What does being saved mean in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
When scripture says one will be saved, does it mean one will enter the kingdom of heaven?
[SIZE=16pt]Or does saved mean that one is just saved from going to hell?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Or could being saved mean differently depending on the context of the scripture? [/SIZE]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Johnlove said:
When scripture says one will be saved, does it mean one will enter the kingdom of heaven?
[SIZE=16pt]Or could being saved mean differently depending on the context of the scripture? [/SIZE]

Give me the scriptures you are wondering about.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Axehead said:
Give me the scriptures you are wondering about.
[SIZE=16pt]I am not personally wondering about any one scripture. I just believe people have made the assumption that saved means one will go to heaven.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I don’t believe saved always, in scripture mean one will go to heaven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Asking my question is just a way to get people to think about what saved truly means. [/SIZE]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]I am not personally wondering about any one scripture. I just believe people have made the assumption that saved means one will go to heaven.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I don’t believe saved always, in scripture mean one will go to heaven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Asking my question is just a way to get people to think about what saved truly means. [/SIZE]
Without examples I really don't know what you are referring to. Why don't you give some examples from Scripture?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Axehead said:
Without examples I really don't know what you are referring to. Why don't you give some examples from Scripture?
[SIZE=16pt]It does not matter which scripture says one is saved. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Does any scripture tell us what saved means?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]can’t find scripture that tells us that believing in Jesus will mean one will enter the kingdom of God. Scripture only says that believing in Jesus will save him or her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I find much scripture that tells us only those who live God’s Word will enter the kingdom of God, but no scripture that says those who are saved will enter God’s kingdom.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I believe it is just an assumption if people believe saved means one will enter the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]It does not matter which scripture says one is saved. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Does any scripture tell us what saved means?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]can’t find scripture that tells us that believing in Jesus will mean one will enter the kingdom of God. Scripture only says that believing in Jesus will save him or her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I find much scripture that tells us only those who live God’s Word will enter the kingdom of God, but no scripture that says those who are saved will enter God’s kingdom.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I believe it is just an assumption if people believe saved means one will enter the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]
Thank you for a clue about your doctrine.

Let me ask you a question. What happens to those who do not enter the Kingdom of God? And, does the Bible tell you how many will be in the Kingdom of God?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Axehead said:
Thank you for a clue about your doctrine.

Let me ask you a question. What happens to those who do not enter the Kingdom of God? And, does the Bible tell you how many will be in the Kingdom of God?
[SIZE=16pt]I believe Jesus came to save people from hell, the place that Satan rules.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]But he said that only a few people will enter the kingdom of God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Then there must be some other place of punishment for those who do not live God’s Word. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Hebrews describes that place. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt](Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies--------“[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Jesus describes a place.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt](Matthew 25:39) “As for this good-for-nothing servant, throw him into the darkness outside, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth."[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, so hell. Got it! Well thats encouraging.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Oh, so hell. Got it! Well thats encouraging.
[SIZE=16pt]If you want encouragement ask Jesus to allow/give you the grace, to total live his Word. That means never sin again. Then you will not need anyone to encourage you. [/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have his Grace!!! I have my life before and after to show me that. I know this when His Glory and His works in my life have brought tears to my eyes and I feel the Holy Spirit around me. I live for God and his word. I testify to others of His works and wonders, because I have seen it!!! I try to live sinless but I stumble. But He has perfect love and it never fails!!! He called me home and I came home! I don't need anymore encouragement than that.

But like I've said in other posts, I'm glad your perfect like Jesus. Must be wonderful but I'm pretty sure that the Lord doesn't throw up His hands in disappointment when myself or any of our brothers and sisters on here stumble in our walk.

And you know just as well as I do that just simply believing in Christ doesn't cut the mustard. We are all working to better our walk with Christ but what none of us need is constant scripture being tossed at us saying if we are not perfect then we will torch like marshmallows.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
I have his Grace!!! I have my life before and after to show me that. I know this when His Glory and His works in my life have brought tears to my eyes and I feel the Holy Spirit around me. I live for God and his word. I testify to others of His works and wonders, because I have seen it!!! I try to live sinless but I stumble. But He has perfect love and it never fails!!! He called me home and I came home! I don't need anymore encouragement than that.

But like I've said in other posts, I'm glad your perfect like Jesus. Must be wonderful but I'm pretty sure that the Lord doesn't throw up His hands in disappointment when myself or any of our brothers and sisters on here stumble in our walk.

And you know just as well as I do that just simply believing in Christ doesn't cut the mustard. We are all working to better our walk with Christ but what none of us need is constant scripture being tossed at us saying if we are not perfect then we will torch like marshmallows.
[SIZE=16pt]How can one be a witness for Jesus if he or she does not walk as Jesus walked?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Can a sinner be a witness for Jesus? Is that not hypocrisy?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]A Christian is a follower of Jesus, and one can’t continue to follow Jesus if he or does not do as Jesus does[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, lets see. Jesus performed miracles. I don't see that being on my agenda any time soon. Nor are short little men climbing trees to see me when I come to town. Now do you mean walking in love, grace, etc..? Sinless? Specify please..

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Well, lets see. Jesus performed miracles. I don't see that being on my agenda any time soon. Nor are short little men climbing trees to see me when I come to town. Now do you mean walking in love, grace, etc..? Sinless? Specify please..
[SIZE=16pt]In and through the Holy Spirit one can perform miracles. That is just one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]To walk as Jesus walked means obeying the Father also. [/SIZE]

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Johnlove said:
The question I believe you have asked is: "From what are we saved?".

What we are saved from is physical death. Physical death is the result of sin. (Gen 2:17, Rom 6:23) All of mankind has sinned and all have died or will die. (Unless the Lord comes first)

Because of Jesus' resurrection, all of mankind will be raised incorruptible or imperishable (won't get sick, get old, wear out) and immortal. (Can't physically die again)

1Co 15:51-54 Lo! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable nature must put on the imperishable, and this mortal nature must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (RSV)

So we have been saved from the effect of sin which is death.

1Co 15:55-56 "O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. (RSV)

God, by His grace, has "opened heaven's doors" to whoever will believe in faith and action. Our eternal situation is now up to us.

Rom 2:6-11 For he will render to every man according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are factious and do not obey the truth, but obey wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.
There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for every one who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.
(RSV)

Pick one.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]I believe Jesus came to save people from hell, the place that Satan rules.[/SIZE]
Well, Jesus came and died on the cross so as to give us eternal life, first and foremost. When we accept Jesus as Savior we are included into His Family, by adoption and there is nothing you can do or not do to lose your salvation in Him. The blood of Jesus covers all sins, past, present and future. We can lose ground in our fellowship with God but never our relationship with Him. The Holy Spirit will never leave you. Rather, He will convict, sanctify and teach you the things of God.

Matt 28:16-20 NIV - The Lord is with us always to the very end of the age.
John 3:18 NIV - There is now no condemnation.
John 5:24 NIV - We have crossed over from death to life.
John 10:27-30 NIV - We cannot be snatched from Jesus and Father's hand.
John 14:16 NIV - The Holy Spirit will never leave us.
Rom 4:7-8 NIV - All sins are covered.
Rom 8:1-2 NIV - There is now no condemnation.
Rom 8:9-11 NIV - We belong to Christ by adoption
Rom 8:15-17 NIV - We belong to Christ by adoption. We are heirs of God's family.
Rom 8:33 NIV - Who will bring any charge against God's elect.
Rom 8:37 NIV - God loved us first.
Rom 8:38-39 NIV - Neither present nor future can separate us from God.
Rom 10:3-4 NIV - God's righteousness is what keeps us saved, not ours.
Rom 10:9-10 NIV - Believing only comes once. Sanctification occurs for the rest of your life.
Eph 1:13-14 NIV - We were chosen/We were marked with a seal.
Eph 2:7-9 NIV - Salvation is a gift expressed in his kindness and not of ourselves.
Eph 4:30 NIV - We are sealed until death.
Phil 1:6 NIV - A good work is carried out on to completion.
Col 2:13-15 NIV - All sins are covered.
2 Tim 1:9 NIV - We're not saved because of anything we've done.
1 Peter 1:3-5 NIV - We have an eternal inheritance. We are shielded by God's power.
2 Peter 2:4-10 NIV - The Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials.
1 John 3:9 NIV - God's seed remains in them. It doesn't leave them.
Rev 20:15 NIV - You're either in the book of life or you're not.

Matt 28:16-20 NIV Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
John 3:18 NIV Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
John 5:24 NIV “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.
John 10:27-30 NIV My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”
John 14:16 NIV And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.
Rom 4:7-8 NIV “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. 8Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”
Rom 8:1-2 NIV Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:9-11 NIV You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.
Rom 8:15-17 NIV The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Rom 8:33 NIV Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
Rom 8:37 NIV No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
Rom 8:38-39 NIV For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Rom 10:3-4 NIV Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Rom 10:9-10 NIV If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
Eph 2:7-9 NIV in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.
Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Phil 1:6 NIV being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Col 2:13-15 NIV When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
2 Tim 1:9 NIV He has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
1 Peter 1:3-5 NIV Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, 5who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.
2 Peter 2:4-10 NIV For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment; 5if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8(for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, they are not afraid to heap abuse on celestial beings;
1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.
Rev 20:15 NIV Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

- ATP

LightMessenger

Apr 9, 2015
Johnlove said:
Being saved (Born Again) is making reference to a person giving their life to Jesus Christ by ACCEPTING Him as your LORD and Savior. When a person becomes Saved/Born Again they join Jesus Christ as a newly born Christian and their name is immediately written in the Lamb's Book of Life, in Heaven. At the time the person passes away from this life on earth God will see that their name is written in that most special book and will give them entrance into Heaven, thereby saving them eternally from the pains of Hell.

But in order for a person to become saved they first have to make that request by way of a formal declaration of their love and acceptance of Jesus, according to the Holy Bible. There is the Prayer of Salvation that facilitates one in accomplishing that.

"Jesus saith unto him, I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me." -- JOHN 14:6 (KJV)

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." -- JOHN 3:3 (KJV)

For Serious Consideration:

After saying the following prayer meaningfully and Out Loud, you will be Saved and your name will be written in the Lamb's Book Of Life and you will become a New Person through Jesus Christ and He will accept you into Heaven when you pass-on at your appointed time according to Holy Bible Scripture.

Prayer To Become Saved - Born Again. (To be said Meaningfully and Out Loud.)

"Heavenly Father, I come to thee with contrite heart as I am a sinner who acknowledges my sins. I ask for your forgiveness and also come forth to declare that I Believe and Accept that Jesus Christ is my LORD and Savior who became incarnate and that He is the most beloved and only Son of God. I believe that He was crucified, died, and was buried for my salvation but arose on the third day through God and sits in eternal glory with you, Almighty God. I thank you for coming into my life, my LORD and Savior Jesus Christ, and I will follow you all the days of my life. Amen."

Attachments

• becoming_born_again_.jpg
    becoming_born_again_.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: justaname

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:

Satan doesn't rule hell. He is the ruler of this temporary world, John 14:30

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:

There is the being saved which means you are in line or on the pathway to being saved, a promise of being saved and then there is the actual saving which is a future event ie: receiving eternal life, or the judgment of it which included being resurrected into the new body which is immortal. Joh_5:29, 1Co 15:47-55

So entering the kingdom is the same as not going to the lake of fire because only the saved will not be in danger of being sent there.