Vatican Says World Ignores Christians In Mideast

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excerpt: The Vatican said Sunday that the international community is ignoring the plight of Christians in the Middle East, and that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the war in Iraq and political instability in Lebanon have forced thousands to flee the region. "International politics oftentimes pays no attention to the existence of Christians and the fact that they are victims, at times the first to suffer, goes unnoticed," the document said.
It also complained that some Christian fundamentalists use biblical texts to justify Israel's occupation "making the position of Christian Arabs an even more sensitive issue."
A further exodus of Chirstians from the Holy Land would be a great loss to the church in the "very place where (Christianity) was born," it said.

Vatican says world ignores Christians in Mideast
Victor L. Simpson and Menelaos Hadjicostis, The Associated Press, Cyprus | Sun, 06/06/2010 4:37 PM | World A | A | A |

The Vatican said Sunday that the international community is ignoring the plight of Christians in the Middle East, and that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the war in Iraq and political instability in Lebanon have forced thousands to flee the region.

A working paper released during Pope Benedict XVI's pilgrimage to Cyprus to prepare for a crisis summit of Middle East bishops in Rome in October also cites the "extremist current" unleashed by the rise of "political Islam" as a threat to Christians.

In his final Mass in Cyprus on Sunday, Benedict said he was praying that the October meeting will focus the attention of the international community "on the plight of those Christians in the Middle East who suffer for their beliefs."

He appealed for an "urgent and concerted international effort to resolve the ongoing tensions in the Middle East, especially in the Holy Land, before such conflicts lead to greater bloodshed."

The Vatican considers mostly Greek Orthodox Cyprus as a bridge between Europe and the Middle East and invited bishops to come to the Mediterranean island to receive the working paper to counter the exodus of thousands of Christians in recent years because of war and harsh economic conditions.

A group of around 100 Orthodox Christian demonstrators staged a peaceful protest against Benedict's visit outside the Nicosia sports stadium where the pope presided over Mass, holding aloft banners calling the pope "a heretic."

"We don't accept the pope's visit here," Telemachos Telemachou, 51, told The Associated Press. "The pope shouldn't have come ... We have nothing against Benedict as an individual, but with the heresy."

The Vatican estimates there are about 17 million Christians from Iran to Egypt, and that while many Christians have fled, new Catholic immigrants - mostly from the Philippines, India and Pakistan - have arrived in recent years in Arab countries to work as domestic or manual laborers.

The 46-page document said input from clerics in the region blamed the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories for inhibiting freedom of movement, the economy and religious life, alleging that access to holy places is dependent on military permission that is sometimes denied on security grounds.

It also complained that some Christian fundamentalists use biblical texts to justify Israel's occupation "making the position of Christian Arabs an even more sensitive issue."

It said "emigration is particularly prevalent" because of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but also blamed the "menacing social situation" in Iraq and political instability in once heavily Christian Lebanon.

A further exodus of Chirstians from the Holy Land would be a great loss to the church in the "very place where (Christianity) was born," it said.

"International politics oftentimes pays no attention to the existence of Christians and the fact that they are victims, at times the first to suffer, goes unnoticed," the document said.

It said the rise of "political Islam" in Arab, Turkish and Iranian societies and its extremist currents are "clearly a threat to everyone, Christians and Muslims alike."

With the rise of Islamic fundamentalism "attacks against Christians are increasing almost everywhere," it said.

It complained that Muslims often make no distinction between religion and politics "thereby relegating Christians to the precarious position of being considered non-citizens, despite the fact that they were citizens of their countries long before the rise of Islam."

And it lamented that Middle Eastern countries often identity Christianity with the West.

"History has made us a little flock," the document said. "However, through what we do, we can still become a presence which has great value."

The Vatican expects about 150 bishops to attend the Oct. 10-24 meeting in Rome.

The trip began under the cloud of a bishop slain in Turkey. But Benedict accepted that the motive was personal and not political or religious, and police have arrested the bishop's driver.

On Sunday, the pope paid tribute to Bishop Luigi Padovese, saying the cleric was committed to interreligious and cultural understanding. Benedict said the death "surprised and shocked all of us."

gator347

May 7, 2008
This also seems to be the case for Christians of Color. We can go to war in Europe to defend the minority but forget the Sudan.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="Verdana][size="2"]Palestinian Christians and the American Christian Right [/size][/font]​
[font="Verdana][size="2"]by Abe W. Atta[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]
One is struck by the indignity of the American Christian Right who conveniently drop from their memory tales of oppression experienced daily by their Palestinian Christian compatriots. Why conveniently you may ask?[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]And why has the influential Christian Right never been courageous to bat alongside their Palestinian Christian brothers and sisters - not in times of peace, not in war ![/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Thirty five years ago, one in five of the 'Arab' inhabitants of Palestine was Christian; now it is about 1 in 50. Once Bethlehem was 95% Christian; now Christians are a mere 15 per cent.[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Why? What brought about this catastrophic decline![/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]On the face of it the answer is obvious. Christians are leaving Palestine for the same reason that any Palestinian leaves: they see no future. But this does not explain why they are more inclined to leave then their Muslim compatriots.
Part of the reason, it seems to me - a ninth generation Christian born in Bethlehem - is that Christian Palestinians are treated by the West as non-people. Few outside the Middle East know they exist. Another is the persistent denial of their plight by a frighteningly influential American Christian Right. Despite their worship, rejoicing, suffering in the name of Christ, self condemnation and belittlement and yet they were not given any thought by millions of so- called American fundamentalist Christians; particularly by those who have visited the Holy Land during the past few decades. [/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Wake up Rev Gary Bauer, Rev Gerry Falwell and other setters of religious agendas. We are bleeding in spirit and flesh. A few hundred thousand of us are not made to feel worthy of reference in your prayers, let alone receive the support which you rightfully gave South Africans, the East Timorese and others [/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]How will you account in Heaven for your apathy to your very brothers and sisters' suffering and conveniently opt to pray for those who need it least. [/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Your support to us is NO LONGER considered anti Semitic as a few unprincipled conditioned you to believe.. Jews have suffered as we did and we acknowledge this. You need no longer to wait for a Palestinian holocaust to happen before you disperse your support unequivocally ! It is enough that a million of us are now scattered around this globe Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Lutherans, Evangelical and Baptists - with no right of return !
Do let us know how, when or if you plan to address our outcry. When will you start lobbying for us in your Senate and Congress, without being made to feel guilty, ahead of our expiry date.[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Yours,[/size][/font][font="Verdana][size="2"]
[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Abe W. Ata (Prof.)
[email protected][/size][/font]

gator347

May 7, 2008
Get a grip. It is not the Jews who are forcing the Christians out.

Why don't you try and read your Bible in the Sudan, Saudi Arabia.....? Just how good do the Christians have it in Iran?

And why are the Palestinians in Israel? They were kicked out of Jordan. Why does not one of these other counties want them in their lands?

There never was a Palestinian People. So who are they?

PLO official caught off guard making the following statement back in 1977:

From the Dutch newspaper Trouw published an interview with Palestine Liberation Organization executive committee member Zahir Muhsein. Here's what he said:

"The Palestinian people does not exist. The creation of a Palestinian state is only a means for continuing our struggle against the state of Israel for our Arab unity. In reality today there is no difference between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese. Only for political and tactical reasons do we speak today about the existence of a Palestinian people, since Arab national interests demand that we posit the existence of a distinct "Palestinian people" to oppose Zionism.

For tactical reasons, Jordan, which is a sovereign state with defined borders, cannot raise claims to Haifa and Jaffa, while as a Palestinian, I can undoubtedly demand Haifa, Jaffa, Beer-Sheva and Jerusalem. However, the moment we reclaim our right to all of Palestine, we will not wait even a minute to unite Palestine and Jordan"

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgotten Christians Not all displaced Palestinians are Muslims.

Anders Strindberg
The American Conservative
May 24, 2004 Issue

Excerpt: Christians find themselves under the hammer of the Israeli occupation to no less an extent than Muslims, yet America—supposedly a Christian country—stands idly by because its most politically influential Christians have decided that Palestinian Christians are acceptable collateral damage in their apocalyptic quest. “To be a Christian from the land of Christ is an honor,” says Abbas, a Palestinian Christian whose family lived in Jerusalem for many generations until the purge of 1948. “To be expelled from that land is an injury, and these Zionist Christians in America add insult.” Abbas is one of the handful of Palestinian Christians that could be described as Evangelical, belonging to a group that appears to be distantly related to the Plymouth Brethren. Cherishing the role of devil’s advocate, I had to ask him, “Is the State of Israel not in fact the fulfillment of God’s promise and a necessary step in the second coming of Christ?” Abbas looked at me briefly and laughed. “You’re kidding, right? You know what they do to our people and our land. If I thought that was part of God’s plan, I’d be an atheist in a second.”

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2004/may/24/00013/

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Iraqi Christians Fleeing to Jordan, Syria

Compass Direct News

Excerpt: "Christians in Iraq are becoming more and more of a minority, and they are being sacrificed for the sake of the war against terrorism taking place on the battlefield of Iraq," he said. "We feel depressed, because we are considered like a 'playing card' that outside forces can manipulate for their own aims.
Iraqi Christians said they do not want to leave their country, but without the needed recognition and support of their rights, staying there is becoming a more difficult proposition....

http://www.crosswalk.com/1289972/page0/

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bethlehem’s Forgotten Christians

Kristin Butler

Contributing Writer

December 23, 2008

Excerpt:It must be hard, I begin to think, when your national identity is so closely intertwined with a particular religious affiliation. The Palestinian Christians I speak with feel misunderstood. They are the last of the dwindling minority of Christians on the West Bank. They are not Muslims, but they are Palestinian. They do not support the extremist attacks, but they often feel that they are treated unjustly by the Israeli army. And for many Palestinian believers, the wall around their city feels like a prison.

Persecution watchdog Open Doors remains committed to reaching believers on both sides of that wall. I spoke with Dr. Carl Moeller, president of Open Doors USA, about his perspective on helping Christians on both sides of the conflict.

“We’re committed to strengthening Christian believers all over the world,” he told me, “Not only working with Palestinian Christians who are being persecuted – in this case, not only religiously but culturally, sensing pressure from both the Israeli army and the Islamic militants, but also the entire Christian community. Not only does Open Doors support Palestinian Christians, but also Messianic believers.”

Carl points to the rise in persecution of Messianic churches by Orthodox Christians, and notes that Open Doors sees its role as “providing resources and encouragement” to all believers in the area. The Christian community overall, he says, “just wants to live in peace and promote peace.”

I am a twenty-one-year-old Arab, Palestinian Christian young lady. My story began in Bethlehem and continues to grow and flourish in this land, the land of the Bible where everything once began. What a joy to live in the little town of Bethlehem, and what an agony at the same time!

Moeller also encouraged Western Christians raise awareness for those who face violations of their religious freedom in the West Bank. “Their plight needs to be remembered. It is marked by a decreasing population. Calling on authorities to protect and preserve the Christian community is essential.”

Grace, too, asked to be remembered in prayer.

“What we need is for the body of Christ to remember us, to know of us, to visit and fellowship with us,” she writes, “to come and see the real story and witness what is really happening, but above all to pray for us. Don’t forget the Palestinian Christians… We’re here and we exist.”

http://www.crosswalk.com/11597319/page0/

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!!!

You are King. What do you do?

King is not what I would want to be.
Jer. 10:23 O Lord I know that the way of a man is not in himself; it is not in man to direct his [own] steps.[sup]
[/sup]Eccl. 8:9 ... one man ruleth over another to his own hurt.
Psalm 146:3 Put not your faith in rulers, or in the son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
Psalm 40:4 Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie!

"God blesses those who are poor (in spirit) and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
This is something I have never shared before. From a very young age, I had a deep spiritual need. I loved going to church, reading the bible, and learning about God and his son, Jesus. Although I didn't quite understand what it was all about, and many teachings made no sense to me. But I had a childlike love for God that hadn't been contaminated yet and I felt very close to God. I would write letters to Him and place them on a window sill, and when the wind blew the letter out the window, I imagined God had taken the letter and was reading it. I would be outside playing and suddenly I would feel the urge to pray and would fall down on my knees and pray. I would also talk to God quite a bit as I walked through the woods near our house. It was almost like the woods was a cathedral. I'm not saying He would answer me audibly or appear to me but I just felt His presence, like he was right there with me.
Growing up in the South, my family and other people tried to influence me to view certain people as not as good as we were, less than human, less intelligent, with no rights, that it was okay to call them names, to hate them, put them down, even to hurt them physically, because of the color of their skin. But I knew this wasn't right, even from a very young age before I ever really knew who Jesus was or about his teachings. So I tried to be kind and compassionate to others and make friends with them. And as I grew older, I continued to be this way, even more so when I really started studying the word of God.
Then I became a Christian when I learned of the deep love that God has for us and the message and teachings of Jesus. Jesus, while on earth, spoke of how we are to treat each other and view each other. That Christians are a family of brothers and sisters who love each other and pray for each other. He spoke of a kingdom and he prayed for this kingdom to come, he said this meant good news for all of us because of the many blessings it will bring. He spoke of many things; faith, salvation, and a hope and a future. So I loved this and I was overcome with joy and happiness. I have had the opportunity to share this same message with many, many people.
I began to know and understand that I had spiritual brothers and sisters throughout the world. Many undergoing persecution, being put to death, suffering all sorts of trials. I began to learn the different causes of this and it troubled me.
I can remember when I was in elementary school, we were allowed to pray. But things have changed since then. I began to develop a particular dislike for politics when I learned certain facts about history. Political power over people, greed, the pursuit of power, world domination, with no regard for people anywhere.
As regards to my spiritual brothers and sisters in the Middle East, my heart is broken over what is happening to them, as well as those in other countries.
I have followed this conflict closely for ten years between Israel and Lebanon. And I have to say, all taken into account of what I have seen, heard, read and been told, this is by far the saddest thing I have ever witnessed in Christianity. I say it is the saddest because I thought I would never see the day when so many Christians would not show not only basic human compassion, but would have no love or regard for Christians in the Middle East. To believe only the Old Testament and act as though the New Testament doesn't exist. That Jesus' teachings don't exist, that his words are null and void. To not even want to pray for these Christians in the Middle East. And why? Once again, politics comes into play, this is what I have seen. Political aspirations, greed, pursuit of power, world domination. And as if that wasn't bad enough, we also have so-called Christian preachers teaching hate, racism; promoting very unchristian beliefs, and then use biblical texts to justify it.
Matt. 7[sup]15[/sup]"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. [sup]16[/sup]"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?

[sup]17[/sup]"So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.

[sup]18[/sup]"A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

[sup]19[/sup]"Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

[sup]20[/sup]"So then, you will know them by their fruits.

These are bad fruits: division, politics, lies, ethnic cleansing, hate, racism, murder, death, untold suffering, no love, not even for Christians, no peace, not even between Christians, the christian presence being systematically eliminated from the Middle East

These are good fruits; unity, truth, life, love for God and his word, love for Jesus and his teachings, believing the whole bible; love and peace especially between Christians, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, prayer for Christians worldwide

[sup]Gal. 5:22[/sup]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,[sup]23[/sup]gentleness, self-control...

Quote: "“What we need is for the body of Christ to remember us,..." "Pray for us".

gator347

May 7, 2008
So what do you do?

It's not as easy to correct problems as it is to complain. Just ask Obama.

Radical Muslims are ruthless. They hate ALL who are not like them.