What does the term “Spirit-filled” mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Spirit-filled means “filled with the Holy Spirit”, which is found only in these verses:
Luke 1:15, 1:41, 1:67, 4:1 … Acts 2:1-4, 4:8, 4:31, 9:17, 13:9 … Eph 5:18.

The Holy Spirit coming “upon” people always indicates the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 1:5-8
“… you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.
… you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;
and you shall be witnesses to Me … to the end of the earth.”

Another example of the Holy Spirit coming “upon” for the baptism with the Holy Spirit:
Acts 11:15-16
“And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them (the Gentiles),
as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said,
‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

The first occurrence of this Holy Spirit baptism is on the Day of Pentecost:
Acts 2:1-4
When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind,
and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided
tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
This experience is about being filled with the Holy Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues.

Acts 19:5-6
When they heard this, they were (water) baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them,
and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
3 things are mentioned here …
the laying on of hands, the Holy Spirit coming “upon” people, and speaking in tongues.

Acts 9:17
“And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said,
‘Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came,
has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.’ ”
The only thing mentioned here in association with being filled is the laying on of hands.

If we summarize the 5 passages, we can see how they are connected:

------------------------ Acts - Acts --- Acts - Acts -- Acts
------------------------ 1:5+ - 11:15+ - 2:1+ - 19:5+ - 9:17

baptism with Holy Spirit- Y ----- Y

Holy Spirit “upon” ------ Y ----- Y ----- Y ---- Y

filled with Holy Spirit ----------------- Y ------------ Y

speaking in tongues --------------------- Y ---- Y

laying on of hands ----------------------------- Y ----- Y

We see that being “Spirit-filled” has to do with the baptism with the Holy Spirit
where the Holy Spirit comes “upon” the person, who then speaks in tongues.
It has nothing to do with being born-again, where the Holy Spirit comes inside the person.
Although many people have experienced both simultaneously (as they did at Pentecost).

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Being spirit filled is to receive "power" to witness Christ. It is enabling power from on high to do the work of the ministry.

It has nothing to do with being born-again, where the Holy Spirit comes inside the person.
Although many people have experienced both simultaneously (as they did at Pentecost).
I agree with your synopsis.... :)

Bless ya!

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
evangelist-7 said:
Spirit-filled means “filled with the Holy Spirit”, which is found only in these verses:
Luke 1:15, 1:41, 1:67, 4:1 … Acts 2:1-4, 4:8, 4:31, 9:17, 13:9 … Eph 5:18.

The Holy Spirit coming “upon” people always indicates the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
Acts 1:5-8
“… you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.
… you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you;
and you shall be witnesses to Me … to the end of the earth.”

Another example of the Holy Spirit coming “upon” for the baptism with the Holy Spirit:
Acts 11:15-16
“And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them (the Gentiles),
as upon us at the beginning. Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said,
‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

The first occurrence of this Holy Spirit baptism is on the Day of Pentecost:
Acts 2:1-4
When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind,
and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided
tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
This experience is about being filled with the Holy Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues.

Acts 19:5-6
When they heard this, they were (water) baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them,
and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
3 things are mentioned here …
the laying on of hands, the Holy Spirit coming “upon” people, and speaking in tongues.

Acts 9:17
“And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said,
‘Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came,
has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.’ ”
The only thing mentioned here in association with being filled is the laying on of hands.

If we summarize the 5 passages, we can see how they are connected:

------------------------ Acts - Acts --- Acts - Acts -- Acts
------------------------ 1:5+ - 11:15+ - 2:1+ - 19:5+ - 9:17

baptism with Holy Spirit- Y ----- Y

Holy Spirit “upon” ------ Y ----- Y ----- Y ---- Y

filled with Holy Spirit ----------------- Y ------------ Y

speaking in tongues --------------------- Y ---- Y

laying on of hands ----------------------------- Y ----- Y

We see that being “Spirit-filled” has to do with the baptism with the Holy Spirit
where the Holy Spirit comes “upon” the person, who then speaks in tongues.
Good topic.. However, correction.. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is in fact the Holy Spirit coming inside a person. He comes upon us to indwell us.
The new birth is not the Holy Spirit coming inside a person. That which is born of the Spirit IS spirit. The Holy Spirit is not born of the Holy Spirit. That is illogical. The word "birth" is in reference to reproduction. Flesh begets flesh. Spirit begets spirit. Therefore the born again experience is the giving of a new spirit within a person. This new spirit is called the new man, and is created according to God in true righteousness and holiness (Eph.4:24) We are new creations, having His seed within us. This is the new birth. It does not involve the Holy Spirit indwelling us. That is a separate event.

I personally understand that the new birth is what Jesus referred to as the wineskin and the infilling of the Holy Spirit, the new wine. The one accommodates the other.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Although Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit, he did not begin his ministry until the Holy Spirit came down upon him after being baptized in the Jordon by John. Matthew 3:13-17. This was to fulfill all righteousness [the requirement of the law].

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Angelina said:
Being spirit filled is to receive "power" to witness Christ.
It is enabling power from on high to do the work of the ministry.
I agree with your synopsis.... :)
Yes, I describe this as an "anointing" ...
similar to the OT prophets receiving God's Spirit "upon" them when God required it.

IMO, no one has any of the 9 spiritual power gifts (1 Cor 12)
without first being baptized with the Holy Spirit.

IMO, none of the NT church leaders (Ephesians 4:11) were without this baptism.
This was the source of the power of the NT church, which was abandoned
by the big church organizations some time after the original apostles died off.

IMO, this was Satan's greatest triumph ... deceiving the church into
abandoning the Spirit baptism and the use of the 9 spiritual power gifts.
(And his second greatest triumph was the doctrine of OSAS.)

If a BAC desires this baptism, I suggest going the route of Matthew 7:7-11,
and don't forget the story of the persistent widow!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
To be Spirit filled is to be totally filled with God's wisdom, growing in Truth just as Jesus did.
Luke 2:41
40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
KJV
The Spirit is available to those who ask for it. It is considered a Gift of God for the Spirit guides us into all TRUTH of the Word and the Word raises us up in wisdom, integrity and godly character to where the blessings of God are given. When we are babes or children we may have an inheritance, but it is in control of others until we grow up. And the only way to grow up in Christ is by allowing the Gift of God to indwell us and bring us up as in son's of the Most High in the image of Christ so that we can RECIEVE our promised land of our inheritance.

Matt 7:12
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
KJV
Luke 11:13
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
KJV

Prov 9:1-6
9:1 Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
2 She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
3 She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,
4 Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,
5 Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
6 Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.
KJV
Prov 16:16
16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
KJV
Prov 3:13-19
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.

17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

19 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens.
KJV

Prov 8:12
12 I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

14 Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.

15 By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.

16 By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.

17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

18 Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.

19 My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
KJV

God is all attributes of male and female being Father, Son/Word and Holy Ghost our heavenly mother who teaches us of God's wisdom and all truth yet God is of no gender as we know gender, God is male. Adam was created both male and female in attributes in God's image in the beginning, but then God divided Adam into two and were eventually given skin and genitals to produce sons but in their fallen nature. But in Christ we are being restored. Oh the good rewards for those who seek after WISDOM!

Prov 8:19-32
19 My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.
20 I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment:

21 That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.
22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.
32 Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
KJV

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
I believe this might be a better chart ...

Acts 1:5-8 ------- baptism -- upon
Acts 11:15-16 -- baptism -- upon
Acts 2:1-4 --------------------- upon -- filled -- tongues
Acts 19:5-6 ------------------- upon ------------- tongues -- laying on of hands
Acts 9:17 --------------------------------- filled ----------------- laying on of hands

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Eph 5:17-18
17 Wherefore be ye not UNWISE, but understanding what the WILL of the Lord is.
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is EXCESS; but be filled with the Spirit;
KJV

Not in excess as in High minded, but be filled with the Wisdom of the Spirit.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
afaithfulone4u said:
Eph 5:17-18
17 Wherefore be ye not UNWISE, but understanding what the WILL of the Lord is.
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is EXCESS; but be filled with the Spirit;
KJV

Not in excess as in High minded, but be filled with the Wisdom of the Spirit.
The reason people drink, get high, etc. is because they are enjoying the effects. These however, do not last. The bottom line is that they are looking for fulfillment, satisfaction. They just want to feel good. The biblical term for this is "life". The dead are going about looking for life.

Paul is telling them to get these things from the Holy Spirit rather than from wine. The indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit gives life (quickens) our mortal bodies. This passage is simply about where we get our fulfillment (life) from. It is not about wisdom. I am not dismissing the importance of wisdom, but we ought not to insert our own ideas into a text. The text speaks for itself. From my own experience, being filled with the Spirit is a (super)natural high. It feels good. Booze and drugs are a poor substitute and a weak imitation of the real thing.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
...but we ought not to insert our own ideas into a text. The text speaks for itself. From my own experience, being filled with the Spirit is a (super)natural high. It feels good. Booze and drugs are a poor substitute and a weak imitation of the real thing.
Amen!

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
Like water baptism, baptism in/by the Holy Spirit happens only once. Once a cucumber has been baptized into pickle, remains a pickle and doesn't need to be rebaptized. But filling with the Holy Spirit should happen again and again.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
AndyBern said:
Like water baptism, baptism in/by the Holy Spirit happens only once.
Once a cucumber has been baptized into pickle, remains a pickle and doesn't need to be rebaptized.
But filling with the Holy Spirit should happen again and again.
Yes indeed, but to make what you have said extra clear ...

If a BAC is baptized with the Holy Spirit by Jesus, it is only done ONCE.

Then later, it is very beneficial that the Spirit-filled BAC be filled again and again.