We are WORKINGOUT our salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just here

May 29, 2013
aspen2 said:
i agree with you about reverence. i disagree about fear. for thing, fear implies anticipation of a chaotic response - God and my father were very predictable in their discipline - i dreaded the discipline, but i did not fear it.
I think we may have found a common ground aspen! Dread is a good word we can both be comfortable with, I see you have used it. Maybe we see dread in a slightly different light because I would add fear to the equation.

When you think about sinning - or tempted - do you fear what will happen if you go ahead and sin? Do you know that feeling and you ask yourself "is it worth it?" Hopefully the fear or dread will push you away from the temptation. Not falling for the temptation because of dread or fear - is wisdom!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah we can agree on dread. however, i do not dread punishment from God as much as I dread betraying Him - it is a spousal relationship rather than a parent/child relationship. Fear of my own lack of loving, faithful, obedience is a reality and I desire to be a good partner, but it is beyond fear of punishment - it more like an aversion of feeling unconnected.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
This is a beautiful post on sanctification. Its not condemning nor is it legalistic, self righteous or liberal. The truth is that sanctification is as much apart of salvation as justification. We are justified by God through and in CHrist Jesus and we are thus sanctified by the Holy Spirit working the Holy Word in us! The simple truth is all believers can live sanctifed and holy some will choose not and some will choose to. Yet it is a joy to be sanctifed and walking in the way of holiness resting in pure faith in Jesus!
"Follow peace with all men and holiness; for without which no man shall see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just here said:
It also means to be afraid, be terrified, fear, honor, reverance.

A healthy dose of fear of the Lord will stop a temptation in it's track.

Amen! We NEED to fear the Lord.
aspen2 said:
you cannot fear and love someone at the same time - sorry, it is psychologically impossible. Love requires us to be vulnerable, which cannot happen if we are afraid.

It does happen in the Lord. God's judgments are perfect. God impartially judges all men. God also WANTS us to succeed and equips us to that purpose.

So then yes, the love of God has fear in it.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Episkopos said:
Amen! We NEED to fear the Lord.

It does happen in the Lord. God's judgments are perfect. God impartially judges all men. God also WANTS us to succeed and equips us to that purpose.

So then yes, the love of God has fear in it.
The first paragraph of your post does not prove the second

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Well the only thing I can think of to help me in my faith is being afraid. Not fear of the world or preaching to people, But Fear of God, because God is the One who Knows Everything!

Everyday Im alive, I struggle so I prepare thinking about My Head being chopped off, Why? because I need to prepare to REFUSE evil and be killed for Jesus in the Tribulation at all costs (in case I am left behind)

Fear fear fear fear that's all I got. Fear is literally all I have right now inside of me, I hope that helps me. I Do have faith that God knows my every intention.

Just here

May 29, 2013
aspen2 said:
The first paragraph of your post does not prove the second
Aspen,

I know we agreed upon "dread", but I want to add love is not always mushy and "nice", God is also the Righteous Judge, meaning He is tough and strict, He is a jealous God, One that does get angry, we can see this in the OT.

The love God showers upon the world is not the kind that strokes your ego when you've sinned against Him, He's a God that will strip you down from the inside out, purging us of our pathetic self - all because He does love us!

Proverbs 14:26 - Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.
Proverbs 14:27 - The fear of the LORD [is] a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.

I really don't see the problem of fearing the Lord. Goodness, people fear other people and what they can do to us far beyond fearing the Lord and who does the Bible say we should fear? The Lord!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
inmate, I believe you should use whatever works for you to avoid sin. Fear does not play a role in my relationship with God, but I know it does for some people.

I am not afraid of God's discipline. I think the OT tells us much more about God's people than it does about God. His people recorded their interpretation of their live circumstances because they were trying to make sense of life and discover God's will. They associated calamity and silence with God's wrath, constantly. God revealed His soveriegnty in the OT and His love and plan for our redemption in the NT - all aspects are true about God.

God has been working on sanctifying and redeeming His people ever since. we are no longer slaves but friends! Love has never been mushy or easy - people on this board mistake love with hippy love all the time - i am talking about Christian love. People who spend their lives practicing their sanctification by loving outwardly know how hard it is! This does not mean God is actively attacking us - in means that He allows us to experience the natural consequences of our sin.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
aspen2 said:
inmate, I believe you should use whatever works for you to avoid sin. Fear does not play a role in my relationship with God, but I know it does for some people.

I am not afraid of God's discipline. I think the OT tells us much more about God's people than it does about God. His people recorded their interpretation of their live circumstances because they were trying to make sense of life and discover God's will. They associated calamity and silence with God's wrath, constantly. God revealed His soveriegnty in the OT and His love and plan for our redemption in the NT - all aspects are true about God.

God has been working on sanctifying and redeeming His people ever since. we are no longer slaves but friends! Love has never been mushy or easy - people on this board mistake love with hippy love all the time - i am talking about Christian love. People who spend their lives practicing their sanctification by loving outwardly know how hard it is! This does not mean God is actively attacking us - in means that He allows us to experience the natural consequences of our sin.
well im addicted to sin so I feel as though I should fear his rebukes