What benefit is it my brothers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Semachiah

Apr 7, 2008
Shalom,

Scripture references are from,
The SET (Stone Edition Tanach) or the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible) for the OT
and the PNT (Power New Testament ) for the NT unless otherwise specified.

Jam 2:14. What benefit is it my brothers, if someone would say he has faith, but does not have works? Is that faith able to save him? (Mt 7:21, 16:27, Jn 5:29, Ac 26:20, Ro 2:10,25-29, 1Co 3:8, Eph 2:10, 2Ti 4:14, Titus 1:16, 2:14, 3:8, et al.) 15. If a brother or sister would be poorly clothed and is falling short of daily food 16. and if any of you would say to them from your plenty, “You must now go in peace, be warm and be filled,” but would not give them their bodily needs, what is the benefit? 17. So then faith, if you would not have works, is dead in itself.

Controversial, misused and abused is this passage but that is nothing new, is it?
Let me ask the question of what are you doing for YHVH?
Let me ask it again, "What ARE you doing for YHVH?"
If you answer is raising my kids, going to work and living a CHRISTian life before others then you may need to re-ask yourself the question...
"What ARE you doing for YHVH?"

Maybe I need to rephrase the question for you but first let me show you something...
Acts 10:38. as God anointed this Jesus, the One from Nazareth, in the Holy Spirit and power, Who came through doing good and healing all those who were oppressed by the devil, because God was with Him.
You are supposed to represent YHVH through Y'SHUA to everyone you meet upon the earth! When Y'SHUA was upon the earth He represented YHVH to men in order to show them the way to The FATHER. In order for Him to do this YHVH anointed Him with The HOLY GHOST...
Mat 3:16. And after Jesus was baptized He immediately rose from the water: and behold the heavens opened up to Him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon Him: 17. and there was a voice from the heavens saying, “This is My beloved Son, with Whom I am well pleased.”

When Y'SHUA appeared to The Apostles after His resurrection He gave them instructions to wait in Jerusalem until they received the second infilling of The HOLY SPIRIT (Acts 1:2-8). This must be seen as a similar event as to what we just read concerning Y'SHUA Himself since He had been "born" of The Spirit initially at His own physical birth to His mother, Mary (Lk 1:33-38; Mat 3:16-17). This is the second infilling for these Apostles because He had already told them to "receive The HOLY SPIRIT" once before...
Jn 20: 21. Then Jesus said to them again “Peace be with you: just as the Father sent Me, so I am sending you.” 22. And after He said this He breathed upon them and said to them, “You must immediately take the Holy Spirit: 23. whomever you would forgive, their sins have been forgiven for them, whomever you would retain their sins have been retained.”
This was the initial rebirth of these Apostles in compliance with what He had already made known when He told Nicodemus...
Jn 3:5. Jesus answered, “Most certainly I say to you, unless someone would have been born out of water and Spirit he is not able to enter the kingdom of God.
Then as noted already they still were told to wait in Jerusalem until The HOLY SPIRIT anointed them as witnesses of how Y'SHUA had represented YHVH to the world. They were to wait until they were anointed to represent YHVH to the world through the life, death and resurrection of Y'SHUA. We might just say that they were to wait until they were anointed to represent Y'SHUA to the world.

A "representative" of another is one who acts on the part of the one they represent. They act in their stead or they act as they would if they were present; they act as that one’s "ambassador"...
2 Cor 5:17. So if someone is in Messiah, he is a new creation: the old things passed away, behold he has become new. 18. And all things are from God, the One Who reconciled us to Himself through Messiah and Who gave us the ministry of reconciliation, 19. because God was reconciling the universe to Himself by means of Messiah, since He does not reckon their transgressions to them, and because He placed in us the message of reconciliation. 20. Therefore we are ambassadors on behalf of Messiah as God exhorts through us: we beg, in the name of Messiah, that you must immediately be reconciled to God. 21. He made the One Who did not know sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we ourselves would know the righteousness of God by means of Him.

We were told by Y'SHUA to wait...to wait until we were endued with The Power or The Authority of YHVH to act upon things within the earthly realm.
We were told to wait until we received The HOLY SPIRIT...
Acts 1:8. but you will take power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the outermost part of the earth.”
Once we have been so anointed by YHVH with HIS Power and/or HIS Authority then we were or then we are to act as HIS Ambassadors. We will receive this Power after we have first been Born Again and then we have waited in our own form of "Jerusalem". For us that may be Laramie under the tutelage of Pastor X or Boots Creek under Pastor Y but we are to wait until we receive YHVH's anointing to be a witness of the life of The CHRIST that YHVH will empower us with.

What was it which gave life unto Y'SHUA in His mother, Mary?

Lk 1:34. And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I have not had intimacy with a husband?” 35. Then the angel said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and power of the Most High will cover you: for this reason then the Holy One Who is birthed will be called the Son of God. (emphasis added)
Y'SHUA was born of "THE Power" of YHVH coming upon her but....
"But" Y'SHUA did no miracles until after He was baptized by John at the Jordan River once He had turned 30 years of age. It was not until He was old enough by Jewish Law to be ordained a Rabbi that we see Him anointed with The HOLY GHOST for a second infilling and "THE" anointing which He needed in order to be YHVH's Ambassador upon the earth. It was not until after this second infilling that He starts to "go about doing good."
Acts 10:38. as God anointed this Jesus, the One from Nazareth, in the Holy Spirit and power, Who came through doing good and healing all those who were oppressed by the devil, because God was with Him.

Prior to the day when He was baptized of John who was Y'SHUA to the world?
How was He known?
What was His reputation?
Mat 13:53. And it happened that when Jesus finished these parables, He went away from there. 54. Then when He came into His hometown He taught them in their synagogue, so that they were amazed and said, “From where do this wisdom, and the miracles, in this One, come? 55. Is this not the carpenter’s Son? Is not His mother called Mary and His brothers Jacob and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56. And are not all His sisters with us? Therefore from where in this One are all these things?” 57. And they were offended because of Him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his household.” 58. And He did not do many miracles there because of their unbelief.
He was "the carpenter's son!"
What do they say of you?
Are you Joey's mom?
Are you the salesman?
Are you the son of James and Lisa?
What do they say of you?

Gal 4.1. And I say, as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a servant although he is master of all, 2. but he is under guardians and stewards until the day appointed by his father. 3. And just as we, when we were infants, were enslaved under the elements of the world: 4. but when the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son, Who was born of a woman, Who was under Torah, 5. so that He would redeem those under legalism, so that we could take the adoption. 6. And because you are sons, God sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying “Abba, Father.” 7. So that you are no longer a servant but a son: and if a son, then an heir through God.
Y'SHUA, just like you and I was no different until He was anointed or "sent forth" into His ministry for YHVH. Now, because you are also Sons of YHVH, the same SPIRIT of YHVH has been made available for you to receive; to anoint you to be YHVH's ambassador upon the earth.

Jam 2:14. What benefit is it my brothers, if someone would say he has faith, but does not have works? Is that faith able to save him? 15. If a brother or sister would be poorly clothed and is falling short of daily food 16. and if any of you would say to them from your plenty, “You must now go in peace, be warm and be filled,” but would not give them their bodily needs, what is the benefit? 17. So then faith, if you would not have works, is dead in itself.
If you are a CHRISTian which is the same as asking, "If you really are CHRIST-like and a Son of YHVH as well as He was then what are you doing with the Anointing of YHVH; The HOLY SPIRIT within you?
What benefit is it my brothers?

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Semachiach,
That's a hard one to spell! I liked your format it made your post easy to read.
I now know how to spell Y'shua, thank you. :)

I won't be posting about my works lest I be sounding my own trumpet, I'm sure you understand.
But I will say one of my favorite things I do for God is Delighting in Him and Being Still.
And I am a firm believer in the practical demonstrations of love -not just saying , "I'll pray for her."
No, no -you secretly put cash in her mailbox! Ok, enough of that.

Loved your post very much - you're talkin' my language! Look forward to more.
;) Miss Hepburn

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Faith without works is in realyion to God sending you to do something, if you go in faith the works will follow, You cannot do anything for God, we are supposed to allow Him to work through us, like giving someone food when they ask etc, without expecting anything in return, all else is vanity and of the flesh and achieves nothing. If we boast of our works then it is all the flesha and aginn is dead and vanity.

In His LOve

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
You cannot do anything for God, we are supposed to allow Him to work through us,
In His LOve
Yes, mjr, I, of course, understand and follow you're thinking and all ---and maybe I'm different - but I must say --- in my heart - I do many many things for God.
This is a very deep subject. Does God need anything from us...certainly not money or sacrifices. He is everywhere -He is in everything, He is the Alpha and the Omega - He is the All and All. What does He need from me.
What can I do for Him?
How can I say I do many many things for Him.

Because I know what He wants. He wants me. How do I give Him me - His Heart's Desire?

The many many things I do for God are different ways of concentrating on Him.

Much like the many many ways I love a child. I pay attention to the child, I take care of the child, I listen to the child, I talk to the child, I spend time with the child, I give the child what he needs and what he wants and what he asks for. No spoiling in mind.

Now when that imaginary, symbolic child is everywhere and in everything ---then how that manifests is - giving to the stranger and the hungry animal and listening to the friend in mourning ---see what I mean. It also means picking up the trash along the hiking trail and painting over the graffitti - helping the old lady next door. You know what I'm saying.

Yes, God working "through" me. But, because of our free will - it is "me" doing these things by choice --then you have the fine line of 'is there a me or is everything the Lord' - how does this 'play' on this stage, with the stars as the ceiling, play out--- we are the actors, yet - He is the stage, the backdrop, the audience and the auditorium all rolled into one.

That's what I meant by this is deep. :)

We have nothing to offer Him except ourselves.
It is a fun exercise to write down - how are the ways we can love God.
Pretty much it is how a human loves a human. We let the human love us, thus they are fulfilled. We appear to take from them, when we are really truly giving to them by allowing them to give to us... Thus, they feel fulfillment.

Kind of like an unending cycle. Like the ebb and flow of the oceans and the in and out of our breath. Endless surrendering to endlessly being filled.

Ahh, this life. He is a genius Lover.

Did I digress? LOL!