What Does Forgiveness Look Like in Practice?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you haven't read the New Testament??
Could you help me out here, Jim?

I'm trying so hard to see the impersonal, non-combative aspect of this post.

This is about the point where you usually flip the -ignore- switch on me.

Let's see what happens. :hmhehmhmmx1:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it is happening on the forum, several times each day. @amigo de christo personally attacks me in almost every post. Have you not read his posts?
I asked both you and amigo to stop arguing on this thread.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still hoping to see what forgiveness looks like in practice....
IMHO forgiveness applies to people who, in one way or another, offend other people, become aware of their actions, repent, and ask forgiveness from those who have been offended. It does not apply who people continually intentionally offend people and do not regret their behavior. Jesus said “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” When people know what they are doing and justify their cruelty and bigotry, why should they be forgiven?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, let's start from that.

Does forgiveness ("passing over" the offense, which is not the same as reconciliation) require contrition from the offending party?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does forgiveness ("passing over" the offense, which is not the same as reconciliation) require contrition from the offending party?
Will look at the Scriptures and check.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will look at the Scriptures and check.
Does it even require that the offending party cease and desist from the offending behavior?

21 Then Peter came up and said to Him, “Lord, how many times shall my brother sin against me and I still forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus says to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy-seven times. - Matthew 18:21-22

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Matthew 6:14-15, it seems like forgiveness is to be extended to everyone.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Same with this example...

Matthew 18:21-22

King James Version

21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

I think you could only argue that offenders need to be repented if you just isolated this example in Luke.

Luke 17:4

King James Version

4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Reactions: Lambano

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it even require that the offending party cease and desist from the offending behavior?

21 Then Peter came up and said to Him, “Lord, how many times shall my brother sin against me and I still forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus says to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy-seven times. - Matthew 18:21-22

I didn't think so. But I thought Id be extra careful.

Reactions: Lambano

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
but we still have to pick up that free gift of salvation by repenting/humbling ourselves (which takes just enough faith to believe He is there with us at all times as are high preist that we can repent to), and then forgive others instead of cursing them, as He teachings and instructs you to do!!
You see that God requires us to repent before he forgives us.
I maintain that as imitators of Jesus we copy him in requiring repentance before forgiving.

To expect Christians to just forgive whenever they are sinned against is to expect of them something that God does not do.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Some food for thought:-
A theological 3xpert commenting on the legal issues in repentance and forgiveness.