What do you think of Job?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Loretta

Oct 29, 2015
Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job. He was without sin and upright, fearing God and keeping himself far from evil.

Job 1:5 And at the end of their days of feasting, Job sent and made them clean, getting up early in the morning and offering burned offerings for them all. For, Job said, It may be that my sons have done wrong and said evil of God in their hearts. And Job did this whenever the feasts came round.

Job 1:8 And the Lord said to the Satan, Have you taken note of my servant Job, for there is no one like him on the earth, a man without sin and upright, fearing God and keeping himself far from evil?

From Bible, what do you think of Job? Why you think that?
In fact, I always suffer from [SIZE=12pt]temptation but I can't like Job to fear God and shun evil.[/SIZE]
What we can learn from Job?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The book of Job is devoted to the philosophical problem of suffering: if God is good and just, why do bad things happen to good people? The brief storyline sets the scene. Job is a very good man – as good as a man can possibly be – and yet he suffers as much as any man can possibly suffer (short of dying). As a result, he starts to question everything that he has previously believed.

The first thing to note is that Job and his friends are not Israelites. This means that they know nothing of the great act of deliverance from Egypt that pervades the rest of the Old Testament and gives context to the sufferings of the Jewish people. They have a simple but well worked-out theology: they believe in an all-powerful, holy, infinitely wise and good Supreme Being who rewards righteous people and punishes the wicked. This is all fine – until, like Job, you find yourself on the receiving end of undeserved misfortune. And what misfortune! To lose all his wealth is bad enough, but then comes the news that his family has been wiped out in a freak accident. And on top of it all, he is then struck down with a painful and disfiguring illness. Men have killed themselves over less.

Then along come three of his friends. While they sit beside him in silent sympathy (Job 2:11-13), Job holds high hopes of receiving comfort from them. But when they open their mouths, he is deeply disappointed (Job 6:21; 13:4,5). They try to counsel him, but succeed only in rubbing salt into his many wounds. Believing, as they do, that suffering is a divine punishment for sin, they try to convince Job that what has happened to him proves that he is a wicked man who deserves everything that he has suffered (e.g. Job 22:4,5) and who needs to repent in order to enjoy God’s favour again (e.g. Job 11:13-16). Since this is not true, Job is pushed even further into depression and despair.

Job, not surprisingly, wishes that he were dead (e.g. Job 10:18,19), can't understand what is going on (Job 7:20,21), and feels that God has abandoned him (Job 30:20). The burning question in his mind, as one might expect, is: WHY? “Why has this happened to me?” (e.g. Job 7:20,21) And later, when his mood is more reflective, “What might I have done to deserve this?” (e.g. Job 10:2; 13:23) He flings these questions at God, demanding an explanation for this apparent miscarriage of justice – but God does not answer.

But his friends have plenty to say on the subject. They are absolutely convinced that suffering is invariably the result of sin; therefore, if Job’s children met with such a tragic fate (the kind of thing that insurance companies would describe as ‘an act of God’), it must somehow have been their own fault (Job 8:4)! And Job also must be harbouring some secret wickedness; if he won’t own up to it, then he is guilty of hypocrisy as well!

When God does finally come on the scene (Job 38-42), He doesn’t give us a theology lecture, nor does He immediately and miraculously solve all of Job’s problems. He doesn’t give Job any explanation for all that he has gone through, and He doesn’t answer any of Job’s questions. He doesn’t say anything about Job’s personal situation at all! He just makes Job aware of His presence, His power, and His concern for the whole world.

What God says, in effect, is simply this: “I am God. I am all-powerful, and I know what I’m doing. Trust Me.”

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many profound one-liners in the book, but for me the most profound one for me is job 13:15 where job explains even if God slays him, job will trust him and maintain his ways.

Loretta

Oct 29, 2015
From the thing that God allowed Satan to tempt Job, I can see God's wisdom and God’s good intentions. God emphasized that Job is a perfect and an upright man, one that fears God, and shuns evil. He stir Satan to make an attack against Job and show its true colors so that letting Satan be utterly shamed and defeated. At the same time, we will see that whenever God is protecting man.(“Behold, all that he has is in your power; only on himself put not forth your hand.” Job 1:12 )
When I suffer frustrations, I not only be same with Job((Job 1:20-21) , but also misunderstand and complain God.
Last month 3rd, I went to apply for the Home Internet, but still now the cellphone company no come. I have called and went to the company many times.....Could you understand my feeling??? I begin to misunderstand and complained God. "Why! Why You do that to me!......" It is not until remember Job's story that I understand a little God's will.
Though the thing, God wants to make me to rely on Him and believe Him.
If one day, I can be a person who same with Job, whatever happen, even too many times. I just want to say :" God! I will be absolutely obedient to You."