What are you reading in the Bible at the moment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So what are you reading in the Bible at the moment?

My wife and I are reading in Hebrews.

Such an amazing Epistle, showing that in Christ everything is "better" - a key word - than anything that went before in the Old Testament or ever could be.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Isaiah, just read the part where the seraphim touched his lips with coal last night.

Reactions: farouk

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Prophecy I guess I could say is the gift I have desired for a while, there is just something about prophecy I really like, whether they be a minor or major prophet or Jesus. :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Isaiah, just read the part where the seraphim touched his lips with coal last night.
Such a lot in Isaiah, the Messianic passages about the Suffering Servant; the pilgrim pathway of the believer: "I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction" (Isaiah 48.10).

Reactions: Josho

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Such an amazing Epistle, showing that in Christ everything is "better" - a key word - than anything that went before in the Old Testament or ever could be.
I recently began reading my NIV chronological Bible. A highly recommend it as an alternate resource for Bible studies. I say alternate, as I believe we all should use various versions throughout our Christian life, for not one single translation is perfect, they all serve different purposes.
With the Chronological Bible, you become aware of the differences between the Synoptics, reading them side by side, and in historical order. Same with Acts and the Epistles, you get a better sense of who Paul is addressing, and why, by reading his Epistle as he travels through the related cities in Acts.
I just finished the Gospels, will be starting Acts/Epistles in my next session.

Reactions: Willie T

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I recently began reading my NIV chronological Bible. A highly recommend it as an alternate resource for Bible studies. I say alternate, as I believe we all should use various versions throughout our Christian life, for not one single translation is perfect, they all serve different purposes.
With the Chronological Bible, you become aware of the differences between the Synoptics, reading them side by side, and in historical order. Same with Acts and the Epistles, you get a better sense of who Paul is addressing, and why, by reading his Epistle as he travels through the related cities in Acts.
I just finished the Gospels, will be starting Acts/Epistles in my next session.
I do very much like the KJV myself. I find the Thomson Chain Reference Bible to have a lot of useful material, although its print is rather small, which for some of us is increasingly a problem.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do very much like the KJV myself. I find the Thomson Chain Reference Bible to have a lot of useful material, although its print is rather small, which for some of us is increasingly a problem.
What, you still read from paper back? Never! I have all my books on my tablet and phone. They are with me all the time (even while waiting for a bus), literally hundreds in a small portable device. I can bookmark them, change the font, they don't fade or tear, easy to cross-reference, etc...

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What, you still read from paper back? Never! I have all my books on my tablet and phone. They are with me all the time (just waiting for a bus), literally hundreds in a small portable device. I can bookmark them, change the font, they don't fade or tear, easy to cross-reference, etc...
I find the small buttons on electronic hand held devices hard to use. They are common in Canada but in some ways I find Canada a rather illusory place with its widespread assumptions about technology and the nature of things.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find the small buttons on electronic hand held devices hard to use. They are common in Canada but in some ways I find Canada a rather illusory place with its widespread assumptions about technology and the nature of things.
Sure, if the technology is based on pretension. But, if not, they are extremely practical. Like I said, just the fact that i have my books with me all the time, and so many to chose from at any given moment, means I read a lot more now. Even just consider all the Bible Software out there, those who used to be the laity, are practically self-taught scholars now, just for that reason i.e. technology.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Read it well farouk and understand the the unfolding of the types explained.

R

Rita

I am reading a book called ‘ Jesus in the Old Testament ‘ - and it is just so interesting and giving me a whole new prospective ....I have never viewed the creation story as being a picture or redemption, I never really thought about Grace , redemption and salvation as coming before the law was given, about how the gospel was given to Moses and Abraham ......... it’s just little things that I have not noticed before.
So I am working through Genesis and Exodus at the moment.
Rita

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am reading a book called ‘ Jesus in the Old Testament ‘ - and it is just so interesting and giving me a whole new prospective ....I have never viewed the creation story as being a picture or redemption, I never really thought about Grace , redemption and salvation as coming before the law was given, about how the gospel was given to Moses and Abraham ......... it’s just little things that I have not noticed before.
Rita
@Rita Interesting; it's wonderful to think that back in the Garden the seed of the woman was promised, which would crush the serpent's head. It's a healthy exercise to trace back all the Messianic references in the Old Testament; and indeed the promise to Abraham was given before circumcision was established, which preaches well about justification by faith.

So who wrote the book?

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rita
Sounds interesting!

Reactions: Rita