Was air created?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible tells us that the Holy Spirit moved over the surface of the waters in the beginning. Genesis 1:2 :)
That was before air was created.

Air was created as a part of Day 2 [Genesis 1:6-8]. Prior to that, Earth was covered with lots & lots of water. The "surface" mentioned in Genesis 1:2 was the outer boundary of the physical universe, not the seas & oceans (which hadn't been formed, yet).

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That was before air was created.

Air was created as a part of Day 2 [Genesis 1:6-8]. Prior to that, Earth was covered with lots & lots of water. The "surface" mentioned in Genesis 1:2 was the outer boundary of the physical universe, not the seas & oceans (which hadn't been formed, yet).

I was answering her post about the Holy Spirit that is all. I believe that Genesis 1:11 is more likely as I am not sure whether the fish were in the sea at that time or whether air is need for the light, sun and moon or also for the gathering of land in one place. God knows.:)

Reactions: Sabertooth

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where does air come from according to the Bible? Was it air that YHWH breathed into Adam's nose? If so, how can air be created when it is a part of YHWH?
janc, I'm sorry, but this is verging on being utterly ridiculous!
God is transcendent, incorporeal, immutable, aseitic , and omnipresent. The are absolutely no physical properties whatsoever within the ontology of the supreme and almighty God, the Father.

You built your whole hypothesis based on the Bible's usage of anthropomorphism, or personification? The Bible says that God either breathed or spoke, and therefore you conclude that God had lungs, larynx, vocal chords, arteries and capillaries, that is, all the respiratory and auditory organs necessary to perform such a corporeal function, in order for the Scriptures to be valid?

God is capable of manipulating and exploiting His creation in any manner that he sees fit. This is no extraordinary feet for the omnipotent and transcendent Deity. If He is said to appear in a pillar of smoke or cloud of fire, we understand this to mean that God merely caused physical matter to react in a way appropriate for the circumstances. Not that God transformed, mutated into such elements, or physically handled them.

Janc, why would you employ such a hyper-literal interpretation, when clearly the over-arching theme throughout the Bible is God's incorporeal and incorruptible essence?

Agios

Jun 2, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does air come from according to the Bible? Was it air that YHWH breathed into Adam's nose? If so, how can air be created when it is a part of YHWH?
God created the earth in order for us to be able to live here, He prepared it first and then He created man. The atmosphere was here prior to Adam, God breathed Life into Adam.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God existed before creation. He does not need air to live. He is life. He created air. When He breathed into Adam, He breathed life into him. God is life. The Holy Spirit is not air. The Holy Spirit is God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit (not the holy bible). The Lord our God is one.
To replace the Holy Spirit with the bible is idolatry. The bible is not God. We are not to put anything before God, not even His word. Especially not our interpretation of His word. The Lord our God is holy and perfect. We are not. We need God to reveal His word to us.
He exists in eternity. It's why He told Moses to tell the people that "I Am" has sent you. Our minds cannot fathom Him. He is simply beyond our finite understanding. Which is why I say that He is awesome beyond words.
Our words are not able to adequately describe Him. Though He loves it when we try. He is the God of faith and He is the 3-dimensional God. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. His word is food for the hungry, and water for the thirsty. His word is Spirit and life. Shalom.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I asked the question, on what day did God create water? It seemed to just be there before God created light. Got no answer...

As for air, that might be firmament.

6 Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” 7 Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so. 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked the question, on what day did God create water? It seemed to just be there before God created light.
It was on Day 0 [Genesis 1:1-2]. We know from Genesis 1:6-8 that, up until Day 2, the "heavens" were made completely of (not yet separated) water.

"Then God said,
'Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.'​
Thus God made the firmament,
and divided the waters which were under the firmament
from the waters which were above the firmament;​
and it was so.
And God called the firmament Heaven.*
So the evening and the morning were the second day." Genesis 1:6-8 NKJV

*Since we know what became of the "lower" waters (they became oceans & seas on Day 5 [Genesis 1:9-10]), the aerosphere above them must be considered part of said firmament. (Remember, the firmament is everything [not counting land] between the "upper" waters and the surface of the "seas" [oceans].)

Last edited:

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Was it air that YHWH breathed into Adam's nose? If so, how can air be created when it is a part of YHWH?
of course not that is the breath of life and man became a living soul

that is not air lol can you see bacteria being created in the bible no such thing right? but it is still created
can animals live without oxygen? no lol you will suffocate them

have you also seen the biological brothers and sisters of christ no such thing right unless you fill the blanks

unless you use logic or rely on the guide

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God breathe to live or not?
  1. God can breathe whenever He wants to.
  2. He does not require air (or any other matter) to do so.
  3. God's Life does not rely on having respiration in any way.
  4. We are God's replicas [Genesis 1:26-27], so our bodies have limitations that He does not have.
Spirits In The Material World, The Police (1981)

Last edited:

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
God existed before creation. He does not need air to live. He is life. He created air. When He breathed into Adam, He breathed life into him. God is life. The Holy Spirit is not air. The Holy Spirit is God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit (not the holy bible). The Lord our God is one.
To replace the Holy Spirit with the bible is idolatry. The bible is not God. We are not to put anything before God, not even His word. Especially not our interpretation of His word. The Lord our God is holy and perfect. We are not. We need God to reveal His word to us.
He exists in eternity. It's why He told Moses to tell the people that "I Am" has sent you. Our minds cannot fathom Him. He is simply beyond our finite understanding. Which is why I say that He is awesome beyond words.
Our words are not able to adequately describe Him. Though He loves it when we try. He is the God of faith and He is the 3-dimensional God. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. His word is food for the hungry, and water for the thirsty. His word is Spirit and life. Shalom.
But. when. God. does. not. breathe. is. he. at. all. alive?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But. when. God. does. not. breathe. is. he. at. all. alive?
We don't know what He does outside of His revealed Word (and even that isn't always clear), but we are reasonably sure that you cannot suffocate Him.

But you missed point #3 (Was that on purpose?),
God does not require respiration to live.

Ma hai perso il #3 (Era di proposito?),
Dio non richiede la respirazione per vivere.

Last edited:

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This is an interesting question. It is interesting because it points out an observation.
We breath, to exchange gases that keep us alive. God breathed on Adam, implying He also breathes like us, except He does not need sustaining by exchanging gases to be alive. So on this basis God breathing on Adam is a metaphor, a way of expressing God created Adams body and then brought it to life. Culturally we talk about are they breathing, their last breath, as a definition of saying someone is alive or dead.

The allegory is useful, but it is spoken to give us the meaning to the origins of life and Gods approach to us. God bless you

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Job says: The Spirit of God created me and the Spirit of God enlivens me. What is the spirit that enlivens him if not air?
John 3 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁵ Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
⁶ That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
⁷ Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
⁸ The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Air and spirit are completely different from each other. Air that we breathe into our lungs is produced by plants and trees....the plants and trees and even the ocean takes in CO2 and disperses O2.
The breath of life is literally God putting your spirit in a physical body....but don't take it literally as breathing as the flesh breathes.
Flesh=physical matter
Spirit=spiritual energy or presence...not mass like the physical.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 3 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
⁵ Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
⁶ That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
⁷ Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
⁸ The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Air and spirit are completely different from each other. Air that we breathe into our lungs is produced by plants and trees....the plants and trees and even the ocean takes in CO2 and disperses O2.
The breath of life is literally God putting your spirit in a physical body....but don't take it literally as breathing as the flesh breathes.
Flesh=physical matter
Spirit=spiritual energy or presence...not mass like the physical.
@Heart2Soul The new birth is such a profound and fundamental truth, indeed.

Reactions: Heart2Soul