Were disciples the same as Christians according to Acts 11:26?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Acts 11:

26b So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples [G3101] were called Christians first at Antioch.
Strong's Greek: 3101. μαθητής (mathétés) — 263 Occurrences

Can someone be a Christian who does not consider themselves a disciple?

Not in Paul's time, disciples and Christians were synonyms.

What are the actions/attitudes that you would expect from a disciple?

John 14:

25Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. >33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
A disciple follows Jesus and does what he did. Interestingly the word "disciple" is rarely used by anyone except by Jesus and Luke in the NT. Paul never used the word. The word μαθητής is not in LXX at all.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A disciple of Christ is one who
(1) believes his doctrine,
(2) rests on his sacrifice,
(3) accepts the Holy Spirit
(4) imitates his example
John 5:24; John 10:11; John 20:22; Matthew 10:24; John 14:11-13

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 11:

Strong's Greek: 3101. μαθητής (mathétés) — 263 Occurrences

Can someone be a Christian who does not consider themselves a disciple?

Not in Paul's time, disciples and Christians were synonyms.

What are the actions/attitudes that you would expect from a disciple?

John 14:

A disciple follows Jesus and does what he did. Interestingly the word "disciple" is rarely used by anyone except by Jesus and Luke in the NT. Paul never used the word. The word μαθητής is not in LXX at all.
To be clear, the Disciples were those Jesus specially called to follow him and to be trained by him to found the Church and transmit the pure words of Jesus to others. And so, we would indeed expect the word "disciple" to be used primarily in the accounts of Jesus' earthly ministry, when he called those disciples. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts all have references to them.

But your point is well taken, and in particular the reference you chose to use--John 14. To be a true Christian one must do as the apostles did, yielding up their own autonomy for a partnership with Jesus in which he is absolute Lord over our lives. The reason is that he came to show us that nothing we do without him has value. If we wish to be saved we must be saved only by putting on his life in place of our own autonomous life.

Religious people copy Jesus. Spiritual people obey Jesus by letting him rule in their lives, replacing their own autonomous life for his own spiritual life. We must show Jesus in our lives, and not merely copy him. Copying him lacks the substance of Christ and his righteousness. To pretend love has no love at all.