemptuous language; perhaps anger or insecurity may be behind swearing.

Or perhaps it comes from the constant parade of unbiblical nonsense,ignorance and excuses for every sin under the sun...people calling themselves christians yet expressing constant confusion as to what man's problems are and what their source is when the bible plainly tells us and using "love" as the reason to ignore it all in favor secularism and making God popular among men,like the thread currently underway where peop-le can't seem to figure out whethyer or not truth should be modfied to suit people who care nothing about truth ....it's a bit wearing