What’s Your Favorite Verse?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK. Thought I’d take a break from heavy threads. We all love the Bible and the thread title is unfair. How can we limit it to one verse that is your favorite?

Yet, that is the challenge.

If you must, expand to OT & NT.

I’d also like to know why that particular verse is your favorite? What is the back story to your choice.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had the VOICE translation of Ephesians 4:29 put on a coffee mug. It has convicted me more than any other.

Don’t let even one rotten word seep out of your mouths. Instead, offer only fresh words that build others up when they need it most. That way your good words will communicate grace to those who hear them.

Great advice.

Now the Word became flesh and took up residence among us.

I love that one, from the first chapter of John. Therein is the mystery.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OK. Thought I’d take a break from heavy threads. We all love the Bible and the thread title is unfair. How can we limit it to one verse that is your favorite?

I like this one-
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
because it trumps all denominations and their assorted beliefs..:)
And this one backs it up-

"Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:2-6)

• Love
Reactions: RedRobyn and Mr E

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like this one-
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
because it trumps all denominations and their assorted beliefs..:)
And this one backs it up-

"Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:2-6)
Great, great point!

I tire of denominational strife. Individual strife, I'm OK with, despite @RLT63's concerns of hypocrisy as I believe it is consistent with iron sharpens iron. Campaigning against a team of saints because they compiled doctrines you don't agree with goes against Jesus teachings at
Mark 9:38 John said, “Teacher, we saw a man using your name to force demons out of people. But he wasn't one of us, and we told him to stop.”
39 Jesus said to his disciples:
Don't stop him! No one who works miracles in my name will soon turn and say something bad about me. 40 Anyone who isn't against us is for us. 41 And anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name, just because you belong to me, will surely be rewarded.​

Getting back to Jesus being our one teacher, it reinforces the importance of relying on primary source material, aka the Bible. (The above is the CEV translation)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you mean that none stand out to you

The entire volume of the holy scriptures in the Authorized (King James) Version stand out in one way or another from day to day, month to month, year to year.

And over the past 15 years of my reading of the Authorized (King James) Version of the Holy Bible multiple times a year every book of the Bible has addressed every unique situation in my life. And I expect the entire volume of the scriptures to continue to do so until my time in this life ends…

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great, great point!

I tire of denominational strife. Individual strife, I'm OK with, despite @RLT63's concerns of hypocrisy as I believe it is consistent with iron sharpens iron. Campaigning against a team of saints because they compiled doctrines you don't agree with goes against Jesus teachings at
Mark 9:38 John said, “Teacher, we saw a man using your name to force demons out of people. But he wasn't one of us, and we told him to stop.”
39 Jesus said to his disciples:
Don't stop him! No one who works miracles in my name will soon turn and say something bad about me. 40 Anyone who isn't against us is for us. 41 And anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name, just because you belong to me, will surely be rewarded.​

Getting back to Jesus being our one teacher, it reinforces the importance of relying on primary source material, aka the Bible. (The above is the CEV translation)
Conversely——-//
Unchecked Copy Box
Act 19:13 - Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, “We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches.”

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 19:14 - Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so.

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 19:15 - And the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?”

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 19:16 - Then the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 19:17 - This became known both to all Jews and Greeks dwelling in Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Conversely
There is no conversely to the thread question of what is your favorite verse, you contrarian, you! :pfite:

If a tree falls in the woods, regardless of whether there is someone to hear it or not, is it the fault of KJV-rejecting, non-trinitarians? Honestly, I don't know what your point is in quoting Acts 19:13-17 in the context of the conversation, which is itself, an aside from the OP.

You do this often, cite verses in lieu of making an actual argument. Are you trying to say believers who fail are not believers, are not advancing the kingdom? If a member of a denomination fails at something, are you saying it means the entire denomination is fraudulent?

Honestly, your ongoing hostility toward other denominations is unbecoming. I quoted Jesus who made points directly about denomination - people going off on their own in his name (not Apostolic sucession, etc). You come up with this nonsense to justify what? You are NOT the judge of them, my friend.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no conversely to the thread question of what is your favorite verse, you contrarian, you! :pfite:

If a tree falls in the woods, regardless of whether there is someone to hear it or not, is it the fault of KJV-rejecting, non-trinitarians? Honestly, I don't know what your point is in quoting Acts 19:13-17 in the context of the conversation, which is itself, an aside from the OP.

You do this often, cite verses in lieu of making an actual argument. Are you trying to say believers who fail are not believers, are not advancing the kingdom? If a member of a denomination fails at something, are you saying it means the entire denomination is fraudulent?

Honestly, your ongoing hostility toward other denominations is unbecoming. I quoted Jesus who made points directly about denomination - people going off on their own in his name (not Apostolic sucession, etc). You come up with this nonsense to justify what? You are NOT the judge of them, my friend.
I was just pointing out another incident. A lot of things can seem like a contradiction in the scriptures on the surface. If you look at my posts you can see I don’t promote a particular denomination. There are those who believe salvation is exclusive to their denomination and as someone suggested I started a thread on that subject. As the passage I quoted reveals not everyone who claims to represent Jesus actually does.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yet, that is the challenge.

If you must, expand to OT & NT.

I’d also like to know why that particular verse is your favorite? What is the back story to your choice.
Jhn 11:35 - Jesus wept. — If Jesus could cry then he felt the same things I do.

Reactions: Wrangler

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As the passage I quoted reveals not everyone who claims to represent Jesus actually does.
I don't think the passage reveals that at all but failure & faith. Did the Apostles represent Jesus cause they also failed to eject some demons?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think the passage reveals at all anything but failure & faith. Did the Apostles represent Jesus cause they also failed to eject some demons?
That is a good point. Jesus told them that kind only came out with prayer and fasting.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. What you pointed out referenced no words by Jesus at all, let alone contradicting his support for denomination.
Actually I am non denominational and all this discussion stems from my disagreement with one denomination that holds the view that all other denominations are wrong and members of those denominations will not be saved

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a good point. Jesus told them that kind only came out with prayer and fasting.
BTW, I'm glad you know the Bible well enough to know what I was referring to. Some always insist on quoting chapter and verse. Obviously, that takes more time.

Before becoming lead Pastor of my congregation, the man started a missionary work in Cleveland, attempting to start a new congregation. It failed. I don't believe Christians failing means they aren't true Christians, don't represent Christ, etc.

I devout man, raised by 2 ministers, he did not keep his failure a secret but has included it in several sermons. Why did God tell him to do missionary work in Cleveland only for it to fail? We cannot know. He uses his experience as a model to endure, to keep walking in faith EVEN WHEN things happen that we don't like or cannot understand. Amen.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, I'm glad you know the Bible well enough to know what I was referring to. Some always insist on quoting chapter and verse. Obviously, that takes more time.

Before becoming lead Pastor of my congregation, the man started a missionary work in Cleveland, attempting to start a new congregation. It failed. I don't believe Christians failing means they aren't true Christians, don't represent Christ, etc.

I devout man, raised by 2 ministers, he did not keep his failure a secret but has included it in several sermons. Why did God tell him to do missionary work in Cleveland only for it to fail? We cannot know. He uses his experience as a model to endure, to keep walking in faith EVEN WHEN things happen that we don't like or cannot understand. Amen.
Even though he considers his experience as a failure he may have reached people God wanted him to reach or made a difference in some way and it’s clear he learned from that experience. Noah preached for a long time and didn’t convert anyone.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I am non denominational and all this discussion stems from my disagreement with one denomination that holds the view that all other denominations are wrong and members of those denominations will not be saved
We both reject the doctrine of denominatonal-only deliverance. With all due respect, it is a person or persons on CyB that hold that. We cannot rationally disagree with an inanimate object, aka denomination. It's like disagreeing with a frog for being a frog or a rock for being a rock.

RedRobyn

Apr 11, 2023
North West
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 23:34 (NKJV )

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Then they devided His garments and cast lots.

What great love and forgiveness !

Reactions: RLT63