You who would be justified by the law; you have FALLEN AWAY from grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 5:

1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
We are in Christ who has set us free.

2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.
Strong's Greek: 1601. ἐκπίπτω (ekpipto) — 10 Occurrences

Grace sets us free from the bondage of the law. If you depend on the law to save you, you are not in Christ, and you have fallen from grace.

Berean Literal Bible, 2 Peter 3:

17 Therefore beloved, knowing this beforehand, you beware, lest you should fall from [G1601] the own steadfastness, having been led away by the error of the lawless. 18 But grow in grace and in knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
Grace frees us from the law, but it does not mean lawlessness. Jesus binds us to the law of love. We can fall from grace in two possible ways. The Christian binds himself to the OT law, or he becomes lawless. He needs to get back on track to the grace of love.

Hebrews is similar, 4:

11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.
Strong's Greek: 4098. πίπτω, (piptó) — 91 Occurrences

Disobey grace and fall from it.

16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Berean Standard Bible, Hebrews 12:

15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God, and that no root of bitterness springs up to cause trouble and defile many.
Strong's Greek: 5302. ὑστερέω (hustereó) — 16 Occurrences

One can G1601-fall, G4098-gall, or G5302-fall from grace.

Are they still saved?

Some are, and some are not. See Can we lose our salvation?.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:

Grace sets us free from the bondage of the law. If you depend on the law to save you, you are not in Christ, and you have fallen from grace.

Hebrews is similar, 4:

Hebrews 12:

Peter agrees (BSB) 2 Pet 3:

Grace frees us from the law, but it does not mean lawlessness. Jesus binds us to the law of love.

What does falling away mean?

It means falling away from grace in two possible ways. The Christian binds himself to the OT law, or he becomes lawless. He needs to get back on track to the grace of love.

Are they still saved?

Some are and some are not. See Can we lose our salvation?.
Yes, we have "fallen away" when we lose our intimate, loving connection to Christ. We can do that by starting to look to ourselves alone, instead of working with Christ. Then we create a fake standard of righteousness. We need to, in the immortal words of Chris Christian, "get back to the Bible!" :) Have a nice weekend.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of another passage,

Galatians 2:20-21 KJV
20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21) I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

This is how not to fall away. To realize, I have to have righteousness from God, that's how it works.

Much love!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:

Hebrews is similar, 4:

Hebrews 12:

Grace frees us from the law, but it does not mean lawlessness. Jesus binds us to the law of love.

It means falling away from grace in two possible ways. The Christian binds himself to the OT law, or he becomes lawless. He needs to get back on track to the grace of love.

Are they still saved?

"Falling Away" could mean spending less time in prayer and/or more time in sin.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"falling from Grace"...

This happens in your head. In your belief system, and can only happen to a Christian, as only a Christian is "under Grace".

So, Grace, in the context of Salvation, is ... = God has eternally made you right with Himself through the Cross of Christ.

That is : Salvation, but its also the correct understanding of HOW God has saved you.. So, as long as you are standing on that truth as your REAL FAITH, then you are "in the Faith":

Now, if you are deceived OUT of that simple faith in Christ.......and now you believe that you are to work, and strive, and perform..... so that God will KEEP YOU... then you have left real faith, and are "fallen" from the correct understanding regarding HOW and WHY God took you to begin with...

So, to fall from that understanding, is to lose that understanding.

Paul said that when that becomes your HEAD, your broken faith.. "you no longer obey the Truth".

See, when you came to God, you came BELIEVING< and you KNEW that Jesus had saved you, and you understood that you didnt do any of it.
You just CAME TO GOD, by FAITH in Christ, and that was your HEAD, your HEART, and your BELIEF..

But then, you went to a bad church or a FORUM, and before you knew it.......= the heretics, the liars, the fake believers, had you trying to keep yourself saved...

See that part?

You are trying to STAY SAVED... You are trying to KEEP yourself SAVED, because you dont trust in CHRIST anymore, to keep you saved.

And that is what the DEVIL wants you to chase.
He wants you to stay in the "here is what i have to DO NOW..,,, if i want to go to heaven"..... = wrong mind of broken faith.

See that?
If you are in that mind, then you are "fallen from GRACE".

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Here is how it happens to you.

Paul teaching..

"""You foolish Galatians! (Chrisitans).... WHO has bewitched you?

""Are you so FOOLISH? After being born into the family of God by birth of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish God's Salvation by believing in works, and worrying about commandments and law"?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is how it happens to you.

Paul teaching..

"""You foolish Galatians! (Chrisitans).... WHO has bewitched you?

""Are you so FOOLISH? After being born into the family of God by birth of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish God's Salvation by believing in works, and worrying about commandments and law"?

Behold, your whole statement does not makes sense, where you addressing something specific in order to tell me something cause this is just confusing to me? Sorry. Perhaps you did not mean to quote the post.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Behold, your whole statement does not makes sense, where you addressing something specific in order to tell me something cause this is just confusing to me? Sorry. Perhaps you did not mean to quote the post.

Let me explain it this way.

If you climb up a tree, and you fall out...
Where are you now?

You are no longer in the Tree., because you fell from it.
You are now separated from it.

And The Cross, is the TREE that Christ died on, so that by this shed blood and death you can be and are forgiven all your sin , forever, and join God's family based on this TREE where Jesus died for YOU., as this is the Cross of Christ.

So, when we think about.. "Preaching the Gospel".. we are really explaining the TREE and Christ's DEATH on This CROSS that is our Salvation.

This is "the preaching of the CROSS, that is = the power of GOD...unto SALVATION">

See it?

And when you no longer BELIEVE that this Cross of Christ is the only REASON and WAY that God offers to YOU< to become HIS, then you are fallen from FAITH, and fallen from GRACE, ... in your HEAD.

Your BELIEF is now WRONG< and that is why Paul said..>"you no longer OBEY the TRUTH" .. "you are FALLEN...from Grace"..

= In YOUR HEAD, where your FAITH, is all about what you BELIEVE.

Wrong faith, is broken faith., and to have broken faith is to have "fallen from Grace".

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Behold, sorry talking to me like I am a child is not going to help me. It's really disheartening to not understand what is going on. All the best man.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
@Behold, sorry talking to me like I am a child is not going to help me. It's really disheartening to not understand what is going on. All the best man.

No offense intended..

But notice...
Jesus sometimes spoke in parables that were designed for children.

Does this upset you also @MatthewG

And you dont have to tell me, '""well, you are not JESUS"..
As im certainly not, and neither are you, little one.
But i am "in Christ", and i am a very skilled Pauline Theologist.

Now,... notice.... real Teachers also do this.

Paul refers to Salvation, as "The simplicity that is IN Christ".

So, when leading someone out of broken faith, ... the way you do this is by sharing simple understanding that brings the person back to the STARTING Place, as they have left the path of Truth.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you just talking to me to pick at me? I’m not sure what the issue is? I haven’t even said anything to you and you come at me for what reason, @Behold? You look like you are acting a bit stupid to me. However do as you are choosing to. Love to you, and I don’t know what I did to deserve any of it. You just quoted me and went on spill, when asking what it is your trying to address.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:

Hebrews is similar, 4:

Hebrews 12:

Are they still saved?

Hebrews 6:4-6. The warning and consequences to the newly converted Jews; so yes, you can lose your salvation.

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.